UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #901
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I heard very much the same from someone else (age 34) who saw it. He said it's basically Michael Keaton playing Michael Keaton, with all of the comedy, tragedy, and warmth that that entails.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #902
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

So Concept mentioned that he had watched this movie Chronicle and liked it well enough and I felt like watching a movie so I decided I'd check it out.

It's not lifechanging but it's a pretty solid sci-fi/superhero movie/teen drama that defies the trappings of each genre to make a pretty compelling plot. Definitely would recommend it.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:46 AM   #903
Sneaze
Mrow?

Chronicle came out like three years ago how are people just now finding out about it? That said, it's pretty solid if you can put up with the obnoxious thing it does with only using camera angles as though they were actual cameras someone in real life were holding.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #904
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
It's pretty solid in general, the first "found footage" style film I actually enjoyed. There's a like five minute part two-thirds of the way through that really wants to be a good half an hour for better pacing but otherwise it's good.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #905
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Went to see Age of Ultron today. And holy shit can you tell it's a Whedon film. I enjoyed it, but thinking about it afterwards, had a lot of problems with it. I didn't care about most of them due to being hugely entertained, but fuck basically everything to do with Black Widow's character arc (minus her Scarlet-Witch-induced-nightmares, which were fascinating) in this film, it's just... Ugh. STOP WASTING THIS CHARACTER GOD DAMN IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #906
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
Interstellar may have just changed my life.
Just watched it, and it was very good. I also gasped out of shock at the climax which is a good sign. Definitely worth it.

Spoiler: show
I also want a TARS
Old 04-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #907
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Went to see Age of Ultron today. And holy shit can you tell it's a Whedon film. I enjoyed it, but thinking about it afterwards, had a lot of problems with it. I didn't care about most of them due to being hugely entertained, but fuck basically everything to do with Black Widow's character arc (minus her Scarlet-Witch-induced-nightmares, which were fascinating) in this film, it's just... Ugh. STOP WASTING THIS CHARACTER GOD DAMN IT
I know what you mean. Like I watched it and loved it, but then the more I thought about it afterwards the more disillusioned I became. And you know as much as Joss tried to split focus between all The Avengers in places, it was mostly a one man show in my opinion.

Worth a watch though.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #908
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

>Age of Ultron

A good film but not as good as the first. The problem they faced I think is that rather than being a story in its own right it was being used to set up more of the MCU. The explicit reveal of the Infinity Stone inside Loki's scepter as part of the build up for Avengers: Infinity War, the Cap-Stark tensions for Captain America: Civil War, and the introduction of Vision and Scarlet Witch (plus bringing Hawkeye and War Machine in) to give themselves flexibility to not have to include every hero in every Avengers film (loads of heroes have been part of the Avengers in the comics but it's only ever like 5 at a time). Plus Cap moving Thor's hammer slightly (even if he couldn't lift it properly yet) is definitely teasing that he'll get to swing it at some point - probably in Infinity War as Thor isn't (iirc) appearing in Civil War.

The first Avengers film was the payoff for all the buildup amongst the characters individual films. This one was mostly build up for the next phase of MCU and the two stories they really want to tell; Civil War and Infinity Crisis.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #909
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Have you noticed something about trailers lately?

BORKED

Link

Red Letter Media (the guys behind Mr. Plinkett) spoofs how formulaic trailers have become for all the action shlock we've had the past years.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #910
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Didn't watch the actual movie, but did see the Nostalgia Critic's take on The Legend of Zorro (2005), the sequel to the '90s classic The Mask of Zorro. I didn't even remember that this film (Legend) existed, but now I can see why: no one I knew was talking about it because it was such a huge disappointment.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #911
Mercutio
Banned

They're ok films really.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #912
Loki

Saw Avengers: Age of Ultron and Mad Max Fury Road. Both were very enjoyable.

Avengers:
The comic book nerd in me dislikes a good bit. Don't get me wrong, the film is still enjoyable as a film.

Ultron was not at all Ultron. He was very much just a generic villain. He wasn't even really a robot! He was way too human. And the parts where he seemed very Tony Stark didn't make sense either. Whereas in the comics, when he did something similar to Hank Pym, it was because he was created using Pym's brain patterns. Nothing of Tony was used for Ultron, so the similarities seemed out of place. Also, Ultron's goal felt strange. I can understand the idea of bringing peace through extinction (because what can be more peaceful than a barren wasteland?), but the whole idea of humanity's next evolution felt like an Apocalypse or Mutant goal.

Hulk vs. HUlkbuster was cool, but not really possible. Remember the Hulk gets stronger the angrier he gets. And he gets angrier the more you hit him! Only a small list of extremely powerful beings in the Marvel Universe can even come close to taking down the Hulk in a fight and Iron Man is nowhere near that list. Every punch, blast, or tackle would have made Hulk stronger and stronger until Tony was torn to bits. The lullaby made some sense, but Veronica didn't. I can understand a containment unit, maybe the suit diverts him away from the city. But to pummel the Hulk down and out, it's just not possible. Also, the whole fight scene was purely for the enjoyment of seeing the two clash. It had no real purpose characterwise.

Hulk/Banner x Black Widow relationship was weird and all kinds of wrong. I guess Marvel/Disney really want to ignore most of the Incredible Hulk film despite it being Marvel Film Universe Canon. Bruce couldn't even make out with Liv Tyler Betty Ross without worrying about destroying her as the Hulk. Why would Black Widow be any different?

There were also a lot of scenes you felt were cut and missing and something else put into place. Especially with Thor.

Mad Mad Fury Road:

Honestly, everything in this movie was to my liking. Having all the items be real as well as feeling realistic was very refreshing compared to the CGI and purposeless schlock we see in so many other action films. All the characters in the film have purpose and motivations and are fleshed out very well. The use of music really energized the film. And the whole thing was one giant chase scene. SPOILER: THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #913
Fallen
Boulder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen
Mad Max Fury Road was pretty hilariously awesome. Loved every second.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:03 AM   #914
Senjur
Pokemon Trainer

Get Hard and Spy
Senjur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #915
Mercutio
Banned

Jurassic World is dull.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #916
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Jurassic World is dull.
Thanks for the verdict. Trailers and commercials did not inspire me with confidence; I saw more Lost World and JP3 in them than the greatness of the original. Would've liked to have been wrong but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case here. Hopefully this means the end of them attempting to milk the JP cash cow.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #917
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Having seen Jurassic World with Kush, while it's kinda dull it's not bad per se. It's just kind of generic action/monster movie but with dinosaurs rather than aliens/something from 50 fathoms below Tokyo. It's full of cliches but still mildly entertaining. I'd give it a solid 3.5-4/5.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #918
Mercutio
Banned

Oh yeah it isn't *bad* per se I was just bored in a film about dinosaur fights and I'm someone who spends time on the internet imagining my giant monster beating the shit out of someone else's giant monster.

Points for a strong female character who exists for reasons other than getting rescued, though.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #919
Heather
Naga's Voice

So I just saw Jurassic World today.
I swear, Owen is drift compatible with those velociraptors, and the final showdown was truly nothing short of riveting at every moment, at least for me. Though the Monster Hunter fan in me, seeing Blue mount the big mutant dinosaur, couldn't help but shout "YES! Meownted like a pro!" mentally.

...I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. It took a bit long to get to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #920
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

Just saw Inside Out and I'll say this outside of spoilers: I thought it was charming with all of its (minor) flaws and I actually cried a bit at a few points. Definitely recommend to anyone because even though it may not speak to you directly it's an overall p. good movie.
In regards to the theme:
I thought that understanding that the movie was about growing up really made this stand out to me, because as Riley underwent the changes she did, we see at the end that the main thing that changed at the end of the movie was that her moments were more complex, which comes with growing up. I thought that was cool. Also her emotions, thanks to character development, were more complex as well, which I thought wa part of the genius in the movie. So that's what I have to say about that.

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #921
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Minions:

Pretty good! Not as good as Despicable Me imo but then I seem to be in a minority in that I felt Gru was the best part of that film and not the minions.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #922
Mercutio
Banned

See I only watched DM once and I basically nothinged it - can see why kids enjoy it and can see why adults enjoy it but it does nothing for me.

The minions did not factor in to my opinion at all.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #923
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Jurassic World:

So I was hesitant on watching this because it wasn't really something that seemed that interesting to me. But I did end up enjoying it through, heck even my sister did and she tends to hate movies like this or just not pay attention. So, I'd say it's pretty good, in my opinion. Worst thing was underestimating how many people were going to watch it, so my sister and I ended up in the very front row. Le sigh.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:33 AM   #924
Loki

Ant-Man

Very good. Was honestly surprised. I had been worried it would be yet another hero film with the same jokes and the same fight scenes, but Marvel changed it up a bit enough to pretty much make it great. It does have some cliches and the science is a bit off, but that's how comics are.

Sadly the film isn't performing all too well, being the 2nd worse after The Incredible Hulk. It's honestly good enough to not just see in theaters, but to see in 3D, something I myself didn't experience, but looking at the visuals, I do think it would have been pretty fun to see.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #925
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Given that it's as obscure a franchise as Ant-Man is, 90 million over the budget is pretty obscenely good for the first couple of weeks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment