UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

One Piece

Sorry to be that guy, but we don't have a One Piece thread.

About a month ago, I decided to start watching it again from the beginning, well, for no real reason, really. Prior to this the furthest I ever got in One Piece was midway into the Baroque Works arc before just kind of getting bored with it.

Talon: But... but... you could have been watching so many other BETTER things instead! ;_;

Right now, I am about to episode 350, near the halfway point of the Thriller Bark arc. It's terrible. I want it to end so badly, this has so far been the least enjoyable arc since Skypiea, if only because it's very evident that a lot of needless bullshit is happening to put off the main events in the story.

As the series as a whole stands, to say One Piece has been drawn out is definitely an understatement. Each episode only covers about a 17 page chapter from the manga on average, and the story, originally a one shot, has been going for over fifteen years now.

Currently in Japan, the story is only on the second saga of the second half of OP which follows a two year time skip akin to Naruto, and if the first half of five sagas is anything to go off of, that means OP is only about 70% done.

Thoughts thus far: OP is a hit or miss type show. Despite being the best shonen storywise, it has a lot of problems, it's biggest being that it desperately needs a TL;DR on a lot of the shit that happens. Some of the arcs actually have good stories, such as the back story to Drum Island Arc, Enies Lobby, and a few smaller ones. Some had interesting premises such as Skypiea, but were poorly executed or not good at all... like Skypiea.

The story as it's currently going makes sense as to why it would take a while to tell, yes, but when you throw in a LOT of the needless banter and unnecessary fights just to milk that cow, it gets bad.

Right now, I have a love/hate relationship with this show. There have been, to me, some genuinely funny and emotional moments, and I pretty much like all of the characters (except for some of their recurring personality traits that are trying to be funny, ie. Zoro and Sanji's rivalry, Nami's lust for money, and Usopp's 'I command 8,000 men' shpeel). I'd say that this show is definitely the best of 'the big three' shonen, but that's not saying too much.

Anyway, discuss, I guess.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Thriller Bark is one of the best arcs, manga-wise. It's the closest to what makes OP unique as a series - essentially Dragonball with a proper backstory to supplement the characters. The fact that you also dislike Skypiea, and probably like Enies Lobby, tells me you probably hate what OP really is and like the DBZ-style generic martial arts battles.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Not at all. I liked Enies Lobby primarily for Nico Robin and her story (one of the most emotional One Piece has had to offer) and the threat of the looming Buster Call, not to mention how dire the whole thing was. I'm not an action or battles kind of person. Again, I liked the premise of Skypiea, but I did not enjoy how drawn out it was - over half of the episodes were just running around aimlessly through a forest, and Eneru's cronies were annoying as hell. I was fine with Skypiea until they actually went to the Upper Yard.

What, in your eyes, is One Piece all about? Because the way I see it, it's about a grand journey - but things like the Davy Back Arc are just dreadful. And I'm still not enjoying Thriller Bark because, again, like Skypiea, they are aimlessly running around, only this time it's through the halls of a haunted castle on a haunted island ship.

I don't know. Maybe it is over my head and I'm trying to view it as something it's not. I really enjoy the character development plots and the stories that actually have intriguing writing (I'm very interested to see what happens in the Whitebeard War and Impel Down, and now that the entire crew has bounties, things with the Marines are going to get crazy, too).

Then again... you said "manga wise", and I have been watching the anime and only plan to start reading the manga again once I hit the latest episode. Maybe I shouldn't do that anymore and just switch over?

Last edited by deoxys; 02-07-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Not at all. I liked Enies Lobby primarily for Nico Robin and her story (one of the most emotional One Piece has had to offer) and the threat of the looming Buster Call, not to mention how dire the whole thing was. I'm not an action or battles kind of person. Again, I liked the premise of Skypiea, but I did not enjoy how drawn out it was - over half of the episodes were just running around aimlessly through a forest, and Eneru's cronies were annoying as hell. I was fine with Skypiea until they actually went to the Upper Yard.
Technically, the Nico Robin stuff happens before Enies Lobby really kicks off, since the SHP hadn't entered the facility proper (just waded through the court-yard) when they had the confrontation with CP9. Buster Call's role was stupid - information before and after Enies Lobby suggested it was unstoppable, but it ended up called down in the most retarded way, and was shown to be incompetent at everything but razing an ally fortress.

I can understand disliking the fodder fights of Skypiea. That's most of Upper Yard in a nut-shell. In fact, those are probably OP's weakness and are shared with the early part of Thriller Bark and later Fishman Island - filler fights are just not interesting. Baroque Works/Arabasta was filled with nothing but boss fights, and the boss fights at the end of Skypiea (and especially Thriller Bark) made for much more entertaining fanfare.

Quote:
What, in your eyes, is One Piece all about? Because the way I see it, it's about a grand journey - but things like the Davy Back Arc are just dreadful. And I'm still not enjoying Thriller Bark because, again, like Skypiea, they are aimlessly running around, only this time it's through the halls of a haunted castle on a haunted island ship.
It's an adventure of exploration/discovery with your friends. Skypiea in essence is a perfect microcosm of the entire series: the whole premise of OP is to explore Grand Line and find the great treasure, One Piece, at the end, while un-raveling the mysteries and histories surrounding it. Skypiea was about exploring a floating island with forgotten mysteries/histories and finding a treasure. Heck, Skypiea is even shaped like a skull - you can't get anymore classically pirate than that.

In that sense, Marinford and Water 7 are not what OP is about, but they were good intermissions from what is otherwise harmless (and mindless) adventure. Too many people get hung over the DRAMA and GRIMDARK and want the characters to be wretched/tortured...which is begging OP to turn into Naruto. Oda might have a snail's pace when it comes to writing but to his credit, he's talented/creative enough to avoid the pitfalls of resorting to cheap shock drama like that.

Quote:
Then again... you said "manga wise", and I have been watching the anime and only plan to start reading the manga again once I hit the latest episode. Maybe I shouldn't do that anymore and just switch over?
The anime's been bad for a while. OP was declining in ratings for several years, and around Enies Lobby it got booted from prime time TV (8:00 PM) and shifted to our equivalent of Saturday Morning...and following that, the direction/art/animation really hit the gutter. What the anime does now is just stretch out the manga, so you'll get a much more explosive experience if you read it instead, but it's still (essentially) the same. I was just speaking from a manga-only perspective since I haven't seen the anime in years.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

I think you and I see eye to eye on both the strengths and weaknesses of OP then. I completely agree with everything you said, even how pathetic the Buster Call wound up being (but the atmosphere it created leading up to it was nice). I think you basically just worded my thoughts a lot better than I did.

I did enjoy the Baroque Works saga. Little Garden and Alabasta were the best there as well, and to be honest, I'm glad the war in Alabasta wound up breaking out and not being stopped in a cliched manner at the last second. Obviously it was crucial to the plot for it to happen, but building up to it I was so sure they were going to pull the ol' 1-2 on us, but they didn't.

I do enjoy some of the drama when it happens, I'll admit, but I don't wish for any 'grimdark' or 'drama' to happen as you make it seem the fans want, but then again I have no idea what the mindset of the OP fanbase is.

Perhaps Thriller Bark will get better, but the first 1/2 suffers from what you pointed out as uninteresting battles and roaming around.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The fight at the end of Thriller Bark was, IMV, the best overall in the series to that point. Luffy's boss battles were always great, but that came at the expense of the other SHP officers having less than stellar ones.

I make no secret on how condescending I am toward Enies Lobby and a contributing part of that was how poor the fights were. The first few...Franky v. Fukurou and Chopper v. Kumadori were good, but the fundamental problem was CP9 had the same skill-sets, so each fight was going to be inherently repetitive. The end result were four pasta fights with the same brand of deus ex finisher. Usopp also got jobbed by the whole arc, contributing nothing substantial to the rescue effort except in one heavily contrived, unnecessarily dramatized delay tactic.

After going through this, Thriller Bark's fight was pretty much everything I wanted out of the CP9 fights, although I shan't spoil it because it was truly a pleasure to read.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Doppelganger has a point. Some of the battles in thriller bark are actually better than Enies Lobby. In my opinion thats because everyone (including Usopp) finally joined in fighting. So far, anyone I know that watches One Piece tells me that Enies Lobby was one if the best arcs. Though I think thats mainly due to the declaration of war, the characters' new techniques and Luffy's battle which was his most exhausting one yet.

I'm somewhere in the 480's or 490's. All I'll say for now is that I just finished a battle that grabbed ky attention. Then they drew out the arc (what One Piece does best) which made me lose interest and. have it done with. And then it finally got more interesting in the end, but I still somewhat wish there were other characters present. (You'll understand this last part when you reach that point).
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
One Piece is really good for me since I like the slapstick comedy that the Pokemon anime had elements of but isn't totally full of it like One Piece is. Water 7 saga is really good since it challenges the Straw Hats and forces Luffy to deal with dissension. It's also good at the Sabaody arc (the saga after Thriller Bark), Amazon Lily is meh (though it does have snakes! =3), Impel Down is pretty fun, and Marineford is just plain crazy.

Also, Sanji. *points at current avatar*

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

So right now I'm three episodes into the time skip, episode 520. Here are my thoughts on what's happened since I last posted (SPOILERS below if you are way behind in One Piece!):

Thriller Bark got better in the last 1/3 of the arc. Bartholomew Kuma taking Luffy's pain and giving it to Zoro was a killer scene and easily one of the most memorable.

Following this, I took quite a liking to Brook who is definitely my favorite now (his humor + music + the humming sword technique). Of course after this the major arc was Sabaody and...

The introduction of the Celestial Dragons. Man, fuck everything about these guys. Obviously you're supposed to hate them, but I'll be damned if Oda doesn't do a good job making you. With their introduction, One Piece took quite a dark turn with the whole underground slave trading deal and underlying tones of some of them being sex slaves. Really dark stuff for a cartoon like One Piece to be taking on. It's very hard for me to accurately pinpoint the actual target demographic for this show, because while One Piece definitely feels like it's aimed at the preteen shonen target about 65-70% of the time, that other 30-35% treads on some pretty adult water...

So Sabaody ended great. Overall one of the better arcs, and the showdown with Kuma and Kiruzen was hard to watch but intense. Obviously seemed like Kuma had ulterior motives, and I question if he knew what he was doing when he sent the straw hats to their respective islands which would inevitably improve all of them (I imagine he did).

Amazon Lily was okay. It got boring pretty quickly, but Boa Hancock was a saving grace. I find her love with Luffy to be cute and funny. Wouldn't mind at all if by the end of the series they did wind up together (though post-time skip Luffy has turned her down twice already ^^;)

Impel Down was where it started getting great. A classic prison break plot, and it was great. Magellan made one hell of a villain with his venom attacks, and Luffy being almost killed and then go through the torture he did under Ivan's treatment... again, dark shit. Hard to hear all of that screaming. On that plus side, we got Bon Clay back (briefly)! And of course the whole working with Crocodile, Buggy, and Mr. 1 and 3 was neat. And Jinbe, goddamn what a bro. I fucking love that guy.

Marineford. It was all building up to this. And what an absolutely intense and thrilling arc it was. So many things happened! First we learned that Ace was actually Roger's son, and that was definitely one out of left field for me. Did not see that coming. Whitebeard was a truly frightening pirate for sure, given the damage count by the end of the whole thing. The man truly was a monster. I didn't like the whole shichibukai teaming up to protect the government thing, but I guess it makes sense giving that that's what they do. Here, we met Akainu, a truly terrible man with the power of the Magma Magma fruit. When he landed the fatal blow on the just rescued Ace, man. I knew that it was going to happen, but the way it happened was brutal... and his last words to Luffy as he died in his arms actually made me cry. "Thank you for loving me." God. Damn.

Seriously, everyone was there. Smoker, the seven warlords, all of these brand new characters, Luffy, Crocodile, Buggy, the admirals, Sengoku (and by the way, the human human fruit: buddha model was scary as fuck). And to see Shanks show up at the very end - perfect. Everything about the arc was just great. And again, Jinbe was always putting his life before Luffy's and saving his ass left and right. What a guy.

Also, Trafalgar Law is pretty great, too. I imagine he and Luffy will probably end up as allies though he doesn't seem to think so, and even if not, still.

And now here we are. Already have seen how Luffy utilizes Haki/Willpower, and it already seems OP (knocking out the pirates just by looking at them?). Guess we'll see.

All in all, it's gotten MUCH better, but I do wish it wasn't as drawn out as it has been. The anime quality, by the way, has gotten MUCH better again right around the time skip, probably the best it's been yet. Still wish they weren't making each episode as long as a chapter, but eh.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Unfortunately, from what I've been told (and I more or less pushed OP away at the time-skip) you're about to hit some serious decline. The much-hyped Fishman Island arc turned out to be a poor man's Skypiea, and the current arc Punk Hazard isn't outrageously better beyond the appearance of the "New World elites", i.e. admirals, Shichibukai and the like.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Looks like it's building up to another Alabasta-esque arc with Dressrosa coming up, though, so we do have that to look forward to.

And I like that you have Perona as your avatar, Deo.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Spoiler: Everything I mention concerns after the time-skip. If you don't know what I mean, you probably shouldn't read on.
Spoiler: show
So, I've just continued watching and I'm currently at Fishman Island. I have to say, I enjoyed the first few episodes after the time-skip. The whole idea of the Straw Hat crew being an infamous, feared name was awesome. They've built up their reputation. I seriously enjoy the extra powers they've gained. I'm about to watch the battle between the Strawhat Crew and the New Fishman Crew soon. Can't wait to see what potential they have.

Also, Gemini, I like how your avatar changed at about the same time I was watching those episodes. Your location makes it complete

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:

Last edited by Ex-Admiral Insane; 08-18-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ha, you're at the exact spot I'm at. I'm on episode 533 right now! Funny how things work out.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #14
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Well, I finished watching episode 586. Now I need to wait week after week.
How's everyone else doing so far?

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #15
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

I need to catch up on the anime, though I am caught up on the manga. Dressrosa arc FTW!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Dylan_Cypher
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Dylan_Cypher Send a message via MSN to Dylan_Cypher Send a message via Yahoo to Dylan_Cypher Send a message via Skype™ to Dylan_Cypher
I'm a recent convert to the One Piece fandom. I've been watching the Funimation dub. So I've seen through episode 252. I'm right smack in the middle of the CP9 arc. I would watch the sub except that my outlook is that if I'm gonna be reading it I might as well read the manga. I will say this now though. I was a bit sympathetic to the world government in One Piece.... Until I found out about CP9. Gods all around us CP9...
Dylan_Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Wait, I haven't seen any place that shows dub episodes beyond 217, where did you see those episodes?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
Dylan_Cypher
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Dylan_Cypher Send a message via MSN to Dylan_Cypher Send a message via Yahoo to Dylan_Cypher Send a message via Skype™ to Dylan_Cypher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
Wait, I haven't seen any place that shows dub episodes beyond 217, where did you see those episodes?
DubbedAnime.net has up through 240 I searched out the other 12 I think Watchcartoons and Animefreak were my other two sources.
Dylan_Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

So this thread hasn't seen a lot of love lately. How's everyone doing with keep up? I've forgotten to look at the more recent episodes. I think the last one I saw was episode 602. My manga-reading friends have told me the next arc was going to be kick-*** and be one of the best ones yet. I do wonder if they could top the CP9 Arc though?

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Old 08-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
deoxys
Fog Badge

I haven't watched One Piece since my marathon at the beginning of the year and I really have no desire to. I think I'll pick up the manga where I left off and continue like that and just read it weekly since it's faster and isn't as time consuming.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Yeah I keep hearing that the manga is a lot better with the jokes being done a bit better as well. (Panda-man?).
Slowness is the reason I prefer watching a few episodes after each other on a lazy day rather than 1 episode each week that showcases so little. (Dam that Oda for following in the footsteps of Dragonball.)

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I haven't read OP in like 4 years. I'll probably wait until something huge happens before catching up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #23
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
I dunno, I'm following it, but it's a bit boring right now :p
Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I dunno I think this current arc is one of the best arcs so far. Punk Hazard had some boring parts but everything is intense right now.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Maybe it's because I'm just forgetful so I mix things up.

luffy fighting it out with that old man, I don't know what I was thinking :p

Hey, don't judge me, I have a lot of active manga right now ;;

ugh whatever just ignore me I just lost all my credibility

Last edited by Fallen Icarus; 08-18-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: I'm not a sheep, I promise :p
Fallen Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime