UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 04-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #51
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

You're totally right Emi,
and the ideas here already are great and definitely productive and I think the conversation needs to continue as there's a ton to work out. I just think it shouldn't be at the detriment of core mechanics.

>Connor

Great. I'll take a look when I get home.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #52
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Jellicent I have eyes and ears everywhere, ohohohohoho~

The whispers have reached me. The time has come.

So, this may be odd, coming from me, but... I do not want to see RP becoming mandatory, especially in the shops. I also think that the RP requirements in zones have steadily been growing too harsh, with bars being raised too high.

The FB I remember - way back in 2004 - had very little roleplay in shops, and if it existed, it was jokey one liners at best. Length requirements were nonexistent, and while I would argue that we shouldn't go BACK to this... I do wonder if the focus on quality roleplay has become such that 1) it alienates those who are not strong writers, and 2) it puts pressure to make every post a massive literary work... such that posting becomes more difficult, and slows down the whole process.

Don't get me wrong. I RP all over the damn place, and write novels, because I gain great satisfaction from doing so. But this is my choice, and not a choice I want to force on others. The core of FB, ironically enough, is not in RP, the way I see it.

The core of FB is its zones. Its shops. Its text-based games. Its interactivity among members. Roleplay supports this, increases immersion, helps members get to know each other and develop characters... but at the end of the day... it's supposed to be a game.

I will be participating in the Discord chat. I am eager to hear what others have to say about this... fascinating opportunity before us.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #53
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Hi guys,

Just want to report in to the general populace. There have been some very productive conversations taking place on Discord and a proposal is being drafted for everyone to take a look at and debate on the forums soon! Remember, what is proposed in Discord chat will be largely informal and there's no one making any decisions yet, so if you're not able to join the Discord chats or miss them - hold tight!

Also totally please keep talking here! We've mostly been hashing out stuff in broad strokes so if you have a specific aspect of the game you want to talk about, this is a great place to do it.

Thanks to everyone who's helped so far! I hope we can keep pushing forward together to make FB something for everyone.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #54
Connor
Flashbacker

Here is a link to the current raw summaries of what has been discussed so far. The proposal is still incoming, so look out for that, but feel free to look at/discuss points outlined here so far.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #55
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Since the discussion of shops and moves has come up I'll mention this before the topic moves on, just to throw it out there:

MT and Egg Moves: This doesn't have to be a weekly drop-off any more. We currently have the option where people can buy TMs in bulk if they have the coins and use them on their Pokémon in one sweep, rather than the slow and tedious endeavour of having to come in on Mondays. I don't see why we can't do the same for the other types of teachable moves. Just pool all the move-teaching locations into one and have players pay for the moves like they do for anything in the Pokémart and for the TMs. It's much easier to keep the same move-teaching principle for ALL of the moves as much as possible, rather than having three different methods (with regards to the shops that is). Obviously, if this does happen the costs for MT and EM should be altered to match those of TMs since we're lifting the weekly time restriction off of them.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #56
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Admiral Insane View Post
Since the discussion of shops and moves has come up I'll mention this before the topic moves on, just to throw it out there:

MT and Egg Moves: This doesn't have to be a weekly drop-off any more. We currently have the option where people can buy TMs in bulk if they have the coins and use them on their Pokémon in one sweep, rather than the slow and tedious endeavour of having to come in on Mondays. I don't see why we can't do the same for the other types of teachable moves. Just pool all the move-teaching locations into one and have players pay for the moves like they do for anything in the Pokémart and for the TMs. It's much easier to keep the same move-teaching principle for ALL of the moves as much as possible, rather than having three different methods (with regards to the shops that is). Obviously, if this does happen the costs for MT and EM should be altered to match those of TMs since we're lifting the weekly time restriction off of them.
I like this idea. Would there be the same price for moves taught in this manner across the board, or would better moves cost more to teach, like with TMs, considering a TM Sludge Wave is far pricier than a TM Infestation? Obviously, I'm thinking it'd be just one flat price for Egg moves in general, since there's so many possible Egg moves, so I don't expect us to put individual prices on virtually every move in existence, but what of MT moves, as there's a notably more limited pool of them to choose from?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #57
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
I'm just going to do this here:

Regarding this passage in the word file.

Quote:
ZA and SO Placement: When there is need for a ZA or an SO, the mods will post that they are looking for applicants for that position. People can apply for that position privately to the mods, who will then choose an applicant they feel is best qualified for the position. This is then sent to the community, who will decide whether to make that person an ZA or an SO. An overwhelming majority in the negative will mean the choice is vetoed and a new applicant will have to be picked.
I don't see why a mod should do this. Mods should be ideally be purely practical just how the point "mods" describes it. Applications can be open for the whole community to see, and if someone should do picks, it should be other ZA's and/or SO's.

But ideally an election like vote should put all the power in the hands of the community, and if too many people apply for a position, a second round of votes can be held. A mod can step in in this process to facilitate a poll and thread for this, but imho not by making decisions on who we even get to vote on.

My personal opinion on mods being that they should have exactly zero executive power, and are only there to serve the community.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #58
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I disagree. The mods are there in order to try and provide an unbiased viewpoint on who has the best qualifications. The community still holds the power to actually let the person through, and a mod is not going to want to go against the community if they say no. It's basically like how America picks Supreme Court justices: The President makes nominations while the Senate votes to let them pass or not. It's going to be difficult to make any abuses of power.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #59
Meetan
Soul Badge

I know our last mods were absolute tyrants, but I feel like we're veering in the opposite direction just for the sake of it. Mods can have executive power and still serve the community. It's necessary sometimes.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #60
Emi

In fairness, I agree but also think power needs to be distributed more. In part because the mods cannot do everything, but also in part because even if the mods turn out to be knobs they can't singlehandedly take control of the entire RP.

Sometimes you do need some executive power in order to most help out the community. We have plenty of examples of mods in this very forum who do.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #61
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
I like this idea. Would there be the same price for moves taught in this manner across the board, or would better moves cost more to teach, like with TMs, considering a TM Sludge Wave is far pricier than a TM Infestation? Obviously, I'm thinking it'd be just one flat price for Egg moves in general, since there's so many possible Egg moves, so I don't expect us to put individual prices on virtually every move in existence, but what of MT moves, as there's a notably more limited pool of them to choose from?
Haven't fully thought out the details for this yet but I think price differences is definitely something we should consider if we implement this system. TMs already have that and I guess it's based on the price differences in the game. MT also have price differences in the game (save for Draco Meteor and the elemental beams) so I suppose that could be used as a method to decide on the price differences in FB. Egg moves would be trickier to do that for. We could have one flat price for all egg moves OR we could come up with a system to decide the differences like base power or so OR we scrap it and say egg moves are only obtainable from now on by breeding in the breeding centre (if we keep that) and giveaway events.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #62
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I disagree. The mods are there in order to try and provide an unbiased viewpoint on who has the best qualifications. The community still holds the power to actually let the person through, and a mod is not going to want to go against the community if they say no. It's basically like how America picks Supreme Court justices: The President makes nominations while the Senate votes to let them pass or not. It's going to be difficult to make any abuses of power.
But why go the long way when the short way is just as easy and probably quicker? People apply, a mod makes a thread and poll, people vote and get the ZA or SO they want. As a whole the community is unbiased too, and if not, there still wouldn't be a problem as a majority voted that way.

Applications can be to send a mod in PM, but a vote should imho be among ALL applicants regardless of how the application process goes.

@Meetan's post (forgot to multi-quote >_<): Sure, a mod can have that power, but so far I don't see why they should in the process of putting people in positions.
Quote:
Mods: The Mods’s power ultimately comes down to things that only people with mod powers can do, such as stickying, moving, or deleting threads and subforums, disciplinary issues, and being a guiding force in policy matters. Mods have autonomy on disciplinary issues.
This from the word file is fine and includes all the power a mod should have. E.g. the power any regular mod on any regular forum has, keeping the forum clean and safe.

If need be the future FB mod can be the one to decide on the holiday events when a structure for that is put in place, someone's got to do that after all, and a mod will have to stick the thread so might as well start it too.
Everything else can be decided by the community as a whole perfectly well by vote. And after that a mod can help think about implementing it, for as far as that would be needed, together with whoever else the community made decision concerns.

Unrelated note about the SC comparison: We're not picking SC justices, we're picking a volunteer, to help other volunteers do and improve their volunteering. Don't make stuff sound more official/formal than it needs be. It will only scare people away from being willing to do it.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #63
Connor
Flashbacker

Bluntly the community is not unbiased. There can and will be votes which end up being won on popularity rather than legitimate qualification. The proposed system reduces this to the minimum.

ASB is not entirely comparable but in this it is. The power structure there works absolutely fine. The power structure here will work absolutely fine. What you're asking for is a glorified clerical assistant, what we need is a community leader.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #64
Sneaze
Mrow?

So I'm just going to say now that I 100% agree with Connor here, but everyone should be allowed to state their argument.

So, Esca, for the sake of argument, where would these glorified clerks fit into the power tree? Note that if they fall below ZAs/SOs (which granted their amount of work, they logically should), the argument becomes why are we not giving those powers to ZAs/SOs and calling it a day. Heck, the same argument stands true for if they were for some reason on the same rung of power. And the clear problem here is that it has already been stated that we will not be allowed that many people with moderation plwers. So, the only place left is on top, but putting someone with so few responsibilities above those that would be assuming all the other roles of leadership is nonsensical. As such, it just makes most sense to have a small group of proper moderators with the most power but *also* the most responsibility and highest amount of possible ways to keep power in check, as the top rung.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #65
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

My personal opinion on the various aspects of move learning in FB;

By level-up: Nothing really to change here. Level 1 moves being automatically learned upon evolution is something I think is worth keeping. Hell, it's something the games have started to adopt as of Sun and Moon- not quite to the same degree as FB, but even still. Also, I'm all for the ability to teach Pokémon level-up moves they only got in past generations, like Tackle to Nidoran, or Hydro Pump to Kabutops, as we've been able to do. We've also been able to use the Move Tutor to teach Pokémon moves they were able to learn at earlier levels in previous generations, like Glare to a level 12 Dunsparce despite only getting it at that level in, like, B2/W2 or something. I'm not sure if that should remain as-is, if only because of another idea of mine...

...namely, the move relearning service. It's always been a thing in FB, and IMO should remain intact, but... Those of you who've played through Sun and Moon will no doubt know by now that the move relearner in those games will teach moves learned at any level, whether the Pokémon has reached that level or not. I'd be all for something like this coming to FB, though perhaps in the sake of fairness, implement a price for moves learned at a later level- possibly a steeper one than average, to discourage abusing the system and/or encourage people to RP more in order to be able to afford such a service. I myself might not use such a service all that often- my Pawniard, for example, I'll likely take my time leveling her up, but ho, boy, would I love to be able to teach her Night Slash.

TMs: As has been mentioned before, remove the official restrictions. The ability to teach any TM to any Pokémon was a part of the charm of FB back then, even if there was ample potential to screw up. *glances at my Qwilfish* But yeah- such added flexibility would really open up possibilities.

HMs: I'm thinking keep the HM teaching service as part of whatever we combine the Training Center and Move Tutor into, keep it restricted to only stuff that can learn the moves in-game, but at the same time, expand it so the Pokémon doesn't necessarily need to learn the move via HM. Rowlet, for instance, gets it as an Egg move, but obviously doesn't exist in any game where Defog is taught by an HM.

Move Tutors: As EAI has suggested, these do not necessarily need to be a weekly dropoff. In the games, move tutoring is instantaneous, just like using a TM, so why not have it be like that here? Also, I'm thinking introduce the XD move tutors- those have always been conspicuously unavailable in FB. One more thing- my personal opinion, allow the teaching of MT moves that would ordinarily only be available to a Pokémon's pre-evolution, whether due to move compatibility (i.e. Kakuna can learn Iron Defense while Beedrill cannot) or just the evolution being introduced later on and the move never being a tutor move again (i.e. Roselia can learn Mimic but the move never came back as an MT move once Roserade was introduced).

Egg moves: I'm thinking that a flat rate might be the way to go with these in terms of pricing, if only because implementing a system to figure out the price for virtually any move in the game would be a bit... complicated. Perhaps unnecessarily so. Even if we go by the base power of a move, what of status moves? That might be a bit tricky to figure out, and I don't think we can feasibly put together a price guide for every Egg move ever, or at least not one that's easy to navigate. MT moves, yes, considering there's a much smaller pool of those to work with. Currently, the rules do allow for the teaching of Egg moves that have since lost their Egg move status, like Bulbasaur and Razor Wind, or Starmie and Aurora Beam/Supersonic/Barrier. I see no reason to change that, honestly.

I'm also thinking that Egg moves should become a more common occurrence in whatever we end up retooling the Egg House into, since we're pretty much all agreed that Eggs in and of themselves will not be anywhere as easily obtainable as they are currently. And just for the record, I personally am against removing the ability to teach Egg moves.

Shadow moves: The current system seems fair- Two Shadow moves to start with, another one every ten levels, and all the rest upon reaching level 100. The only thing I would suggest is maybe finding a way to make the four legendary-exclusive Shadow moves learnable by Shadow Pokémon through a different means- maybe make them expensive Move Tutor moves, or make them only obtainable upon hitting level 100, or something like that. This is just a suggestion, though.

Custom moves: FB's introduced a lot of Custom Moves throughout the years, all of which I am most definitely in favor of keeping around. I do have a few suggestions in regards to them;

1: Rename Copycat. It shares its name with an official attack, and I just think it can get confusing. Especially if it's taught to something that knows the official move by the same name.

2: Maybe remove Ice Barrier's restriction- as of now, it can only be taught to Ice-types. It's the only Custom Move that isn't IQ-locked to have such a restriction.

3: This, I believe, was suggested once before- an annual contest, similar to UPC, in which we can submit our own ideas for new Custom Moves for the community to vote on. The winner gets their Custom Move made official, and gets the first TM for their Custom Move (or whatever item would teach the move).

Via purification: This... should be a thing in FB. I believe I mentioned at some point earlier that I am in favor of some sort of incentive to purify Shadow Pokémon. I have only a vague idea of how this could be implemented, but right now, my thoughts are that upon purifying a Shadow Pokémon, you'd have the option to replace each and every Shadow move with a move that the Pokémon cannot normally learn. This should be restricted, but at the same time, there would ideally be a very large pool of moves to choose from, considering how wide some movepools can be. Among the moves that could be taught in this way, there's stuff like Heal Bell, Helping Hand, Follow Me, Sing, and Refresh- you know, purification moves from XD. In addition, we could add stuff like Aromatherapy, Lovely Kiss, and so forth. If it seems like too much, maybe we can change it so every three or four Shadow moves equals one new, normally unlearnable move.

From events: This should be possible, but not easy. Using Banette as an example- in Generation V, there was a Dream World Halloween event that allowed you to get a Cursed Body Banette with the move Cotton Guard, which Banette doesn't normally learn. Perhaps only during special holiday events, a pass could be distributed for event moves, allowing you to cash it in at the move learning facility (whatever we end up calling the Move Tutor/Training Center fusion) to teach one Pokémon a move its kind has only gotten from an event- in this example, I could use it to teach Cotton Guard to either of my Banette. Barring that, maybe this could be an added feature of in-zone Move Tutors, as part of an incentive to RP.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #66
Emi

I'm going to hop on the move learning topic here, I think its interesting to go into.

Level-Up Moves: In my opinion, I think we should move away from using only the latest Pokedex to using a merged Pokedex / learn-set from any main game. This is a lot easier on the system as a whole; there's no need to drop Pokemon off to learn moves they frankly should just know. Gamefreak can be fickle with movesets sometimes, and it doesn't make sense for a move to be learned one minute and not the next.

I'm again a move relearner teaching moves of any level. We do actually want an incentive to level, for one. Bar PC slots, which require iirc you to level your Pokemon to Level 50 or Level 100, moves are a natural part of that. Levels obviously don't have much of a concrete place, but I think removing one of the concrete reasons to level a Pokemon is short-sighted.

TMs: I'm for removing the official restrictions. At the time I thought it was unnessecary and anti-fun; I still hold that opinion.

HMs: In my opinion, there's little reason to change this. HMs are not a very important resource in FB to begin with.

Move Tutors: In my opinion we should have a scaling system. Moves take a week to learn, but you do not have to pick up your Pokemon every week. Instead, you can drop them off for say 3 weeks in order to learn three move tutor moves, as long as you pay for it of course. This reduces the "Monday grind" and makes the shop more fluid and easier to deal with for the Shop Owners.

XD move tutors should be allowed, since for all intents and purposes, they are main games. I'm also for evolved Pokemon learning move tutor moves that they may have missed (this is technically possible in-game anyways) or are unable to learn it because Gamefreak is stupid and made an oversight (Iron Defense Beedrill for example).

I also think there should be Move tutors in zones as well. One can complete a short RP adventure or task in order to learn a move in lieu of a payment (or a reduced payment, if people feel that is better balance wise). In addition, we could use this resource to teach event moves. A Move Tutor in Phantom Isle could teach Banette Cotton Guard because its a Ghost Pokemon or Gengar Sludge Wave (which could also be learned in a more Poison-themed area).

Egg Moves: Don't overcomplicate things. Don't make it so we have a sliding scale on how much they're worth; its a system that's difficult enough to do with TMs, and TMs are only 100 moves out of the entire bunch.

Eggs should probably always hatch Pokemon with Egg Moves if we restrict them a lot. It makes Eggs a little more worthwhile considering you are never guaranteed to get what you want.

Custom Moves: All of MM's suggestions are on point, in my opinion.

Purification Moves: This one is very touchy for me. First of all, do we have Shadow Pokemon that didn't exist in Gen III? If the answer to that is no, do we have Shadow Pokemon that weren't Shadow Pokemon to begin with? If the answer to that is _also_ no, then its simple: Shadow Pokemon lose their Shadow moves and gain their normal level-up set as well as the Purification moves they learned in-game.

If the answer to either of this is yes, we will probably want to make a list of all possible purification moves and allow the trainer to pick four of them out of that list. It would be unfair to restrict a canon Shadow Pokemon either, in my opinion.

I have no idea how we actually get purication to work...do we have a system in place? I forget.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #67
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Purification Moves: This one is very touchy for me. First of all, do we have Shadow Pokemon that didn't exist in Gen III? If the answer to that is no, do we have Shadow Pokemon that weren't Shadow Pokemon to begin with? If the answer to that is _also_ no, then its simple: Shadow Pokemon lose their Shadow moves and gain their normal level-up set as well as the Purification moves they learned in-game.

If the answer to either of this is yes, we will probably want to make a list of all possible purification moves and allow the trainer to pick four of them out of that list. It would be unfair to restrict a canon Shadow Pokemon either, in my opinion.

I have no idea how we actually get purication to work...do we have a system in place? I forget.
I know someone in FB has a Shadow Chimchar, though that might be Tess... I know for a fact that GS has a Shadow Tepig, though, and that uhhhhh has a Shadow Elgyem. I know there's also stuff from Gens I-III that are Shadow Pokémon in FB that weren't Shadow Pokémon in-game. Chimecho. Jolteon. Slowpoke. So yeah, I'm liking the idea of compiling a list of purification moves and allowing people to pick from that. I still like the idea of getting more purification moves if you had more Shadow moves- the way I see it, it further encourages leveling up.

As for purification, the way it currently works in FB is that you have to earn Purification Points. Shadow Pokémon earn 1 Purification Point from participating in a battle in a zone, 2 for winning a Trainer Battle or a Contest, and half a point from a shop stay. 20 Purification Points are required for purification, 10 are required to evolve something with a happiness evolution.

Also took the liberty of compiling a list of special moves that Pokémon only got as a result of purification in XD:

Refresh
Heal Bell
Sing
Charm
Sweet Kiss
Helping Hand
Baton Pass
Tri Attack
Morning Sun
Follow Me
Feather Dance
Psycho Boost
Extrasensory
Haze
Metal Sound
Will-O-Wisp

EDIT: On a much more minor note, much as I like alliteration, I have another idea as far as Custom Moves- namely, renaming Frosted Flake Fall to something more simple, such as Razor Snow.

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 04-06-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Missingno. Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #68
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

I was planning on writing a lot more than this, but life likes to punch me in the face and grief is a motivation killer. Sorry if it's a mess.

On the subject of mods and power: Sneaze already brought up one of my issues with mods having no executive power.

As for the other:

In my experience, passion projects suffer at both extremes. If there's one, or a small group of people at the top that don't communicate with the rest of the people involved/shut down suggestions with little to no discussion/micromanage everything/etc, then it hemorrhages people and positive change is difficult unless it comes from those at the top. Which is rare, especially if there's a problem already.

On the other side, I've seen just as many die or suffer because they were too democratic. If everything needs to be voted on, then people at all levels are afraid of overstepping their bounds doing anything, and nothing can get done at anything other than glacial pace. Things drag on, and people lose interest and leave as a result.

FB has the benefit of not being something with hard set deadlines for actual events (like most of the things I have direct experience with), but I would still suggest a middle ground, because going straight back to a glacial pace and losing tons of members again isn't the goal here. I understand (and agree with), the need to not give as much power to any small group of mods, but there's plenty of ways to limit power. Elect the mods. Add the ability to remove mods or any new rules that a majority of the community (the percentage of which needed for each decided on by the community) disagrees with via vote. Foster good communication and transparency between the mods and the community. Have some things (but not every little policy change) become decided on by the community at large.

But every little thing doesn't need to be community decided first. Discussed, especially if some members have problems with it, sure. But having ten different polls that go on for weeks before anything can be done will only make FB slow to a crawl (again). Pure democracy is fine for now, while trying to establish a ground work for everything. But once that is in place, giving a few elected people the ability to enact policy changes, with safeguards in place to prevent a "dictatorship", should be plenty. It is okay for the community to let mods handle some of the small, tedious stuff without having to vote on everything. Abuses of power, or bad policies, are what the ability to vote them out are for.

I don't think I've got anything to add re: shops that someone hasn't said already, and my ability to focus is going, so I'll leave it at that.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #69
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Mega Dunsparce

Hi all. I guess I'm a bit of an old man when it comes to Fizzy Bubbles. I definitely have fond memories but I also remember many of the mistakes we made in hindsight. I'm glad FB isn't simply being thrown to the wayside and you can keep it's legacy going. Let me know what discord server/channel you're using and I'll be happy to lend any advice.

I do have a few suggestions, some are rather drastic and may upset some people, but as both an old-timer and a current outside I feel I can give a different perspective.

Consider restarting everything. Everyone's accounts go back to just a starter and some basic starting stuff. If you're rebuilding Fizzy Bubbles from the ground up, this may be an unfortunate casualty of change. If you allow players to keep everything they have, then it throws your new economy out of whack and becomes intimidating to new players who now have to catch up to someone who has grandfathered in their old decade spanning account. Pull a Destiny 2 and have Giratina pull everyone's stuff to the Dark Dimension and Dialga time warp everyone into young newbies.

Also, consider possibly using the old 2003/4 Fizzy Bubbles as a basis for your rebuild. I personally consider it the best era of FB when everything was considerably simpler, but I'm sure everyone has their own nostalgia era. It had no economy or trading, it was simply zones and a few shops that helped provide a bit of support. I understand Pokemon and FB have changed, but breaking down FB to it's basics helps you understand whats needed and what's superfluous.

And good luck to Enchantress and Arnold in their future endeavors. I know giving up Fizzy Bubbles, at least the UPN branch wasn't an easy decision. UPN has a lot of history with FB and I like to think back on all the good memories we all had.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #70
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Pumpkaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Consider restarting everything. Everyone's accounts go back to just a starter and some basic starting stuff. If you're rebuilding Fizzy Bubbles from the ground up, this may be an unfortunate casualty of change. If you allow players to keep everything they have, then it throws your new economy out of whack and becomes intimidating to new players who now have to catch up to someone who has grandfathered in their old decade spanning account. Pull a Destiny 2 and have Giratina pull everyone's stuff to the Dark Dimension and Dialga time warp everyone into young newbies.
I think this becomes more feasible if it's possible for veterans to move their profiles to Serebii or BMG and then start new profiles here. I know there are going to be people who want to keep their profiles on UPN, with all of their hard-earned Pokemon, and I certainly respect that.

I don't necessarily agree to this in order to remove the divide between old and new players. I think that's going to exist regardless of the systems we have in place, and in some ways SHOULD exist, as the people who devote time and energy should be rewarded with stronger Pokemon and whatnot. But I would be willing to agree to put my profile on archive here (I would rather not move to Serebii or BMG, but would like to keep the thing in some capacity since it is sentimental).

I could live with no economy, though that presents its own set of questions - and though my gut reaction was to keep trading, it has been a significant source of drama over the years. There is a part of me that can see us being better off without that option, but by the same token, I do think it builds relationships as well.

Also, I agree with Schala that the issue was less about enforcing a democracy and more about the members feeling that there was a lack of communication between them and the mods, and that people weren't really being heard. And as someone who has seen the herd mentality and member popularity (or lack thereof) influence past events where voting was required, majority vote can be a dangerous precedent.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:00 AM   #71
BLEU
Cascade Badge

So, here's a thing. I had it in my mind for a long time, and I used to complain about it during my days in FB. Again, no disrespect to anyone, I understand people have lives outside FB and that is fine.

My main concern, and a reason for leaving FB was the slow pace of updating. Now, it's understandable with everyone being busy with their lives and all is cool, but having to wait for a month after joining FB for any form of activity kinda bugged me. I would have loved to see some update every two weeks at least, maybe three, IDK, but not getting updated at all would really question people the purpose of joining. And, other than the regular Monday chores and free RP in the bar and the Park.

Another point I'd like to point is the capturing of Pokemon. I think, the first five to six updates should cover most of the possible aspects of FB adventure, like capturing a Pokemon, maybe a battle with someone, finding things. I don't really have much knowledge of how any of these work in an actual adventure, because, I left after about 2 updates in 2 zones.

Again, capturing Pokemon being important for me, because as a newbie, the only way I could get Pokemon by adopting one or trading, and that does not give the excitement of owning a Pokemon as much as capturing one.

Again, these are my opinion, and I think now that I read them, they look too vague, but, eh, this is what I've felt over my short time in FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuno
You have to look within yourself and nuke the sun in your heart.

R.I.P - THE ONES WHO LOST THEIR LIVES 9/11 - Humanity Finally Dies.
BLEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:04 AM   #72
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I understand that a lot of items have been worked on and gained over the many years of Fizzy Bubbles, but IMHO, aside from Pokemon, none of them items have true significance in a player's roleplaying experience, especially when they likely got the items from shops or holiday events. While I'm sure there are a few players who got something cool from adventures in the past, but we really are looking at the future.

I also think getting rid of the mentality that Pokemon and items should be difficult to acquire. I don't see the benefit of letting the playerbase get what they want quickly. I suppose it gave some Pokemon a sense of prestige, but the slow and difficult process of getting Pokemon is what made the economics of the game so ridiculous.

I'm not against the idea of speedily allowing veterans to recapture the bulk of their Pokemon in like a special zone or something from before this reset as started anew. Maybe something along the lines of the Safari Zone from Red/Blue/Yellow. I'd probably still have them start again at a lower level so the players can make new adventures and stories with those Pokemon rather than the many fond memory of leaving it in the Daycare for 2 plus years. TMs and other such items could be reacquired through other adventures if Zone Admins aren't stingy with rewards.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #73
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I'm really not a fan of a forced global reset. From an RP standpoint, one of the problems I can see with it is, because it puts everyone on the same level as each other, there aren't any veteran PCs with high-level Pokemon to interact with, not for a while at least. And one of the reasons I was drawn into FB in the first place was because of players like Balmund, MM, and Marion Ette, all with high-level Pokemon and trainers that had (mostly) fleshed out personalities and characteristics that were fun to engage and discover for myself. Take that away, and those characters are not the same at all. At that point, I personally would feel a little obligated to "reacquaint" myself with those characters when 1) my character wouldn't have that big of a reason to do so, and 2) even if he did, it wouldn't feel the same.

Another big issue I have is that a global reset would erase all the progress and adventures my character made with his Pokemon...and everything that goes with them. Moves, evolutions, and the character development that may have been associated with specific instances of them happening, all of that would be gone, and everyone would just feel gutted. At that point, I might as well make a completely new character, which is something I'd feel bad doing after everything that I accomplished here. Obviously, not everyone feels this way, and in some cases they would much rather reset and make a new character, and that's their choice, but it isn't a choice I would like to make.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #74
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

GS pretty much hit the nail on the head here. I think the option of a reset should be afforded to members, but not made mandatory. I put a lot of time and thought into my character and my Pokémon, into their backstories, their character development... One look at my Visionary Glade thread should be enough to back me up on this. The story behind my Heatmor in particular, that has been a very big highlight of my FB career, and I hate the thought of just losing all of it, just like that. There's still so much my current team has yet to achieve that I've been looking forward to make happen. My Shadow Ledian has yet to try and take over the world. My Swirlix and male Weedle, I'm looking forward to evolving them. My Gengar has yet to become a father. And I'm looking forward to getting more opportunities to RP with my recently acquired Starmie. And I know I'm not the only one who's invested so much time and effort into FB and is proud of the team they have as a result, of the personalities and characters they all have.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #75
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think a hard reset has many merits for players and for the community alike. I think it might help, especially if you're doing away with trades and the Egg House both, if you allow players to start off with their free choice of three (3) companions rather than just one. Three's a nice round number both for character RP opportunities (for both updater and updatee alike) as well as for overcoming various obstacles in your adventures.

In the end, I imagine that the UPN branch will not be enforcing any sort of hard resets. Yet everyone seems to agree that people value things the harder they have to work for them. And yet no one happily signs up for the work-for-it mode over the free-lunch mode. Or at least, that's how it seems to me. You've been given a golden opportunity to try out the work-for-it mode, you've been saying you want the work-for-it mode for years ... and now finally the time has come and you've cast your vote against it.

Me personally, and one reason why I just don't think I'm cut out for this type of game, I want to have fun with the Pokémon I want to have fun with. I don't mind the RP environment, but I don't want to be asked let alone told, "Open your heart to ____ and have fun with it. " No, thanks, I really would rather be adventuring with ___ right now. It's one reason why I kept up with the Egg House for years, even when I wasn't RPing. Because in the event I did RP, I wanted to have at my disposal the creatures I was most invested in RPing with.

But for those of you who aren't like me ... For those of you who are the sort to fall in love with an ugly, kinda stupid puppy who happens to fall in your lap ... Again, I think a hard reset has a lot of promising potential for you.

I dunno. Consider it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development