UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

The Best of the Best

Do you think a Mac is better than a PC, or a Radeon graphics card is better than a GeForce? Well this is where you can discuss it! I am hoping to make a list of all the Good, Better, and Best accesories and Hardware that there is.

Here is an example of what I'm looking for:

Mac Computer:PRICE $2999, RATING Meh; gateway computer: PRICE: $800, RATING: awesome.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

This really isn't club material, it's just a discussion. And there isn't even a real focus aside from "A vs. B! WHICH IS BETTER?!" And the fact that you didn't give us any specs on the Mac or the Gateway, we can't even make a judgement call except through the price. Sure $800 is cheaper than $3000! That sounds awesome if they're exactly the same performance and will be used for the same function. But if the Mac is built for graphic design while the Gateway is made for gaming, then the Mac might be worth every penny.

Honestly, everything is purely based on how you plan to use it. For example, GPU (Graphics Processing Units) by AMD of Nvidia each have their own ups and downs.

AMD at lower price range offers some of the best performance per dollar you could possibly find in a video card, especially the Radeon 6850. This helps greatly with budget gamers looking to build a decent gaming machine to play newer games. In addition, AMD tends to jump on the market. Once new technology is out, they're usually the first to produce something. This can sometimes mean the next big break or it could mean unstable parts.

Nvidia on tends to be development-friendly and easier to program for. They build their parts to be stable and easier to fix (programming-wise). This leads to very high quality stuff that will likely last the user a long time.

Effectively, this makes Nvidia the tortoise and AMD the hare. AMD is build cheap and rapidly releases new technology while Nvidia can be expensive, but is stable and easy to work with. Each one is targeted at a different market and both companies do exceedingly well.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

>Nvidia is stable
>Blizzard games are known for self destructing like crazy with nvidia

Bad Loki

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
swampert28

>Raptor Jesus
Sure A Mac is PERFECT for Recording, and a Gateway computer is built ASTONISHLY well, but it is possible to upgrade a computer to be EXACTLY, or even BETTER than a Mac for less than the actual cost of a Mac
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post

Blizzard
Problem identified.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Problem identified.
As smartassy as your reply was, Blizzard is a major fucking game company. If you cant make your video cards work with their games then what the hell are you doing.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
swampert28

Quote:
As smartassy as your reply was, Blizzard is a major fucking game company. If you cant make your video cards work with their games then what the hell are you doing.
As awesome as blizzards games are, I wouldn't spend the money to get a new graphics card that works with their games. There are many games out there that aren't made by blizzard, but are still TOTALLY AWESOME.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Quote:
Nvidia is one of literally two video card makers. I think Blizzard needs to make Nvidia cards work with their games way more than the other way round.

Admittedly though I don't know whose fault it is that it doesn't work. But considering that literally everything else works with Nvidia I find it hard to believe Nvidia is the one guilty.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
swampert28

Quote:
Nvidia is one of literally two video card makers. I think Blizzard needs to make Nvidia cards work with their games way more than the other way round.

Admittedly though I don't know whose fault it is that it doesn't work. But considering that literally everything else works with Nvidia I find it hard to believe Nvidia is the one guilty.
I believe it is blizzards fault. What do you have in your computer Rangeet?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampert28 View Post
I believe it is blizzards fault. What do you have in your computer Rangeet?
Oh, I haven't actually played any Blizzard games. lol

Intel i7 2600(not K, sadly), 8 GB Ram, but my graphics card is bullshit by those standards. Nvidia 9500 GT.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
swampert28

Quote:
Oh, I haven't actually played any Blizzard games. lol

Intel i7 2600(not K, sadly), 8 GB Ram, but my graphics card is bullshit by those standards. Nvidia 9500 GT.
My Computer: Asus P5KPL-???? motherboard, Intel Pentium processor(I know shitty, eh?), graphics card???? 8 GB Ram. What do you have for a power supply?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Quote:
My Computer: Asus P5KPL-???? motherboard, Intel Pentium processor(I know shitty, eh?), graphics card???? 8 GB Ram. What do you have for a power supply?
I have absolutely no idea.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Loki

>Nvidia x Blizzard

The main issue is how AMD and Nvidia design their parts. AMD stacks more and more physical RAM on their GPUs and claim it's faster, but it doesn't guarantee increased speed if the software isn't done right. Nvidia works the other way around. Instead of stacking more physical RAM, they work software to their GPUs perform better, thus getting the same speed, if not more than most AMD models with similar specs. Unfortunately, Blizzard is not a big supporter of having Nvidia on their design teams.

If you actually look, almost every game using the Unreal Engine has Nvidia somewhere in their credits, including giant titles like Battlefield 2 & 3, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Max Payne 3, Dead Rising 2, Civilization Call of Duty: Black Ops, and lots more.

Hell, last May Nvidia released an update which boosted Skyrim's performance by 20%! That's a big difference considering the hardware is still exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampert28
Sure A Mac is PERFECT for Recording, and a Gateway computer is built ASTONISHLY well, but it is possible to upgrade a computer to be EXACTLY, or even BETTER than a Mac for less than the actual cost of a Mac
Yes, because anyone off the street can make a computer and install Windows, but comparing an off the shelf Gateway to an off the shelf Mac is extremely different. Yes, if you want to build a machine exactly how you want it, you can easily do it better than either Mac or Gateway and at a cheaper price, but comparing two specific products sold by the two isn't going to get too much of a difference. Raw performance-wise, the two are nearly identical. And honestly, the the prices aren't aht far apart either.

Note: I don't love Macs in any big way, but I don't think Windows is so vastly superior that I sit back and see someone blindly say Macs are overpriced and meh quality compared to a Windows machine. Especially without any specs to either system.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
swampert28

It is sad how Blizzard does not support Nvidia, I always wonder why they don't support it.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Loki

Most likely money.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
swampert28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Most likely money.
aaaaaaaaaaah, the thing that everyone both loves and hates.

So can we agree that a Mac is one of the best Computer for Graphics, and audio(I always see professionals using a Mac in their studio)? And I was also wondering if you guys use drawing tablets.

Last edited by swampert28; 06-10-2012 at 03:36 PM.
swampert28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
Loki

Yes, at least I know Daisy, Copy, and I use tablets.

Wacom's Cintiq series are the undeniable champion of tablets, combining a drawing tablet with a monitor, it's like electronic paper and pen. Unfortunately, we're all poor, starving artists at the moment, so we use what we can manage.

Daisy and Copygoo have Wacom (I believe Bamboo), I use a Monoprice which is considered the best low price (aka beginner) tablets. They don't have anything high end like Wacom, but at lower ends they're probably one of the better quality models.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
swampert28

I use a Wacom Bamboo Capture, it is EXTREMELY GOOD for it's price($100), and if you want something that is ACTUALLY better, your going to have to pay about $600. They don't have a screen but I never was a fan of tablets with screens anyway.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Inspired by Loki.

BORKED
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
swampert28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Inspired by Loki.

BORKED
How does this have anything to do with this thread?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
How does this have anything to do with this thread?
Are you seriously wondering?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
swampert28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Are you seriously wondering?
No, I just don't want this to become a Spam thread. Do you use a drawing tablet?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
Loki

Honestly, it is a spammy thread. There's no focus. You starts by comparing a Mac and a Gateway but show no specs to compare. Ultimately it became your opinion and ended that discussion. AMD and Nvidia has been compared a million times over on hundreds of websites and it doesn't warrant discussion because no one is exactly looking for GPUs or even have a comparison, just a brand name. We may as well compare a Random-House Book to a Bantam Book. Drawing tablets are always an object you get if you can afford it. Buy based on your price-range and preference. You didn't even have a discussion with it and just declared how your Bamboo Capture was super awesome without saying anything about it, I didn't even bother with a rebuttal because it felt pointless.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
swampert28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Honestly, it is a spammy thread. There's no focus. You starts by comparing a Mac and a Gateway but show no specs to compare. Ultimately it became your opinion and ended that discussion. AMD and Nvidia has been compared a million times over on hundreds of websites and it doesn't warrant discussion because no one is exactly looking for GPUs or even have a comparison, just a brand name. We may as well compare a Random-House Book to a Bantam Book. Drawing tablets are always an object you get if you can afford it. Buy based on your price-range and preference. You didn't even have a discussion with it and just declared how your Bamboo Capture was super awesome without saying anything about it, I didn't even bother with a rebuttal because it felt pointless.
ah, my bad: The Wacom Capture has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, and comes with Adobe Photoshop Elements, and Autodesk Sketchbook Express(not the whole thing, but I'm happy). The only downside is that it isn't cordless, and the cord is pretty short, I am planning on getting the "Wireless Accessory Kit" soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc