UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-02-2022, 10:33 AM   #8101
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I saw the clip from the Crunchyroll preview event on twitter as well. It only showed a poor quality recording for ~14 secs, but yeah, Chainsaw Man was very CGI. It wasn't the entire episode.

Goblin Slayer was well received and it has horrible CGI. We'll have to judge it on actual release. I was mostly under the assumption that his chainsaw head would be CGI since trailer one. If the entire show is CGI, that will obviously be problematic.

And you should know the economics of the world. It's happened in every industry at this point. Trailers for movies and TV shows with scenes that aren't even in the final film. Video game trailers using higher frame rates than the game, gameplay that doesn't exist, and voice chatter that doesn't ever happen when actual humans play the game i.e. Anthem or The Division trailers. Marketing wants hype because it builds more and more hype. And marketing is not the artists. Their job is to get everyone to watch episode 1.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:37 PM   #8102
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Video game trailers have to include a disclaimer that what is shown isn't actual game footage, though. I presume the industry was sued at some point for misleading trailers but that at least makes it a bit more permissible.

I absolutely hate people who like CGI. Slop suckers, the lot.

Once upon a time I thought I could co-exist with them despite preferring 2D, but at this point it's clear it's bias. CGI isn't necessarily cheaper to animate than hand-drawn, the issue is that the talent for hand-drawn 2D animation has been fading away as the tools and support have all gearest fresh blood into a career for 3D modeling and VFX. Since, 3D models can be used for both video games, commercials and movies, famously with Blender being used to edit YouTube videos among other tasks.

But training folks for just a world of 3D CGI means that the grounded weight and understanding of real-world physics that makes old Disney and anime so gripping has been lost. One would think Cuphead would spur a new demand for 2D animation but that hasn't happened.

Not that I care too much. My cheap isekai animes are still 2D and what matters are isekai MC's railing cute girls. Woo-hoo!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:20 AM   #8103
Loki

Since teaser 1 (and all the trailers since), Chainsaw Man has been shown with CGI elements between 2D scenes. As I said before, the leaked video only showed Denji as Chainsaw Man in CGI. We didn't see the whole episode, so we can't called it Berserk just yet.

CGI in it of itself isn't horrible. There's definitely a disconnect at times when shows used both CGI and 2D, but there are ways to blend it without too much disruption. The Berserk Golden Age trilogy had okay mixture. The bigger issues are that people who animate in CGI tend to forget the basics of animation and cinematography. Berserk 2016/17 were ugly because of insane camera movements, breaking the 180 rule, terrible perspective, horrible proportions, non-existent animation, stiff and unrealistic motion.

When I complained about Goblin Slayer, it was a whole slew of issues including the list above, plus the lack of understanding of things like color temperature, awful pacing, and sections of the story become dull as fuck because of narrative changes, literally changing the characters and cutting whole conversations that completely ruins a scene. The CGI character was jarring and disruptive, but it wasn't what made the anime horrible, it was the whole package.

And to be honest, there's plenty of 2D anime that's just as horrible if not worse at times than CGI anime. Do we need to remember the original Negima anime? Or if we go further back, Twinkle Nora Rock Me. Or one of your cheap 2D isekai anime like Master of Ragnarok.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:42 AM   #8104
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

On one tangent, Goblin Slayer's anime was insanely popular and successful, despite being a tone-deaf butchery of the material. But it does expose something of a dead weight loss between the "mainstream-ization of manga" and anime popularity, and it's something I see from time to time in isekai as well.

And that DWL problem is that the manga can be a superior interpretation of the source material while being the least popular and recognized. Goblin Slayer's manga cleanly adapts the character designs of the novel, but it also paraphrases the presentation of events in manga form, and the author has the sense to cut out some detracting material like the overt references to the GS world being a table-top game. This stuff isn't cut out in the other GS manga (done by different artists) so the story is a whole lot weaker.

Kumo and Tsuki also have this issue. Kumo's manga cut out the repulsive human sideplot, which made the OG author lost his mind because he's egotistical and prefers the generic isekai human plot to the unique spin of Japanese anime girl gets reincarnated as a horrible monster. Tsuki's manga rips out a lot of the main character's passive sociopathy, because the original author wasn't aware enough to realize his character was doing murderous/sociopathic things.

But the Kumo manga remains...niche, despite being the initial spark of popularity for the series. Tsuki's manga only surpassed the novel because the author was a dead beat about releasing new volumes, causing the anime to adapt the manga instead. And in GS place it remains the black sheep as the entire franchise makes no secret of the GS world being a game, thus lowering a lot of the mortal tension in the story.

So manga really isn't mainstream. It's still super niche and nerdy. What is mainstream is "Shounen Jump" as a brand, which is pretty cringe, not gonna lie.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #8105
Loki

Oh hey. The episode is out. And it looks fine. Just like the trailer, mixed 2D and CGI. CGI mainly for Denji's Chainsaw Man form, a car, some zombies, and some background stuff. People shat their pants for nothing!
Old 10-11-2022, 08:07 PM   #8106
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't really agree, but to each their own. I don't think I will ever admit Japanese CGI looks good.

On the Western side I thought Moana looked great, but it was still a step down from Disney stuff of the 1990's. And that is leaps and bounds above what Japan can make...like Mewtwo Strikes Back: Anal Eruption.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-14-2022, 07:25 AM   #8107
thehealthreviews2
Banned

Thank you for sharing this information with us.
thehealthreviews2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #8108
Loki

Mega Dunsparce

Looking back on 2022, here's my picks for each season:

Winter- Ended up kind of a bad season. As visually cool the setting was for Rust Eater Bisco, the show was too short and things happened too quickly that I never really got invested into the world.

Demon Slayer
also had a new season, but the first half was a double dip by redoing the film from the summer prior and by the time the Entertainment District arc started, I was clocked out. I'll probably go back eventually...

The real winner was Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department. A fantastic comedy about the troubles of work, from coordinating with different departments, budget cuts, concept changes from upper management, getting approve from your bosses with archaic and non-intuitive stamp system and all kinds of crazy fun. It also highlighted local sentai groups that help their community and giving them some love on screen. Absolutely top pick of this season.

Spring- LOL Shield Hero S2 proves it's still trash. I didn't watch season 1 and no one watched season 2.

This season had two stars: Kaguya-sama S3: Ultra Romantic and Spy x Family and I only really watched Spy x Family. It's comfy, cute, funny and a bit of action. The first half of the season really emphasized the duality of the main characters' lives.

Summer- This season had Made In Abyss S2 and Danmachi S4, but I only watched Overlord S4 and even then I was pretty ambivalent about it. I didn't like the scene where Ainz and the Prince discussed kingship, it vaguely reminded me of the similar scene in Fate/Zero, a much better anime. Fairly lackluster summer.

Fall- Spy x Family comes back for part 2, but the season was stacked! Mob Psycho S3 and Chainsaw Man really dominated everyone's attention.

Best Anime of 2022: 86, cause they had two episodes delayed to this year. LOL. No, in all seriousness, I have to give it to Chainsaw Man. Just the soundtrack itself was wonderful with every episode ED being unique to fit the story and with amazing visuals to go with. Yeah, Japan hates it for some reason. They hate Denji and Makima's voice or something, women hating Himeno, people hating the CGI/mocap. Whatever. This is my review, I like it.

But 86 is absolutely fantastic.
Old 12-25-2022, 12:06 AM   #8109
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

MIA I didn't touch, since I read the manga and was severely turned off by the idea of there being CGI in it. The original season and the movie were almost completely hand-drawn, making them (incomplete) classics I could recommend to anyone.

I'd vote Golden Kamuy the best anime of the year if it wasn't delayed. I read the manga end and it's amazing, one of the definitive ends ever.

Surprised you never took an interest in Mushoku Tensei, that's this century's Steins;Gate, albeit with a lot of qualifiers around the interest.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #8110
Loki

I read the Mushoku Tensei manga a bit. I didn't care for it at all. And it was a 2021 anime. While I know I bring up 86, but it does actually have three episodes that were delayed that concluding the series in March 2022 so it technically qualifies for a mention.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:30 AM   #8111
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I read the Mushoku Tensei manga a bit. I didn't care for it at all.
How far did you get?

I don't mean to defend MT, in fact I'm a huge detractor, but it gets really good during the "Dark Continent" arc. Its biggest problem is that like many isekai, it begins largely directionless and requires a nature disaster to kickstart "a" plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
And it was a 2021 anime. While I know I bring up 86, but it does actually have three episodes that were delayed that concluding the series in March 2022 so it technically qualifies for a mention.
Shows what I know. The only shows that I even touched in 2022 were Kuroitsu and Spy x Family (both solid recs from you, btw).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-30-2023, 01:54 AM   #8112
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Drawing: The Greatest Mangaka

Pitch: Emiya Shirou becomes the Hero of Dragon Quest, but instead of tracing swords, he traces Pokemon.

Blurb:

This is an isekai. The basic premise is the main character, Akira, is a rich and successful manga-ka who is nonetheless miserable, as he has shallow relationships with women and his mother. He's diagnosed with polycythemia vera and ends up crashing his car and dying.

He's brought to some underworld and gets to choose his mother for his next reincarnation. He ends up picking a random shop girl, wanting a different life that doesn't involve the pull of talent.

But it turns out his old drawing skill got turned into a cheat similar to Unlimited Blade Works, except instead of just tracing swords, he can trace anything he imagines, including magical beasts. His ability gets him entangled with a lot of beautiful women, but he just wants a quiet life. Oh, how sad!

It's a pretty decent isekai. Above average art for an isekai and a lot of chapters. Girls are cute too. It's not great though, but it's readable and I have to stress has a lot of chapters for a monthly series. It gets about 60 pages a month which is crazy for isekai.

The artist is nuts I think.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-15-2023, 01:00 AM   #8113
Loki

Sousou no Frieren.

The demon king is dead. After ten years, Himmel the Hero's party disbands and an era of peace begins. Frieren, the party's Elven mage continues travels to finding new magic and spells. After fifty years, she returns to fulfill her promise to her friends and finds them aged and elderly. Himmel passes away after their final trip together and Frieren regrets not having learned more about her friends. To Himmel, their ten year journey was long and filled with precious memories, but to Frieren, it was but a mere ten years, a tiny fraction of her life. She decided to continue her travels, but to also make effort to learn about the humans around her.

It's not an anime about flashy battles or about amazing scenes that one might expect from a high fantasy story, but rather about life from a perspective of someone who lives for centuries and the passage of time. Appreciating things in life that might seem insignificant.

On top of that, the backgrounds are beautiful. They have a painted look and give the series a deeper sense of nostalgia.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:49 PM   #8114
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is anime/manga dead? Legit question.

I don't watch anime anymore since there's very few originals in this day and age - most of what I would be interested in anime is adapted from manga.

And manga-wise, after the "golden age" of isekai, the past 3 or so years have been mostly extensions of those pre-existing titles. No particularly interesting trends to capture the imagination or engaging series to follow.

Even Pokemon is no more, following Yu-Gi-Oh!'s demise 7 years ago.

So what more is there?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-13-2024, 03:03 PM   #8115
Loki

Manga and anime aren't the same media. While I agree that most manga will fully convey a story and that's the main entertainment, anime should be elevating a work to fit the medium and it's success varies from the staff working on it. Beyond just adding animation and music (which is the bare minimum), directors and cinematographers should be adding more to scenes, which may upset manga purist, but what works in one medium doesn't always work in another and understanding that is how we get masterpieces instead of duds.

Frieren is definitely an elevated work. They've extended battles, which are extremely short and quick, pretty much glossed over in the manga, but the anime make them more of a spectacle because animation is a better medium for such. They also add small moments to the character scenes, like a split second flashback for certain scenes to clue the audience but not explain a motivation for the scene and give a better impact on the full flashback later. You can just be a manga enjoyer and be very satisfied with it, but I am immensely impressed by the anime and have high hopes for more seasons. It's also #1 on MAL, beating the Everest of MAL- FMA:B which regularly has their fans downvote works to keep it up top, but have yet to do so for Frieren.

Last summer, we had Zom100, which is another adaption from a manga, but I think it was well done and pretty short. It's about a guy who escapes his horrible black company thanks to the zombie apocalypse and decides to make a bucket list and try to have fun with his life before the end, so it becomes a bit of a wacky adventure.

And Vinland Saga S2 is the only other anime I highly enjoyed and am willing to suggest. Again it's a manga adaptation.

The last fully unique work I watched was probably Deca-Dence from summer 2020- and I highly recommend it. The media industry (anime and films) is not very heavy risk takers and it's fairly rare to see unique works now.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:03 PM   #8116
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Uhhh did Vinland Saga S2 end once Thorfinn left the farm? Because the Baltic Sea stuff is where the quality nosedives, I just have a feeling you wouldn't praise it so highly if that segment was included.

VS ends with Thorfinn and Canute talking on the beach. IMV.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-13-2024, 07:26 PM   #8117
Loki

Even if that is the case, S2 is still good. I know many consider VS an action shonen series, but I saw the message of anti-violence and enjoy it for that. I'm sure many fans felt betrayed by that, but I find it very refreshing to have a series where fist fights aren't the answer.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:14 PM   #8118
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's the opposite. The shounen part is Baltic Sea, which is also cartoonish, and it's so bad it basically ruins the series. It's so widely hated I don't know a single person who likes it. Meanwhile farm arc is where the story peaks. Thorfinn is a successful Gohan who stepped out of Goku (Askelaad)'s shadow, and farm is his story alone.

The Canute x Thorfinn convo is the end of Thorfinn's maturity and so his character arc. It's also a sentimental, if anachronistic ending to a historically violent era, that continues onward up until Enlightenment times. Everything after is filler...even if Thorfinn never actually does get to Vinland.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-15-2024, 03:53 PM   #8119
Loki

I made multiple suggestions and you focused on the one you don't like, proving the Facebook engagement algorithm right. You asked for suggestions, I enjoyed season 2. If you're saying future seasons suck, that doesn't exist as an anime yet. You can still enjoy VS S2 even if you think future stories suck.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:14 AM   #8120
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No...I like Vinland Saga.

What I dislike is Shueisha, Jump and the type of community tht builds around IP from those brands. I am extremely prejudiced aginst Shueisha as a result of Bakuman so I tend to not read titles under their imprints.

A lot of titles you read tend to be Shueisha, so I just ignore them. If I started them I would end up ripping into them because I'm bigoted and that's not fun for anyone. I'm not interested in giving Shueisha a fair shake, Bakuman was that poisonous.

That said, shaming me got me to notice that Deca Dence was animated by NUT studio, the crazy bastards who did Youjou Senki. That's enough for me to look into them because I really wanted that studio to succeeed after YS and they didn't do much.

I'll give it a try!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime