UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #376
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Episode 118:

Spoiler: show
Can I just say Killua showing up at the end was really cool. (Whoa at his hair in the sneak peek.)

P.S. Knuckle's monologue as he was running away made me laugh.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #377
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

This was my favourite fight of the arc. I saw some Kaiji art sneak through for Ikalgo's expressions! Luckily, this was animated just as well as I could have hoped. You all better like it!

Another good episode! This sets up another scene I really liked in the manga. But it doesn't come this week!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #378
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll break a long silence in this thread just to say one thing:

(Spoilers thru Episode 122)

That Netero obviously received a new voice actor. Ginga Banjou is his name. I don't think I have seen him voice a main character before, but his repertoire is pretty expansive. The roles I've seen him in apparently include DOA's Bayman and the old perverted grandfatherly character in Maoyuu ("Old Archer" / "Butler"). One reason the voice acting change is worth noting is that, back when I first reported on Nagai Ichirou's death, Doppel opined that it would be surprising if Nagai's lines had not already been recorded. Well: clearly they were not. Nagai passed away in between the airing of Episodes 113 and 114. While it's impossible to know which episode's lines were being recorded the week he died, suffice to say that it could not have been any sooner than 114. That means that we can reliably conclude that Madhouse does not record voice actors' lines for Hunter x Hunter any sooner than eight weeks before the episodes air. (Given that 114 + 8 = 122 and 122 is where we're hearing the new Netero.) The only way this assumption fails ... is if they actually record nine to ??? weeks in advance but decided to emergency re-record all of Netero's lines with the new voice actor saying them because the old voice actor died before the fight wrapped up and they didn't want viewers to be distracted from the climax of the fight by a strange new voice. But I doubt that Madhouse would have done such a thing -- I think that Japanese culture even more than our own would have wanted to honor Nagai's memory by allowing his final lines (for a complete episode) to be broadcast on television. Thus, it seems very safe to me to assume that Madhouse does not record lines for HxH any sooner than eight weeks in advance.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #379
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Dang, that's a shame. Well, that's some valuable information about the time-tables of how anime operates. I don't think anyone would have given a clear answer about how long voices were recorded in advance.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #380
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sneak peek for Episode 124:

RIP.

Although it's unclear to me to what extent placing people into pods and insectifying them differs from the Chimera Ant queen devouring them and then their brains mix with other animal parts to become chimeric insects. Did Palm actually die, like most of the ants' precursors? Or was she mutated without dying, thus retaining her memories and sense of identity? (Don't answer.) The sneak peek makes it seem like she's an insect attacking Killua rather than a woman on a mission to take down the King.

Either way, I'm assuming that if the Hunter Assiciation agrees to allow her to live they will require that she be spayed. For the best, I guess, since she's a bug now ... but so much for her lovey-dovey dreams and goals. I guess she can still pair off with Mr. Right, but ...

Her new look, like Asuna's new look at the end of SAO, is a marked step down from the apex of beauty of her old look. Though she's clearly prettier than the default of her old look, so I guess it's a compromise.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #381
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did the anime go into what happened when she infiltrated the palace? I think that answers most (all?) of your questions.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #382
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Did the anime go into what happened when she infiltrated the palace? I think that answers most (all?) of your questions.
No. Episode 123 ends with:

Welfin answering Ikalgo's question about Palm's location. Without even Ikalgo uncovering the truth, the camera then moves away from their location (basement) and tunnels through the castle towards Palm's chrysalis. The episode ends with her emergence from her cocoon. She stands up, viewers are watching with bated breath looking for clues as to whether she's still Palm or not, and then camera ever so slightly reveals some physical changes which would suggest she's become one of them. Fish scales on the forearms, a crystalline orb protruding from her forehead, and blue eyes instead of her original purple.

End credits roll.

Sneak peek starts up and shows a psycho female ant attacking Killua. While the physical resemblance to Palm seems pretty marginal, there are signs that this woman must be her given what we just saw pre-ending credits. (Fish scales on arms, crystalline orb protruding from forehead ...)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #383
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wow, the anime made her cuter than the manga version. I'm impressed! Her manga appearance was much closer to how she looked following her initial The Ring style debut!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #384
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As seen on Tumblr. (Spoilers through Episode 127. All comments the original uploaders', not mine.)

OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

#OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUU

[snot intensifies]

This girl...

I thought this Chimera Ant Arc could not get any more horrifying. D:

Netero fuck da world

Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #385
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh God. Just saw this and can't not share it. As before, spoilers through Episode 127. This one shows you a direct comparison between Madhouse's animation and Togashi's drawings.

That second one, man.

Man.

Madhouse does a better job with HxH than most studios do with Shounen Jump properties. And from the look of things, HxH continues to be one of the fugliest drawn of the main Shounen Jump series. It's such an odd marriage of quality animation with poor drawings, the biggest gulf of any SJ manga-to-television adaptation I can think of.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #386
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Notice Komugi has gotten cuter. Now that I think about it, maybe Pitou did something to cause that, because it was really clear that initial Komugi = ugly, but how she is at this point in the manga she's a lot more attractive. I mean, you can actually tell right now that she's an adolescent - initially, she looked like some sobby kid.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #387
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This made me laugh.

Watch HxH, they said

It´s such a happy anime, they said

Hahahaha. I was just remarking to myself today, yet again, how the OP credits so poorly fit the current atmosphere of the show. You have this happy-go-lucky "EXPLORATION! " theme song ... set to this. ^^;
Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #388
Connor
Flashbacker

I'll admit, one of the major things that I've enjoyed about watching this despite having read through the manga is just how nicely animated it is. Genuinely made watching all of this incredibly worthwhile despite knowing what was around the corner.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #389
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

One week folks.

ONE WEEK UNTIL G-DAY!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #390
Connor
Flashbacker

Best fight of the arc in my eyes. Beautifully animated too.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #391
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Hi guys!

I'm no fan of Hunter x Hunter (well, more that haven't watched it at all since I don't have time to watch any anime ;-; ) but I just found this this morning and thought you guys might like it:

IMPORTANT EDIT: After some reading through the comments of this, it is indeed a BIG spoiler for those who are watching the anime (and likely not those who read the manga) so if you're one of those, DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK in the spoiler box!

(Note that I have no idea about what is considered as spoilers, so I dunno if this figurine will be considered as that.) See edit above. Sorry if I spoiled anybody by mistake, I really didn't know it was since I don't watch/read this ;-;

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr

Last edited by OkikuMew; 05-28-2014 at 09:47 AM.
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #392
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
Hi guys!

I'm no fan of Hunter x Hunter (well, more that haven't watched it at all since I don't have time to watch any anime ;-; ) but I just found this this morning and thought you guys might like it:

IMPORTANT EDIT: After some reading through the comments of this, it is indeed a BIG spoiler for those who are watching the anime (and likely not those who read the manga) so if you're one of those, DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK in the spoiler box!

(Note that I have no idea about what is considered as spoilers, so I dunno if this figurine will be considered as that.) See edit above. Sorry if I spoiled anybody by mistake, I really didn't know it was since I don't watch/read this ;-;
Just to clarify (for Talon), this is actually not a spoiler as of the latest episode. ;P Really cool, thanks for the find!

Anyway, episode 131. Yeah. The animation was beautiful and the fight dramatic/intense, but even though I knew about the spoiler beforehand, I was still left with a feeling of "WTF did I just watch?" ^^; XD
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #393
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I find it hilarious that Talon stopped posting here because he's been overly sensitive about my spoilers, then OkikuMew who "isn't a Hunter x Hunter fan" and has never posted here drops the only series-ruining spoiler the day before the episode comes out. Something I had enough savvy to only ever hint at, let alone go "HEY CLICK THIS IT'S TOTALLY NOT A SPOILER".

So random.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #394
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I find it hilarious that Talon stopped posting here because he's been overly sensitive about my spoilers, then OkikuMew who "isn't a Hunter x Hunter fan" and has never posted here drops the only series-ruining spoiler the day before the episode comes out. Something I had enough savvy to only ever hint at, let alone go "HEY CLICK THIS IT'S TOTALLY NOT A SPOILER".

So random.
1. You remain the reason I don't get to discuss what has been an enjoyable climax to this story arc. Every time I want to post here, I have to remind myself that that would only reward your bad behavior. I have to suffer to get it through your head that it's not cool to spoil people with manga spoilers outside of properly-labeled spoiler boxes time and time and time again.

2. The episode was released to the West 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT on Tuesday. She didn't post until Wednesday morning.

3. I saw the episode Tuesday night.

4. While conducting an unrelated Twitter search Wednesday morning, prior to Okiku's post, I saw Japanese Twitter users tweeting about the figurine.

Long story short, a) she did fuck up but not in the way you allege and b) no collateral damage at least on my end.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #395
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
1. You remain the reason I don't get to discuss what has been an enjoyable climax to this story arc. Every time I want to post here, I have to remind myself that that would only reward your bad behavior. I have to suffer to get it through your head that it's not cool to spoil people with manga spoilers outside of properly-labeled spoiler boxes time and time and time again.
You are also the reason I'm back to posting here, since IIRC you threatened to stop writing up HxH posts because nobody was talking about it. I read your reviews but since I'd already caught up two years prior and kept it secret, there wasn't really a lot I could do without pulling a VGM, which is dumb and dishonest. So at best I could be cryptic or drop non-sequiturs. So I let the cat out of the bag last year and here we are.

Given what you've said here, I think most people would be happy if you wrote and I simply stopped talking until the anime catches up to the manga. Because if you genuinely like writing the posts, I'll say that I do enjoy reading them, and that is a better situation than being unable to share it and me spending time watching the episodes in the hopes you'll open up. It's a return to the original, 2011-2012 status quo, but at least we have this understanding.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #396
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I hate to do that to you as its my problem technically, not yours, and I'm just dealing with as I know best and fairest to do.

Truth be told, you have a solid understanding of how not to spoil major things. You don't give away things like (citing famous examples from the Bible) "Moses successfully leads the Hebrews out of Egypt," "Samson dies," or "Noah survives the Flood." But you frequently spoil little things. And individually they are small but added up it adds up to many annoyances that make me negative towards the whole HxH watching experience. You'll say something like, "When Chrollo shows back up again, he ..." and that tells me he shows back up again. A small spoiler, yes. The most logically sound outcome, in fact. But still giving shit away. Still robbing me of the pleasant anxious wonder of whether we'll get to see him again or not before the anime catches up with the manga. You'll say something like, "Wait until you meet {character}'s grandfather! " and it's like, "Gee. Great. Now I know that this person -- someone I had naturally assumed to long be dead by the time of our story -- is in fact alive and well. Thanks. I could've been pleasantly surprised by Togashi/Madhouse but instead I get to be surprised by a blurb of white text on black background in a rinky dink webforum. Just as I always wanted. " You'll say something like, "I loved Bisky in the latest chapter" and it tells us that any danger she encounters between where we are and where you are is 100% guaranteed non-lethal to her. You'll say something like, "If you think Jajanken is powerful, just wait until you see Gon's next move! " and it tells us that there is indeed a next move coming rather than the Jajanken simply evolving in power with time. Little things. Little constant giveaways that pinch away the magic of discovery from the show and redistribute it to the forum. A lot of people wouldn't mind this. But I do, and I've repeatedly asked you to please try not to do it. For whatever reason, you can't. And so in a last ditch effort to get you to train yourself not to do it, I boycotted the thread for the duration of the Chimera Ant arc.

I contemplated posting about the latest episode because it really was lovely and worth discussing. But like I said above: I don't want to reward bad behavior. This is something we're going to have to suffer through together. It disappoints me to lose to the fogs of time my sharp memories of this experience, my first-time feelings. Part of the reason I write (the driving reason, really) is to discuss the show with others; but part of it is like keeping a journal, empowering myself to go back months, even years later and relive what I felt when I first experienced the moment. I'm sad that I won't get to easily do that with HxH 131. But it's my choice, not yours, and in the end most of the blame Future Me will have to lay shall rest with Present Me. I'm making that personal sacrifice in the hopes that, as a separate matter, the disappointment it also causes to you will effect change in your behavior.

I wasn't planning on saying anything until we got there, but we're so very close as it is and the choice of words in this post already hints at it, so I'll just go ahead and reveal: my intention was only ever to quit posting for the remainder of this story arc. Not for all of Hunter x Hunter ever. I will do that (quit posting here forever) if you spoil me again. But I only ever intended to cheat you out of posts for this story arc. I figured that that would prove to be sufficient. And that if that doesn't work -- if, even after having missed out on posts you say you wish you could've read, you still continue to give away future happenings -- then I really will be left with no recourse but to quit the thread permanently.

I don't win if you sit the thread out. It is only marginally better for me if I post in a thread all alone than if I don't post in it. What I gain in journal entries, I lose in hours of time each day. Hours hopelessly unrequited by my fellow members. It got to a point in the Chimera Ant story arc that I was already ready to quit the thread not just because of you but because of everyone -- no one else was posting here. It's hard to tell if you just quickly glance back through the thread because adjacent posts can easily mask the passage of time. But if you do go back to one or two pages before I dropped out of posting my regular episode thoughts posts, you will find multiple occurrences where I was the only one posting for months. One, two, three, four Talon posts in a row before a Yuki post or a Doppel post shows up. One, two, three, four more before the chain is broken again by someone else. Yuki began to quit posting in the thread because she'd eagerly discuss the episode with me on Skype fresh off of having seen it ... and then wouldn't bother posting here. (And why should she? It's a fair question. Does she have to waste days of her life re-discussing a show she's already discussed once before?) You didn't post much because you were trying to be mindful of your privileged knowledge ... and then when you did post, 50% of the time you'd bumble and say something you shouldn't have.

Pulling us back to what I had been saying though, I was ready to quit posting here, spoilers or no spoilers, because it had become a waste of my own time. Why should I write up posts that each take ~half an hour minimum to write -- as much time spent writing as watching the goddamn episode -- when that time could be spent making money or pursuing other recreational pursuits? Why should I write only to hear my own voice? I don't need to do that. It's nice to have the journal entries to fall back on. It's nice that they're there. But I don't need them. My primary motivator for writing here at all is to discuss things I like with other people who like them. If I don't have that, I have little reason to stay -- in this thread, in this forum, anywhere. So no, Doppel, I don't see the point in me resuming posting here if you're just going to sit it out yourself, unable to figure out how to write posts that don't give away future events and details (however small). Yuki's not gonna start posting here again. Connor hasn't been posting here (despite also lamenting my lack of posting). No one posts here. I was keeping this thread alive on life support for the better half of 2013 and my disappearance in early 2014 has all but killed it off. No one is posting to discuss the exciting conclusion to the longest story arc in Hunter x Hunter history. If that's not a sign that the thread is dead, then I don't know what is.

Do what you will, Doppel. :\ Just know that I'm not asking you to sit the thread out so that I can come back. I intend to resume posting, whether or not you quit posting, once the new story arc begins. I intend to quit posting if you, Yuki, Connor, whomever gives away one more thing here. (Blatantly malicious trolling excepted. Obviously I'm not going to quit if some jerk sees this post and decides it's a prime opportunity to go onto Wikipedia, look up the spoilers for where the manga is right now, and copy+paste them in vBulletin size 10 font.)
Old 05-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #397
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Truth be told, you have a solid understanding of how not to spoil major things. You don't give away things like (citing famous examples from the Bible) "Moses successfully leads the Hebrews out of Egypt," "Samson dies," or "Noah survives the Flood." But you frequently spoil little things. And individually they are small but added up it adds up to many annoyances that make me negative towards the whole HxH watching experience. You'll say something like, "When Chrollo shows back up again, he ..." and that tells me he shows back up again. A small spoiler, yes. The most logically sound outcome, in fact. But still giving shit away. Still robbing me of the pleasant anxious wonder of whether we'll get to see him again or not before the anime catches up with the manga. You'll say something like, "Wait until you meet {character}'s grandfather! " and it's like, "Gee. Great. Now I know that this person -- someone I had naturally assumed to long be dead by the time of our story -- is in fact alive and well. Thanks. I could've been pleasantly surprised by Togashi/Madhouse but instead I get to be surprised by a blurb of white text on black background in a rinky dink webforum. Just as I always wanted. " You'll say something like, "I loved Bisky in the latest chapter" and it tells us that any danger she encounters between where we are and where you are is 100% guaranteed non-lethal to her. You'll say something like, "If you think Jajanken is powerful, just wait until you see Gon's next move! " and it tells us that there is indeed a next move coming rather than the Jajanken simply evolving in power with time. Little things. Little constant giveaways that pinch away the magic of discovery from the show and redistribute it to the forum. A lot of people wouldn't mind this. But I do, and I've repeatedly asked you to please try not to do it. For whatever reason, you can't. And so in a last ditch effort to get you to train yourself not to do it, I boycotted the thread for the duration of the Chimera Ant arc.
Here's the big reason why those missteps are happening more often: I don't have en encyclopedic memory of Hunter x Hunter or even Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I read these series long ago and, while I enjoyed them, I didn't enjoy them on the level of Ever17 to remember minute details and be able to deftly wield cloverleafs to entrap the would-be explorer. What I remember are things that I tended to take notice of, and I forgot a lot of the details I found irrelevant.

Often you assume I've read something to completion since that is typically the norm for what most folks here do when they pick something up but don't drop it. This is rarely the case for me unless I launch all the bells and whistles to really promote a series, because I either lose interest, I hit a deal breaker that makes me dislike the series, or I forget about it. I unofficially drop 99% of what I start. Heck, there's still five visual novels/animes on my PC from 2010 I haven't gotten around to.

The result is a quite fractured recall of shows, so if you were asking me as a primary source to write an essay on HxH, I could help you up to the high school level with a basic topic and some development, but a college research paper would certainly receive an F if you cited Dopplepedia. It's to the point where either I forgot my opinion, the only thing I can share are plot points I remember that I have to somehow construe into an opinion or commentary. It leaks out because I don't remember how important some things were to the plot or how much you value them.

Now, I do have a strong opinion on the Chimera Ant Arc that I vividly remember: I hated it. I felt like Togashi took what started out as a horror plot of insects devouring humans and taking over into a generic socio-political commentary, but this is an end-game debate. I was certainly saving it for the end-game and we're close to enough to discuss it now, but your call for posters kind of pulled me back into action prematurely.

Quote:
the disappointment it also causes to you will effect change in your behavior.
That's probably not going to happen unless we connect on a series that everyone is very enthusiastic and/or ignorant about, which is part of the reason I went out and wrote that No Game, No Life topic - nobody's been spoiled, we're all watching it together and I'm actually rewatching the episodes, which is very rare for modern me. I don't even browse 4chan to read discussion either. I've been pretty meh on Mekaku and Brynhildr and my pace is tied to Morg's anyway.

The truth is, while HxH might not be a big series for you, it means even less to me now. I was certainly obsessed with it in 2011, enough to jump ahead in the manga, but that roaring fire is but a candle flame if that, at least until the manga starts up again (which I've resolved to not read). This is entirely mea culpa and I do regret it, but at the time there wasn't a to of certainty that the anime would get this far, and that was certainly the case for Jojo. It didn't help too that I was meh on the Chimera Ant Arc, but I was a lot more excited for the one that came after and remember it a lot more sharply. So, since I've pointed out the root of the problem to you here, I'll be better equipped to handle what comes afterward. I'm still looking forward to complaining about the CAA soon enough!

Quote:
I wasn't planning on saying anything until we got there, but we're so very close as it is and the choice of words in this post already hints at it, so I'll just go ahead and reveal: my intention was only ever to quit posting for the remainder of this story arc. Not for all of Hunter x Hunter ever. I will do that (quit posting here forever) if you spoil me again. But I only ever intended to cheat you out of posts for this story arc. I figured that that would prove to be sufficient. And that if that doesn't work -- if, even after having missed out on posts you say you wish you could've read, you still continue to give away future happenings -- then I really will be left with no recourse but to quit the thread permanently.
Good to hear. As stated above, I do think I have enough knowledge about the upcoming arc to be more careful. I found it "exciting" and still do. If you think that's a spoiler brb I'm going to go shoot myself.

Quote:
Do what you will, Doppel. :\ Just know that I'm not asking you to sit the thread out so that I can come back. I intend to resume posting, whether or not you quit posting, once the new story arc begins. I intend to quit posting if you, Yuki, Connor, whomever gives away one more thing here. (Blatantly malicious trolling excepted. Obviously I'm not going to quit if some jerk sees this post and decides it's a prime opportunity to go onto Wikipedia, look up the spoilers for where the manga is right now, and copy+paste them in vBulletin size 10 font.)
I don't think I'll talk about the Chimera Ant Arc again until you're ready to do a summary of it, then I can start launching my salvos. With the Netero fight and what happened in 131 we've seen some of the biggest twists in the series, so while I won't give specifics of what is to come in the remainder of the arc, to me these were the two climaxes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #398
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I don't think I'll talk about the Chimera Ant Arc again until you're ready to do a summary of it, then I can start launching my salvos. With the Netero fight and what happened in 131 we've seen some of the biggest twists in the series, so while I won't give specifics of what is to come in the remainder of the arc, to me these were the two climaxes.
I'm not planning on offering a summary of the Chimera Ant arc here. Ever. I mean, I may do it unwittingly some day -- I may in some future post discuss my thoughts on some of the things that happened in between when I quit posting here and when I'll start back up -- but I have zero intention of writing about the arc once it wraps up. Nay, I have every intention of deliberately not doing so. Like I said, Doppel: I don't want to reward bad behavior. It's one thing for you to patiently wait for the arc to wrap up and then get all of your treats. It's quite another to starve you of them permanently. The latter is my intention. If that won't burn into your brain that spoiling people has consequences, nothing will. It sucks. It sucks to have to deprive Connor, other people lurking this thread, and future members of the community of posts that they might have enjoyed reading and responding to. But such is my resolve to see to it that you learn how to not spoil people.

Quote:
Here's the big reason why those missteps are happening more often: I don't have en encyclopedic memory of Hunter x Hunter.
I don't understand how this is relevant. Either you have the capacity for what I am about to describe or you do not. If you have it, you can discuss stories with people who have not yet caught up to you. If you do not, then you cannot.

The capacity to understand one piece of information in relation to the world. To understand the many additional pieces of information that one piece of information produces when added to someone's database, like the ripples produced in a pond by a single pebble. Only a few of the most basic examples:
  • if you tell someone that Jeremy goes fishing in Chapter 73, then you have given away, amongst many other things, that Jeremy is alive then
  • if you tell someone that Chapter 123 is a good place for the book to wrap up forever, then you have given away that all of the major unresolved questions will be answered by that chapter
  • if you tell someone that Chapter 82 is the most violent in the book and they are already on Chapter 93, then you have given away that all subsequent chapters will never again see acts as bloody as the bloodiest acts they can recall
  • if you tell someone that a character known to want to quit smoking selects a new favorite brand of tobacco in Chapter 91, then you have given away that the character fails to kick the habit by that point in the story
Sometimes you say something you don't mean to say (like that second bullet) and then you make matters worse by bringing this to your audience's attention. "Two wrongs do not make a right," and two spoilers do not cancel one another out. ^_^; If you mistakenly tell someone that {X} is a perfect place to put the story down forever and then they draw an incorrect conclusion from this, don't correct them in defense of your original sin! Let them remain misled so that they can be genuinely surprised by the truth when they get there.

Note that you mustn't deliberately deceive either. You've done this in the past too and it is a capital offense in fiction discussion. Don't ever, ever lie to people to try and throw them off the scent just because you don't like how close they've gotten to the truth and you want them to spend a little more time in the dark. Classic example: when you outright lied to me about a conclusion I drew regarding Lisa Lisa in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Battle Tendency discussion. And then I called you out on your lie because of information the anime had given me that you had not been privy to at that same point in time as a manga reader. It was a bad time for both of us then, but I'd have been FURIOUS with you had I not caught the lie until much later! It was lucky for both of us that I caught it as quickly as I did! Don't ever, ever pull that stunt again.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #399
Connor
Flashbacker

So in other news, the manga actually started up again recently without any real warning, so we may well see a lot more of the anime.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #400
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

the director of the 99 anime is coming to Animefest, Aug 15-18 down here in Dallas.

he also directed Kenshin and Gundam Unicorn^^

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime