UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team

Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Gen 6 OU (Showdown)

Since the forum is here anyway and I don't have an account on the Smogon forums I figured I might as well try and get some help here ^^
This team as it is now can be used in both OU and Pokébank OU, though if you want to suggest changes to make it illegal in current OU than that's fine, Pokébank will come around soon enough anyway so I don't really care about it. I'm playing Pokébank with this team already anyway.

The Pokémon

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Play Rough

Standard CB set and dragon counter, comes in on the predicted Dragon move and hits back with a powerful Play Rough. Works pretty well overall as a wallbreaker too, even Pokémon that resist any of it's moves are hurt pretty bad.

Malamar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut
- Topsy-turvy
- Superpower

My usual counter to Aegislash. Thanks to it's ability it can set up on the King's Shield and it can take a +2 Shadow Sneak to retaliate with Night Slash. And it also benefits from Sticky Web. Topsy-turvy to cripple set-up sweepers. Super Power to set-up and Psycho Cut for further coverage and STAB. Focus Sash is for surprise Bug moves/U-turn and because I don't really know a better item.

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

My usual lead, unless Team Preview suggests I'd be better of with another mon. It sets up hazards and depending on the opposing team I either use it to spin or to have it blow up in their face on a physically frailer Pokémon once Sturdy has been used, courtesy of the Custap Berry.

->

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Revenge killer, spin blocker and my Mega for the extra speed and power after the ME turn. The moves are purely for coverage. Not all that much to say about it really.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

The Gen 5 Ubers set basically. Why? Because setting up isn't always possible so the LO boost is appreciated, also because I run Dragon Claw instead of Outrage so I won't be locked into it in case of Fairies. Stone Edge because of Talonflame who can be a total bitch.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Talonflame is just awesome. It's fast already on his own and priority Brave Bird / Roost make him that much better. I'm using LO Brave Bird over Flying Gem Acrobatics (if looking at Pokébank) because, even though I know this is a suicide set, the Brave Bird has more power after the first Acrobatics. With Roost I can just heal up after an attack or 2 anyway. And if this thing gets a SD up, it's almost guaranteed to kill a mon or 2-3 on the opposing side.

Strategy

I use this team quite offensively. My first priority is to get up my hazards as soon as possible while taking out the opponents hazard setters and/or Rapid Spinners. After that I rely on offensive pressure to prevent my opponents from setting up and hitting back hard in return, I only attempt to set up on a predicted switch or Protect/King's Shield. I have some fast Pokémon that hit hard and/or with priority so I can often savely sacrifise a Pokémon such as Forretress or Malamar after they have done their job so I can switch in safely, revenge kill or set up.

So far this strategy is working okay, I win more games than I loose with this team, about 60%-70% of the time opposed to the 50-50 win/loose with my other teams, so it's my most effective team so far XD

The Problems

I know this team is far from perfect, and I am far from perfect too as about half of my loses really is my own fault for making bad choices. Some of the problems this team has is that it has no real walls and needs to hit everything hard because of that, but some bulky Water-types give me trouble. Pokémon to think of are Physically Defensive Rotom-W and Vaporeon. I haven't seen a single Gastrodon yet, but I figure that one might trouble me too. Another problem is that I am quite heavy on the physical side and only have one special attacker, one that's quite frail too. But I'm sure there are more things in Pokébank OU that may trouble me that I just have been lucky to avoid so far (or just can't remember XD).

Things I considered myself so far

There are a few changes I've been thinking about with this current team. A few in the department of changing moves on current mon, and a few in the department of swapping out a complete Pokémon.

Changes in move sets:

Spoiler: show

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall / Super Power

Even more power if it gets the Belly Drum off. Tested it, it does work, but I'm not sure about the 50% health loss and recovery.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

No set-up anymore, but get the ability to cripple attackers in return.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Bye bye Focus Miss, hello ability to hit some bulky waters hard.

Changes in Pokémon:

I haven't really thought out any specific sets yet for this, so help is appreciated here too, but I've been thinking to drop Azumarill for Mega Gardevoir as a special attacker with T-bolt and Moon Blast (Hyper Voice for Pokébank?), possibly with Energy Ball too. And at the same time I would change my current Gengar into a Scarf set.

Other mons I considered are Specs Starmie over Azumarill and Mega Venusaur over Malamar (with Gengar becoming scarf).

All in all, any help with this team is pretty much appreciated. If possible, make clear if suggestions are able to be used OU, Pokébank OU or both. And the only other thing I will ask: Please don't suggest legendaries. I know they're good, but I don't really like using them. Or there must be no other option :P

Last edited by Escalion; 11-10-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Escalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
phoopes
Double Dragon

I've been playing with the Belly Drum/Aqua Jet Azumarill set myself, I've found it to be quite useful. Haven't played CB yet though so can't really give input on that.

MegaGengar I've been going with Perish Song/Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Destiny Bond. Your two STAB moves can hit a bunch of things hard. Stuff you can't hit well... Perish Song and Destiny Bond have landed me a bunch of cheap KOs.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Really, really nice team. But one thing I've noticed is that you have a major weakness to sun teams, who can easily KO 5 out of the 6 members of your team while Talonflame is handled by Heatran. A Heatran of your own is not a bad idea, and a great replacement for Forretress, since your team is offensive enough to keep hazards off the field.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast / Flamethrower
-Flash Cannon / Earth Power
-Hidden Power [Ice]
Old 11-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Really, really nice team. But one thing I've noticed is that you have a major weakness to sun teams, who can easily KO 5 out of the 6 members of your team while Talonflame is handled by Heatran. A Heatran of your own is not a bad idea, and a great replacement for Forretress, since your team is offensive enough to keep hazards off the field.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast / Flamethrower
-Flash Cannon / Earth Power
-Hidden Power [Ice]

Thanks for the suggestion! ^_^

I'm not a big fan of using legendaries, as I've stated in the OP, but I gave it a try and it's working pretty well. Thought I'd miss a Rapid Spinner at first, and at times I still do miss one because if the opponent gets SR up Talonflame gets in trouble. And Malamar's sash is useless.

But with the opposition I've had so far, I'm still winning WAY more than I loose with Heatran over Forretress. In fact I'm winning more now than before XD
And yes, Sun-teams do give me a bit less trouble. I've beaten the 2 Sun-teams I faced with relative ease (both 2-0, one because of a suicide Brave Bird from Talonflame as game finisher).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON > Rate My Team