Tulsi Gabbard 2020
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:24 AM   #2852
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Tulsi Gabbard 2020
My boy Bernie better be still in top health to win it in 2020.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:26 AM   #2853
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
Trump was surprisingly gracious in his acceptance speech with very little of his ego leaking through, thanking Hillary for her service and hard fought campaign, and asking for advice from everyone who did not support him throughout his campaign so that he can be a proper President for all of the United States, not just those that got him there. I'm honestly a bit taken aback by the entirety of said speech, and hope that we are pleasantly surprised and he follows through with what he said up on the podium. And if not, well, the country has been through worse and we'll tough it out for four years.
That's a little overshadowed by Trump supporters in the crowd yelling "KILL OBAMA".

My friends and I in Finland are absolutely terrified and melting down in anxiety attacks. How is "DON'T MAKE A RACIST, SEXIST, ANTI FREE SPEECH, INCOMPETENT EMBODIMENT OF CAPITALIST ENTITLEMENT BECOME PRESIDENT" too much to ask?!

Elizabeth Warren is our only hope in all this. And it's such a tiny hope that the GOP will probably snuff it out on Day 1.

Congrats, you've given the nuclear codes to a fascist and Putin's puppet.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:29 AM   #2854
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Coolz8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
My boy Bernie better be still in top health to win it in 2020.
We had a candidate like that. she died of cancer a few months after.

Spoiler: show

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Coolz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:03 AM   #2855
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I saw some "The Dilbert guy was right" comments, and here's his most recent post about Trump.

Fairly insightful, I think? If accurate, I don't think the world is ending anytime soon. Not that I figured it would, we're in a fun world-line now.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:19 AM   #2856
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
The world won't end no. Thankfully (national) politics are a lot like an huge ship. You can pull on the brake, but before things come to a hold you're a lot further. And for people outside of the USA to fall into anxiety attacks is imho a bit much, outside of foreign affairs and trade we have nothing to do with US internal affairs. Though it'll be interesting to see who will be put in charge of the international relations.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #2857
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Oh, US is not in a good position. Republicans have the Senate, the House, the Presidency, and soon no doubt the Supreme Court. Very possibly, you'll even get Mike Pence as President. He's probably scarier than Trump.

Good luck, and my condolences. Please vote in your local primaries and your local midterms...it's the only way to try to staunch the bleeding.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:57 AM   #2858
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
The rest of the world is in turmoil due to several factors but one which is the most significant is the fact that global and national stock exchanges have fallen to a scary low (Some -2%, others -3%). Yes, they will bounce back and that's okay but people will still fear for everything having price spikes and I will say it here now: I predict a GFC may happen under Trump's presidency. He's a money-hungry man who has no prior political experience. The chance that he'll cause a GFC is there, it's real but for now that is just a thought of what may happen.

Also, for Australia, the idea of Trump and Turnbull in unity is a truly terrifying thought due to how far-right both men are.

(Do note, all I know of Trump is through social media and this thread so my knowledge on the man is not the greatest.)

Last edited by Chiko; 11-09-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #2859
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I never thought I'd say this but Paul Ryan you are my only hope for sanity in this hellscape of a government.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #2860
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

1 hour and 24 minutes until Wall Street D-Day.

My body is clean shaven.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #2861
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
In case this wasn't obvious you guys really better vote in your mid-term elections for 2018. This is not the time to pretend you can go back to complete apathy.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #2862
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
I'm not really active on UPN anyway, but if Marine Le Pen wins the French Elections next year and initiates a "Frexit", I will lose all hope in humanity. After Brexit and this US Election cycle, I think we've all had enough bigotry for at least a decade. Seeing Trump's win feels like a gut-punch, because it signifies that bigotry is no longer taboo and is instead an inured form of polemic fear-mongering which works. Goddammit, 2016.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #2863
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I visited /pol/, and it was swarming with hymns of praise for a god named "Kek". This is apparently the religion of chaos, which embodies what /pol/ is. I'm a stranger to this board even though I was a frequenter of its predecessor, /n/ - News.

This is kekism and it helps describe why exactly Pepe the Frog became associated with both Trump AND alt-right. What we discussed earlier about alt-right, as it turns out, was largely the work of /pol/.

This ancient Egyptian deity, it seems, is internet savvy and managed to touch base with a completely novel legion of followers.

Who would have thought? Well, we just elected an internet meme president. I'm not going to spend too much time sweating the small stuff.

43 minutes until meltdown.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #2864
phoopes
Double Dragon

Dopple, good for you because you're making money or something. But lots of people now feel like second-class citizens, and IMO no amount of money is worth that.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #2865
Emi

Personally I have more respect for Dopple than half the country. Good on him. He at least didn't buy into the bullshit.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #2866
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
The world won't end no. Thankfully (national) politics are a lot like an huge ship. You can pull on the brake, but before things come to a hold you're a lot further. And for people outside of the USA to fall into anxiety attacks is imho a bit much, outside of foreign affairs and trade we have nothing to do with US internal affairs. Though it'll be interesting to see who will be put in charge of the international relations.
I mean from a foreigners perspective all we have to worry about are his threats to withdraw from NATO and the Paris Climate Accord, and how the newest leader of the largest military power on the planet will respond to foreign criticism given his apparent inability to let anything slide and penchant for suing the pants off anyone who dares criticise him when he was merely a businessman. Minor stuff.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #2867
Emi

Gingrich as Secretary of State would also be massively unfun.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #2868
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Dopple, good for you because you're making money or something. But lots of people now feel like second-class citizens, and IMO no amount of money is worth that.
To be honest, it's nothing more than a consolation prize. Since I aim to join the Marines, Trump as President brings a lot more uncertainty about my chances, since I'm old and don't quite fit their PFT requirements yet.

With HRC, notable warhawk, there was a likelihood of ramping up the military for foreign excursions, which maximised my chances of getting a commission. Hillary also would have, in my view, prolonged the stock market bubble to the point that we don't know when it will pop. Trump's election is like taking a pin to it right away, which is a good thing - we were in for a correction eventually. Let's get the incoming recession over with.

Also, even if people feel they're being treated as second-class citizens, I don't think they'll actually be treated as such. See what Dilbert guy says about the doom & gloomers - until Trump started getting more outrageous I firmly believed in his comments as little more than shallow bluster, and now that he's elected he's going to be a surprisingly even-keeled on social issues with previous administrations.

At least, delegating social issues to the states, like what Mozz wants, would be the best of both worlds. If you don't like how Georgia treats things...move to Massachusetts.

Also, before the market opens, I just wanted to point out there's one major component to Trump's campaign that I feel everyone can appreciate - he was a one-man wrecking crew on campaign spending.

HRC spent, apparently, ten times what Trump did on advertising. She had a formal funding machine and tons of donor support and was defeated by a guy using social media.

That speaks very strongly to the power of the internet, along with Trump's wisdom that he didn't have to spend a lot to unseat her, so I feel like the total wasted dollars for this election was surprisingly minimized.

And Trump has also vowed to keep the internet, which played possibly the biggest role in getting him elected, free. This, combined with Trump's anti-internationalist sentiment, means that my dream of him telling the TPP to fuck off is probably going to come true.

Winter for Hillary and Dems!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #2869
Emi

Honestly I couldn't give a fucking damn about the right of religion and I feel pretty strongly that religion needs to sod off for the rest of human existence. Better hope I pass well if I ever travel anywhere right?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #2870
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I mean from a foreigners perspective all we have to worry about are his threats to withdraw from NATO and the Paris Climate Accord, and how the newest leader of the largest military power on the planet will respond to foreign criticism given his apparent inability to let anything slide and penchant for suing the pants off anyone who dares criticise him when he was merely a businessman. Minor stuff.
I don't see WW3 happening anytime soon even with Trump in control of the red button. And I also don't think he's going to starts other random wars, or act completely stupid and alienate every ally the US has. With Trump being a businessman I'm also sure he knows better than to put up unnecessary trade barriers for the US as importing country.

As for withdrawing from NATO and the Paris Climate Accord, let's hope not. But I doubt it too. The USA has too much power in NATO to want to give that up and hand it over to Russia/China. And Paris has little practical meaning anyways as there's nothing to enforce it as far as I know. Simply saying by 2020 or 2025 "Sorry, we really tried but failed" is enough, and quite frankly I'm sure the USA won't be the only Western country to say that by then.

I too would have much preferred Hilary, but that didn't happen unfortunately, so we all will have to deal with Trump and hope for the best.

Also, my -whatever you believe in- what does the US system suck. It has to be one of the most undemocratic democratic systems...

Pulled this from Dutch Google, and just see Politico shows the same numbers.

Clinton
59.236.906 stemmen (votes)

Trump
59.085.795 stemmen (votes)

So Trump has already won, while being about 150.000 votes behind.
The fuck...
Old 11-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #2871
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I got one thing to say and one thing only.

You bastards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #2872
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Popular vote doesn't mean a lot here. Maybe if EV were closer or something, but Trump got this one pretty solidly.

Anyway, here's a really good article about the election. Which is surprising cause it's on Cracked.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #2873
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Early returns from the stock market don't seem to indicate a massive selloff, which usually happens after election day anyway.

This is massively disappointing for me, as I did stand to make some arbitrage had I been more vigilant last night, but it also suggests that the people with money don't believe the Trump hype either.

That said, the Clinton email thing sent stocks roaring, so...?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #2874
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Does this mean four years of Alec Baldwin on SNL?

Pretty surprised this has happened. Very disappointed in a House, Senate, Presidency, and Supreme Court controlled by conservatives. But honestly, I don't think there will be much difference. Things I expect to see changed: healthcare coverage, homosexual access to the label "married", shopkeepers' rights. Things I expect to stay put: Roe v. Wade, legalized marijuana, homosexual legal rights of marriage.

The idea of Newt Gingrich as Secretary of State is fucking scary and should not even be joked about. I would be much more comfortable with one of Trump's children doing it (because fuck concerns of nepotism, amirite?) than the Republican embarrassment of the '90s.

Will be interesting to see how, if at all, the Republican Old Boys Club reconciles with Trump. Why should he appoint the Bushes or Romney or whomever else to offices of power when they slighted him throughout the campaign?

On the one hand, agreed that Bush/Cheney was bad. On the other hand, not entirely sure that an idiot Trump vs. a brilliant Putin is going to be much better.

lolololololol at Duterte though. Guy's just got himself fucked.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #2875
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Most forecasts predicted a 12%-17% decline in the S&P 500 after a Trump election. Since there hasn't been an meaningful drop I'm going to say it's not happening.

This dumb market won't die will it. What's it gonna take to kill the confidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
lolololololol at Duterte though. Guy's just got himself fucked.
Did something happen just now? Last I checked, Duterte threw his towel in with Trump and was criticizing Obama, and was trying to distance the Philippines away from Obamerica.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate