UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
satosere
Cascade Badge

When were you first introduced to Pokémon?

When were you first introduced to Pokémon? What age were you? How did you find out about it? Did you watch the anime or did you play the games first? Which was your first game?

I started out by watching the show on Cartoon Network. I was about 4 or 5 when I started watching it because my sister would. On my 7th birthday, I got my first game for my DS: HeartGold. I played it nonstop. I became obsessed with watching reruns of Ultimate Journey and Master Quest on Boomerang at this time. Then I started watching Diamond and Pearl every morning before school. I was overly obsessed with Pearlshipping let me tell you. I used to draw my favorite Pokémon in DP. I probably would have gotten the games of this series but by the time I actually got back into loving video games, X and Y had released. My cousin had told me about them and how great they were, so I got Y September of 2014. Now I'm an Amourshipper and I watch XY mostly everyday. The newest series XYZ aired a few weeks ago and I love it. I guess the anime is really what brought me into loving Pokémon so much.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Oh, man... I was, what, 9-ish? Pokémon had become all the rage at my school. I thought nothing of it, because it would hardly have been the first time everyone jumped on the latest fad for a while. But this one, not so quick to fade. After a while, I decided I'd watch an episode of the anime to see what all the fuss was about. I think the episode I saw was Sparks Fly for Magnemite, I could be wrong, all I know is that episode is the first one I remember watching. Either way, half an hour later, I was hooked, and for my 10th birthday, I got me a Game Boy Color and copies of Red, Blue, and Yellow, and the rest was history.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Summer of 1996. I was going to Greece for a family vacation for a few months and it was going to be boring. The day we were going to leave Nintendo Power happened to arrive so I took it with us. It was just as boring as we imagined, and we went over and read/played everything we had with us. Over and over and over again. It was painfully boring. There was just a tiny blurb about a game popular in Japan named Pokemon, and it briefly described it and I was captivated. It ended with the words "it is unlikely to appeal to Americans and probably wont be released out of Japan" and I was a bit disheartened. I've been following it for a few years until the day it came out in the US and I purchased it that day.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Heather
Naga's Voice

I was 8 or 9 when I got my hands on Pearl. Saw Piplup, took it, and never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Chalis
Activating Rampage

I was 4, my brothers watched the anime so I did too, and then a little while later I played Red. Not too well, though.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Me it was in late '98/early '99, when I was 11, there was some talk between people about that thing called "Pokémon", but being an outcast with barely any friends to talk to, I didn't pay attention to it. Only time I kinda did was when I was spending time in a Zellers and they were playing the VHS of the first few episodes of the anime (mostly the Mt. Moon one) in the toys section, and since I was bored, I watched it 'till my mom grabbed me away.

I didn't thought of it more until later, when somehow I won a copy of Nintendo Power. And soon enough, I later get in the mail on the Nintendo Power issue #116 of January 1999, that had Castlevania 64 on the cover (lol) but most importantly, had the last cut-in issue of Pokémon Power. Within it, there was a walkthrough to get through the Elite Four then find and capture Mewtwo, some extra info on which Pokémon was exclusive to each version, a comic made out of frames of the Mt. Moon anime episode (hello reason I mentioned it earlier), and finally a givaway to get Mew. It just blew my little mind, and read it a thousand times, and that's how my obsession of Pokémon (and Mew) was born.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Got Diamond for my 10th or 11th birthday. First time I remember actually knowing of Pokemon.

I still hate Pikachu and Water types. Partly why I'm slowly ignoring my Red run, because the Pikachu is the lynchpin of the squad.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

I remember that a lot of family friends played a lot of Pokemon when I was younger, which was probably my first exposure to it. Emerald was still all the rage (lol did I just use that phrase) in 06, but I never got it, because I'm the first child in my family and I was still, like, 6, so Nintendo games were not yet present in my house. When I was 8, my aunt gave me my first DS (electric blue DS lite!) with Pokemon Diamond, and the rest is history.

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere View Post
When were you first introduced to Pokémon? What age were you? How did you find out about it? Did you watch the anime or did you play the games first? Which was your first game?
When: I was first introduced to Pokémon in August of 1998 via commercials on UPN, the TV channel that ran Pokémon in syndication in Indiana back before Warner Bros. purchased the rights. But I first properly dived into Pokémon a few weeks later in September when I caught my first episode, Battle Aboard the St. Anne, on television. That's usually how I answer this question, and how I think of my personal history with the franchise: started in September 1998.

How: As explained above, I found out via television commercials for the anime and later the anime proper.

Anime/Games/TCG first?: I watched the anime first. I discovered Pokémon like most other Gen 1 Americans: whatever they brought over, we discovered and in the order they brought it over. So I watched the anime first, at a time when all we had was the anime. Then I played the games second, at a time when all we had was the anime and the games. The TCG came third, when the TCG launched in America in January 1999.

First game: Pokémon Blue. I got both Red and Blue for Christmas that year (1998), but Blue was the one I wanted to play first.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

I received Pokemon Silver as a Christmas gift when I was about six or seven. I got hooked within hours.
Samayouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #11
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I was very young, so my memories are vague, mostly snapshots. But I was a Generarion I fan. I remember my older brother and I would record episodes of the anime on VHS to rewatch. But we'd pause it sometimes so we could draw the Pokemon frozen on the screen. We played Pokemon with each other. If you could draw it, you could "use" it. I distinctly remember pausing during the PokeRap and drawing Electrode.

He had Blue, and he let me play it sometimes. I got my own Pokemon game later on with Crystal, which I got for my birthday. But I didn't realise it was GBC-only, ended up swapping it with a neighbour for his Silver, which I completely wore out. That Silver was my life for years.

And on cards, my brother had, I think almost every Pokemon. I think he may even have had two Charizards. Charizard was the big card back then, supposed to be super rare and powerful.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I was first introduced to Pokemon through a VHS sent by Nintendo Power. Here someone else's recording of it. It seems it was sent in 1998. When I watched it, I was enamored by it. I can't even explain why. I guess Pokemon is crack to kids or something. Later that year, I got a Game Boy Pocket for Christmas, and bought Pokemon Blue.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 AM   #13
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
I think he may even have had two Charizards. Charizard was the big card back then, supposed to be super rare and powerful.
I remember at my school people would be so jealous if you had a Charizard card~

I think the first episode of the TV show I ever saw was the one where Ash catches Primeape. And I first played Blue not long after it came out in the UK, but I remember being really slack at saving so the batteries would run out and I would keep missing an hour or so of play.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
satosere
Cascade Badge

I forgot to include my Pokémon cards! Well they're basically my older sister's, but she gave them to me. She collected them back in the 90's and there's this binder full of them. I don't have Charizard (unfortunately) but I do have holographic Togepi. My sis says that she traded it with some little kid for a Squirtle. Well that kid did not know what he was doing lol...

And not to mention the binder has Pokémon stickers all over it and still says "Don't you dare touch this binder! Amanda's Pokémon cards ONLY!"
Old 03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
phoopes
Double Dragon

I can't remember a time when I didn't know about Pokemon. Since it was super duper crazy in America in '98-'99 I must have seen something somewhere and loved it so my parents bought me Pokemon bedsheets, toys, stickers, etc. I remember having a poster in my room with all 150 original Pokemon (no Mew, unfortunately) and I watched it on TV as much as I could. My first ever Pokemon game was Ruby, I got it on release day. I was already hooked, but that really did it for me.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
It was crazy in school in like 2005-06, I got Emerald for like my 6th or 7th birthday, then haven't turned back since.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #17
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Got Sapphire and Diamond in 2007 along with a DS Lite for Christmas. Then I started watching the anime from that point, and that's it.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:18 AM   #18
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I can't remember when it was, but I think my first version was either Blue or Gold and I don't think Gen 3 was out yet.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #19
dirkac
uhhhhh

When I was like three and the Johto Animé goits full dubs into Dutch was when I first got into Pokémon, but until I was like 7 it was more of a "oh hey this is pretty cool I guess".

It wasn't until PMD came out and I got that that I fell in love (although I had only played Ranger, Link, Dash, and Silver beforehand so)
Then DP and the accompanying Animé happened and that set me off into the path of spending eight hours on Pokémon sites every day.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #20
Goose
Cascade Badge

I was like 5 or 6 (maybe a little older, man that was so long ago) with a N64 and Stadium 1 and 2 for the first spin-off games, and either Yellow, Gold, or Silver (can't remember which) for the first main series game I played. I also remember watching a little bit of the anime, although I only really remember a couple episodes and seeing ads for Ruby and Sapphire.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #21
Link
Banned

I got it at age 9. I had a 15-2 record.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #22
satosere
Cascade Badge

Ummm.... Link? How are you posting if you are banned???
Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #23
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
The mods, presumably accidentally, did not give him a permaban. So he was able to come back and make a few posts before the mods rectified their mistake.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #24
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I'm not sure if I read about it first in Nintendo Power, or if I first saw the anime. My first episode was "Showdown at Pewter City." I remember Misty specifically saying that Rock types were weak to Water types. It made so much sense at the time. So I kept watching. If I read it first, it didn't register until I saw the anime.

First game I got was Blue, which began the long-standing tradition of buying the system because of the game.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #25
satosere
Cascade Badge

Isn't "Showdown at Pewter City" the episode where Ash and Misty meet Brock? If so I love that one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON