Spoiler: show
BORKED

Starters:
Old 02-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I said this in the other thread but this is the biggest thing to hit Pokemon since Misty punching Ash.

Not actually a case of human on Pokemon DV.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
Missingno. Master
A wild .4 appeared!

This intrigues and excites me. The gameplay alone is enough to catch my attention, but what's also fun to think about is what this could do to expand upon the Pokémon world's lore. It's set in Sinnoh's past- Sinnoh, one of the most lore-heavy regions in the Pokémon world. This could expand on so many of its myths and legends, history of the region... hell, it even gives us a little peek into Poké Ball history. Those old-timey Poké Balls look pretty much just like what that NPC in Gen 2 described, right? A hollowed-out Apricorn with a special device fitted to it? The top half of that ball looks to me like it could be a Red Apricorn, with the wooden bottom half constituting part of the special device.

Also, just imagine Voltorb/Electrode regional forms based on those balls, just emitting jets of steam to propel themselves forward.

And honestly, the fact that engaging the wild Pokémon in battle before catching them seems to be wholly optional, that's already helping me shape kind of a theory about the Let's Go games and how that style of catching came to be the norm in the Mega Evolution timeline's Gen 1, but not the non-Mega timeline's Gen 1. My take on it is, this is when Pokémon training was pretty much brand new, yeah? I'm thinking in the Mega Evolution timeline, Mega Evolution was a thing, but not much was known about it, and so it'd end up inadvertently misused, and battles against wild Pokémon would get too grisly, and so for a while, battling wild Pokémon had something of a negative stigma, and was reserved for emergencies, such as, let's say, a Snorlax that just woke up and is mistaking you for food, and that mindset would still have been in place in Gen 1's era as a result. But, in the non-Mega timeline, no such stigma came to be because Mega Evolution wasn't a thing to be inadvertently misused, so wild battles came to be seen as the objectively better way of doing things. Well, maybe not completely- after all, every Safari Zone that has a Safari Game is in the non-Mega timeline, so I'm thinking those places could've been run by people whose ancestors were more in favor of the non-battling ways, and thus founded Safari Zones as a way to keep their favored mindset alive and well. Meanwhile, in the Mega Evolution timelines, it seems that after the events of Let's Go, battling wild Pokémon appears to have shed its negative stigma. Now, granted, Gens 1 and 3 were always said to take place simultaneously, but then again, we already know the Mega Evolution timeline screwed up the order of some events, since Red and Blue had their adventures in the Mega Evolution timeline before the events of Gen 1... Gah, I know I'm overthinking this by a lot, but damn if it isn't fun as hell!
Old 03-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I can't wait to marry my Gardevoir*.

That feel when the final twist in the story is you and Gardevoir are Cynthia's great grandparents.

*I prefer Tsareena, but Tsareena's aren't native to Sinnoh.

On the subject of native species another cool thing is the Rowlet and Cyndaquil lines in Sinnoh's past. Does that mean they went locally extinct in the hundredish years before DPP?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:12 PM   #5
Missingno. Master
A wild .4 appeared!

It's made clear that the starter trio was brought over by a professor who came across them in his travels to other regions. Pretty sure they won't be considered native to Sinnoh even in this time period.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:14 AM   #6
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

I’m hoping that Chimchar, Piplup and Turtwig can be encountered in the wild.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News