UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 AM   #6351
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san
Watched episode 2. This episode started out pretty funny, with the way the new character acted, then it went down the pooper in the flashback. I really don't like the main guy's personality in the flashback.

Detroit Metal City
An anime parodying metal? This sounds like it could be either awesome or terrible. So far it's very interesting, and pretty funny. It's amusing how this BETAmax is coerced into playing metal. The animation is pretty poor, but you can't really expect any better from an insanely niche show like this. Too bad it's only 12 half episodes long.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #6352
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I don't imagine approaching her with a "HAIL NAILKAIZER!" would work out too well for you, but you never know! ^^; You would probably be better off approaching with a plushie of either the gray hand-biting cat from Azumanga Daioh or better yet Yamamaya.
I think it would be funnier to claim to be a huge fan of her work in Hikaru no Go voicing random side character who appears for 30 seconds in a few episodes.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #6353
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Detroit Metal City
FINISHED! This show was certainly a pleasant treat. This was actually a very very funny show, which left me laughing more often than not. I liked the contrast between the main guy's personality and his metal personality, which would sometimes confuse him. The metal hijinks were awesome as well. That god damn Tokyo Tower scene. If I were to have a complaint, it's the same complaint I have about all these 12 episode shows. Nothing was resolved. I would like to see where the main guy went with his crush, and I'd like to know if his parents really knew his identity. Otherwise, I enjoyed the hell out of this show. Detroit Metal City gets a 9 from me.

Haah...I have Black Bullet downloaded, but I do not want to watch it! Will No Game No Life hurry up and download?!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #6354
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Doraemon I thought had ended years ago. Like, 1980s / 1990s years ago. I thought it was just airing nothing but re-runs at this point. Hard to believe that it's still been going uninterrupted all this time.
In short:
Doraemon, the manga, ended in 1996, when creator Fujiko F. Fujio died. There's been some later spinoff manga, like the baseball-themed DoraBase, but the series proper is permanently over, everyone respecting its creators' legacy and not wanting to intrude on it.

An anime adaptation of the Doraemon manga started in 1973 and ran for half a year before ending. A second series started up in 1979, and is still running. There was a semi-official split between what is known as "series 1" and "series 2" that happened between March and April 2005, but they are not separate productions, and there was never any break between these two.

Note that since the manga ended almost 10 years ago, almost all recent episodes have just readapted old manga chapters that were adapted before long ago.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #6355
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Strange.

Also I should say: watched the Iris episode, watched the Mega Evolution special, watched every XY episode up until the most recent of your releases (the aquarium one), which I've seen the first six or seven minutes of but nothing past that. Been kinda unmotivated to write thoughts posts recently (for everything, not just for Pokémon), and then Pokémon posts have the added problem that AK2 and I discuss our thoughts by phone and so then for me to re-write my thoughts here it's like double the time investment. But so as to not keep you completely in suspense (or in case I just skip posts on these episodes altogether ^^; ):

Iris special: Didn't much care for it but I don't much care for Iris to begin with. Would have preferred a full gym episode to a half-gym episode half-capture episode.

Mega Evolution special: Enjoyed it just fine. AK2 described it as "epic," noting he does not often use that word. I wasn't quite that thrilled by it and yet I had enough positive things to say that we ended up talking for easily an hour. Highlights for me included: the writers demonstrating what the series could be like with a new set of protagonists each region; and the idea of a research aide being the star of the game/show (I really liked this and am really surprised Game Freak has yet to do this for a player-controlled protagonist's backstory). Not so hots included for me Zumi's/Siebold's face (I understand ShoPro's never been one for trying to capture Sugimori's designs but cooooome oooooon, he looks like an entirely different person most of the time! ), frenetic pacing, and lack of justification why the male protagonist would have to have his Charizard be the best mega evolution bar none. (Like, normally the mission he's set for himself is the sort of emasculating mission we see bullies and villains gun for. Kind of strange that his goal is less "I want Charizard to be the best that he can be" and more "I want Charizard to stand above all other mega evolvers," as if to say that he won't be happy so long as there are Pokémon out there that can beat Charizard. )

XY021: Cute episode. I enjoyed it quite a bit at times. Highlight for me was definitely the Citron & Eureka subplot, oh my word. The writers are holding out on us though as to whether Serena a) lives for Ash, in which case they need to push the romance a bit more, s'il vous plaît, or b) likes Ash but has her own career dreams and goals, in which case let's see them, please!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #6356
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
No Game, No Life - Episode 2

It's early, but I think we have a winner for "best show of the season". It's genuinely funny and less stereotypical than I would have imagined. Also cool as heck. The series closest to it in approach is Hataraku Maoh-sama, which coincidentally aired around the same time last year.

I think that this show, perhaps, plays a bit on the meta expectations of the audience. For example, one of the hysterical gags I got a kick out of:

Sister: "Onii, you said I was the only one for you."
Brother: "Sorry, I lied."
Brother: "First of all, you're my sister."
Brother: "Second of all, you're eleven."

So so sooooooo many anime these days - including the contemporary Mahouka - have automatically shaded any brother-sister cast into an incest ship. Even worse if the girl is jailbait/loli. Here, the main character actually cites those two features as reasons against the pairing. 7 years ago, I might not have found this as funny, but with the omnipresence of "I don't give a fudge" blood incest in anime it was pretty clever.

There were more jokes, and I liked them. I have a feeling this show will get harem-y but I hope The Otaku Formerly Known as Doutei will stay true to his hard-won one true waify. She is smoking bang material and all he needs is to just get a bit more intimate.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:49 AM   #6357
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

A few shows to update on.

Black Bullet
Episode 2 was an improvement over episode 1. The main girl's actions this episode didn't make much sense, but otherwise, nothing really bothered me. I just hope main guy doesn't end up being useless while his loli companion does everything.

No Game No Life
The first 10 minutes of episode 2 irritated the piss out of me. So much god damn needless hyperactivity. I don't get why anime feels the need to make VAs spaz out the way they do. It's not funny. It's obnoxious and annoying. Besides that, it was a nice episode.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Well look at that. Episode 3 didn't piss me off. I mean, it wasn't exactly good either. One scene was stupid, where the main guy said something to the main girl, and later that day, the residents were making fun of it in the apartment complex, and the main girl overheard it. Despite this, the main guy was still at school, and she was still at school as well! So according to this anime, the main girl can be in two locations at the same time! It's kind of a letdown that this is from the same person who made Love Lab.

Hitsugi no Chaika
I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I'm into this show. The fight scenes are pretty nice. The plot seems like it could be good too, with the main characters not being hippies. You know, battle is their only useful skill, so the main guy and his sister are all for war.

Cuticle Tantei Inaba
This is the next comedy for me to try out! I've watched 3 episodes into this, and so far, I like it. It has things for everyone! It has dudes fawning over each other. It has cute lolis. It has girls with huge melons--wait, NOPE! It has things for almost everyone! Joking aside, it's a pretty funny show. It's not hilarious or anything, but it has its funny moments, and I like the characters. I just wish the tsukkomis weren't as obnoxious.

I still don't want to watch JoJo, especially after hearing they changed Joseph's VA.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #6358
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Bit by bit, catching up on posts and episodes and such. Nourin is hopefully up next, either that or JJBA. I've seen all three episodes of Stardust Crusaders so far, but the more time passes without a post, the more I feel disinclined to work up a huge effort-post for them. Anyway, since I see the latest Pocket Monsters sub is out, I may as well say some things about last week's episode:

Pokémon XY022:

Spoiler: show
AK2 had warned me that from the previews he'd read that this episode seemed like it would be a Johto filler. Normally that sort of warning softens the blow for me; at worst, I find it to be a Johto filler but I trudge through; at best, it sets my expectations so low that when the episode ends up actually being a delight it can sometimes be a huge delight.

Sadly Episode 022 of the XY series was near that first pole. ^^; I really, really didn't enjoy it. It reminded me of some of the worst Johto filler episodes from Season 4, though not quite as bad as them. (And, for comparison, I didn't dislike it as much as I disliked BW's worst offenders, like the Cubchoo + Detective Dent episode.) A "good filler," as it were, develops either the human or the Pokémon characters. A "bad filler," by contrast, tends to be a Scooby Doo episode: formulaic, with a Character of the Week we'll never see again, a Problem of the Week that we'll soon forget all about, obligatory appearances by obliged-to-appear characters (see: Comic Relief Team Rocket), and just all around nothing really of value.

It took me three separate sittings to get through this beast. The first time, I watched seven minutes before I paused to do something else. The second time -- the next day -- I watched for all of one minute before I had to take a break from it. But with AK2's scheduled phone call pressing ever closer, I knew I had to finish the damn thing, and so I started it up for the third and final time and made my way through to the end. That's how boring this episode felt to me. I feel bad for the PM team that they have to sub the bad with the good (but that's life) and I feel bad for those of them who enjoy checking in here to read our thoughts that I don't have much positive to give them. :\

I told AK2 that the thing I disliked most about this episode was a problem seen in many, many episodes of Pokémon but taken to extreme lengths here. In the series overall, it's common for Ash to be this "traveling lucky rabbit's foot" who blesses all he meets. Whether it's a girl who's got her Purrloin stuck up a tree or a photographer who's down on his luck, Ash has this inexplicable Midas touch that allows him to meet these people, solve their problems, and resume his travels in just a matter of days. When it's the cat up the tree, I don't mind so much. But what did this episode do? This episode presents us with a man of about 60 who has heard legends of a golden Magikarp since he was just a boy. For the past few years (MINIMUM) to decades, he's been trying to fish up the golden Magikarp for an aquarium whose construction he unintentionally inspired and for which he serves as the manager. The old man has never once seen the golden Magikarp. He doesn't even know if it's real, although he does believe in it. Along comes Ash and what does he tell the man? "Well let us help! We'll help you find it!" I mean ... that's great and all, Ash, but ... how can you possibly expect to find this golden Magikarp any time soon? If this old man has been at it for years, what makes you think that you and your group of friends will find it in days or even weeks? Are you really prepared to set aside months, possibly years of your life to help this old man? If not, are you really so arrogant as to think that you can accomplish in one day what he couldn't accomplish in one year? You're not even a fisherman or a marine biologist. What makes you think that you can solve this problem for this man? But sure enough, Ash does. With the help of his friends, Ash is able to help this old man find the golden Magikarp that same day. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunbelievable.

But there were a few things I enjoyed about the episode as well, so I'll go ahead and mention those.

One thing I enjoyed was Citron's science schpiels. I've told AK2 many a time: "One of these days, the gag is going to get old to me and it's going to piss me off every time afterward when they do it. But that day is not this day. " I thought it was cute how he had the Chinchou robot and followed it up with a Lanturn robot. I thought it was great how Ash once again displays such earnest admiration of science. And I thought it was great how the animators animated Serena's response to this. THAT DOT DOT LINE OF A FACE. Pretty funny.

Another thing I liked about this episode was the part where Clauncher uses the spikes on his underbelly to saw through Team Rocket's mechanical arm. I liked this because it was a great example of the anime exploring the Pokémon universe that the games cannot. The games are limited by their Paper-Rock-Scissors nature to a variety of simple projectile and full contact attacks, and sadly most of these attacks are global. Like, all Fire Pokémon can produce a Flamethrower, all Ground types can trigger an Earthquake, etc. One thing I wish the games would do more of, and I like seeing it in the anime when the writers are inspired to do it, is to explore the creatures' unique biology and the impact that that can have on their movepool. Going beyond Level 1 where we explore the differences between how one Pokémon produces a Fire attack vs. how another does (e.g. mouth vs. hole in shell vs. hole in arm), I enjoy seeing the writers explore things like:
  • Scyther has scythes for arms. He should be very efficient at scything scythable entities. His cutting attacks should be a notch above others' cutting attacks, etc.
  • Machamp always has his trophy belt with him but it's not physically merged with his body. If a Machamp falls off a cliff, he might Batman-style remove the belt from his body and at the speed of light use it to lasso a tree branch and hang on for dear life.
  • Octillery, given its strong suction cups, has the ability to pry open bivalves like Clamperl and Shellder. While not technically an attack from the games, an anime trainer of an Octillery might order him to use his tentacles to expose the innards of such Pokémon and render them supremely vulnerable to incoming attacks from a combat partner.
So on and so forth. So in this episode, what did we get to see that was like this? Well, the writers reveal that Clauncher has four velociraptor claw-like spikes on his underbelly. I had no idea that he did -- I'd never seen it in the video games. (And yes, I'm aware that the ability to see the undersides of Pokémon is there in the Gen 6 PokéDex. I'm just saying that I personally didn't know that Clauncher had spikes on his underbelly before seeing this episode.) While Clauncher doesn't have any attacks in the video game that make overt reference to this biological feature, that didn't stop the anime writers from deciding, "Hey! We could use those! " and having Clauncher whirl himself about the mechanical arm at a high speed while digging his hooks into the arm. Thus Clauncher become a living buzzsaw, and he sawed right through the arm. Neato. I love it when the writers do stuff like this, so here's hoping we'll get to see more of it in the future -- in better episodes than this one. ^^;
Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #6359
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Update on a few things.

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san
Dropped. Sorry Hiroyuki, but I can't handle your sniveling main character. I thought it'd be somewhat amusing, because the main guy started out very open about his perversions, but it seems they want to make him embarrassed about it. Watching him go on making excuses and crying is too irritating for me to handle.

M3 - Sono Kuroki Hagane
Everyone has Mokocchi eyes! Some even have her personality. I don't completely get the plot yet, but this show has potential. Let's just hope they explain the other world well.

Cuticle Tantei Inaba
Finished! This was an amusing treat. It didn't leave me constantly laughing my ass off like Detroit Metal City, but it had plenty of funny moments, and was full of interesting characters. The obnoxious tsukkomis eventually became kind of amusing. This show also made fun of the "Team Rocket in disguise" kind of thing, where this guy who always wears a bag on his head tries to trick everyone by getting into disguise. The tsukkomi always beats the shit out of him when he tries and everyone is all "Why are you beating up that old lady?!". It was a fun show, but once again, suffers from having 12 episodes. Nothing was answered, and there was no closure. I give Cutile Tantei Inaba an 8.

Pokemon XY 22
I didn't really mind this episode that much. Though I also had my brain mostly turned off, and was just enjoying the character interactions. On that end, the episode was actually kind of enjoyable for me. Episode 22 spoilers
Serena trying to capture the Corsola (I can't be assed to remember its Japanese name) was amusing. Eureka trying to befriend the old man's Pokemon was also cute. Of course I also liked Citron's invention time. Team Rocket wasn't as obnoxious this week either.

I didn't love it or anything, but on a superficial level, it was enjoyable.

Pokemon XY 23
I want to say "Meh, nothing much happened, didn't care for it.", but it was still a heartwarming episode for me (maybe Auroros's cuteness blinded me). Not much else to say really. Outside of fun time with Auroros, typical fossile Pokemon episode.

Pokemon XY Mega Evolution Special
This was actually pretty good. It was mostly cool for the battles, and the fact that someone other than Satoshi was the main. I would like to see these two play into the main story.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #6360
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Over Easter/Passover break, I watched anime.

Sword Art Online

If it was the original 14 episodes, it would have been OKAY. The full series was god awful. The series had a lot of potential, but failed to live up to any of it. Kirito was powerful automatically. We never got a scale of how powerful he was in general because he seemingly always hid his level, he wore the same gear, he used the same weapon. And then they would showcase exactly how powerful he was when he needed to be. "PKers? Nope. I regen faster than your DPS. Super demon? I have Dual-Wield and can do a 200 hit combo. You think you're good? I'm faster!" Fuck. He has no growth as a character or as a game level, he's just powerful simply because he's the main character.

Asuna is completely awful. We see her as this awesome badass girl who could handle herself despite being new to the game. Yet, every fucking time she's pretty much the damsel in distress. She even makes sandwiches for Kirito! She never really showcased herself as a powerful female after that first boss raid. Hell, even when she saves Kirito from that murderous guild member, Kirito still ends up being the one who saves her. What the fuck? Then in the 2nd arc, she's just trapped, slug tentacle raped, then actually raped. What the fuck? Misogyny up the ass!

Fate/Zero

Overall it was very good. Rider really steals the show but in a good way. We know Gilgamesh. We know Saber. They did very well in centralizing another protagonist without them overwhelming Saber and Emiya's story. I will say that the Berserker vs. Saber fight ended up being a bit lackluster since every other instance of Berserker was rather awesome, when he finally revealed himself, the fight ended up being extremely tame. Otherwise, everything was well done.

So one good series. One terrible series.

*goes back into hibernation*
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #6361
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No Game, No Life Episode 3

Time for a topic, folks. I opted to take a break from preparing for my date with destiny tomorrow, and while this episode was just a tad disappointing in how it completely eschewed any sense of rule manipulation or (which we could appreciate better in something like Kaiji), the direction it went full-on in the opposite direction, spontaneously hurtling itself over-the-top of expectations with reckless disregard for the conventional. I mean, I got the sense the author was BSing his way through a clearly contrived situation, but he did it in such a humourful way I didn't hate him for it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #6362
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
I feel bad for the PM team that they have to sub the bad with the good (but that's life)
Haha, I actually really enjoyed that episode. It wisely chose to throw the not-all-that-interesting plot to the sidelines and mostly just give us a bunch of fishing antics. Serena learning to fish, Eureka and Dedenne trying to befriend Udeppou, Citron being... Citron, Udeppou's amazing rescue at the end, all the fun scenes with the group (mostly Eureka) at the aquarium... it just let the characters be the characters in this new setting, and the XY characters all have such strong personalities they can actually make a good episode just by doing that instead of bogging it down with too much plot.

XY23, on the other hand, suffred a bit from having too much focus on a really generic and tired problem-of-the-day we've seen a million times before, even if it played up the drama a bit more than usual
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #6363
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

No Game No Life
So this is what Doppel meant by "Stupid but awesome". This episode was awesome. The game was so dumb and over-the-top that I couldn't help but like it. Also that freaking "I refuse!" joke. It was executed so excellently. It's probably a JoJo joke, and I don't fully get it, but Tsunken did it alot in some of his TLR doujins.

I've been reading the Puchim@s manga. I'll go on about it in the Idolm@ster thread.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #6364
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wow, it's been a week huh. Time flies when you're lazy and weathering tornadoes.

No Game, No Life - Episode 4

#yoloswag
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #6365
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon: Watched XY025. It was good. I had one complaint, but that aside I found it to be an enjoyable episode.

My only complaint was that the Rock Tomb Tomb came out of nowhere. While I enjoy being surprised (especially in gym matches), paradoxically I also prefer the DPP and BW approach to showing Ash's rigorous training in the lead-up to the gym battle. It makes his wins feel that much more earned, his tactics that much less pulled out of thin air. I would have liked to have seen Froakie and the others practicing Rock Tomb Tomb in two or more of the episodes between the Battle Chateau and Ash's arrival at Cyllage City. Oh well.

The animation was nice. Not always -- Onix looked a little drab at times -- but for the most part it was clearly a smidgeon above average and occasionally it was well above average.

When the score becomes 1-3, Ash's lead, you know that Ash is going to lose no fewer than two Pokémon before the match is over. The writers rarely give Ash blowout victories. So in that sense, once the score became 1-3 you could say it was slightly anticlimactic. However, a) if you hadn't been spoiled (I had been ^^; ) that Ash would win this episode, then it would have still been exciting right on up until the finish; and b) when the score was 2-3, i.e. when it was still the first round of the match, it was rather more exciting than when the starting score is normally 2-2. When it's 2-2 or 3-3, it's almost always a tit-for-tat exchange between Ash and the gym leader. But when it's 2-3 right from the start, you have no way of knowing whether it's going to become 2-2 first or 1-3 first. So that makes that very first leg of the race an exciting one.

I enjoyed ShoPro's nods to the video game with Grant's gym design and gym leader philosophy. Much appreciated.

I devoured the Ash x Serena morsel they gave us when Eureka couldn't help but to notice just how anxious Serena was getting even though it wasn't her who was fighting but Ash. The sneak peek for next week's episode suggests we're in for even more treats on this front.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #6366
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

A few shows to go on about.

Black Bullet
Watched up 'till episode 4 and: THE CHEESE! THE CHEESE! OH GOD THE FUCKING CHEESE! This show is oozing in so much cheesy badness that you might as well call this the best comedy of the season. I spent the entirety of episode 4 laughing at just how forced and cliche it is.

M3 - Sono Kuroki Hagane
Watched episode 2. So far it's not a bad show. I do like the fucked-up group of characters. Hopefully things will improve. The show has potential.

No Game No Life
Episode 4 was another good one. You would think the main guy would dislike humanity more than he does, but oh well. I really like the crazy bullshit he keeps pulling. Then goes Rance. This is still the top show for me this season.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #6367
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
This is still the top show for me this season.
Doppel's loving it too, right? You guys should make a quick-'n'-dirty thread for it maybe. Up to you, no pressure, etc etc. Can't promise I'll tune in any time soon as I'm up to my eyeballs in stuff right now and am still an entire season behind on stuff, but yeah: if this show continues to be much enjoyed by you and Doppel, then of course I'd like to check it out and see for myself.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #6368
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I actually asked BBB about it. The consensus was "we don't want to jinx it" but it's been so fun I might go and risk doing that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #6369
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon: I decided to watch the Kanto Jynx episode that PocketMonsters recently subbed. Man is Kanto charming. It's a very simple series at times but man if it doesn't have the aroma of childhood and the good old days to it. I last watched this episode several years ago. It was fun to see Jynx in anime form again and to be reminded of just how interesting she is what with her long hair and her telekinesis. It's also great to re-hear the voice actors back when the characters were still new. Hayashibara Megumi (Jessie), Matsumoto Rica (Ash), and especially Ueda Yuuji (Brock) stand out to me.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #6370
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Fate/Zero

Overall it was very good. Rider really steals the show but in a good way. We know Gilgamesh. We know Saber. They did very well in centralizing another protagonist without them overwhelming Saber and Emiya's story. I will say that the Berserker vs. Saber fight ended up being a bit lackluster since every other instance of Berserker was rather awesome, when he finally revealed himself, the fight ended up being extremely tame. Otherwise, everything was well done.
I second this recommendation. Great series, even though all the scenes with Caster perturbed me in an unpleasant way. Then again, this is the Nasuverse. It can almost reach Evangelion levels in its mindfuckery and freakshows.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #6371
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm considering picking up Mahouka because apparently it's revealed itself as extreme Japanese jingoism clad in anime colour. Considering it was initially penned on Japan's equivalent of Fanfiction.net (hearsay) by an adolescent, this stunted world-view seems highly possible to me.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #6372
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I haven't noticed any brilliant jingoism in Mahouka. Of course, I have also missed the latest episode, so I don't know. The main guy's sister is very creepy though. You'll love her!

For updates and all that, nothing really worth mentioning. I have also been lagging on my shows (5 days behind, which is alot for me).

The latest translated chapter of Puchim@s was HNNNGtastic atleast!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #6373
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
So... I just started No Game No Life. First anime in forever.

...so amazing. Well, I was wondering, is there a way to "subscribe" to an anime so you can know when a new episode comes out?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #6374
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episodes come out on Wednesdays, so pop in Thursday and you'll be up to speed.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #6375
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

The Air VN has been translated, so I'll be hitting that shit sometime soon. There has been a patch for it, but apparently it's just a spruced up machine translation. Air is the only main story Key VN I haven't read, so with this, I'll have all of them read! Let's hope the VN is actually better than the anime. Though this competing with Kyoto from when they were good, so who knows?! I'd have to say the Kanon (2006) anime was better than the VN.

I say "main story", because I haven't read the spinoffs/fandiscs like Tomoyo After, Kud Wafter, and Rewrite Harvest Festa. Harvest Festa is the only spinoff I think will be any good, so it won't be a big deal if I miss the others. From what I've seen: Tomoyo After is Tomoyo getting drilled repeatedly. Kud Wafter is moe moments with Kud....along with her getting drilled repeatedly. Rewrite Harvest Festa seems to be your usual fandisc with some amusing mini games and has some extra bits on the main story. Also unlike the other two, Rewrite Harvest Festa is written by the main writer.

EDIT: I read one day into it. One thing to say: Misuzu doesn't have Sayuri's voice. That's a shame. I really liked her anime voice. This edition was released in 2005, so she was still alive when the voiced edition released. It's not game ruining, but it's a bit of a disappointment. Also there's a bunch of freaking choices.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 05-13-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime