UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #251
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
I'm only level 13, but I'm starting to notice it too that previously very easy Pokémon to capture (aka Weedle's of a CP <100) can now be a pain to catch sometimes. Today I've had a CP 281 Spearow run away, as well as a CP 82,a CP 96 and a CP 56 (!) Weedle... Funny thing is, the first two Weedle's that ran away had for some reason an orange ring, while inbetween I caught a CP 287 Drowzee which had a green ring and only took 1 Pokéball...

I'm getting the idea that maybe the amount of times you have captured a certain Pokémon may also be of influence as I've already caught a massive shitload of Weedle, while this Drowzee I caught today is only my 3rd ever.

Anyways, today was still a good day, I caught/hatched a total of 7 Pokémon I did not have before, including Onix, Geodude, and both the Nidoran's. And I still ended up with more Pokéballs than I started with.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #252
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Had a thing to do today, didn't get a chance for my usual walk. Did manage to catch some stuff, though, but nothing major- a Horsea, an Eevee, a Drowzee, some Pidgey and Rattata, that sort of thing. Of course, never found that Dratini that was allegedly in the area... Oh, and that blasted Drowzee! I'm out of regular Poké Balls now, just got Great Balls. And not too many of them, either. Next opportunity I got to hit up some PokéStops, I'm taking it, I have GOT to restock. Oh, yeah- also evolved a Rattata with high IVs into Raticate, it's among my strongest Pokémon at the moment, right up there with my Hypno, my Bellsprout, my Jynx, my Golbat, and my Koffing.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #253
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Just hatched a Weedle that apparently has really good IVs. I do believe I've found my future Beedrill.

EDIT:

>runs into ANOTHER wild Drowzee

>realizes I'm down to a single Great Ball, with no regular Poké Balls

>tries to tap the run button

>taps screen wrong, accidentally throws last Great Ball, and is way off target

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 07-26-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Missingno. Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #254
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

First thing I did today, hauled ass over to the local PokéStops and restocked on Poké Balls and Great Balls. I also hatched that 10km Egg- I am now the proud owner of a Hitmonlee! Finally, a super effective option against those Snorlax you always see guarding Gyms. Also managed to knock a Team Mystic Gym down a peg or two- couldn't get past the Lapras, but at least the Vaporeon and Flareon were no match for us. Caught a buttload of stuff today, managed to evolve the Weedle I hatched last night into a Kakuna, and wasted lots of Poké Balls on a low-level Hypno that insisted on giving me a hard time. I also have enough Eevee Candy to evolve an Eevee, but I'm gonna hold off until I get one with high IVs. Getting very close to level 15!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #255
deoxys
Fog Badge

So how does everyone feel about http://pokevision.com ?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #256
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

May have used it to see what Pokémon I can catch while I'm on vacation in Tenerife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #257
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I think it's neat. While I appreciate that some people might enjoy blindly traipsing about the neighborhood looking for rare treasures, I like that the site offers people a more direct approach to tracking down what they're after. I find it hard to complain with PokéVision use, let alone to accuse its users of cheating, when in the words of Go's most ardent proponents the game is all about getting outside -- and you're still doing that even when you use PokéVision. It's just that now instead of wasting 3 hours you're taking only 20 minutes. Now instead of wasting $50 of gasoline you're using only $3. Because Pokémon vanish within 15 minutes, there are still hard limits on how powerful PokéVision can be as a tool. But for those whose goal is the acquisition of a specific Pokémon, this is how I see it:
  • PokéVision use: putting up a Staryu for trade on the GTS
  • traditional, non-PokéVision use: going onto the GTS and blindly searching for all 721 Pokémon, one at a time, and then scouring through every single list of trainers to see if anyone is offering their Pokémon for a Staryu
You could do it the second way, but why should you have to? If it's the only game modality, then alright, but if someone's come up with a perfectly legal and fair alternative that cuts down on the time then you're well within your right to use it, I'd say. Only reason not to use it is if, for you, it renders Go no longer fun to play.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #258
deoxys
Fog Badge

I essentially agree. I don't think it can really be considered cheating considering the game as it is really doesn't have a victory or failure condition. While there is some level of the thrill of the hunt that it takes away from, it also fills the gap the 3-step bug has left. While it was fun before to hunt for a Pokemon by actually seeing yourself getting closer to its location - thus making the thrill and capture feel far more rewarding - without that the game is now more or less a random chance that you may or may not be getting closer to your target.

This just streamlines it and makes it far simpler. And I appreciate that quite a bit. On top of that, it's neat to see what Pokemon would 'live' in your area or at certain locations. For instance, I've discovered that my neighborhood, which is kind of marshy, has an abundance of Poliwags. I've also discovered several nests around town, including a local park with our Art Museum that is a huge Gastly spawn - and there is even a small courtyard in the city that is the only place around you can capture Jynx. Finding spawns and nests is fantastic, and seeing that certain Pokemon are abundant or exclusive to some areas is neat.

Last edited by deoxys; 07-27-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #259
Escalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I like it in general. But it's far from accurate/correct or complete where I live.

I've been standing right in front of a Ghastly and an Onix for example, which are quite rare Pokémon here and sometimes DO show up on Pokévision. But not when I was seeing them right there on my map all ready to be caught (which I did).

Usually the Pokémon shown on Pokévision do show up on said location in the game, but not all Pokémon I see on the in-game map or "radar" show up on Pokévision.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #260
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
I like it in general. But it's far from accurate/correct or complete where I live.

I've been standing right in front of a Ghastly and an Onix for example, which are quite rare Pokémon here and sometimes DO show up on Pokévision. But not when I was seeing them right there on my map all ready to be caught (which I did).

Usually the Pokémon shown on Pokévision do show up on said location in the game, but not all Pokémon I see on the in-game map or "radar" show up on Pokévision.
I've noticed this as well. All Pokemon in Pokevision are indeed where they are in-game, but not all Pokemon in-game show up in Pokevision.

I saw an Arcanine and a Charmeleon on my radar recently; I was not able to locate either of them. Pokevision only showed the Arcanine for a split second before it vanished, but still remaining on my radar for a few moments. I'm not sure why this is, but I'd imagine it's probably something like Pokemon are programmed to spawn a few different ways/conditions, while Pokevision only scans for one of those ways.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #261
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
tbh 70% of the time, it works perfectly. And tbh that's enough for me to use it.

Also, someone mentioned a Maps download to reduce data usage, where would one find this? Or is it just plain old Google Maps?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #262
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
tbh 70% of the time, it works perfectly. And tbh that's enough for me to use it.

Also, someone mentioned a Maps download to reduce data usage, where would one find this? Or is it just plain old Google Maps?
You do this via Google Maps as an option but this has also been confirmed to be false and doesn't actually decrease data or energy usage (from what I've read).

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #263
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

It's an F2P game that is going to pander to a really accessible whale market. I am really not surprised that the difficulty curve spikes.

That said, I think they're going to have to rethink they're model if they actually want to keep this from being a fad.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #264
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Nothing like encountering your very first wild Tentacool with only two Great Balls to your name to really get you to work on that curveball technique. I mean, I stocked up well enough earlier at the PokéStops, but the catching was good today!

And yes, I did catch the Tentacool. First ball got it- still got one left!

EDIT: THERE IS A KOFFING IN THE AREA! MUST FIND!!!

EDIT 2: ...Well, good news is, I was able to successfully use my last Great Ball to catch a purple sphere of poison gas. Bad news is, it was a Gastly- the Koffing's long gone. Worse news is, its IVs blow.

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 07-27-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Missingno. Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #265
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Well, my walk started out today with me finding a Gastly, and it vanishing just before I actually got to a PokéStop to restock on Poké Balls. Lovely, right? But yeah- today actually went pretty well. Hatched a few 5km Eggs- one into a Tentacool, and the other into a... Drowzee. *headdesk* Like I don't get enough of those, right? Also, evolved a Spearow, which finally added Fearow to the Pokédex (after having encountered two different ones which I failed to catch!), and also was that very push I needed to get to level 15! Took back the local Gym for Team Valor twice- once from Instinct, once from Mystic. And as I type this, Team Mystic took back the Gym again. >_< But anyway, got some more stuff, including an Eevee I was actually satisfied with- powered it up a little to get a slightly more precise read on the IVs, named it Pyro, and wound up confirming the nickname evolution trick once again by getting a Flareon. CP 1,202, might I add- my first quadruple-digit Pokémon! Kinda wish I could find more Bellsprout and Koffing, though- two Pokémon I really want in this are Weezing and Victreebel.

But yeah- Flareon's gonna be a huge help against opposing Gyms. I'm running low on Poké Balls once again, but I'm considering this a good day.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #266
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

...IVs are a thing in this?
Old 07-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #267
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
...IVs are a thing in this?
Yep. They only go up to 15, and there's only 3 stats, though, so it seems to be less of a hassle. There's already multiple IV calculators for Go out there.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #268
Escalion

IV's dont mean much though. The difference between an all 0 and all 15 IV Pokémon is around 7-10% percent. And both all 0 and all 15 is very very rare, I check the Pokémon I catch too and the lowest I've ever had is at worst 20% perfect, and best I've ever had is at its max 93% perfect. And neither Pokémon will be that, so I'd guess the average advantage in power you'll get will be at max 4-5% or so.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #269
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Yeah, I'm not even shooting for perfect IVs. I'll happily settle for anywhere over 50% perfection.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #270
deoxys
Fog Badge

In other news, here's my current team - still about 7 Gastly away from Gengar and 70 Magikarp candy from a Gyarados.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #271
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

When do you start breaking the 1000CP barrier? I'm currently about 575 at level 10 and feeling a bit left out on the whole gym thing.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #272
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

So with the Lapras I just caught, I've almost completed my goal of getting the full team from the first TPP run. AA-J, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will catch you.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #273
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

depends on the Pokemon Iron. I think with a vaporeon you can break it at 13(?)
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #274
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
When do you start breaking the 1000CP barrier? I'm currently about 575 at level 10 and feeling a bit left out on the whole gym thing.
Varies, but my first came at late level 15/early level 16.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #275
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
My advice: Don't rush it. You'll regret it. For now just save your stardust. Evolve Pokemon that are easy to obtain if you want to get some stronger ones for your level. So if you have a favorite or something you don't see that often that you want to become really strong, wait. Sit on its candies and keep leveling up and catching more.

Here is a handy site that tells you what CP your Pokemon will be if you evolve them, that way you can decide if you'd rather hold off and wait or not. http://pogotoolkit.com/

I would say to wait until Level 18 or 19 before starting to power up 'mons. I didn't do that for some early levels and I wasted a lot of stardust because of it; I've already transferred a lot of the 'mons that I've powered up early on. During my teen levels I didn't power up almost at all and it paid off (as you can see above). If it's something rare like a Snorlax though or a fossil, go ahead and power it up, you're probably not going to see another one, though it is possible.

So basically, if you want some high level stuff for now, evolve whatever is common near you - which I'm assuming is Zubat, Pidgey, Weedle, Rattata, Caterpie, Spearow, and maybe some others. Heads up though, you will outlevel them within 7-10 levels and they won't be as useful anymore.

(also I've renamed Reince to Habanero, because he was originally named after the antagonist from The Witcher books, but I forgot that was also the name of the RNC leader... and I misspelled it... whoops)

>When do you start breaking the 1000CP barrier?

I got lucky and caught a ~1200 Snorlax (which I powered up to 1281) when I was like level 11 or 12. The first Pokemon I evolved past that barrier though was.... I want to say between level 13 and 15, and I believe it was a Vaporeon.

Last edited by deoxys; 07-28-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON