UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

"The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014"

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

67 hours left until the first announcement. GTTV said we'd be getting 3 announcements from Valve this week.

Get ready for Steambox and Half Life 3.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Watch them announce everything except HL3.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Technically the universe is constantly expanding.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Technically, the universe is exponentially expanding.

*shot*
Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

"Presenting the Microsoft Steambox, marketing by Valve."

*insert Gabe Newell expanding joke here*
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

goddammit mg...
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Sorry, must have been my "being able to count to 3" privilege showing.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
deoxys
Fog Badge

GOD DAMMIT MG
Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
i put 5 million SP on Source Engine 2 + Half Life 3 being revealed
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

I think the last one will be about the family sharing thing.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

O + O is definitely Valve-brand bras.

Don't get your hopes up, kiddies (unless you have teh bewbs)
Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

FUCK YES
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not sure why that gets a "fuck yes" out of you.

Comfort: the curvature of the handles suggests I'm looking at the back of the controller yet the placement of all the buttons there clearly suggests I'm beholding the front. Front or back, either way you slice it, it seems like an ergonomics nightmare to me. If we're seeing the front (as I assume we are), then the handles look like they're going to be poking into the meat of our palms (ow) or else forcing us to rotate our hands inward, backs of hands facing one another (uhh ...) all while gripping tight to the controller lest it fall (ow! ow! ow!). Obviously you wouldn't want to do that, so it's say hello to Digging Into The Palms City. Then factor in that the buttons are placed right smack next to either mouse and it's like, um, what? Does not look like a pleasant controller.

Sensitivity: the fact that they opted to replace the analog sticks with laptop-style mousepads is neat, I guess, but ... have you ever used a laptop mouse before? ^^; Those things aren't exactly the most reliable and pleasant user interfaces in the world. While we've come a long way since the turn of the century, I think I'd still rather have an analog stick than a laptop-style mouse. 100% ready to eat my hat on this one, don't get me wrong, but I'm just voicing these early concerns.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

It seems like the perfect middle point between M+K and dual stick controllers. I think the design is really cool, and it's way more innovative than either the PS4 or Xbone controller. This is a big risk for Valve, in a gaming industry that is currently anti-risk.

I also think it's one of those things that people are just going to have to try in order to find out if they like it or don't like it. It could feel like crap. Or, considering this thing is meant to play computer and console games, and thus is supposed to be comfortable in the hands for long periods of time, it could be great.

This is new and exciting, and that is why I say "FUCK YES." This could be great.

I'm also not a person who is picked a side in the "this is the best controller!" debate, so I'm not super invested. Thus, I have a lot less baggage weighing me down than most people, who see the lack of sticks and have an immediate negative gut reaction without giving it a chance. (not saying you're doing that, but the internet is)

Way better announcement than HL3, in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Eh. That shit looks expensive. I'll stick with the Xbox 360 controller, thanks.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Put we don't even have a price for it, or any first impression reviews yet, Tdos =o
Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Put we don't even have a price for it, or any first impression reviews yet, Tdos =o
Fair point, but an extremely sensitive haptic feedback system that serves as two trackpads and speakers in addition to the touchscreen on a compact device does not sound cheap to me.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Does. Want.

If I'm not mistaken, the side parts are meant to conform to the palm of your hands? Not sure how I feel about that, but I'll reserve opinion on it until I see it in action. I love how every button is right beside the trackpads (the default hand positions), allowing for beautifully fluid control. And their unique implementation of the touch screen? I want it NOW.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The problem I foresee with the button placement is that as you stretch out your thumb to reach them with your thumbtip, the ventral shaft of your thumb will touch the touch-sensitive tracking pad and cause the system to think you wanted to input a motion command too when really you didn't. For comparison, pick up your XBox 360 controller, place your thumb on the D-Pad for use, and now stretch that thumb to hit the 360 control center button in the center of the device. Notice how your thumb touches the D-Pad the entire time as you glide it forward? That. That's the natural (lazy) tendency for going from the D-Pad to the nearby button. And I worry that Valve's controller layout is going to be plagued by this very problem.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I don't really have any experience with the 360 controller, but I think I can see where you're coming from. Though, for the steamtroller, I was under the impression that the trackpads being recessed would help deal with that issue. Would it not?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Stick your thumb out sideways:

That'd have to be one hell of a recessed tracking pad to dodge the concavity of the extended human thumb. (Note that the thumbtip has to be facing downward to be depressing the button it's touching, meaning you're not very likely to have your thumb fully extended, meaning you're going to have it be partly flexed (duh), meaning it's going to be coming into even more contact with the tracking pad.)

I'm not declaring that they haven't accounted for this. I'm just saying that from the picture they've shown us, I am not filled with a lot of confidence that this is ergonomic genius.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I guess Valve has enough money to dump into every possible silly project now.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #23
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I also think the placement of ABXY will take a lot of getting used to, but I think Valve has also taken that into account somewhat by letting you completely remap the control scheme to whatever you want instead of the developer's default. We'll have to see how it goes.

I would definitely err on the side of "Valve is known for not announcing things until they're good and ready, so this is definitely something they've taken into account." The controller will also be undergoing more beta testing before the full release next year, so if they really had to I suppose they could redo the controller or postpone it if people hate it.

I'm also worried about price, but that's just speculation. Regular controllers for other systems run around $50 nowadays, right? If Valve aims for that, they'd be fine. I'm more worried about the price of their inhouse Steambox, or their third party Steamboxes. The Piston guys (who seem to have been put to curb by Valve) are pricing their living room PC at $1000... that's way too much.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I also think the placement of ABXY will take a lot of getting used to, but I think Valve has also taken that into account somewhat by letting you completely remap the control scheme to whatever you want instead of the developer's default. We'll have to see how it goes.

I would definitely err on the side of "Valve is known for not announcing things until they're good and ready, so this is definitely something they've taken into account." The controller will also be undergoing more beta testing before the full release next year, so if they really had to I suppose they could redo the controller or postpone it if people hate it.

I'm also worried about price, but that's just speculation. Regular controllers for other systems run around $50 nowadays, right? If Valve aims for that, they'd be fine. I'm more worried about the price of their inhouse Steambox, or their third party Steamboxes. The Piston guys (who seem to have been put to curb by Valve) are pricing their living room PC at $1000... that's way too much.
I wouldn't worry too much about the ABXY, I find a lot of my friends have a bit of difficulty adapting from A PS3 comtroller to a Xbox controller, but get used to it after about a day or so, so this controller probably won't be any difference. And regarding the price, I do think this controller will be more expensive, due to Valve not selling any other controllers, but they will probably go down after a certain time frame, but I don't expect anything over $150.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>150

Literally no one would buy a controller that expensive. Valve may not be marketing any other controllers of their own, but that would have the opposite effect of what you seem to be implying- they would have to keep their prices low to adequately compete with the other controllers on the market. Especially as the controller isn't even a required device, considering that the mouse and keyboard works just as well as always.
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games