UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

32-64 bit generation = retro?

Those systems are like 20 years old at this point~ yesterdays handhelds surpassed 'em, nevermind todays! Is it time their games get lumped in with NES & all the others which came before 'em? Do peoples already do that o.o? Is "retro" a look/presentation thing or an age thing?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
No, I don't think so.

3D games from the 32-64 bit era aren't any different from games today, except in the skin department. If anything it's still considered part of the current legacy of games, just from a much cruder time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I thought they generally already were considered in retro-gaming with the PS2 being the oldest of the modern gaming consoles. Dreamcast is probably technically a modern console, but it's short lifespan and rarity has made it more retro.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

I just think they're different kinds of retro. There's 8-16 bit retro, and there's the 32-64 bit retro.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
No, I don't think so.

3D games from the 32-64 bit era aren't any different from games today, except in the skin department. If anything it's still considered part of the current legacy of games, just from a much cruder time.
Saturn/PS still had a good chunk of 2d sprite based games though whereas the systems which followed console & handheld had very few. Would those count as retro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I thought they generally already were considered in retro-gaming with the PS2 being the oldest of the modern gaming consoles. Dreamcast is probably technically a modern console, but it's short lifespan and rarity has made it more retro.
Dreamycast is rare?! Theres no way anyone can count that as retro yet. No way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
I just think they're different kinds of retro. There's 8-16 bit retro, and there's the 32-64 bit retro.
That seems like it could get real convoluted down the line x.x; Does that make pre-NES stuff even retro'r?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Saturn/PS1, maybe. I don't see any apparent characteristics in game-style that would make a some recognize anything later as "retro" though. How is Halo materially different from modern FPS anyway? There might be some archaisms in it, but it's still a FPS and is 99% homologous with its sequels and any titles inspired by it.

Versus, I dunno, Donkey Kong Country. That was a 2D side-scroller with 32-bit CGI graphics, which was unusual for the SNES and still looks weird today. That's definitely retro in my mind.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

HALO is 128 bit. Not 64. PS2, Gamecube, Xbox are not (yet) retro.

Retro is PS1, N64, and older.

Dreamcast has the stats and technology of the 6th generation consoles, but as great as it was, it never had lasting impact due it SEGA's general failures. People whip out Dreamcasts when they want to feel nostalgic, they don't keep it in their living rooms to keep playing games on each day. It didn't have enough games for it =x

Meanwhile I still have a PS2 plugged into my TV as well as the Wii and 360. They all have backlogs.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #8
Chalis
Activating Rampage

I have my PS2, N64 and Xbox all sitting there. I still consider them okay by today, but I've hardly played any new games, so maybe that's why I feel that.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This feels like a discussion about modern art. Some people want to use the word "modern" for what it means in normal English; other people want to use the word for its reserved meaning in the art community. Because the jackasses in the art community decided to name a style "modern" (as, at the time, it was modern), we're left with this bizarre name that doesn't reflect the word's normal usage. Modern (in the lay sense) artwork has to be called "contemporary" or "postmodern" because of this.

That's what I feel is happening here. Some people look at the word "retro," take it to mean "old; outdated," and discuss whether the N64 is to be considered "retro" yet or not. Others (namely Doppel) seem to treat "retro video games" as an identifier for the games of the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. Games predating the NES are not "retro" in this interpretation, though they are even older than NES titles. Games for the N64 onward are not "retro" insofar as their design and general aesthetic does not match that of games from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras.

I think it's important, if we're to have a meaningful conversation, to agree on what "retro video games" even means. Does it mean "old school"? Or does it describe a class of video games from a very specific, very fixed window of time?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Is there a kids react to PS1? Cause if so we prolly have our answer lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
People whip out Dreamcasts when they want to feel nostalgic, they don't keep it in their living rooms to keep playing games on each day. It didn't have enough games for it =x
Are you calling DC the original "no games" console? Cause if so... >_< Mine's still plugged in btw so there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I think it's important, if we're to have a meaningful conversation, to agree on what "retro video games" even means. Does it mean "old school"? Or does it describe a class of video games from a very specific, very fixed window of time?
Is old school different from retro? I always thought those were interchangable when it came ta games.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games