UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
In all seriousness, the second episode was surprisingly pretty good. This isn't at all your typical sports anime. Had a few pretty funny moments, too. I GUESS I'll pick it up... *groan*.
Oh you know you love it just like the rest of us!

Episode 2:
Spoiler: show
Kou turns out to be an audience-insert character - but she sums up almost all of the reactions we've seen in this thread so far, so I find her fun to have around. :3

I'd appreciate if I could get a confirmation on something: was Haruka's green bathwater due to some spa/soap/other thing? It just looked a bit off to someone who's only ever seen bath stuff that makes a load of bubbles instead of making water a different color.

Next week's episode seems to focus on Mr. Glasses and getting him out of the track or athletics club and into the swim club. Glasses guy is my favorite of the characters right now (design-wise) so I'm really looking forward to having him as a regular member. :3
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

This show is so gay.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
deoxys
Fog Badge

HELP ME GUYS I CAN'T STOP

BORKED
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #29
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
HELP ME GUYS I CAN'T STOP
Guys, stop panicking! This show is good. Just admit it and get out of your collective Hot Men In Swimwear Closet.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #30
deoxys
Fog Badge

B-but I'm talking about making videos about it not watching ripped sweaty dudes the anime
Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #31
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Episode 2 wasn't bad. It had loads of character development without being rushed, which is a plus. I can't really think of any complaints about this episode.

Also this show is making me want to rewatch Inukami.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #32
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I actually thought this episode was way less gay than the first episode ...

... until they showed Haruka in a bathtub, sad and naked, thinking about how he quit swimming competitively because he didn't want to hurt Rin again.

The MILFy teacher who has a propensity to quote Chinese proverbs: I wasn't sure where they were going with the whole, "Miss Ama-chan, I heard you used to work for a swimwear company!" bit. At first, I thought about big bad birtha and his job at Victoria's Secret as a panty fitter; she helped guys try on Speedos, and made sure they fit properly! It'd be a bit risque to have a teacher join the swim club because she enjoys looking at her students in skimpy swimsuits, but it sure would be funny. I guess the oggling role has already been filled by Gou.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Episode 3, guys!
So many sparkling eyes I lost count. Haru and the all-year-round swimming, Rei and his obsession with beauty, Nagisa and...him doing something useful I guess! Also lost count of the shots with Rei pushing his glasses up or otherwise doing the "fingers pressing on glasses" thing or whatever you call it - I bet that has a name.

Turns out Rei can't swim, but looks like that'll be fixed next week with lots of hot body shots, charming smiles and some more shots of rippling muscles. And mathematical equations from Rei. :3 I find our little theorist adorkable as hell.

Anyone else feel like swimming after watching a Free!-episode?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
McSweeney
Soul Badge

It does make me want to buy one of those snazzy new Olympic grade swimming trunks. When I was in swimming in the 90s, we just had those super skimpy Speedos, and there's no way I'll ever wear those again!

I find it hard to believe that any human was able to resist Nagisa's pleas to join the swim club for so long. How can you say no to this face?

We received confirmation this episode that the boys do, in fact, lift. That's a relief. For a while there, I thought they were going to try pretending that you can build physiques like that just by swimming!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #35
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
We received confirmation this episode that the boys do, in fact, lift. That's a relief. For a while there, I thought they were going to try pretending that you can build physiques like that just by swimming!
In my experience with sports anime (tennis, basketball, karuta and now swimming) the story is usually very faithful to there being other forms of training and practice that the characters do besides just taking part in tournaments. Can't say for sure how accurate Free! is in its portrayal of competitive swimming otherwise, we haven't seen tournaments and Haru's whole deal with freestyle makes it harder to say how "pro" anyone is in this show.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #36
deoxys
Fog Badge

Reaction to episode 3 (particularly when Nagisa was talking to Rei halfway through)
Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #37
McSweeney
Soul Badge

It looks like enthusiasm for this show has died a horrible horrible death! I had very low expectations after episode 1, but it's improved a lot since then. It's still not a great show, but it's mildly amusing, and that's all we can really ask for. I'm in until the end.

It's cool that Rei ended up specializing in butterfly. Do not be deceived by its wussy name; it is the manliest of all swimming strokes! The reason why some people use it in freestyle is because you can actually swim faster than front crawl for very short distances, but its exhausting nature makes it slower in the long run.

I especially liked this quote from Rin: "Just look at their bodies, they clearly haven't been working out!"

CLEARLY.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #38
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It hasn't, I'm letting my muscles rest. Or rather, I'm exercising my brain so I can continue to feed those biceps! School comes first!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #39
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
It looks like enthusiasm for this show has died a horrible horrible death!
There was enthusiasm for this show?

Or are you just mistaking enthusiasm for ladyboners?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #40
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The first 10 posts in this thread were from guys, so just regular boners.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #41
Char
Banned

I do want to watch this, but I'm always surrounded by other people who can see what I'm doing. Not really worried about the NSA.

Y/N?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #42
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
It looks like enthusiasm for this show has died a horrible horrible death!

It's cool that Rei ended up specializing in butterfly. Do not be deceived by its wussy name; it is the manliest of all swimming strokes! The reason why some people use it in freestyle is because you can actually swim faster than front crawl for very short distances, but its exhausting nature makes it slower in the long run.

I especially liked this quote from Rin: "Just look at their bodies, they clearly haven't been working out!"

CLEARLY.
Quote:
The first 10 posts in this thread were from guys, so just regular boners.
My enthusiasm gets harder larger every episode! I wanted to see what you GUYS () think of this first before making a post of my own, but...here goes!
Finally the butterfly for Rei is explained! (Dolphin for Haru, penguin for Nagisa, Makoto has a whale and Rei a dolphin. Just check the shirts in the ED and Nagisa's penguin boxers in Episode 1.)

Now, a possibly offensive remark that's not meant in an offensive manner!

Haru and Rin having their No Homo Talk against the fence was So Homo.

This show is so yaoi-fanfic bait I don't even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
I do want to watch this, but I'm always surrounded by other people who can see what I'm doing. Not really worried about the NSA.

Y/N?
If you're a real man, it's always Y! Always watch manly shows about manly men doing manly things in speedos in the pool while doing yaoi-worthy dialog!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #43
deoxys
Fog Badge

Well it finally happened. The writers stopped being subtle.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #44
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Those poor boys. I thought they would be able to breeze through 12 episodes taking some dips, having a few laughs, and just having a gay old time. Who would have thought that they would actually have to SWIM FOR THEIR LIVES!

Quote:
Well it finally happened. The writers stopped being subtle.
It's just another small innuendo of his. He does that all the time. I especially liked in episode 3 when Rei said, "We aren't that close" and Nagisa responds, "We can get closer once you join the swim club" and scoots closer to him, causing Rei to scoot in the opposite direction. Quite adorable, really.

It was pretty funny when Rei went to push his glasses up, but there was nothing there.

I know a lot of people will feel some incest vibes this episode, but I'm not convinced yet. Maybe Gou was just really happy that she finally gets to be a little closer to her brother, after being ignored by him all the time. Of course, there was this picture at the end of the episode, where she appears to be admiring his cannonball deltoids, but THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES. I'll be keeping my eye on those two.

How much do you want to bet that there will be some mouth to mouth resuscitation going on next episode? And it ain't gonna involve Gou or MILFy teacher lady.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #45
deoxys
Fog Badge

This song is like a drug. I cannot stop listening to it because it's been in my head non-stop the past two days.

Worst case of earbug I've had in probably at least a year, no question. I usually get songs in my head and think about them once every few hours over and over, but this... it just plays on repeat in my head over and over and doesn't stop.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #46
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
This song is like a drug. I cannot stop listening to it because it's been in my head non-stop the past two days.

Worst case of earbug I've had in probably at least a year, no question. I usually get songs in my head and think about them once every few hours over and over, but this... it just plays on repeat in my head over and over and doesn't stop.
Are you aware that the full single is already out? Full version of Splash Free and a coupling song, Water Surprise!, along with off vocal versions and a remix of Splash Free?

I just wish it has the dance moves the ED shows so much. Blue, blue, blue~
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yeah, I actually just found it after I made that comment. It's ruined my life a little bit more, but in a more complete and convenient manner.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #48
deoxys
Fog Badge

New episode: They should rename the show from Free! to Feels!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #49
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Are you aware that the full single is already out? Full version of Splash Free and a coupling song, Water Surprise!, along with off vocal versions and a remix of Splash Free?

I just wish it has the dance moves the ED shows so much. Blue, blue, blue~
Is it just me, or does the ED sound really similar to Karneval's Reason?
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #50
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Is it just me, or does the ED sound really similar to Karneval's Reason?
I can kinda see what you mean...but the melody's just different enough to keep them apart.

EDIT:

Quote:
New episode: They should rename the show from Free! to Feels!
Feel Free to Feel Up the Feels with Feeling! *shot*

Last edited by kaisap112; 08-14-2013 at 05:24 PM.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime