UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #51
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Bowman. Bowman!

Bowman is a musician on the Homestuck team and recently released a solo album; needless to say I am completely in love with it.

My favorite song on it is Come With Me. Normally I'd prefer the more electric songs in the album like Tacit Blue or Cerulean Skies but Come With Me stole my heart.

EDIT: Oh, and the Zelda Symphony soundtrack. My parents also loved it very much and want to go to the Zelda concert when it comes to Orlando.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #52
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
Florence + The Machine, like Mumford And Sons, took ages to grow on me. I listened to Lungs about 3-4 times before I finally 'got' it. Now I absolutely love her. I don't know what it was that took me so long to like about it. But I just absolutely love her voice. And the new album didn't disapoint either. My only real criticism was that Lungs was more spontaneous, like Kiss With A Fist was like 2 minutes of pure energy. But like every song on Ceremonials is like 4-6 minutes, but Lungs would have like some long 5 minute songs and some short like 2 minute songs. So I feel Ceremonials could have benefitted from some much smaller more sponetaneous energetic songs rather than a whole album of these really long massive songs. That said though, it is a really good album~
It was definitely the same for me originally. I heard 'Dog Days Are Over' and decided that I had to go and listen to the rest of their songs. After a couple of run throughs of her album, I realised that I had fallen in love with her voice and since then I have absolutely loved Florence + the Machine.

Now as for what I am listening to:

- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- Lykke Li
- Rent OBC
- Avril Lavigne
- Glee
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #53
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

BORKED

Most of you don't like this style of music, but this is just so relaxing and magical. Don't knock it until you've heard it all the way through.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #54
deoxys
Fog Badge

Hard rock/Rock ballad: Imaginarium by Nightwish. Concept album about an old composer suffering dimensia who relapses into his childhood in his mind as he's dying. It's fucking incredible.

My favorite song is Storytime. It's so... epic?

Also Midgeorge, I love deadmau5. Strobe is a great song.

Last edited by deoxys; 01-22-2012 at 11:15 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #55
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
My favorite song is Storytime. It's so... epic?
The very first few seconds of that track remind me of Unsolved Mysteries (0m10s onward). But then it gets, uh, too heavy for my tastes. ^^; Once the singing begins, it lightens up a little? But those occasional bursts, *BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!* explosions of noise, that arrive out of nowhere are a little deafening. The chorus melody (first heard at ~1m00s) is nice. Catchy. Kind of pop-py, actually. It's like someone took pop and mixed it with quasi-metal to get this song. The lyrics seem like someone inhaled a vat's worth of vaporized LSD, though. ^^;

Pretty sure I own a CD by Nightwish. *gets up to go look* *gets back as song finishes* Yep, I sure do. "Once," it's called. *turns it over* Looks like it has thirteen tracks.

*gets up to put it away and see what else he has* Well, would you look at that!? I've got a second CD by them, too! This one looks like it's called "Dark Passion Play" and it too looks like it's got thirteen tracks.

Does this mean that, despite my criticisms of your beloved song's noisiness, I get musical street credit with you now, Deo?

deoxys: We are like brothers.

EDIT: While we're on the topic of kinda noisy pop-metal, "Ice Queen" by Within Temptation is one of the few songs I know. Someone used it in one of my favorite AMVs and, as a result, I fell in love with the song. No idea who the band is or whether they're lol-reviled or omg-celebrated amongst people with your musical tastes, Deo, but there you have it.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-22-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #56
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
EDIT: While we're on the topic of kinda noisy pop-metal, "Ice Queen" by Within Temptation is one of the few songs I know. Someone used it in one of my favorite AMVs and, as a result, I fell in love with the song. No idea who the band is or whether they're lol-reviled or omg-celebrated amongst people with your musical tastes, Deo, but there you have it.
I like "See Who I Am" by Within Temptation since it was also used in a very well-done Kingdom Hearts AMV.

Listening to a J-pop artist I discovered the other day named Ayaka. Especially like Te wo Tsunagou.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #57
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Also Midgeorge, I love deadmau5. Strobe is a great song.
You are a good person.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #58
Roglef
Thunder Badge

Ode to Anthem's (my brother's band) EP is out now. Its pretty decent, I'd say. The whole thing is on soundcloud! Here!

Roglef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #59
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Been enjoying some nice The Last of the Mohicans soundtrack lately. Haven't been listening to much music though... maybe 1 hour a week while I browse the internet for the past few weeks.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #60
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

So now I'm listening to some Psytrance, Garage, Liquid, Jungley stuff. Music that generally defines hard drugs, but it still sounds great. Namely Karsh Kale, Serum and Bladerunner, Maverick Sabre, Macca, and other names nobody has heard of.

Spoiler: show
BORKED
Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #61
deoxys
Fog Badge

Had a bit of a relapse recently and picked up Cities and New Surrender by Anberlin. One of my favorite songs.

I don't expect it to be a band anyone here would enjoy, but maybe I'd be surprised, who knows. I must admit Talon, I'm a bit surprised that you have two Nightwish albums, and good ones, too. I've never heard the song you linked before, and I've never heard of the band... it's not bad, but not exactly my cup of tea. It's funny, my musical tastes actually vary quite a bit. I appreciate a lot of music and enjoy quite a bit on all sides of the spectrum (except country. Eugh.) So I guess you could say I'm a mixed bag :P

Other than that, not much. I'm planning on going through and listening to the Scott Pilgrim: The Game soundtrack later. Love Animaniguchi.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #62
Roglef
Thunder Badge

>Nightwish-good stuff, for sure. My friend made a marching band rendition of one of their songs.

>Anberlin- It gets played all the time where I live. I enjoy them a good bit.

Roglef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #63
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://soundcloud.com/poolsideband/p...er-of-the-meat

This song. Been stuck in my head for like a week. I need to screen what songs go on my phone before I put them on (not that this is a terrible song or anything).

edit: Soundcloud tags don't work here? Aw.

In other news, german techno band Funker Vogt, Flobots, Hawthorne Height's album "Fragile Future", and "Hot Fuss" by The Killers.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #64
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Not much of a major music person myself.. Through when I do listen:

I prefer to hear Pop-ish music on the radio, artists like
Taylor Swift
Nickelback
Daughtry
One Republic
The Frey

I enjoy soundtracks and classical music:
Especially love the Star Wars soundtracks.
Also Pirates of the Caribbean.

My MP3 however, is overloaded with Anime music from the various anime I watch.
OPs, EDs, background music, and special albums.

When I listen on youtube, rarely, I mostly listen to Vocaloid.
Currently listening to Silence [Nayuta], sung by Hatsune Miku.

Planning to set get some Vocaloid Music to put on my MP3.
My most favorite kind of music though is mystic, and haunting.

Last edited by unownmew; 02-11-2012 at 05:52 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #65
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
Nickelback
Daughtry
Now I'm convinced you're a troll...
Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #66
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Now I'm convinced you're a troll...

How can anyone NOT like If Today was Your Last Day and If Everyone Cared ?
They're so uplifting.

You're free to your opinion of course, but I'm no more a troll then you are.

I also like One Republic, and the Frey some, forgot to add those in.

Currently listening to "When We Stand Together" By Nickelback

Last edited by unownmew; 02-11-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #67
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JeeDsBUv4

Just Google "most hated band ever".
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #68
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JeeDsBUv4

Just Google "most hated band ever".
I do, expecting to see waves of heated hate, and yet, I find just one article deriding them on the first page, and on Wikipedia the words:
Quote:
Nickelback is one of the most commercially successful Canadian groups, having sold more than 50 million albums worldwide,[3] ranking as the 11th best selling music act of the 2000s, and is the 2nd best selling foreign act in the U.S. behind The Beatles for the 2000's.[4][5]

Doesn't match up. Apparently Nickelback is just the most hated among those who think it's cool to hate things.

Currently entertaining myself with:
Angry German Kid vs Popipo (Hatsune Miku)
Pure Genius.
(Original Song for Reference: PoPiPo)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #69
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Rush is the best Canadian musical act.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #70
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
Doesn't match up. Apparently Nickelback is just the most hated among those who think it's cool to hate things.
I don't hate them ironically, and most people don't. I dislike their abuse of the four chord song, usually G C D E or B, and yes, many bands do, but they use it as the basis behind almost every song. And then they throw on some lyrics about sex, drugs, or getting drunk, and apparently that's enough to call it a song. Also Chad Kroger produced one of Daughtry's album, so, no surprise there as to why they sound like Nickelback... I mean, if you really like them, then that's good, but I won't lie when I say I sincerely thought you were trolling.

Currently listening to another Canadian band that is also classified as shitty rock by a lot of people, but... Three Days Grace, this is the song I'm currently listening to (No More), also just learned it on guitar (trigger warning: emo rock)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #71
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
I don't hate them ironically, and most people don't. I dislike their abuse of the four chord song, usually G C D E or B, and yes, many bands do, but they use it as the basis behind almost every song. And then they throw on some lyrics about sex, drugs, or getting drunk, and apparently that's enough to call it a song. Also Chad Kroger produced one of Daughtry's album, so, no surprise there as to why they sound like Nickelback... I mean, if you really like them, then that's good, but I won't lie when I say I sincerely thought you were trolling.
I don't like any songs that are blatantly about sex, drugs or getting drunk. I know they've done a few, and while I find the "music" entertaining enough, I dislike the lyrics. I'm not studied enough to make any judgements on their song technique though, I just like it. Their uplifting songs though, which I'd listed, I especially love.

I had no trolling intentions though, I liked all the bands I listed, and had no idea they could be considered trolling points..

Anyway, not going to continue as to keep this topic on topic.

Currently listening to The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku (Dead End)
Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #72
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

A while back, I caught wind of this - roughly five seconds of every #1 hit song, going up to about the early 90s or so. I find this stuff pretty darn interesting, so imagine my interest when I found that someone went a fair shot further with this, doing ten seconds of every hit song (seems to be defined as "everything that hit Billboard's yearly Top 100 list") by year, starting in the mid-50s and, so far, covering every decade up to the 90s.

Everything from this series so far can be found here.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

At 60 years x 100 songs/year x 10 seconds/song, that's 60,000 seconds of music. 16 hours and 40 minutes just to listen to that entire project. And that's assuming you never pause to try and figure out what a particular song is. Good luck with that. ^^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #74
deoxys
Fog Badge

I've listened to this 3 times in the past 3 days, it's that good.

BORKED
Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #75
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Quote:
I've listened to this 3 times in the past 3 days, it's that good.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED~ I listened to this um... I never counted, but it's at least 30 minutes of this video replayed over and over again xd;

MYAH ITS THAT GOOD

BORKED

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment