UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Dragonball: Evolution writer apologizes for Dragonball: Evolution

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...ogizes-to-fans

Quote:
“I knew that it would eventually come down to this one day. Dragonball Evolution marked a very painful creative point in my life. To have something with my name on it as the writer be so globally reviled is gut wrenching. To receive hate mail from all over the world is heartbreaking. I spent so many years trying to deflect the blame, but at the end of the day it all comes down to the written word on page and I take full responsibility for what was such a disappointment to so many fans. I did the best I could, but at the end of the day, I ‘dropped the dragon ball.’

I went into the project chasing after a big payday, not as a fan of the franchise but as a businessman taking on an assignment. I have learned that when you go into a creative endeavor without passion you come out with sub-optimal results, and sometimes flat out garbage. So I’m not blaming anyone for Dragonball but myself. As a fanboy of other series, I know what it’s like to have something you love and anticipate be so disappointing.

To all the Dragon Ball fans out there, I sincerely apologize.
I hope I can make it up to you by creating something really cool and entertaining that you will like and that is also something I am passionate about. That’s the only work I do now.

Best,

Ben.”

Really sad to hear the guy has not only endured years of torment of hate mail (and probably death threats), and he probably won't have a very successful career in the future, but man... You know, I don't necessarily blame him, even though he says he takes full responsibility. I think this was far and away more the fault of the studio and the production team, not to mention god-awful casting choices for actors. I'm not sure even the best writing could have fixed any of the other dozens of problems the film had as a whole.

Hollywood: this is why you hire a production team (and writers) that are actually passionate about (or at least somewhat a fan of) the work they are adapting. This is why so many adaptations of anime/cartoons/video games are so bad. The studio doesn't give a fuck. They'll sink as much money as they need into it to make it flashy, but the payday a big franchise like that would bring is all they are focused on. And that's terrible.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I really don't care about DB that much anymore but there's some things that stand out to me in this case.

1. One shot wonders are not un-common. Even screen-writers who nail their one opportunity don't break out and become successful. Examples: Chris Columbus did a good job with the first two HP movies but hasn't done much sense. Neither has Alfonso Curan, who did movie #3 and was popular with the cast and production crew. Meanwhile, Kurtzman and Orci used their friendship with J. J. Abrams to sneak bad scripts into big budget movies. There's no reason for this guy to feel wrong about a big payday and actually getting that big break.

2. The writer just makes the director's vision a reality. He's a doctor performing an abortion, not the woman who wanted it. Had he objected to the director for creative criticism he might have been fired.

3. Fans are retarded and being able to harass someone online for arsinine reasons like a bad movie shouldn't be so easy.

4. I can't imagine a guy who wants to work in Hollywood having thin skin. So I have to question the ulterior behind issuing this apology.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pretty cool to have that apology, actually. Usually the public receives nothing of the sort, and so it becomes all to easy to go through life thinking that not a single one of these writers (or other people attached to botched adaptations of beloved source material) are ever sorry for what they did. And not in the selfish "I'm sorry because of all the hate mail I've gotten" sense, but in the selfless "I'm sorry because I know what it's like to have a franchise you really love get botched by Hollywood, and so I am truly sorry to have been the botcher this time for all of you " sense.

Was the apology necessary? Well no, but that's not really important to me. Necessary or unnecessary, who cares. What I care about is that he even deigned to give it, and the authenticity within said apology. It's pretty sad that one bad manuscript attached to (what was intended to be) a Hollywood summer blockbuster can utterly ruin your career in film writing. Which I'd have to imagine it has for him: he only had two film scripts before then (one in 1998, one in 2002), and he's had zero film scripts get published since the 2009 Dragon Ball movie. On the one hand, that seven-year gap matches the seven years between 2002 and 2009, so maybe we shouldn't read into it too much. But on the other hand, the man's gone seven years without writing another script that went on to get picked up and turned into a movie. And when writing's your professed bread and butter, those seven years may as well be seen as seven years of unemployment.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime