UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Anime You Want To See Remade

Which anime series would you most like to see remade? Perhaps you weren't happy with the original's animation. Or perhaps it's simply so old that the animation, once lovely, just doesn't hold up anymore and makes the series a tough sell to newcomers? Maybe it was the script that bothered you. Maybe it deviated too much from the source material, or maybe it was just plain awful. Whatever your reasons, tell us which anime series you most want to see remade.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've got a couple that come to mind, but the first one I want to mention was one I was reminded of only earlier today ...

A Dog of Flanders: This television series aired from January 5, 1975 to December 28, 1975. Spanning 52 episodes, it told the story of the orphan boy Nello and his faithful companion Patrasche the dog. While the television series was later adapted into a film in 1997, the film a) was only 103 minutes long and b) sought to preserve the 1975 television series' look and feel. While I think that both of these were excellent choices (a cinema-length version was needed and it's a very nice gesture to fans of the original work to preserve the art style), I also feel that they were excellent choices for their place and time. 1997 was about as close to 1975 as it is to 2014. Putting things into perspective, it's been 39 years since the '75 television series first aired. The animation is definitely dated and I worry that it puts most people off watching this tale. The length, though, is also something I'd like to see addressed. 103 minutes is fine for people who want the abridged version of the tale. And 52 episodes, I feel, is far too long. (You don't require 20 hours to tell a tale that was originally told in a 293-page novel from 1872! Let alone when using visual media to tell that tale!) But I think a 13-episode treatment would be just right. At thirteen episodes, you'd have plenty of time to get to know Nello and Patrasche. Each episode would be well-poised to tell the next segment of the story. I'm not saying thirteen's a perfect number for it necessarily, but I think it'd be a good fit. Part of the problem with the film is that the impact of the story's ending is arguably lessened since you spend less time with the main characters. And part of the problem with the '75 television series is that it simply takes too long to tell the tale.

So for reasons of both wanting to see updated animation and wanting to see an intermediate-length treatment, I'd like to see A Dog of Flanders reanimated as a thirteen-episode television series.

Love Hina: The romantic comedy that paved the way for pretty much every romantic comedy series that followed over the next ten years. While Love Hina's a classic, the animation has not aged well. The original series also diverged from the manga in a few annoying ways. I would enjoy seeing a do-over with modern animation and a manga-faithful plot chapter for chapter. I don't think it needs to happen (since the manga, vastly superior to the television series, is just as good now as it was in 2000), but it's a selfish wish. ;p Even more selfishly, Horie Yui would have to reprise her role as Narusegawa Naru. I only hope she can still sound every bit as young and new to voice acting as she did back then -- it really lends the character an air of authenticity. Possibly too much to ask.

Loki's anime: I don't want to steal Loki's thunder. So I'll just say that the manga Loki has been trying to get me to read for the past ten years (because of how bad the anime adaptation that I watched is) could probably use a do-over. The original's animation was pretty nice: that's not the problem. The problem is the plot. It needs to follow the manga to the letter. I hope Loki will post here soon. When he does, you'll see which anime I'm talking about.

Fushigi Yuugi: I need to rewatch this one to see if it holds up to my rose-colored lenses' view of it. (Last time I watched it was in 2004. ^^; ) But if it does, then it definitely gets my vote. It really wants a fresh coat of paint -- the 1995 animation of Studio Pierrot has an unmistakable charm all its own, but it is really, really aged. ^^; A do-over could also give this story a chance to feature an all-star voice acting cast, particularly a new voice for the protagonist. (Sorry. ^^;; ) Here's where things might get controversial though: not gonna lie, I think I'd like to see a redo attempt to clean up the second half / final third somewhat. I don't want to spoil people on particulars, so all I'll say is that certain characters who should have been amazing turned out to be rather underwhelming and certain plot developments were indefensibly dumb. Normally I hate it when anime studio writers pen made-for-TV scripts since normally they're a lot worse than what the original author came up with. But in this case ... like I said, I'm not gonna spoil anything with particulars, I'm just going to say that certain portions of the second half could use some improvement. It's still a great series even as it is. I just think it'd be a 10/10 masterpiece on a lot of viewers' lists if the story got touched up a bit.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

It's name is Chrono Crusade. A beautiful story about broken people trying to fix their lives. Not some crazy anti-Christ story about the Pope getting shot. Fuck Gonzo. Someone else remake it please!!!!

Daisy had pointed out a $9 used copy of all 8 volumes being sold by a blogger, which I considered buying as copies I would mail out to people like you. I ended up not doing it though... various reasons.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
The Fire Emblem OVA, which sadly was just a two episode run. It was okay, but its age really shows. As well, since we've had an English translation of the remake of the first game now, we have official English names characters, which are sometimes different from what is used in the OVA. Marth is called Mars here, for instance.

Japanese with subs
English dubbed
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Honestly? Pokemon.

I don't want to come across as a mad geewunner, but the first season rocked, and while its age shows - the style of direction is clearly dated - giving it an OVA with the same characters as the anime, but free of the television conventions, more flexibility with battles and a willingness to dig into the darker plots of the Adventures manga - would be great. Don't let the humans seem like they're at the mercy of Pokemon, for example, or that Pokemon all love each other in a Barney-esque, sanitary saccharine sanctuary of happy goodness.

Pokemon: The Origins is not how it's done. For one, that isn't even a retro Pokemon remake, it's an adaption of FR/LG which are more reinterpretations of RBY rather than remakes proper. Second, it was cheap, and while it dared to be a bit more bold than the anime, it's still a story down from what Adventures represents.

I'm not saying that there should be guns, beer, cigareets and AAML behind the dumpster of the Viridian City Pokemon Centre. But something Baldur's Gate-ish in approach - T for Teen - would be most welcome.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think we all want a Pokémon remake. But I also think we're too split over what we want for anyone to be happy with what the powers that be may produce for us.

For example, I too would like to a Kanto anime ... but I want it to stick close to the video games. I don't want the manga's story. (If you want it as a side project, fine, but don't force it upon me as "canon." It's not. Insofar as it diverges from the video games in a whole lot of ways, making villains out of heroes and inventing other heroes out of thin air, it's not the video games.) I don't want the historically revisionist take that Pokémon: the Origin was either with the Charizardite, but I honestly don't mind that nearly as much as the prospect of a Pokémon Adventures-faithful Game Freak video game-unfaithful anime.

For me, an ideal Pokémon anime would:
  • portray Red as a quiet loner. Not emo. Just quiet and alone.
  • portray his Pokémon as truly being his best friends
  • contradict nothing in the video games
  • augment material in the video games (e.g. developing backstory for Mr. Fuji and Blaine, developing backstory for the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City, developing backstory for Oak and Agatha)
That stated, I really enjoyed Pokémon: the Origin and felt that a Naruto-esque Red worked. It wasn't my ideal Red, but it worked plenty fine. Giovanni was perfect. Would change little/nothing about Episode 03 of P:tO except the brevity of the fights, particularly the Viridian City gym battle.

It's really not an easy matter. Gary's relationship with Red ... Red's relationship with the gym leaders ... the gym leaders' roles in the plot ... the role of Team Rocket in that universe ... the extent to which the Pokémon world ought to resemble our world ... fans differ in opinion on all sorts of issues that would stymie a Pokémon reboot. That's part of the reason why I think it's a miracle we even got P:tO. And it's also probably part of the reason why the powers that be only gave us four rushed episodes instead of attempting a 13-episode or longer treatment. It's much easier to say, "Imagine what could have been if we'd only had more time ... " and point to the failures of the four-episode special along with the rest of us than it is to excuse the creative decisions that go into making a well-thought-out 26-episode or 52-episode series.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

A Pokemon adaption of the video game isn't really a remake, it's a new series or a new adaption of the source material. A more accurate term would be "reboot". This distinction was recently brought up amidst the announcement of the Legend of the Galactic Heroes "remake".

What you want is an adaption of the games. That's not what I want at all - I want the anime redone, but better. The anime itself was an adaption of the games and I feel the changes made during that transition were for the better, since while the games have a story it's pretty bare bones as were most frame tales (i.e., Zelda) typical of the Gameboy era. Pokemon would have been fine if the desire to perpetuate it didn't influence the series' ultimate trajectory.

Adventures isn't all it's cracked up to be, but the willingness to end the story, kill off characters/Pokemon and for lack of a better metaphor tackle a more mature approach to the story is everything that keeps the Pokemon anime in its current zombified form sterile.

What I envision is something similar to Getter Robo Armageddon. Nobody here has seen it or the original Getter, but Getter Robo was your stereotypical monster-of-the-week fare. Not unlike Pokemon. Shin added character, plot, themes, pretty much everything that normal anime have, but 1970's kiddie fare didn't. It was also "edgy" to help sell those concepts to both newer fans and the older ones.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not interesting in arguing semantics. I laid out the definition of a "remake" in the OP post. If you want to say FMA: Brotherhood isn't a "remake," that's your prerogative. Source-faithful do-overs are "remakes" for the purposes of this discussion. It's the discussion I want to have.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-28-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Kobato

Bit weird, but honestly it's the one I want to see "remade" most. I don't care if it follows the manga for the most part or not (I hear it has a sappy conclusion too), but if it just used my idea for an ending instead it'd be so much better. It bothers me that much. =3= Thinking about my headcanon... If it were real... It seriously hurts a bit to think it didn't come true within the story, for both characters' sake. =/

Spiral ~Suiri no Kizuna~

Manga was much better. 'Nuff said.

Little Busters!

Blah blah JC supposedly didn't do it justice blah blah.

Angel Beats!

Sorta half and half on this. It would've been nice if they had stuck to the original plan to have 24 episodes so they could flesh out all the characters, but I'm not sure it warrants a remake at this point.

School Rumble San Gakki

If they're gonna conclude the story following the manga, at least do it properly. Don't just jam it all into two episodes.

Juuni Kokuki

Or rather at least a continuation. Taikiiiiiiiiii

Shaman King

See above. Somewhat similar situation to HxH, although here the manga actually got canceled. I hear the author did later release the final chapters though, I should really catch up on that.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Little Busters is already a remake of Angel Beats.

JC Staff buuurn!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Little Busters is already a remake of Angel Beats.

JC Staff buuurn!
Fair point. One was too short, the other way too long. We need a middle ground here!
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
Char
Banned

Haven't watched too much of it, but perhaps Golden Boy.

I agree with Love Hina.

Chobits would be interesting.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Wot, why would you remake Golden Boy? It's perfect as is!

My answer is basically "nothing" since I hate how half of all the movies that come out these days are remakes/reboots. I'll admit that it certainly does work out sometimes. Without having seen the original, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that Kanon 2006 was way better.

I was curious to see how the Berserk remake would turn out, but they blew it. It's not even the CGI, I could have forgiven that, it's how they handled certain scenes. All of them were worse compared to the old anime, even without the censorship. They also skipped over the first two volumes AGAIN! So, I can not in good faith recommend it over the old anime, and especially not over the manga.

Another thing that had potential was Air the movie. It sounded like my dream come true: condense the story into one film, remove all the side stories and girls that I disliked in Air TV, and focus on the core plot and the mother daughter reconciliation. Toei even "fixed" the much maligned character art by making their eyes not so far apart! Unfortunately, they blew it. I especially dislike how they made Yukito and Misuzu's relationship romantic instead of purely platonic like it was in the TV series.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Chobits would be interesting.
I was thinking the same thing. The manga was a rather serious and often depressing read with lots of navel gazing. The atmosphere of the anime was incredibly cheery and light in comparison.

A remake of the anime that remains faithful to the atmosphere and pacing of the manga would be interesting, but stressful to watch. (Well, for me anyway. I'll never forget the chapter in the manga where Freya goes into painfully exquisite detail on just what it felt like to die. Poor Freya! T.T)

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 03-01-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've been trying to think of anime I want remade, but I'm mostly coming up with blanks. The biggest reason is that most older anime are like 50+ episodes, and nowadays we're lucky to get a show that's 25 episodes, meaning we'll get a big pile of rushed. I have thought of a couple though:

Daitarn 3 - I'm sure this is nothing more than a typical 80's mecha show, but I always thought Daitarn 3 was pretty cool. I just couldn't stomach how insanely dumb the original show was. Maybe a remake would make that bearable. Mazinger didn't, but they atleast made it badass.

Little Busters - Fuck JC Staff.

That's it, really. Most of the older shows I like are better off not butchered and fucked with, like Sexy Commando Gaiden. That show is actually better off looking shitty, since that's partly what made it funny.

Oh, and for shows I don't want to see be remade:

Fate/Stay Night - Ufotable has better things to do!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Sailor Moon?

All jokes aside, I'd like Card Captor Sakura to be remade, or at least be given an official sequel, not the disjointed pseudo-sequels that Tsubasa and xxxHolic were. CCS was the first Shojo animé that I watched and enjoyed. It really had the potential to become huge, but it never truly reached its acme of potential.

Gundam SEED Destiny: This was the lesser sequel of a deeply polarising animé. Personally, I hold the view that Destiny was utterly terrible and ruined SEED, which was actually watchable and fun. Destiny has a lot of potential, and if they rebooted to make Shinn the likeable protagonist, instead of the asshole deutagonist to Jesus!Kira, this animé would be much better. And I still have enough faith in the SEED series to really want a remake.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
I would personally like to see Vampire Knight remade.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I'd be all aboard a One Piece-Kai of sorts, chop the filler out and put a bit more bulk into each episodes like they did in the early going.

A full anime run of Dragonhalf would be absolutely wonderful, and a Steel Angel Kurumi that actually followed the manga plot would be a ton of fun (I'd actually get to see how it ends and everything!).

I'd say a Tenchi remake would be nice, but they kind of remake it all the time and they haven't done a good one since Universe.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #19
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Love Hina: The romantic comedy that paved the way for pretty much every romantic comedy series that followed over the next ten years.
It's funny reading this because I absolutely, with a dying passion, hate Love Hina and most of the romcoms that tried to emulate it.

Of course I'd be down for a Ranma remake that followed the manga closely or at least had one of the major story arcs animated, instead of just random episodes.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #20
Connor
Flashbacker

One anime I think needs the FMA: Brotherhood treatment is Soul Eater. The original anime run was, in my opinion, flaccid. It stayed true to some of the manga material for the opening parts, but the 'big bad' was eventually defeated by "the ultimate punch of ultimate friendship' after what was a pretty lacklustre battle. A remake which stays true to the actual plot of the manga would need to be done well, but if it were, would make for a bloody brilliant watch.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #21
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I thought of one! They should do a remake of Urusei Yatsura. I know I dislike the show and have a strong hatred for the kind of "humor" it represents, but hear me out. A remake of this blah show would mean...MORE LUM DOUJINS! Yes, they should waste the budget on this show for the sole purpose of up-to-date fanart of Lum getting drilled. I'm a fucking genius!

Also maybe Kamisama no Memochou would be better if someone like PA would remake that? Not sure if its flaws are because of JC or not, but it's something to consider!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 AM   #22
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
A remake of this blah show would mean...MORE LUM DOUJINS! Yes, they should waste the budget on this show for the sole purpose of up-to-date fanart of Lum getting drilled. I'm a fucking genius!
A lot of people want to see League of Legends become popular in Japan for that same reason ...

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #23
Mogar
Pokemon Trainer

I don't watch much anime, but probably the original Sailor Moon. Or perhaps my favourite anime, Higurashi.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #24
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

A .hack//Legend of the Twilight remake in which it stays faithful to the manga for more then 4 eps'd be real nice.

Gundam F91 was supposed to be a full tv series but instead whatever few episodes of material they had for that instead got clomped together into a real so-so movie. Redoing at as a proper series would be a pretty cool thing.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Can't believe I forgot about this one.

Kare Kano: This anime has a fantastic opening premise, a fun cast of main characters ... its only problems are:
  1. wretchedly old animation, like, you'd swear it was made in the early '90s if you didn't know any better
  2. not really knowing what to do with the male lead, the series swerves off into ridiculous territory
  3. a trainwreck of an ending for the television series
All three of these problems could be done away with with a modern anime production by one of the better-funded studios. With the author's blessing and a willingness to explore a different angle, they could deliver a made-for-TV version of the events that trumps both the manga and the original series.

Even if it's not called Kare Kano, I would love to see the premise re-examined in some future anime. I mean, come on:
Quote:
Yukino Miyazawa is a Japanese high school freshman who is the envy of classmates for her good grades and immaculate appearance. However, her "perfect" exterior is a facade, a charade she maintains to win praise. In the privacy of her own home, she is spoiled, stubborn, a slob, and studies relentlessly and obsessively to maintain her grades. On entering high school, she is knocked from her position at the top of the class by Souichirou Arima, a handsome young man whose very existence Yukino considers a threat to the praise on which she thrives, and she vows to destroy him.
How can you not love this?

Blemishes and all, the chase scene remains one of my favorite moments in all of anime. While it stands on its own merits, I'd love to see it and similar scenes make their way into the newer generation's hearts courtesy of some modern animation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime