Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
At least it can't evolve into Umbreon :v

This probably means that Crobat / Magmortar / Electrivire don't exist either
Old 05-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #77
Snorby
Snackin'

only disappointment here is no Crobat imo

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #78
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Unreasonable wishes: I low-key want them to bring back some of the Gen. 1 TMs, solely so that Teleport magmortar can be a thing with cross-generational shenaniganry. It's pretty much guaranteed to not happen at all, though.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #79
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

A bud pointed this tweet out to me, and holy shit.

The person in question is a legend.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #80
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Clearly people DID believe it since that information is what we've been digesting for the past month.

But I think the vast majority didn't want it to be true.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #81
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Let's Go games can't possibly be considered part of the real, mainline series even if they are being made by GF. They're a Colosseum or XD standing. The announcement of the 2019 games sealed it. Them cautioning fans by saying the real deals coming next year says it all imo. Would be a huge marketing blunder otherwise.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #82
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In light of Eevee's poor stats, poor level-up movepool, and how they solved the Pikachu/Raichu problem way back when with the Light Ball ... calling it now that they make an Eevee-only hold item for use in this game (and probably future games as well) that makes Eevee a not frustrating Story Mode partner. More than likely a Light Ball clone that functions exactly the same way (doubles Attack and Special Attack). Would have to be given fairly early on in the game to avoid poor Eevee getting cruelly boxed. So I'm thinkin', one possibility is that it's an item you start your adventure with. Another possibility, but one likelier to wind up with Eevee getting boxed , would be that Mr. Fuji presents it to you after you rescue him.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #83
Emi

There's no need to have it that late in the game because by then you can reach Celadon City and evolve Eevee.

Otherwise, I agree that Eevee is going to suck pretty hard during the early game until you can take the chance to evolve it, and even then there is a fair chance it will be missing moves it wants. (Eevee will probably be missing Water Pulse and Aurora Beam from Vaporeon, and Fire Fang from Flareon).
Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 PM   #84
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

It's been confirmed that starter!eevee won't be able to evolve, though. It has been confirmed that other ones will be available in the game (most likely the one in Celadon), and those will be able to evolve, but the starter one will be forever stuck. Seems like a good excuse to chuck Extreme Evoboost at ya, though. (Naturally, this applies to starter!pikachu as well, except with the extras being in Viridian Forest instead)

Old 05-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #85
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
There's no need to have it that late in the game because by then you can reach Celadon City and evolve Eevee.
Not if Eevee behaves like Yellow Pikachu and rejects any attempts at forced evolution.

Which is what I read, and in the flurry of news I can't recall this second if it's 100% confirmed or if it's just fan speculation. But if it does turn out to be the case, then this is why I'm making this prediction about a Light Ball E-Ball. Because lord knows people aren't going to keep on using a Lv.42 Eevee when the rest of their team consists of a Lv.40 Charizard, Lv.40 Venusaur, and Lv.40 Blastoise who all deal 2x to 3x more damage than Eevee can.

EDIT: Ninja'd but it looks like that's two of us now who have read this.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #86
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Thematically it makes no sense for a Pokemon whose entire purpose in life is to evolve, refuse evolution. There's only been TWO Eevee in the entire anime that have remained unevolved, and one of them was probably intended to be a Sylveon, but was changed in GF's development. The other was a one-shot character of the day.

With Pikachu, his refusal to evolve was a gimmick to keep him the mascot that the anime worked into his personality and backstory. And it's one of his defining traits, even if it's become more common for Pokemon to refuse evolution. Doesn't make sense with rando Eeevee doing it too.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #87
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Well, Gen. 7 already has given eevee a mechanical reason to never evolve, and one with longer-lasting effects than pikachu's own variants: species-specific Z-Moves. Yes, it would've made no sense for them to pull this last generation, but they at least have something to work with now.

Doesn't changed the fact that it's contrived as all get-out in this case, though.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #88
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That's not a hard reason though. Pikachu can use Catastropika, then evolve into Alolan Raichu then use Stoked Sparksurfer.

Only cap Pikachu, who can't evolve for event reasons, has a truly restricted Z-Move.

Also, I feel like this takes away one of the cooler aspects of Gary/Blue/The Rival's yellow development. If you keep losing to him, Eevee evolves into Vaporeon, as if to make it easier for the player to finally win. But if you keep beating him, Eevee evolves into the then-awesome Jolteon, which telegraphs that the rival is jealous and bitter about being beaten so much by an unevolved rodent.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 AM   #89
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Pikachu's locked as well, so Stoked Sparksurfer is kinda pointless to bring up. Which leaves us comparing Catastropika (a high-powered, one-time nuke with no secondary effect coming off of pikachu's base 55 Attack stat, which can't even be boosted via Light Ball because the Pikachuim-Z takes up its Item Slot, and does nothing beneficial against Ground Types and pokemon with the Lightningrod, Motor Drive, or Volt Absorb Abilities) and Extreme Evoboost (a one-time +2 to Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, thus effectively doubling all of eevee's actual stats with the sole drawbacks of using up its Item Slot and being gone for the rest of the match should it ever get KO'd, Roared at, or blown away with Whirlwind), and... that isn't exactly a fair comparison.

This is also assuming that Z-Moves are even a thing in the main game in the first place, which is highly likely to not be the case. So basically, we're looking at either getting a special item for eevee ala the Light Ball (as Talon suggested above), or the thing getting boxed whenever you're not just running around the Region showing off the fact that your little fox thing has better fashion sense than most of the local population, which is just plain sad.

The development probably lost its luster in general now that you can just grab a buddy and gang up on him I mean, that is a valid point regarding the rival. I honestly hadn't thought about him at all, which is pretty sad. Sure, it's been 13/14 years since I've played a Kanto game, but that doesn't excuse forgetting about the one character that had anything resembling actual development at the time!

Old 05-31-2018, 02:39 AM   #90
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Just give it Eeveeolite.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:11 AM   #91
Emi

I refuse to believe that they're going to cockblock Eevee like that. It makes literally no sense. It's not even thematically correct.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:23 AM   #92
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I refuse to believe that they're going to cockblock Eevee like that. It makes literally no sense. It's not even thematically correct.
But Eevee's got a new hat!

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #93
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It wouldn't make any sense from a canon perspective (Red is Red because he's the one who experienced the events of Gen 1), but ngl I would adore the notion that LG!P's protagonist is Red's son while LG!E's protagonist is Green's daughter. While it would be sad to see Mom replaced with Red and Daisy replaced with Green inside the Pallet Town houses, it would also be kinda cool to see if that's how they intended to keep Red and Green around in these games despite them featuring new protagonists alongside the same story as Yellow's.

Man, now I just want these games to take place 10 years after SuMo and some 20-30 years after RGBY. Give us a new story set in the same region featuring the adorable descendants and some delightful cameos from middle-age Brock, mom Misty, adult Lillie, and adult Janine and grandpa Koga.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #94
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"There has been confusion going around regarding Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee's online features with some outlets saying it lacks it, some saying it doesn't and some questioning if it'd use Nintendo's Online Subscription. In light of this, Famitsu has obtained some clarification regarding it stating that it will have online battles and trades, will require a Nintendo Switch Online subscription and lacks features such as GTS, Battle Spot and Wonder Trade. The Pokémon Company states that the online is to be simplified." - Serebii
Old 06-04-2018, 03:18 AM   #95
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Just like the rest of the game then.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #96
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

Gameplay footage.

Spoiler: show
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ... don't like what I see here so far. Not a fan of the Razz Berry misappropriation from Go worming its way in here like this. Not a fan of the big, obvious "CP" on the upper right when capturing a Pokémon. It's clearer than ever before what this game really is: Go 2.0, and not Pokémon 7.5.

"You tucked Kakuna away in the Pokémon Box in your Bag." Umm, what? Soo ... no more Bill? I mean, I guess the in-universe digitization of Pokémon has always been a really weird thing about the franchise, but like ... if you're gonna do away with one mainstay of the franchise's lore (the PC system), you may as well go the full mile and do away with the iconic PokéBalls altogether. After all, what sense does it really make for you to capture your animal friends and transform them into trapped laserbeams when what you could be doing is just letting them happily follow you around? Anyway, never mind that right now. The point is, this is just another Go change that's weird and feels out of place in a game that is meant to be our first Gen 1 re-do since FRLG fifteen years ago (for Japan).

The Pokémon in the tall grass that you can see ... hmm, this is something they need to dial back a bit. It's looking too crowded. There should only be 0-3 creatures visible on screen at any given time, not the 10+ creatures I saw crowding the screen in that one shot of Viridian Forest. But the general idea, the idea of having Pokémon physically visible in the environment, is a nice one and one I hope they can perfect.

Not sure how much of it is the RBY retread, how much of it is my unrelated headache right now, and how much of it is the game legitimately being boring, but -- it was really boring to watch that video. I had to start skipping around after ~5 minutes, and once I started skipping I didn't stay put anywhere I landed for more than 10 seconds at a time. Hopefully it's more fun to play than it is to spectate, but ... yeesh.

There are some things to be enjoyed here. The following Pokémon are of course dear. The female protag is super adorable.

Looking likelier and likelier I'm going to sit this one out entirely. I hope I'm given ample reason not to. I sincerely hope it's a great game and a great remake of the classic that started it all.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #97
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

News on the street is that Mews gated behind a $50 Amii... er, Pokéball+ controller/accessory/whatever-the-heck. Nintendos gouging has only increased this generation! An now GF/TPC has been drug in on it too! Makes we wonder if the Lets Go games will be incomplete at launch ala many other first party Switch games.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #98
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
The point is, this is just another Go change that's weird and feels out of place in a game that is meant to be our first Gen 1 re-do since FRLG fifteen years ago (for Japan).
I feel like this is really the wrong way to look at it, because if you look at LGPE through the lens of "Gen 1 re-do/remake", you're going to be extremely disappointed no matter what. That's just not what this game is or is trying to do, at least in the same vein as something like FRLG or HGSS.

This game's primary goals are to introduce Pokemon on a console/handheld to kids and others who have been introduced to Pokemon through Pokemon Go. It's to cash in one the popularity of Pokemon Go with a spinoff title that has enough similarities to core series Pokemon to potentially hook some of these people into buying Gen 8 in 2019. It's set in Kanto because just as Pokemon Go did before it, it wants to take advantage of all that sweet Gen 1 nostalgia so that people who grew up with RBY and who now have money and a switch or money and a vast enjoyment of Pokemon go will throw that money at Nintendo to buy the game and potentially the console. Any touchups to the Kanto region, such as the thing with the Slowpoke lady and other similar things said to be present throughout, are just fun extras that the people working on the game wanted to put in to flesh out the game and make it more enjoyable for those of us who have been through Kanto before and who are more in it for the Pokemon and less in it for the Pokemon Go. But ultimately, any touchups to the region are just there because it's a Nintendo game, and while its very existence might be just to cash in on a big hit and acquire a new younger audience, the people on the team luckily have enough pride to actual want to make improvements to the region we know and love. These aren't going to be the focus, but it's fortunate that they're there.

If anything, these can be compared to Colosseum and XD since they're taking the classic Pokemon formula and doing something different with it. But like I said before, if you view them as some sort of remake like we've seen before, it's just going to be sad.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #99
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Not a fan. Thoughts below.

Before I start, I am aware that I am not the target audience for this game. It would appear the main audience for these games are fans of Pokemon Go who may not have played a main series title. While I like Pokemon Go, the main series has always had more appeal to me.

Moving on.. I don't even know where to start with this train wreck. 20 years ago we had a mini Pikachu with at least a screen. Then we got the Pokewalker. But this Pokeball is just a $40 Mew. They could have had a great opportunity to do something cool here. Instead it's literally a $40 Mew. Thanks Gamefreak.

Next up is the gameplay. They took the battle part of Pokebattles and now you just throw Pokeballs like in Pokemon Go. Uh.. ok? This is something more for the casual fans, and so I do not like this change. You can battle traineras but the demo showed us... You cannot enter Brocks gym without a water or grass type. The game doesn't let you. It also seems to have forced? Exp share. There arent even held items anymore. Why? At what point does the game just play itself?

One of the biggest complains of SuMo/USM, aside from lack of postgame is how easy it is. The same was true in Oras. Gym leaders had Pokemon removed from their teams and lower levels.

Gamefreak wants to cash in on the Go craze. I get that. But how much overlap is there between casual Go players who also have a Switch?
Hardcore series fans purchased consoles for major titles (Smash, Pokemon), and if you alienate a large playerbase (hardcore fans), youre not gonna get a lot of sales. And yes you are going to have parents and fans that get the console and game no matter what, but Im willing to bet it wont break any records. This looks like such an obvious cash grab, that is spread so thin it won't appeal to anybody.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #100
Emi

There wasn't held items in the original Gen I games so I'm not sure that's a valid complaint to "it plays itself".

Holy actual crap though this looks really dire. Once again I wonder if the only saving grace for the game is the fact that it may have capped EXP until the Elite 4 but I highly doubt it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News