UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #76
Mercutio
Banned

Spoiler tags are generally a good idea for longer posts it must be said. I know I would benefit from people doing it with posts like Talon's. Quite aside from it being polite it really does affect loading times, particularly on mobile devices.

Do agree with much of what Talon says. The whole IM thing is defininitely not something I would implement if I were Nintendo, though. If you want to IM you've plenty of ways to do it, and on many of those mediums there are abuses of it every minute. I'd not touch it with a barge pole if I were making Pokémon battling mechanisms.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #77
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Spoiler tags are generally a good idea for longer posts it must be said. I know I would benefit from people doing it with posts like Talon's. Quite aside from it being polite it really does affect loading times, particularly on mobile devices.
A wall of puretext has nowhere near the impact on a mobile that your avatar has. It's text. It loads instantly. What you should be complaining about are the people who have images in their signatures that are over 1 megabyte in file size. Also -- only really applicable if you have an iPhone -- animated gifs. Because God knows why but they devastate iOS Safari.

Seriously, I could paste dump here the first 10% of War and Peace and it'd load faster on your phone than half of the users' signatures. When it comes to bandwidth, text is dirt cheap.

Here, test it for yourself if you don't believe me: the first eighty pages of Kokoro by Natsume Souseki.

Putting that aside, plentiful spoiler tags are hideous and do more harm than help. I use colored headers on occasion because they serve the same general purpose (helping to attract the eye to topic sentences and visually demarcating the post's sections) while avoiding the garishness of those hideous spoiler tags. There's a reason you'll not often find me using more than one spoiler tag at the root level of a post: because it tends to look awful.

Quote:
Do agree with much of what Talon says. The whole IM thing is defininitely not something I would implement if I were Nintendo, though. If you want to IM you've plenty of ways to do it, and on many of those mediums there are abuses of it every minute. I'd not touch it with a barge pole if I were making Pokémon battling mechanisms.
At the end of the day, they allow us to communicate directly to friends via microphone yet they don't allow us to text them. That's dumb. You've already let the criminal into the child's bedroom (via the mic), so why are you locking the millions of innocent people out of texting? So long as they permit friends to communicate via microphone in Pokémon games, they're guilty of idiotic but well-intended design.

When I see an IRL friend of mine online in Pokémon, I have to take hold of my cell phone and start text messaging him, juggling the phone in one hand and the 2DS in the other, because Nintendo won't let me send him a 140-character message in game. You can say, "Well then! You've found a working solution, haven't you? No need for Nintendo to give you the fix you've asked for, ;P" but that's like saying that I've become expeditious at removing cockroaches from my salad and thus the cockroach-infested kitchen I'm forced to eat at Tuesdays and Thursdays shouldn't have to clean up their act. No. I should not be having to manually remove cockroaches from any food I order. And I should not have to be relying on other networks (cell phone text messaging, Twitter, Facebook, web forums, what have you) to communicate simple, game-related messages to fellow players who are online with me in the game.

How about I put it to you this way -- Imagine if World of Warcraft forced players to communicate the way that Nintendo does. Imagine if it allowed players to communicate directly via microphones and headphones but it had no chatroom to speak of. Imagine if the only text messages that players could flash on screen to one another were limited to 16 characters at a time. "Let's go to Westmarch to farm some drops," you want to tell your friend ... and you end up having to rename some item in your inventory "WESTMARCH DROPS?" to fit a character limit ... and you have to take him out of the universe, into a P2P trading window where all the two of you can see are items in your respective inventories and one item of the other person's at a time ... and then you keep flashing the "WESTMARCH DROPS?" item in his face again and again, hoping he gets it. And then he thinks you want to trade him a sledgehammer (the item you renamed) and offers to give you cotton in exchange for it. It'd be like that. Players resort to communicating via nicknamed Pokémon in XY right now and it's hilariously limited and, if the other player doesn't understand that this is a thing that is done, ineffective.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #78
Mercutio
Banned

I'm afraid you're wrong on loading times, Talon, I often end up with half posts loaded on mobile internet. And to be quite honest hitting Ctrl A, the Quote button in the reply box and replacing QUOTE with SPOILER takes like five seconds of your time. It's just a courtesy. GIFs are the same, as you say, and nested spoilers are indeed awful.

Good point on the Mic. If I were Gamefreak I would kill that aspect lol.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #79
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Doing a lot of activities on Y recently, and one of them has been using the GTS to try and get Pokémon with their Hidden Abilities (HAs). Again and again and again, I will put up a high-grade Pokémon (example: 31/31/31/--/31/31 Larvitar @ four Egg Moves) and what I'll get out the other end is something that matches my request in species only. For example, I've asked for a Flash Fire Cyndaquil and the past five or six Cyndaquils I've gotten off the GTS have all had zero to one 31s, zero egg moves, and most importantly they've had Blaze for their ability.

Which brings us to today's suggestion for Generation 7: GTS overhaul, with the addition of more screening options both when searching for others' deposits and when depositing your own.

Current system lets you stipulate the following:
  • species
  • level range (in groups of 10)
What I would like to see the Gen 7 GTS allow you to stipulate is the following:
  • species
  • level (dynamic range; can be as narrow as one level or as broad as all levels)
  • nature
  • shininess
  • IVs
For the ability selection, I'd like you to be able to check off the check boxes for all that apply to your case. You would only be shown abilities that your species is even capable of having in the first place. So for example, with a Togepi we'd have three options: Hustle, Serene Grace, and Super Luck. If I wanted all but Hustle, I would check Serene Grace and Super Luck while leaving Hustle unchecked. If instead I wanted just Serene Grace, I would only check Serene Grace. It's pretty straightforward.

Natures I could go with a status quo-ey approach where you can only choose one option out of a drop-down menu, but if we're going to do a checkbox system with abilities anyway then I see no reason why we couldn't do that with natures as well. So for example, if I'm only interested in Adamant, Modest, Jolly, or Timid Dittos, then I could select those four natures' check boxes while leaving all the other natures' check boxes blank.

IVs is the one I could see most easily getting left out, but ideally the next GTS will include it. Why? Because it's hard to argue against the reality that more players than ever before are aware of what IVs are. A, it's worth including the option to give players more control over what they can get off the GTS. And B, if you advertise that you're putting a Pokémon with great IVs up for trade on the current GTS, it's too common that immature players will snag it and in exchange give you horse shit. Players should have a reasonable expectation of, "I put in a lot of effort to make this 6V, so I'd like some assurance that if I put it up for trade then I'm going to get a 6V back."

The way I envision the IV system working is that it'd let you stipulate down to the numeral for each category. (So for example, you'd have six drop-down menus, one for each stat, and each drop-down menu would have 33 rows, one for each of the numbers 0 thru 31 and a final row that's just "--" indicating you have no preference. You choose the value you want from each of the six drop-down menus.) But I'd also be willing to settle for the number of "This stat can't be beat!"s you'd get at the IV Rater, a.k.a. 31s the Pokémon has in its IV spread. This would be a single drop-down menu with seven selection choices ranging from 0 to 6.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #80
Heather
Naga's Voice

To a add onto that: Forms, for sure. Right now, if you're into getting a specific pattern of Vivillon, and you put one up for another, you WILL be given the purple pattern one, no matter what. It becomes hard for Gamefreak to do what it was trying to do with Vivillon when one form is deemed to be trash and inevitably becomes the swill that is all you get. Also, right with you on the shininess thing. Cannot tell you how many people I see putting up a Vivillon form that's slightly different than another, but is still not shiny, and claiming that it is, and then asking for something ridiculous in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #81
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Oh hello let's make this relevant again

So, uh... reactions on the new info today?
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #82
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
>humanshape

>female appearance

Humans of pokemon world 500 years ago confirmed to be weaboos.

I'll admit though, Magiana could be a fairly convincing Klink gijinka.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #83
Heather
Naga's Voice

Soooo...apparently Volcanion has a beef with our new Pokemon. This makes me wonder what Gen it's going to fall in.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #84
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
I just feel sorry for Porygon. He's been permanently banished and now they're touting this metal harlot as the Old New Man-Made Pokemon.

I'm already guessing this one's going to be pure Steel, or if twin-typed, Steel/Fairy.

Unruly Premonition.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #85
Heather
Naga's Voice

The Porygon line always has a place in my heart, and if it can't be the first man made mon it is still the first and only digital mon.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #86
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Regarding the news ...

Spoiler: show
It looks like a Klink-ified Diancie. Diancie looks a lot cuter to me, so I'm not really thrilled with Magiana, to be honest.

Also confused and disappointed by the revelation since it either has to be a surprise missing 6th Gen Pokémon or else we really are heading towards Gen 7 without any Z or XY2 in between. Really, really confused since the whole "Zygarde Core," "Zygarde Cell" thing seemed to be obviously setting up for a Pokémon Z. In fact, I'd still say we're getting Pokémon Z. But it seems like a really bad sales move to unveil Gen 7 before you've even officially confirmed Z is a thing. Who's gonna wanna buy Z now that they know it's going to be rendered utterly obsolete in just under a year? Like, we've always known that about last-in-the-generation titles, but not with the degree of certainty that Magiana's reveal gives us. Now it's like a fact: if Z does come out, it's going to be replaced by Gen 7 inside of one year.

The lore is getting too convoluted at this point. Magiana's design is clearly inspired by the PokéBall, and yet Gen 2 taught us that PokéBalls didn't even exist until very recently and that people used to use an apricorn-based predecessor to capture Pokémon. So why would a Pokémon from 500 years ago, and a man-made one at that, have a body that looks shockingly like a PokéBall? You can obviously try to explain it (e.g. "Well, maybe the guy who designed the PokéBall drew his inspiration from Magiana! "), but like I'm saying: the lore's just getting too convoluted at this point.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #87
Emp
Volcano Badge

Magiana can go into the ugly pile along with Chesnaut, Sylveon and half of Gen V's abominations.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #88
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Says the guy who has a couple of those gen V abominations as avvy and sig.

Though I'll agree that Magiana ain't what I'd call cute either. Those eyes stare into your soul.

EDITUM: Oh now hold on a second...

The kingdom's named Azoth. Where have we heard that name before?

...Oh, that's right.

In ORAS, Magma/Aqua Base. A couple of the files.

Unruly Premonition.

Last edited by Raves; 02-10-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #89
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I like Magiana, I think its pretty cute. It is almost definitely a reference to the Pokeball, however, so I wonder how that ties in.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #90
Mercutio
Banned

It's no worse than a lot of Gen V/VI. Presumably it leads to a new game.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #91
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I think she's a cutie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #92
phoopes
Double Dragon

Agreeing with Talon on Magiana being a "Klink-ified Diancie." I don't hate the design, but I don't love it either. It's aight.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #93
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
As for the part about 'How does it look like a Pokeball when it's that old', Kalos is ancient. Bits like the Parfum Palace and the Tower of Mastery are implied to be hundreds, if not thousands of years old. Maybe Kalos had this stuff way before the rest of the Pokemon world, and just didn't share?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #94
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Dewott

Quote:
It's no worse than a lot of Gen I-VI.
Ficksed

I mean, I'm not altogether wild about the design, but it's okay. Curious about the implications. Let's see where this leads.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #95
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Read "Kink-ified Diancie" at first.

...Eau my?

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #96
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morg View Post
Read "Kink-ified Diancie" at first.

...Eau my?
At least you didn't read its name as "Mangina" at first.

...I did.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #97
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Slash I knew there was a reason I liked you.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #98
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhhhh View Post
At least you didn't read its name as "Mangina" at first.

...I did.
I did, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Slash I knew there was a reason I liked you.
Just a reason?
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #99
Miror
Marsh Badge

Just a reminder that Munchlax was announced/revealed before Emerald was, so Magearna could in all reality be a Gen 7 Pokemon and Z could still come out in between.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #100
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
Pokemon Sun and Moon trademarked + logos revealed

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON