Neither.

Spoiler: show

There you go.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #5377
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I think that art is deceiving. Not even the best of traps have a waist that curvy, and the distinct lack of an adonis belt leaves two possibilities-

1. Japanese men are super effeminate (looking at you, Fujiwara no Sai!)
2. That's a woman with a chest bound tighter than a Geodude's submission hold
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #5378
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Neither.

There you go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I think that art is deceiving. Not even the best of traps have a waist that curvy, and the distinct lack of an adonis belt leaves two possibilities-

1. Japanese men are super effeminate (looking at you, Fujiwara no Sai!)
2. That's a woman with a chest bound tighter than a Geodude's submission hold
Visual kei seems to be a whole genre where Japanese men get mistaken for women constantly. I do admit make-up and dresses do wonders, but I have never seen a western drag queen pull those off as well as a Japanese visual kei artist. Examples like this and (my favorite) this? Regular stuff in visual kei.
Yes, both of those are men.
If your mid-section isn't shown, a corset can get you pretty far.

Genshiken (and Nidaime) have shown us plenty of traps with and without their mid-section covered, and dammit do I love them.
But Kousaka needs to stop being so damn perfect, I mean seriously. By the way, when'd he get hired into a H-game company to do trap games? I still prefer Hato to Kousaka, and it might be because of the underdog-setting ("no make-up", KOUSAKA BEING PERFECT EVEN AS A TRAP MUCH?!).

I'm cheering for you Hato you go grab Madarame you can do it

Note that I'm not saying all Japanese men are effeminate, there are incredibly manly men in Japan and blah blah and I'm just giving my two cents.

EDIT: Is there some holiday going on in Japan? I recall some shows didn't get new episodes this or last week (Free! ?) and I may have heard somewhere that Golden Week happened recently.

Last edited by kaisap112; 08-04-2013 at 10:54 AM.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #5379
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Heard Chamber's voice for the first time since Suisei no Gargantia wrapped up. I miss hearing this voice once weekly.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #5380
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Heard Chamber's voice for the first time since Suisei no Gargantia wrapped up. I miss hearing this voice once weekly.
Maybe I'm thinking of another person, but wasn't that VA in WataMote recently?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #5381
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's not the VA, it's the specific performance. (I couldn't even tell it was Sugita Tomokazu when watching. Sounded nothing like any of his previous roles, which was pretty awesome since I love his work but he seems to always do one of like two voices, the most common being his Hideki / Kyon / Gintoki / Yuuichi voice.)
Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #5382
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
It's not the VA, it's the specific performance. (I couldn't even tell it was Sugita Tomokazu when watching. Sounded nothing like any of his previous roles, which was pretty awesome since I love his work but he seems to always do one of like two voices, the most common being his Hideki / Kyon / Gintoki / Yuuichi voice.)
What's the other type of voice, then? I've been listening to one Tomokazu-performance (in a video game) that doesn't sound like any of his other roles to me...or then he just usually never gets to do a chuunibyou-character.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #5383
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This week was an incredible week for anime I'm watching, apparently. Gin no Saji. Hunter x Hunter. And now Servant x Service and Rozen Maiden, the latter of which made me cry. ^^; ;_; Will write about it more in a bit. I've still got a Genshiken thread I owe Kaisa as well as Servant x Service thoughts. Does Miss Yuki want to make a thread for that one? ;o She says she's greatly enjoying it, and with Episode 05 I feel like it finally deserves one myself.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #5384
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

This week has been really meh for me as far as new shows go. Love Lab and Illya were good, but everything else I'm following was really meh this week. Of course I should pick back up on Rozen Maiden. That bit of bad news I was fed sort of killed my enthusiasm, along with a sudden burst of games and stuff.

Grisaia no Kajitsu
First off, I love the loli in this VN. She's a marvelous mix of genius and insanity. She even shows us how "aaahn" scenes are supposed to go. She makes almost every scene better! Of course, I'm a sucker for abstract characters. Ahem! I finished my first route. I enjoyed the route quite a bit, and the emotion behind it was really nice. I actually choked up at the line "Why the long face? We have a surprise for you!" Sadly there was a umm...pretty big part of the route that was really silly, which killed some points for me. The girl's problem, and the solution were well done, the silly part I mentioned was the only real stain for the route.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #5385
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Okay, so I've been meaning to make a post of some of the less discussed animes I've picked up this season.

Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyobi

This one is an example of an anime that starts as utter crap. I won't beat around the bush, the first two-three episodes of this anime are horrendous when it comes to creating character "development" for the main character. The duo featured in every bit of media of this anime is...incredibly predictable to the point where a "reveal" in episode 3 was so bad I almost tore my hair off. My feelings about it are the same as Talon's were with the first case of Dangan Ronpa.

But surprisingly enough, after episode 3 the show's really picked up the pace and gotten super-interesting. It's sad that the first episodes were such garbage in comparison.

Uchouten Kazoku

There's tanuki. There's tengu. There's the most charming female character who utterly steals the show from everyone else - main character included. It's a relatively relaxed show, no holding of breath required, but you do end up wanting to find out more about this female character. It's gotten a couple of laughs from me, hopefully it won't take a total nosedive toward the end.

Blood Lad

It's a shonen show with supernatural creatures, namely vampires, ghosts, werewolves and such. These things kick each other's butts and the MC is an otaku vampire har har. Slightly intriguing with the vampire family drama, but otherwise it's leave-your-brain-at-the-door type of entertainment. And I must mention: no, it is not crap like Twilight.

Fantasista Doll

Shoujo anime + card game + girls running around pretty much naked + Tuxedo Mask rip-off = Fantasista Doll

Episode 4 has gained infamy for being the most misogynist, "say yes to abusive relationships á la Twilight" episodes I have ever witnessed. Seriously, the example that episode sets to girls is horrid. To the point where every sensible parent would sit their child down and remind them that your boyfriend abusing you is not a good thing.

Besides Episode 4, Fantasista Doll is...well, I suppose it's Yu-Gi-Oh! with all the seriousness removed and some Sailor Moon references sprinkled on top.

Oh, and the girls do have jiggle physics. 'Cause why not. 9-year-old females (target demographic) totally want jiggle physics in their magical card girl anime.

The World God Only Knows III

If you liked the previous seasons and OVAs, you'll like this one. It leaves 3-4 conquests on the floor of the editing room and then proceeds to bring the girls into the show as main cast, leading to a ton of confusion if you haven't read the manga, but I got over that weirdness pretty fast. The latest conquest in this season is my absolute favorite - despite people claiming the cut out conquest of this girl was "so good *fangasm*".

Oh, there's also goddesses running around and people getting stabbed, but I personally haven't cared much about that - the conquests have been great all on their own.

---------------

Well that wasn't as many shows as I thought. ^-^;; I've also been enjoying Love Lab a ton, it's a show I look forward to every week.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #5386
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fantasista Doll: I've actually been keeping up with this one. Episode 03 was better than 01 or 02. Episode 04 though was fantastic and was what really gave the show a second shot in my book. Kaisa's views baffle me yet simultaneously do not surprise me in the least. I saw no misogyny whatsoever in this episode. Furthermore, I'd say that Himeji is without a doubt the most interesting of the five dolls of Uzume's and is probably my current favorite. I guess all this really goes to show is "Different strokes for different folks" rings as true as ever.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya: This show continues to be wonderful good fun. Absolutely loved Episode 04. Am considering bumping my ranking of this show up to an "8/10 - Very Good" but for now I'll leave it put at "7/10 - Good". I really don't doubt though that next week's episode will push it over the edge. The show just continues to be this wonderful yet highly bizarre marriage of a stereotypical magical girl anime with Kinoko Nasu's Fate/stay night universe.

Luvia is wonderful. Gorgeous, silly, always good for a smile.

Miyu's flight woes were a wonderful source of comedy and pathos this week. Absolutely loved the (highly predictable ) part where Luvia kicks her out of the helicopter. Was really intrigued by how the writer decided to have Miyu come up with her own "it makes physical sense to me" answer for flight by transforming mana into tangible footholds to push off of. I like how the author is basically saying that Miyu is the better magical girl in some ways (which we've seen plenty of in Episodes 02 and 03) but now Ilya is revealed to be the better magical girl in other ways (like her ability to fly, her never-give-up attitude, and so on). Together the two make a dream team combination that surely Zelretch had hoped Rin and Luvia would prove to be when he granted them the magical girl batons.

Servant x Service: So like I said yesterday, Episode 05 was incredible. Holy shit, this episode single handedly pushed Servant x Service up by a point or two on the 10-point scale. From beginning to end, the episode was just chock full of hilarity, great character development, and tons and tons of surprises. Maybe the earlier episodes were just a case of boring introduction? I dunno. But it feels like the author is starting to flex his muscle now and make solid use of the tools at his disposal.

I would never have guessed that the trio's supervisor had a girlfriend ... and I would never in one million years have guessed that it was Chihaya. What a twist!

I'll admit it -- I was just as trolled by Hasebe's sister as Lucy was when she claimed to be her younger brother. ^^; I was like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? " and had just about the same reaction as Lucy, one of vocal disbelief but a willingness to believe. It didn't occur to me at all in the twenty seconds it could have before he walked in the room that Hasebe had a sister and that this woman was her. I had been convinced that the woman had to have either been a second woman he slept with that night (that scum! ) or else him himself and the show was seriously going in a "lol reverse trap lesbian" direction.

Hasebe's sister is a welcome addition to the cast who seems like she's going to be the source of much entertainment whenever she shows up.

That entire scene in the office's basement with what'shisname, Chihaya, Hasebe, and Lucy was fantastic.

Just a really, really great episode. If Servant x Service had been like this from the start, I'd be convinced it was the comedy anime of the year (Genshiken excepted ). It didn't do that, but if it can at least keep this level of excellence up now that it's finally reached it, we're going to have ourselves a very happy audience.

Genshiken Nidaime: thoughts on Episode 05 being held off 'til I finish the thread.

Rozen Maiden: thoughts on Episode 05 likewise being held off for now, but suffice to say that I am rarin' to rewatch that episode later today.

Last edited by Talon87; 08-06-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: wrote Episode 05 instead of 04 for Prisma Ilya, whoops
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #5387
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Fantasista Doll: I've actually been keeping up with this one. Episode 03 was better than 01 or 02. Episode 04 though was fantastic and was what really gave the show a second shot in my book. Kaisa's views baffle me yet simultaneously do not surprise me in the least. I saw no misogyny whatsoever in this episode. Furthermore, I'd say that Himeji is without a doubt the most interesting of the five dolls of Uzume's and is probably my current favorite. I guess all this really goes to show is "Different strokes for different folks" rings as true as ever.
I admit, I may have gotten confused with episode numbers, but I was talking about the episode where
the Evil Master pretty much blew up his doll himself, yet upon revival the same doll goes all "I'll stay with him, I just know he can't make it without me". When she herself was begging to end the contract with him about two minutes ago! After said Evil Master has spent the past 2-3 episodes going on and on about how little value he places on his dolls (they're just tools to him) and how they're "just data" he doesn't give a crap about.

Maybe it's this new fad in western media of trying to make abusive relationships seem like a cool thing (Twilight, 50Shit Shades of Grey, latest Top 40 music hits, etc etc. ) but this particular Fantasista Doll episode just made me rage. This kind of behavior may be a thing in Japanese culture or a long-lasting tradition or whatever, but I found it disturbing that a shoujo anime promotes the idea that you should stick around an abusive person without complaints because "what will s/he do without me? ".

In case what I'm objecting to doesn't count as misogyny but purely as pro-abuse, I apologize for using the wrong word.

PS. Madeleine is my favorite Doll.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #5388
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fantasista Doll Episode 04 spoilers

I don't think the episode was trying to send girls the message that you should stand by your man even if he's abusive. (Hell, this guy wasn't even "abusive" -- he outright forced his own doll to commit suicide!) I think the point they were trying to make was that the maid's undying loyalty towards her master, even after he'd ordered her to kill herself and even after he'd lost every other doll he owned, opened his eyes and set him back on the right path.

You're 100% correct that if a girl took away from those events the lesson that "if I stand by my abusive man, he'll become good!", then this would be disastrous. But by that same token, it would be disastrous if children took away from Looney Tunes cartoons that you should shove people off cliffs, shoot people in the face with guns, or chop people up into mincemeat. I don't think the Looney Tunes staff were trying to plant bad ideas in children's heads and I also don't think that most children would take away such an absurd lesson from the episode. Likewise, I think 99.99% of little girls watching Fantasista Doll are far too young to process Episode 04 as a pro-abuse story, not even on a subconscious level. I feel like 99.99% of children, male or female, are going to take away from that episode, "Aww, isn't that dear? Her pure heart saved him. Awesome." It may be unrealistic, but it's still the sort of sappy beautiful thing we cheer for. The same with a lot of children's fiction.

Honestly, I didn't see the "pro-abuse message" in that episode until you pointed it out. And I'm a grown man. While it would be really unfortunate if a little girl did get the wrong idea from this episode, I think the vast, vast majority are going to see it the same way I did. I hated the man, and so would they. I liked the maid, and so would they. I was mildly shocked that she decided to stay with him, and so would they be. But I was relieved to see that he was redeemed by her kindness and he seems to be a nice guy again. I didn't think, "Well then! If I find me an abusive man, I'll just stand by his side until he turns nice!" And I don't think most little girls would either.

*shrug* All I know is, Episode 04 remains the series' greatest episode in my book and probably also its only episode that can truly be called "great". If you take that episode away from me, Fantasista Doll is perhaps right back on the crap pile of mediocre Saturday morning kids shows. (Don't get me wrong. I liked 03 and 05 too. But they weren't the sort of episodes that make an adult want to watch the show weekly. Episode 04 was.)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #5389
deoxys
Fog Badge

So be honest with me, do people just legitimately not have any interest in Stella?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #5390
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The premise isn't exactly gripping, although you admit there's more than meets the eye to that. My excuse is...no time. Might as well give it a go soon enough though!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #5391
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
So be honest with me, do people just legitimately not have any interest in Stella?
1. Am looking for excuses to drop shows right now, not add more.
2. Behind even with the shows I am watching because of other activities.
3. The premise of "girls in an airsoft gun club" does not sound like something I'd care for. I'm not a fan of guns.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't check it out. Heck, since you've reminded me, I'll see if I can check out Episode 01 right now.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #5392
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
I'll see if I can check out Episode 01 right now.
BECAUSE TALON

LOVES

GIRLS IN AIRSOFT CLUBS!!!

*shot for Hiimdaisy reference*
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #5393
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I despise cuteness. It seems very K-On-esque, and I Despise K-On. I might check out the first episode but I have other things I would rather watch. Pandora Hearts, Monogatari, Mnemosyne, etc.

Speaking of Monogatari...

Ep. 5 spoilers:
Damn. This episode was unbelievably well executed. Normally the monogatari plot would have me bored as hell, but they actually managed to make the plot for this arc so so interesting. Loved every second of this episode.

Araragi's appearance was possibly one of the most refreshing and best things I've ever seen. They build up all this anticipation about 'Where is Araragi? Oh he's out, I wonder when he'll show up', and when he was revealed today I couldn't be any more pleased with how he was re-introduced. No clue what happened to his jacket, and I really don't care. Maybe what Araragi was doing up until now will come in a future arc (maybe even the next arc ).

Also seeing Hanekawa cry for real is one of the saddest things i've ever seen. ;; A girl thats kept all of her emotions bottled up until now, and then seeing her let it all out. Dayum.

Also I find it funny how the series took its Nisemonogatari attitude towards the end of the episode and trolled the fuck out of the audience, but in a funny way. The black and white hair seemed so cool, guarantee everyone who watched it loved how she looked and wanted to see more of it... NOPE she dyes it black every morning. Fuck you guys!

Looking forward to Kabukimonogatari (god these names )

Last edited by Midgeorge; 08-06-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #5394
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
I despise cuteness. It seems very K-On-esque, and I Despise K-On. I might check out the first episode but I have other things I would rather watch. Pandora Hearts, Monogatari, Mnemosyne, etc.
If you're okay with skipping the first three episodes, I'd suggest perhaps checking out Episode 04 just to see what the show does once it quits being K-On!-esque. I didn't care for it. You might not care for it either or you might love it, I don't know. *shrug*
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #5395
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post

Speaking of Monogatari...

Ep. 5 spoilers:
Damn. This episode was unbelievably well executed. Normally the monogatari plot would have me bored as hell, but they actually managed to make the plot for this arc so so interesting. Loved every second of this episode.

Araragi's appearance was possibly one of the most refreshing and best things I've ever seen. They build up all this anticipation about 'Where is Araragi? Oh he's out, I wonder when he'll show up', and when he was revealed today I couldn't be any more pleased with how he was re-introduced. No clue what happened to his jacket, and I really don't care. Maybe what Araragi was doing up until now will come in a future arc (maybe even the next arc ).

Also seeing Hanekawa cry for real is one of the saddest things i've ever seen. ;; A girl thats kept all of her emotions bottled up until now, and then seeing her let it all out. Dayum.

Also I find it funny how the series took its Nisemonogatari attitude towards the end of the episode and trolled the fuck out of the audience, but in a funny way. The black and white hair seemed so cool, guarantee everyone who watched it loved how she looked and wanted to see more of it... NOPE she dyes it black every morning. Fuck you guys!

Looking forward to Kabukimonogatari (god these names )
I'm not a fan of moeblob either, though I read Talon's ep. 4 spoiler and am slightly intrigued. I've already accumulated quite a few shows on my plate though and have dial-up no computer internet at home so I can only stream sparingly when I'm at the library.

That said, I'm staying at the apartment for a few days(?), so I'm caught up on everything (except Shingeki - honestly forgot about it until now). Just finished Monogatari, and I have to agree, Midge. That was really fantastic.

As you said, the actual monster plots in this series are usually the weakest part of the story, but Kako is the coolest and most creative apparition to make an appearance IMO. Also loved the analogy and acknowledgement that Hanekawa's "inner demons" so to speak are her family.

Of course Araragi has to show up to be the hero with his jacket torn and hair unkempt for seemingly no reason at all other than to look cool. XP Yeah, you just casually swing that big sword over your shoulder, gr... Gosh, even the way he reads a letter leaning with one foot against the door looked sexy. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder... *shot*

Hanekawa getting (inevitably) rejected and crying was pretty heartbreaking, but the patting scene was d'aww. Lol at her high expression though.

The tiger stripes were pretty cool and clever, though I think it would've been pretty silly if she kept it. Dang that's a fast dye though, seriously.

So, uh, is this the end of the second season? Or there's another arc/series called Kabukimonogatari? This seemed like a perfect finale to me for a short season.
lilboocorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #5396
deoxys
Fog Badge

So has anyone here seen Kotonoha no Niwa (The Garden of Words) yet?

Because from what I've seen it's one of the most beautiful pieces of animation I have ever seen. It's a 46 minute OVA I'm going to look into seeing myself at some point.

Trailer

Animation samples:

Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #5397
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I haven't seen it because:

(very minor spoiler revealed by the trailer iirc)

It's about a foot fetishist and I absolutely hate foot fetishism.

I'll agree the animation is great, but you'd literally (not figuratively) have to pay me to watch it.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #5398
deoxys
Fog Badge

Really? O_o It makes sense now that you say it, but I didn't pick up on it really until now despite all of the evidence.

That's... that's a shame. Suddenly I've lost all interest. The animation looks fan-fucking-tastic, why would they throw it away on something with such a narrow audience that would just make a lot of viewers feel uncomfortable?

Oh well, I guess just about anything can tell a story :/
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #5399
Talon87
時の彼方へ

To be clear -- I mean, you saw the same trailer I did, I'm assuming --

He meets this girl while the two are taking shelter from the rain, and while they're doing this he notices that she has such wonderful feet. And things just go from there, with him daydreaming about her feet, drawing them and such, and wanting to create the ultimate shoe to encase them.

He himself is likely into feet (though the trailer doesn't outright portray him as a fetishist or anything; but like, clearly he likes feet if he's making a conscious decision to draw them in his spare time and design shoes for them), but it's more like the animators are foot fetishists. So much of the trailer consists of close-up shots of feet where ordinarily there wouldn't be such shots. So it's like yeah, no thanks, I don't share in your fetish, guys, and I don't want to share in your fetish.

This YouTube commenter sums up my own sentiments best (from back when I first saw the trailer):
Quote:
What I got from the trailer: Incredibly well animated movie about a guy with a foot fetish.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #5400
deoxys
Fog Badge

I guess I just didn't really think anything of it when I was watching, I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I was just like "Wow, so pretty! Wow, so colorful!" despite all of the clues being right there the whole time, and even in the gifs I embedded.

I don't know, I'm like you, that sort of thing just doesn't fly with me I guess. I don't see the, uh, appeal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime