UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #3776
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Karigurishi no Arrietty

Oh god my childhood. ;; Mary Norton's The Borrowers was one of my favorite books when I was younger, so as soon as I found out Miyazaki made a film based on it I had to check it out. If there's ever a story I'm glad to see get the vibrant Studio Ghibli treatment it's this. I've always been fascinated by the concept of "little people", and seeing their world brought to color and life was a joy to behold. Really enjoyed all the attention to detail, right down to how the volume of everyday human actions was raised to indicate how loud they must seem to small person's ear.

Speaking of sound, the musical score was very pretty, incorporating a lot of Celtic themes. I watched it with subs, so it was a little odd to hear the characters familiarly recogized as English speaking Japanese, but it was hardly a huge issue. The fact that the setting was changed to suit a more Japanese locale didn't seem to impose a significant cultural difference either. It focused on remaining faithful to the basic story and characters (introducing original elements only for sake of plot) rather than forced localization, a respect I admired.

As for the actual plot and characters... I felt they were a little cheesy and contrived compared to the darker novel, obviously sanitized for a younger audience. The story progression and character development seemed somewhat unbalanced, almost sloppy by the midway point. Normally I'm not a big fan of Miyazaki's films since IMO they tend to drag on, but this is one case where I feel the movie could've benefited from extra length. A lot of potentially interesting threads were touched on but never expanded. For that matter, several of the characters were underdeveloped - even the main to some degree. Poor Pod suffered the worst. I didn't mind they gave him a more taciturn personality, but for the responsible father figure to be forced offscreen for most of the film was rather disappointing. In fact, where was he when...

Spoiler: show
Homily got captured? Even if he was still in bed healing, surely he'd hear his wife's screams and try to come to her aid, having already proven he could hobble to the kitchen earlier. If he was out with Spiller looking for a new place to live - probably the more likely scenario given Arrietty didn't seek his help - at least explain that to the viewer. Either way, I would've liked to see a touching scene at least involving Pod's concern over his family.

Still, it was satisfying enough for what it was, which is to say an enjoyable and nostalgic kids' film. If you're a fan of fantasy and fairy-type creatures, feel free to check it out.

In other news, finally downloaded KS. Will try to start playing later this week.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #3777
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Is it Miayazaki, or Ghibli? I'm a bit anxious toward downloading subs for this...Disney licensed it, and Disney scares me a lot more than FUNimation. I may be a pirate, but I'd rather not point my sword at an incoming meteor.

How'd you rank it compared with other Miyazaki-Ghibli films?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #3778
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Is it Miayazaki, or Ghibli? I'm a bit anxious toward downloading subs for this...Disney licensed it, and Disney scares me a lot more than FUNimation. I may be a pirate, but I'd rather not point my sword at an incoming meteor.

How'd you rank it compared with other Miyazaki-Ghibli films?
As it turns out, it's actually directed by Miyazaki's protegé. Miyazaki just oversaw the production.

As for comparisons... I wouldn't say it's as epic or high quality as Spirited Away. The only other Miyazaki-Ghibli films I've seen were all either too long ago or I didn't pay much attention to since they were too long (or maybe because they were dubbed). Although I just watched the Nostalgia Critic's review of Ponyo a few days ago, and from what he claimed I'd say Arrietty's more polished. ^^;
Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #3779
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yugioh 5D's
I'm through episode 25 of this. So far, this show has been very entertaining. I've gotten to like Yusei as a main character and how everyone grows close to him. I've also enjoyed the backgrounds of the main characters that have shown up. As far as problems go, I don't really have any that really comes to mind. This show also almost makes me forget how cheap and unbalanced the actual game is.

If I could hold back the rain, would numb the pain?! Because I remember....EEEVERYTHIIIIINNNNNG!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #3780
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ponyo was Miyazaki's ego trip. He only even started the project because someone said he could never make a character as iconic as Totoro (equivalent to someone saying Disney couldn't top Mickey Mouse). For whatever reason, that insulted him, leading to Ponyo's conception in bad blood.

I don't think it's a bad title, but it's way over-rated simply because it's Miyazaki, highlighting a point that, like Pixar, Miyazaki's name has far more credence than the quality of his work. Howl was a bad film, and RT reports it still got 86% approval.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #3781
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I decided to pick up a freshly translated VN called "Kamidori Alchemy Master". I don't know what to expect, but it's nice eyecandy atleast. It has a good score on VNDB, but so did Yu-No and Forest, and they were giant letdowns, so you never know.

Also, since the Yu-Gi-Oh fad has died down, it's time to switch back to Doremi!

Speaking of Yu-Gi-Oh, 5D's spoiler
Why Carly?! WHYYYYYY?!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #3782
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Aw, I meant to ask before the fad died down but kept missing my chance:

BBB, where did that (previous) avatar come from? D=
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #3783
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Earthbound Immortal > Earthbound God

Haven't watched any anime in the past few days. Been per-occupied playing YGO, GemCraft, MTG, BVS and TLK. Not a horrible waste of time, but I need to catch up on titles.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #3784
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

To Corsola:

I found it when searching Bruno images on Pixiv. Here's the original picture. I resized it and flipped it over to make it look like it's looking at my post. Actually, he had some pretty good art, which made him look kinda cool, despite me originally thinking of him as a crybaby pussy. Here's a good example, which I actually bothered to save.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #3785
McSweeney
Soul Badge

For some reason I'm anticipating this year's baseball season so badly that I can hardly stand it anymore. Maybe it's because my beloved Blue Jays actually have a chance to make the playoffs for the first time in nearly 20 years. So what better cure for my ailment than ... One Outs!

Baseball and Akagi, together at last. So far, not bad. I wasn't overly impressed by the first couple episodes. It draws heavy inspiration from Akagi, and Tokuchi is built up as a man not to be trifled with, but it lacks the terrifying intensity of a genuine Fukumoto story. It gets better once he joins the baseball team though, and signs that very interesting contract where he gets 5 million yen for every out, and pays 50 million yen for every run he allows. LOL at the whole rain delay game. It's tremendously satisfying to see how much money Tokuchi can rack up against the owner, who is now forced to root against his own team. Currently, this guy playing in the Japanese league makes more money than Albert Pujols!

I have to ask this: What's up with the suuuuuper gay OP, featuring a shirtless Tokuchi, with his pants unbuttoned AND HIS FLY UNZIPPED?! And they throw in one more shot of a guy's crotch for good measure. It's like they just HAD to one up the 2nd Akagi ED, where he struts down the railroad tracks with his shirt open.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 03-12-2012 at 11:23 AM.
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #3786
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
For some reason I'm anticipating this year's baseball season so badly that I can hardly stand it anymore.
You and me both. I even signed up for a fantasy league!

Quote:
I have to ask this: What's up with the suuuuuper gay OP, featuring a shirtless Tokuchi, with his pants unbuttoned AND HIS FLY UNZIPPED?! And they throw in one more shot of a guy's crotch for good measure. It's like they just HAD to one up the 2nd Akagi ED, where he struts down the railroad tracks with his shirt open.
Madhouse phase, I guess?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #3787
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hey, Mcsweeney ... is this you? Was just reading this by chance and was amused to see someone named "Sweeney" discussing how epic scenes from ROTK were.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #3788
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't think that's his writing style, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I started watching a show called Asatte no Houkou and it's giving me weird dreams, though my utter lethargy isn't exactly conducive to good dreams either. It's an old JC Shaft show featuring staff members of Princess Tutu, with an interesting premise.

But there's so much creepy in it. This middle school guy is wildly attracted to this elementary school girl, who asserts she's an adult. Her older brother is like 20 years older, looks like a creepy pervert and is apparently about to solicit favours out of his old girlfriend, who he abandoned in America.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #3789
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I like the American player in One Outs who always says the first word of his statement in English (which is usually a swear word).

Quote:
You and me both. I even signed up for a fantasy league!
!!!!!!!!!

Quit yours and join mine! Is it on Yahoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Hey, Mcsweeney ... is this you? Was just reading this by chance and was amused to see someone named "Sweeney" discussing how epic scenes from ROTK were.
Nope, but rest assured the genuine Mcsweeney will be talking about how epic some ROTTK scenes were in the thread here at some point.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #3790
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
!!!!!!!!!

Quit yours and join mine! Is it on Yahoo?
Oh, I have to quit?

I'm fine with that I guess...yup, it's Yahoo. Are you holding a draft?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #3791
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Oh man One Outs is an amazing series! I especially like the first half of the story which focuses on the team learning real strategy and overcoming their weaknesses. The second half or so seems to be more about Tokuchi's counter-strategies to gimmicky talents or dirty plays by the opposing teams. Of course, there is no shortage of epic mind games reminiscent of Akagi.

I rewatch One Outs at least once a year because of its epicness. Last year it got me so pumped that I joined a local softball league just to get more baseball action in my life. Fortunately I live in an area inhabited by rabid hordes of baseball fans, so it's not hard to find people who play.

Also I skip the intro every time. It sucks how one of the most epic shows has one of the dumbest intros ever.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #3792
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
It sucks how one of the most epic shows has one of the dumbest intros ever.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #3793
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Sora no Otoshimono movie
This released, so since I've bothered to trudge through two seasons of this, I figured I'd watch the movie. This was alright. Half of the movie was a recap of the first two seasons in another character's perspective. The rest of it was this character wanting to join the main cast in their wacky adventures. I mean, the emotional scenes were okay, and Hiyori was really charming. Of course, it's Sora no Otoshimono, so obviously it's marvelous eyecandy. I dunno, I can't think of any real complaints, but this movie just didn't spark any strong emotions.

The Suite Precure movie has been watched too, I'll post that in the appropriate topic when I feel like it.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #3794
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Quote:
Oh, I have to quit?

I'm fine with that I guess...yup, it's Yahoo. Are you holding a draft?
We are, Sunday March 25 at 8:00 PM Mountain time. It's my brother's league and we've been playing fantasy baseball for 8 years. Are you new, or have you been doing it for a while too? You don't HAVE to quit the league you already joined, but it'd be easier if you only had to manage one team in one league.

League ID: 1423
Password: roids

Quote:
Also I skip the intro every time. It sucks how one of the most epic shows has one of the dumbest intros ever.
I always watch the intro. Can't get enough of that hot bod!

Quote:
When I first downloaded Akagi many years ago, I actually busted out laughing at that very moment, when Akagi slowly turned his head and gave me my first look at that schnoz. I never could have imagined that the show would go on to become my favourite of all time!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #3795
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
We are, Sunday March 25 at 8:00 PM Mountain time. It's my brother's league and we've been playing fantasy baseball for 8 years. Are you new, or have you been doing it for a while too? You don't HAVE to quit the league you already joined, but it'd be easier if you only had to manage one team in one league.

League ID: 1423
Password: roids
Complete newbie, but I've been reading Fangraphs since the Giants won the 2010 World Series, and have had some advice, so I expect to pick up quite well in my first fantasy.

I entered your league, my team is "Tokyo Tentacle Rape".

Here was my draft in the previous league, I've already gotten feedback on how well I did, would appreciate more (12 team league) -

Longoria, Granderson, Greinke, Beltran, Bumgarner, Rivera, Molina, Anibal Sanchez, Derek Holland, Ethier, Romo, Montero, Casilla, Feliz, Ryan Roberts, Daniel Murphy, J.D. Martinez, Scutaro, Ibanez, Huff, Morgan, Thome, Guzman

Quote:
When I first downloaded Akagi many years ago, I actually busted out laughing at that very moment, when Akagi slowly turned his head and gave me my first look at that schnoz. I never could have imagined that the show would go on to become my favourite of all time!
I love Nantokanare too, and was making partial reference to that. I didn't notice at first, but I totally see now how watchers in 2005 might have been put off by it. Seems like an old man's show, and the way Akagi turns, it's almost like his nose is projecting out of your computer screen, so you have to pull your head back to avoid getting an eye poked out!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #3796
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yugioh 5D's
I've finished the Dark Signers arc, so I'm basically at episode 65. The arc started pretty strongly. Carly's a marvelous character and her development with Jack was great. The whole brain controlled zombie guy taking vengeance thing was nice too. Though, towards the end, it started faltering. I ended up getting fed up with Yusei's friendship speeches, because they were freaking mind-numbingly repetitive. Then Crow's new....addition was just downright silly. Also, I laughed at beefy Godwin.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #3797
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Yugioh 5D's
I've finished the Dark Signers arc, so I'm basically at episode 65. The arc started pretty strongly. Carly's a marvelous character and her development with Jack was great. The whole brain controlled zombie guy taking vengeance thing was nice too. Though, towards the end, it started faltering. I ended up getting fed up with Yusei's friendship speeches, because they were freaking mind-numbingly repetitive. Then Crow's new....addition was just downright silly. Also, I laughed at beefy Godwin.
And now you've got filler, then you're at the good part of the series, in most people's(including my) opinion

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Tuner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #3798
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mahou Sensei Negima! has ended.

I'll give it a Flawed Masterpiece rating. Too much was cut out of the end...and from all the stuff Akamatsu said, he didn't run out of ideas. Too bad.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #3799
McSweeney
Soul Badge

What I did today: Re-read Masturbation Master Kurosawa. Yep, it's still awesome. You need to read this if you haven't already, you can polish it off in a few hours! I also finished One Outs. My thoughts enclosed below:

When the owner revealed that he had found a loophole in the contract to make the debt "disappear", I was actually expecting something more sinister than him trying to get Tokuchi injured or suspended. I thought he was going to have him KILLED. I pictured a bunch of black suits kidnapping him, and driving him out to an old abandoned baseball field to do the deed. That's when Tokuchi chuckles and says, "Aha! You fell into my trap! I knew all along that you'd try to kill me, that's why I wore these grenades as a jockstrap!" they try to flee, but none can escape his fastball!

But as it turned out, the owner wasn't EVIL, like the Washizu and Hyoudo I'm used to, just a dick. It's a bit anti climactic how the final battle was against a crappy team that gained respectability through cheating. Reminded me of the movie Rocky Balboa (Rocky VI), which was the finale of the entire series, yet it featured Mason Dixon, the LEAST intimidating villain in the franchise's history. Maybe they made him crappy on purpose, because they wanted an opponent that a 59 year old Rocky could realistically compete against. But Rocky was never realistic in the first place. They threw all that out the window when he defeated Ivan Drago and his 2000 PSI punches. Screw realism, just give Rocky a decent opponent! It's the last movie for gods sake!

Nevertheless, the last few episodes of One Outs ended up being the best. I thought the show did a poor job of building up suspense, as most of the things that happened were very predictable (I knew the drum was the signal even before Tokuchi did!), but these episodes actually did build up some good suspense. It's just unfortunate that the series ended at an unsatisfying point in the story.

So what happens in the manga? Do they end up winning the championship?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 03-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #3800
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Mahou Sensei Negima! has ended.

I'll give it a Flawed Masterpiece rating. Too much was cut out of the end...and from all the stuff Akamatsu said, he didn't run out of ideas. Too bad.
I hold the same View. It was great, but not perfect. Definitely an unfortunately flawed Masterpiece.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime