UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #5051
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You can, but honestly I don't think the time is right. We haven't gained that many new members who have professed an interest in Yu-Gi-Oh!, and judging from the past year and a half I would say that interest amongst the old guard has all but died out. Tdos is gone, I don't want to learn the new cards, I think most people don't want to learn the new cards. The only people who post in this thread with any sort of regularity are you and Doppel. That's a bad sign. You'd want at least one or two other people posting here as frequently as you two do.

When it comes to nerdy competitive games, right now the interest on our forum seems to be in Pokémon, LoL/DOTA, Hearthstone, and Overwatch. There's flickers of interest in Magic, but there are no ways to play Magic online freely, legally, and with all the cards at your instant access that you want to have, something which is majorly discouraging.

Also, with Duelist Network shut down, the only way to play YGO on UPN right now is to download a YGO client. That might prove a surprisingly high barrier of entry as most people do not like to willy nilly install software on their computers; you'd have to really, really like YGO to bother with the installation of YGO Desktop Pro or whatever it's called. I know I for one have no interest in installing it at this point in time.

But hey, don't mind me. I'm just pontificating from my own seat. I could be seeing the world way wrong on this one. If you're eager to try a YGO tournament again, then try one again. "If you build it," they say, "they will come." So long as the interest's there, anyway.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #5052
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I think people would go out to download the server if there was a high enough interest. But as you say, things are rather quiet right now. Compared to the early days of this topic where we had like 15 players.

Moreover, I still played on DN in 2016. My deck hasn't changed significantly from when it went down, the card pool hasn't updated as much as when I went from say Metal Raiders to Return of the Duelist.

I would also like to not have to rely on hard loops with Omega and prefer to run Stardust Dragon safely. Wasn't really the case when DN went down.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #5053
deoxys
Fog Badge

Talon is basically right.

I want to play a TCG again, but I'm already looking into other avenues (Faeria, Duelyst, Armello) to potentially fill that niche. The only thing that would probably get me to come back is a throwback to using old cards, the kind that were used from the beginning up until about 2008 or so.

Last edited by deoxys; 09-05-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #5054
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I've debated retro-format tourneys but honestly I'm not sure I really like them myself. They're difficult to get into online compared to IRL.

I have considered a few things though. We could just do a standard UPN tourney, with 1-3 decks and a proper format, but I wondered about doing something more...interesting. Like a limited pack tourney, where you can only create decks that involve cards from a certain booster pack (Invasion: Vengeance would be the most recent one to do), or even an Attribute tourney (be the best DARK/WATER/LIGHT etc duelist!).

I dunno I'm getting a little tired of typical model.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #5055
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Retro formats don't work because the deck metas are in the historical record. Everyone knows how to optimize decks during LEBWD, Metal Raiders, etc because those decks topped at some point.

The only way to make them work, and something I had hope for in the Magic players, is to mix up two or more non-consecutive sets and create cardpools that never existed in history. Then, the metas would be up for us to discover.

In Magic, it would be like combining Homelands with Tempest. Two sets with nothing in common and no intended synergies.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #5056
Emi

Gofu is going to be the new broken card, mark my words.

Allure is at 3, Ultimaya is stronger than ever because of Crystal Wing, and a ton of decks like the free two tokens. Hell, Gofu has turned Kuraz from a "tech" option into a staple. Kuraz. Popping two tokens and drawing 2 cards is such a ridiculous play.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #5057
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Tokens are broken now?

Please, tell me more.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #5058
Emi

Tokens are just essentially free monsters. While Gofu tokens can't be tributed or used for a Synchro Summon, they can still be used for a wide variety of other purposes. Metalfoes comes to mind; pop a token, set a Spell card essentially for free. Scrap Dragon for a free pop. Kuraz the Light Monarch for a free draw 2.

But its not just tokens: Gofu is also an easy Level 5 tuner to get on the field, and that means easy Ultimaya, which is a borked card.

Speaking of easy level 5s, have you considered running Brilliant Fusion in your deck? It allows you to mill a LIGHT tuner, gives you a Level 5 LIGHT monster and another Normal Summon. All of which sound good for your deck.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #5059
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Talon is basically right.

I want to play a TCG again, but I'm already looking into other avenues (Faeria, Duelyst, Armello) to potentially fill that niche. The only thing that would probably get me to come back is a throwback to using old cards, the kind that were used from the beginning up until about 2008 or so.
Well, I mean, Blue-Eyes and Dark Magician are Meta right now, so take that as you will.

(Also if you're looking for a TCG Vanguard is GOOD SHIT, although as with any analog game you should probably consider which ones are popular near you. Although Vanguard is getting an official online simulator Soon™.)
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #5060
Emi

I running an Ancient Gear deck right now.

The new support is actually cool.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #5061
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Tokens are just essentially free monsters. While Gofu tokens can't be tributed or used for a Synchro Summon, they can still be used for a wide variety of other purposes. Metalfoes comes to mind; pop a token, set a Spell card essentially for free. Scrap Dragon for a free pop. Kuraz the Light Monarch for a free draw 2.

But its not just tokens: Gofu is also an easy Level 5 tuner to get on the field, and that means easy Ultimaya, which is a borked card.

Speaking of easy level 5s, have you considered running Brilliant Fusion in your deck? It allows you to mill a LIGHT tuner, gives you a Level 5 LIGHT monster and another Normal Summon. All of which sound good for your deck.
I had to consider it since the Brilliant Fusion Junk Doppel that topped, by convergent evolution, ended up rather similar to my own deck. I never had much opportunity to test my own build versus that deck, but in the limited interactions my variant was superior.

For the following reasons:

1. Less deck dedication. x3 Brilliants, 1-2 Gem Knights and an Extra Deck slot for what amounts to basically a Foolish Burial. The extra Normal Summon is tempting, but needing a Light for Seraphinite is less useful than in prior Chaos eras.
2. More of a glass cannon - while my deck can't stomach much in the way of disruption now, the greater versatility allows me to survive or come back from disruption a lot more effectively. I also almost always play into fields due to the +1 on the second turn, so I'm used to disruption. Brilliant Junk Doppel outright fails again anything if they can't get their combo off. I only fail like that against the tier one meta, which 99% of decks do, so I'm hardly unique.

In practice, my use of the Shaddolls/Burning Abyss monsters leads to more consistent grave setups and greater disruption and board control. The deck's problems remain in that I have very little in the way of a superboss or themed support.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #5062
Emi

Another Junk Doppel deck topped

Might not be your taste but its always cool to gleam other people's techs and stuffs
Old 09-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #5063
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I had never heard of Cystron Quadum. I don't see much of an improvement over Phonon, though (beyond you can't summon Phonon from the Grave via Soul Charge after Synchro Summoning it).

At first I was like, why x3 Level Eater? But it makes sense now that there's a tuner-centric ladder in the Extra Deck, much like how Fishborg Blaster used to work in the opposite way. In practice for me, x3 Level Eater is way too overkill since the first is easy enough to dump out.

We don't have Card Destruction anymore, but I wish we did. That's a win button when the opponent drops Maxx "C" and I miss it terribly. :X
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #5064
Emi

Card Destruction is fam and I want it back for Dark Worlds.

Just lost a duel against Chaos Dragons because my Chaos Hunter got Solemn Strike'd.

Fuck
Old 09-15-2016, 11:35 PM   #5065
Emi

There's a rumored OCG list going around, which means take it with a grain of salt. I'm not sure if its true, because the list itself seems really bonkers.

Quote:
Forbidden:
Level Eater

Limited:
Cyber-Stein
Magician of Faith
Majespecter Unicorn – Kirin
PSY-Frame Lord Omega

Semi-Limited:
Artifact Moralltach
Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning
D/D Lamia
D/D Swirl Slime
Insight Magician
Inzektor Dragonfly
Mathematician
Star Seraph Sovereignty

El Shaddoll Fusion
Monster Gate
Domain of the True Monarchs

Unlimited:
Qliphort Scout
Sangan
Thousand-Eyes Restrict

Charge of the Light Brigade
Gateway of the Six

Sinister Shadow Games
Wall of Revealing Light
Bonkers.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #5066
Emi

omg its confirmed

wtf
Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #5067
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

All I can say is LOL.

Losing Level Eater is a huge blow, but at least my variant *can* survive without needing to ladder through the Extra Deck. I still have Doppeltokens, I still have Dark Law. That is more than Brilliant Omega could hope for.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #5068
Emi

I'm not really sure what possessed them to make half the changes on that list.

Level Eater, BLS, Gateway, Wall of Revealing Light, Dragonfly....

wtf OCG
Old 09-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #5069
Emi

So I found a list for the locals near my area and...

2016-09-03 Danbury Connecticut (Completed*)
5th: Kozmo FKI
6th: BAPK
7th: Blue Eyes
Top 8: Blue Eyes
Top 8: BAPK
Top 8: Blue Eyes OR BAPK!

ummm
fuck
i need a new side
Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #5070
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I want to test my deck against Blue-Eyes...I miss DN. ;(
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #5071
Emi

What's the plan against them? Dark Law and pray no alternative?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #5072
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I forgot how they play. If you could give me a run down I'd describe my strategy against them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #5073
Emi

It depends, but they are, in a sense, a Rank 8 deck with some Synchro plays.

BE-Alternative Dragon is a 3000 ATK easy SS beatstick with 3000 ATK and spot removal for monsters. White Spirit Dragon has only 2500 ATK but on summon it can target and banish an ST from the field.

Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon has three effects: It doesn't allow you to SS 2 or more monsters at once, it can negate an effect that activates in the Grave once, and it can tribute itself to SS a LIGHT Dragon-type Synchro monster from the Extra Deck. Typically, this is done to SS Azure-Eyes Silver Dragon, which is used to continue to gain advantage and give protection to Dragon-types, making them immune to destruction and targeting for a turn. It also sometimes goes into Stardust Spark Dragon, Michael, or Moonlight as well. Access to the Rank 8 toolbox.

Occasionally you see Cloudcastle for Rank 9. There are some differences in the variants: occasionally you'll see Arkbrave + Goliath, occasionally you'll see Maiden builds, but the most common involves Sage. Typically they main 2 Maxx "C" and 3 Effect Veilers, the latter of which they can easily search out.

Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon + Number 38: Hope Harbinger Dragon Titanic Galaxy + Dragon + Return of the Dragon Lords is probably their strongest field going first.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #5074
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It seems like a pretty typical monster effect stun/special summon spam deck. The method are pretty simple, then:

1. Trap card negation/removal to halt the summons. Doesn't look like this deck packs a lot of floaters, so it's easier to wall that something like, Kozmo
2. Non-targeting removal: Gameciel, Book of Eclipse, and other fun friends

I was ahead of the curve when it came to teching in the kaiju, and it seems using them has become mainstream now. Though, I'd still rather run Radian over Gameciel for the Allure of Darkness synergy, especially now that Allure is unlimited. That makes searching out the offensive cards like Book of Eclipse a lot easier.

IIRC I struggled against Alternative Dragon once upon a time, but that was because there was no good backrow in the TCG. Once the discard ones become legal, that's going to change.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #5075
Emi

Radian also has the issue of being _much_ bigger though, which is probably the only reason I wouldn't run it.

Gameciel is sided so much its like a $5-6 Rare lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment