UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #101
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Saw Sherlock Holmes. It was good, but something bugged me throughout. I wasn't really sure what was bothering me, but something just felt off. It might have had been me being tired or something. Idunno. It's definitely worth watching. Downey Jr. and Law fit their roles quite well and the duo work together well also.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #102
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Saw Sherlock Holmes. It was good, but something bugged me throughout. I wasn't really sure what was bothering me, but something just felt off. It might have had been me being tired or something. Idunno. It's definitely worth watching. Downey Jr. and Law fit their roles quite well and the duo work together well also.
I believe the word you are looking for is 'history'.
There was too much history about Holmes/Watson/Holmes' lady, etc and they just ramble on with it and expect you to be aware of all their history and talents.
It showed a Holmes/Watson at the end of their career instead of the beginning.

If they were gonna reinvent Sherlock Holmes then they could have done something more akin to Batman and take it from the start.

Btw, I don't know why I've been watching older movies more lately, but I watched Philadelphia yesterday and it was hilarious/sad.
Gives you a real perspective on where we've come in this society with the gay marriage, etc.
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #103
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Saw My Name is Khan. Was awesome.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #104
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Just saw Princess and the Frog. I thought it was amazing, though it seemed a bit short to me.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #105
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Saw My Name is Khan. Was awesome.
As did I (provided it was a while ago).

I was the only white person there. It was awesome though.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #106
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

So, was it completely in English in your place?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #107
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

There were subtitles for the Hindi parts.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:31 AM   #108
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

I seeeeee.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #109
Loki

Moon. Good movie. Kinda weird.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #110
Loki

I Love You, Man. Funny movie. Kinda awkward.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #111
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I saw Date Night under the misinterpretation that Steve Carell is playing as a retard. Instead of a revisit to his magnificent performance in Anchorman, I get an absolutely boring and sad excuse for a comedy.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #112
Stlbk
taco...

Rented/watched Precious, as well as Ninja Assassin.

Precious is a great work, and definitely gives you a real look at what thousands of people go through every day. Wonderful acting.

Ninja Assassin is an action-packed bloodfest, and definitely gives you a real look at what Morg's every day looks like. Not the greatest in terms of acting, but the action is badass.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #113
Loki

Saw Bubba Ho-Tep. Oh Bruce Campbell, you and your silly movies.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #114
deoxys
Fog Badge

Anyone see Book of Eli? Looks like Fallout 3 the Movie. Really want to see it.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #115
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Took you this long to see Bubba Ho-Tep? "They dyed me this color!" Nah, I'm teasing, I'd never have seen it were it not for my more open-minded seniors at Caltech during the one and only Men's Night we ever had (in opposition to the females' Girls' Night). After all, who's more manly than Bruce Campbell?

About a week ago, I watched the director's cut of Battle Royale. I was severely underwhelmed. It was pretty retarded compared with older works of fiction dealing with humans killing other humans for the sake of their own survival. And the main actor (the one who plays Shuya) was way better as Yagami Light in Death Note's live-action movie series.

Speaking of Death Note, I've never read the comics or seen the anime, but the live-action movie was excellent. I loved Light's and Light's dad's performances, and I especially loved L's. That kid deserves a Best Supporting Actor award, holy smokes. The way he'd sit on those chairs, hold that teaspoon, pile up those candy cubes ... even I could tell this must have been behavior from the comics he was told to emulate, but it's almost inhumanly possible to maintain that sort of body language throughout a film's chosen takes. And he did it, flawlessly. He became L. Amazing.

Oh, and the live-action movie's ending (imo) is way better than that of either the anime or the manga. Mostly because if you ignore the fact that the third movie exists, you can enjoy the Death Note plot from beginning to end with Light and L duking it out. None of that "the other genius children" subplot-becoming-main-plot nonsense.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #116
Stlbk
taco...

I started with the manga for Death Note and then cautiously transitioned to the anime for fear of it ruining the core of Death Note. Thankfully it was very well done.

I would like to see the live action Death Notes, how many are in total? Does it include Near/Mellow or just Kira/Ryuzaki?
I know they go by other names, just helpful to get my point across while people who haven't read it have no idea what I'm talking about!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #117
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just Kira/Ryuuzaki. Which, even though I've not read the manga (and only know its plot details through Wikipedia), makes the live-action the superior format imo. Maybe it's just the fault of the summaries I read, but Near/Mellow sounds like a jumped-the-shark plot line. It's like the author said, "Whelp, I finished the Kira/Ryuuzaki plot line, but I want to keep making money. Soo................ what if I said that there were others like Ryuuzaki? :3" To me, it's blah. But if you liked that plot line, then you'll be disappointed that the movies don't really delve into it much.

Movie 1 = the first half of the main plot of the films
Movie 2 = the second half of the main plot of the films (with a solid, nothing-left-to-be-desired conclusion)
Movie 3 = an epilogue of sorts which deals a little bit with Near and Mellow but is moreso a made-for-cinema fanfiction that discusses what Ryuuzaki was doing in between Time A and Time B (both times are situated within Film 2).

Last edited by Talon87; 05-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #118
Stlbk
taco...

Sweet, I personally always wanted the original confrontation to be the last of the series. I think it adds to the dimension of the manga and the reality of life, even if that includes Death Gods, etc.

Though personally I wish the one thing the manga/anime/movie showed was the lifespan of the individuals to the viewer.
I always wanted to know what Kira's was originally.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #119
Loki

Saw Iron Man 2. Was pretty good.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #120
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Finally saw Avatar. The overhype had died down by my viewing so I wasn't tainted by pre-grudge, but the visuals did not awe me. It reminded me a lot of Lucas' SW prequels, in that the CGI was boring.

Story was OK, characters were weak, even the ones I liked - the Marine, Augustine and the helicopter pilot.

I didn't really understand the ecology-conservation parallel. Pandora's ecosystem (which sounded a lot like a computer network to me) is the most alien part of the movie, how does that translate to "go green"?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #121
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I haven't seen the film, but I don't think ecological conservatism is concerned so much with the nature of what is being conserved so much as it is concerned with the identity. It matters little to the conservationist whether Pandora is cybernetic or lush and tropical: what matters is whether Pandora is the way she is because of auto-evolution of the planet or because of tinkering by foreign influences.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #122
Loki

If you didn't see it in 3D, it's really a waste. And as I've said, it's basically the movie FernGully with better visuals.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #123
deoxys
Fog Badge

Iron Man 2 was great. Not sure if I liked it better than the first one or not. Stay after the credits if you see it for a teaser.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #124
Loki

I saw the movie Red Cliff, a John Woo take on the climatic battle in The Romance of Three Kingdoms. If I had never read the book, I probably could have had enjoyed it, but with every deviation from the book (and there were a lot), I would shout in my mind "NO! NO!! NO!!! NO!!!!" So many things wrong >.>;;
Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #125
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I saw "HUBBLE 3D" today at the IMAX theater with my dad. Fair warning: the title means what it says, i.e. this is a film almost entirely about the Hubble Space Telescope and not, as I had hoped, about the footage which it has captured. (What little footage which was shown was famous stock footage that the film's CG experts then went to town on to create computer-generated panaromas. Very disappointing, if pretty, imo.) That stated, it wasn't bad. It was fun to watch, sort of. It was like watching a not-my-favorite-episode episode of PBS's NOVA except in 3D.

I got a headache by the end, and the 3D effect was "meh" in many parts. Laughably, the most convincing 3D scene to me was an unimportant one -- they had recorded the people sitting on the bleachers at Cape Canaveral watching the liftoff of the space shuttle Atlantis (or was it Endeavour?) and I felt like, "Wow, it looks like real people on a real bleacher about 20 feet away from me." Most of the stuff in space was killed by peripheral-vision artifacts or by (in my case) double- or sometimes even triple-vision objects. (Like, there were some stars which existed brightly at position B and had dim shadows to the left at position A and to the right at position C, forming the top part of the Olympic rings logo, if you know what I mean.)

Last edited by Talon87; 06-20-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment