UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 06-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Porygon-Z Updated Abilities in FB

So another idea that I had been meaning to hash out for quite some time now is an issue that personally I think should have been done years ago. And that is, Abilities in a roleplay setting. For the most part, abilities have been accounted for by the updater’s discretion, and on top of that the vast majority of abilities are pretty straightforward and don’t need to be explained. But I feel that there are a few abilities that were designed specifically to work in a video game universe and have little to do with anything in a roleplay setting. To account for that factor, I’d like to go through a few abilities and propose altered/updated effects that would make them more viable in FB. Feel free to critique or even draft up ones I didn’t touch on that you feel could use a change.
Anticipation: The user gains a slight boost in evasion when the opponent uses a super-effective move.
Emergency Exit/Wimp Out: When the user falls below 50% health, they switch out with another Pokemon. If they are in a situation where returning to a Pokeball isn’t possible, the Pokemon will only take evasive actions.
Forewarn: Once per battle, when the opponent uses a powerful move (80 BP or higher), the user will get a free opportunity to predict and evade the attack.
Gale Wings: When the user is above 50% health, speed is increased when using Flying-type moves.
Harvest: User uses photosynthesis to accelerate growth to held berries and replenish their stock. This method cannot be used to duplicate berries as only the one that is equipped to the user will sustain its freshness. After a few minutes, unequipped berries will wither. User’s equipped berry will always replenish at the end of a battle.
Illuminate: Can be used as an alternative to Flash, without the accuracy-dropping effects. The user also gains the ability to attract encounters with Bug and Water type Pokemon.
Illusion: When the user is sent out into battle, select another Pokemon from the user’s team (must be on the user’s 6 carried Pokemon) to take their appearance. The updater must roleplay as if the user is the Pokemon it has taken form of until the illusion has been dissipated.
Pickup: Items that have been dropped (Fling, Knock Off, etc) can be easily recovered in battle and used with significantly less lag than normal. Outside of battle, the user is able to locate items related to in-adventure quests easier, as long as it knows what it is looking for.
Run Away: When the user drops below 50% health, evasion and speed are increased by one stage. If the user is trying to escape from a foe, retreat will always succeed.
Sand Rush: The user moves faster in sandy terrain in addition to during Sandstorm weather.
Slush Rush: The user moves faster in snowy terrain in addition to during Hailing weather.
Stall: The user waits for the opponent to make their move first before countering with their own attacks. This can lead to increased accuracy and strength in certain situations.
Sturdy: When the user runs out of health, there is a slight chance it will hang on with 1 HP.
Swift Swim: The user moves faster underwater in addition to during Rainy weather.
Truant: The user becomes slothful and will always rest in-between attacks, leaving it prone.
Wonder Guard: User is immune to non-super effective attacks. Due to the sheer brittleness of Shedinja’s health, Wonder Guard also acts like a one-use Focus Sash per battle to prolong its durability.
Zen Mode: Allows Darmanitan to change forms when it falls below 50% health. If Darmanitan is healed above 50% health the user can choose if it wants to remain in Zen Mode or revert to standard form.
Some abilities like Sturdy and Gale Wings require the pokemon to be at 100% health to work, which just isn’t viable in a roleplay setting so their range has become extended. Additionally, Wonder Guard has been buffed because expecting Shedinja to only take 1 hit before fainting is just not reasonable for a battle in FB, especially when pokemon have unlimited movesets. I’m tempted to prolong its use even further because lasting only 2 hits still seems too flimsy. Like I said before, most abilities are pretty self-explanatory as are the number of uses they could have outside of battle (like using a Pokemon with Static to power a generator, using a pokemon with Pickpocket to steal something, or using a pokemon with Flame Body to keep you warm in the snowy mountains), but if you feel that there is something worth mentioning/discussing and adding to the list, please bring it up.

Last edited by Sandaa; 06-29-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Sandaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
For Zen Mode, could it be shifted so that if someone wanted to, they could have Zen Darmanitan as their base form without battle? Because as it stands, it reads a lot like 'If you want Zen Darmanitan then you have to get Darm, go into a battle, get below half and then heal and choose to leave it in zen form' and that can go find a hole and die in it.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
So first off, my own opinion is that while we don’t have to set any hard rules in place on how Abilities work in FB, I do like the idea of having set some examples in place on HOW they could be used. I’m actually quite interested in knowing how others would use some of these abilities in their adventures and I’d like to think that having some understanding on how they could be used might help spark some creative ideas for use in adventures. I don’t think we necessarily have to agree on how we would each use them in adventures but it might help to have this thread as a reference for eg.

I like most of the ideas posted, so if an ability isn’t mentioned below, assume I’m in agreement on how I would use them. Even if I do still mention them below, I’m mostly giving my thoughts on how I would (or have) used them. Others are just additions or explanation for flavour.

My own ideas/how I’d use some abilities:
  • Anger Point: Easier to be angered. Might go into a frenzy but with increased (or maxed) attack. (Because I don’t think we always think to include critical hit chance anyway. Or at least I’m prone to forgetting to include it.)
  • Competitive/Defiant: The Pokémon might also truly be competitive/defiant
  • Forewarn/Anticipation: Hmmm, I sometimes give the opponents in adventures TM or MT moves that the player won’t know about until they’re used. If I’m aware of a Pokémon having Forewarn or Anticipation, I’d allow them to deduct one strong (MT or TM) move the opponent has and possibly give them a slight boost on evading that attack. Otherwise, perhaps just an added bonus to evasion.
  • Gale Wings: First move in battle has an advantage and boosted power. More so if it’s a Flying-type move.
  • Heavy/Light Metal: Pokémon is generally considered to be heavier/lighter than usual. Allow the player to come up with creative ideas for use outside of battle (or in).
  • Illusion: Within certain – as of yet unspecified limits – I’d allow a player to also use the ability outside of combat in some creative way.
  • Imposter: Not sure, but maybe I’d let a player come up with creative – as of yet unspecified limits on – uses of Transform for outside of battle.
  • Pick Up: Agreed mostly with Sandaa’s idea. I might allow the Pokémon to easier identify environmental objects/weapons and use them. Like a chair. At a wrestling match. I would probably also use it as flavour text for a player finding an item (reward).
  • Pressure: Opponent is forced to spend more energy in battle than usual. The opponent can only use certain – as of yet unspecified – powerful moves once on the Pokémon.
  • Run Away: Pokémon can easier escape from conflict or tense situations, not just battle. Allow the player to come up with creative ideas for use outside of battle (or in).
  • Sand Rush, Slush Rush, Swift Swim: Outside of battle they just move quicker through sand and icy terrain. Allow the player a bit of creativity with this.
  • Shadow Tag: I might decide to take this literally and state that others can’t move, run away or retreat if the Pokémon is stepping on their shadow, inside a battle or out. Flipside of this is that the Pokémon has to ensure they stay on the shadow of course. Moving will grant the opponent a chance to move.
  • Stench: Pokémon generally reeks. Allow the player to come up with creative ideas for use outside of battle (or in).
  • Sturdy: Tenacious. Pokémon might stay in battle a round more or so.
  • Truant: Haha, used this one before. Pokémon is easily disinterested in battle unless it’s a challenge or a threat. Can order less moves in a single round, due to mentioned slothfulness.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Heather
Naga's Voice

An idea I had in one of my own adventures (before realizing i’d Given my Chatot Big Pecks) would be:

Keen Eye: Ability holder can better keep its focus on the opponent, making it harder for the opponent to get out of sight for sneak attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development