UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #1
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Miscellaneous Adventures

Well, we have a Nuzlocke thread, which also carries other relatedlockes in it as well, and I believe we have a monotype thread buried somewhere, but what about other adventures?

I give you all the Miscellaneous Adventures thread! This can be used for any playthrough or challenge you'd like. Playing through Red for nostalgia? You can recap it here. Playing Emerald and want to write a bit of a first-person perspective, maybe not quite a full fic, but in-character? Go ahead. Gift-only challenges, no-Center challenges, or just something made up entirely? It's all welcome and encouraged. Who knows, we might just be able to make something really fun together.

This is also a thread where people can exchange ideas and get input. Want to do a preset team of only six you can use in the playthrough as your challenge, but want it to be quirky and not stale? You can ask UPNers, and they can tell you "use X" or something of the like. Want a random egg run? You can ask folks to donate eggs for the cause. There are no rules and the points don't matter.

So toggle that ON button and let's have some fun.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I enjoyed taking the Pokedex Challenge, where you try to fill out the Pokedex while progressing through the game. It's fiendishly difficult to do, especially considering some of the later-level evolution chains, but the idea is that you should have as much of the Pokedex completed as possible before challenging the Elite Four. Obviously you remove stuff that's version-exclusive or unavailable before you begin.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
Slash
Silver LO

So, to start, I decided to come up with a new challenge. The rules are as follows:

- No buying healing items.
- You may buy 1 Ball every time you beat a Gym Leader, but may not buy any otherwise, subsisting only on what you can find or are given (a spare stock of Balls may be kept for Shiny purposes but may not be used otherwise).
- A Pokemon may not be ordered any move unless it is A) a STAB move (including same-type status moves), or B) a Normal-typed move (moves like Natural Gift and Hidden Power do not count and are illegal, with the addendum that any Pokemon learning Hidden Power by level is allowed it, however moves like Me First and Assist are Normal and are in the Status category). Essentially, no off-type, including off-type status. EDIT: Normalise and the related abilities, such as Refrigerate and Pixilate allow use of foe-targeting moves that are affected by them.
- After Gym 3 is beaten, this extends to all damaging Normal moves as well, for all non-Normals. Normal Status moves are still allowable for all.

I've not decided whether or not to play with faint = death, and it's not come up yet.

I'm playing this on Y, and my idea was that I'd decide on an MVP after I beat the Champion, and the MVP will earn a spot on my ASB squad.

I started off as Serena, as I've never used her before. After being disappointed at the lack of ginger option for her, I chose sandy-haired Serena. I named her Robin as I tend to default to that name. Beginning story elements are always the same, so no real need to cover that.

I assigned the starters numbers from right to left, and asked Skype TO for two numbers 1-3. 2 and 1 were chosen, leaving me with Chespin. Happy day, as he's my favourite starter. Like, not just favourite in Kalos, but overall.

I struggled with a nickname. I feel I don't nickname in-game enough. I tried Nutsy, as he's a nut, and as an FFTA reference, but the game said I couldn't do that. Weird, but I get it. Then I tried Spiky, because, well, he's Spiky and his line's signature move is Spiky Shield. This was also rejected. Best I can tell is they censor "spik" for being a slur (although it's spelled wrong). So, for the lulz, I tried Racist, figuring if they disallowed those others, they'd probably reject it, too. The game let it through. So now I had Racist the Chespin.

I caught a few more Pokemon, most notably Talonflame87 the Fletchling and Nala the Litleo.

Racist learned Rollout! Didn't let him learn Bite. And then when time came to learn Leech Seed, I overwrote the unused Rollout for it.

Nala had some trouble with the Santalune Gym's first Gym Trainer, with a Ledyba. Confusion and Rivalry working against you is never fun. However, She swept the rest of the gym, including Viola, handily. Being one of the few who will be able to use both Normal and another type later in the run, I think she'll be a great member of the team.

Not much else to report. Got Exp Share, caught a couple Pokemon. I kinda want to have my entire team rotating. Probably won't happen.

Team:
Bloo: Panpour Lv 9 (M)
Nala: Litleo Lv 17 (F)
Racist: Quilladin Lv 16 (M)
Talonflame87: Fletchling Lv 16 (M)
Zippy: Zigzagoon Lv 10 (M)
Joshua: Ralts Lv 1 (M)

Box:
Derpface: Bunnelby Lv 3 (F)

Badges: 1
Seen: 34 - Obtained: 8
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Last edited by Slash; 09-03-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

So as some of you may know from Skype and the whatgigs I have a White 2 Challenge mode run going. I was playing a regular game but my honor states that:
  • I can only use Pokeballs to catch Pokemon
  • No using items in battle
  • No going to the Pokemon Center halfway through a gym
  • No legends
  • Nickname everything
It seems pretty silly but I always feel guilty doing any of the above so I don't do them. Fainting is fine and if I were playing faint = death I'd have died by the first gym.
As of now, the team is
  • (Demon Lord) Ghirahim: Level 29 Servine
  • Thomas: Level 31 Scolipede
  • Buzzer: Level 31 Magneton
  • Deebscino: Level 31 Minccino(Skill Link)
  • Aflac: Level 25 Ducklett
I'm just past Elesa and I was training Aflac in the Sports Domes. The Elea battle was hard. I opened with Buzzer against Emolga, doing a bit of damage and paralyzing it before she switched out to Zebstrika. Knowing from less pretty past experiences I immediately switched out to Thomas, who could easy tank it. I used Bug Bite to steal its Sitrus Berry, then I got a Poison Tail poison while Elesa was playing with Pursuit. With lower health, I switched out to Ghirahim onto a Flame Charge, dealing some pretty good damage this time. She then used Pursuit again(idk) and I got a Mega Drain off, and the Poison knocked out Zebstrika without triggering Hyper Potion. Emolga came back out, so I switched in Buzzer to tank Emolga again, triggering Sitrus Berry before she switched out to Flaaffy. She got paralysis off but as Buzzer was getting low she crit with Volt Switch, KOing Buzzer from like 20 HP. Wat. Going back to Emolga, I sent out Deebsccino, who got his five Tail Slaps in to KO Emolga. Flaaffy came back out and I missed Tail Slap, and she one-shot Deebsccino with Volt Switch, sending out her Joltik. Thomas came back out, but he instantly volt switched on Thomas doing a surprisingly good amount of damage as Bug Bite hit Flaaffy instead, triggering Hyper Potion. I switched out to Ghirahim, setting up Leech Seed and getting a Mega Drain up to full health, but I got paralyzed. She then Volt Switched to Joltik, and Ghirahim used a Leaf Tornado, lowering its accuracy. Hoping that Ghirahim could take the next attack, I tried to set up seeds, but got crit KOed by X-scissor, leaving me with just Thomas. She tries another X-scissor, and I get a Bug Bite off, leaving it with low healthh. Then a Volt Switch came, but missed and Thomas got the KO with Bug Bite. I then Bug Bit Flaaffy to death, barely survivng a Volt Switch on the last turn, leaving Thomas with a crucial 4 HP.

Not much else to say here, thanks for reading. I might play some tonight and see how that goes.
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Slash
Silver LO

So, I've decided that fainted = dead = boxed, but I can use Revives, Max Revives, and Rare Candies to, well, revive them. If I use of of the former two after the Pokemon has already been boxed and is therefore healed, I add it back to my team and out of the dead box, and just toss the Revive or Max Revive. If I use the Rare Candy, I just use it and poof.

Since I can't buy healing items, this severely limits my revival methods but isn't quite as harsh a permadeath as Nuzlocke carries.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Red Panda
head head bitch

After seeing Connor and Blaze talk about their Randomizer shenanigans, I had to give it a go. I downloaded the randomizer and applied the changes, then ran the ROM for Platinum.

Spoiler: show
Things start out slow, as Platinum does take quite a bit to really get moving. I went as the girl, since DPPt is the only game where I will choose the girl 100% of the time, as I really don't like Lucas at all. I gave myself the name of Reyna, as that's basically the go-to girl name for me.

My options for starters were a Ghost-type Beldum (which I later found to only know Shadow Force), a Grass-type Igglybuff, and a Poison/Psychic Spheal. I did not know these types at the time though. I immediately chose the Spheal, as it was obviously the best of the three. I chose to name it Kush. I was overjoyed when I took a look at its starting stuff, as it was pretty stacked. Poison Jab, Psycho Cut, Heal Block, Psycho Boost, with Adamant nature. My rival, of course, went with Beldum. I began with Poison Jab, which did a pitiful amount of damage but managed to score the poison. He vanished, and I began to fear for my life. This was nuzlocke, and I didn't think I would survive a Shadow Force. But I did! With a meager 2 HP left. Stats are also shuffled, so it seems that Beldum had its attack stat moved elsewhere. I then got the KO with Psycho Boost (or rather, the poison did).

My first encounter was a Level 2 Bidoof of all things. I was enraged, because my encounters before that (when I didn't have pokeballs) were Wynaut and Surskit. I caught it anyways. It was pure electric, only knowing Thunder Fang. His name was Munchkin. I then went to the Lake Verity shore and encountered the first godly pokemon I would find in this run: a Steel/Dragon Marill with Arena Trap. I instantly caught it, and dubbed the beast Blaze, because Blaze had a Steel/Dragon Steelix in ASB. Blaze knew Iron Head and Dragon Claw, so I was very happy. I grinded for a few minutes to get them all to level 6, then carried on.

My encounter in the route after Sandgem Town was a Normal typed Taillow (or at least part normal). It knew Giga Impact and Recover. Sadly, Blaze critted with Dragon Claw and KO'd it. Probably for the better. Moving on to Jubilife, where I had a very nasty scare. I knew from watching Lucas try (and fail) to capture the Bidoof that Chimchar was pure fire and started out with Eruption and Lava Plume, so when I saw one of the trainers in the Trainer School send out a Chimchar, I freaked out. Big time. Munchkin only survived with 3 HP after an Eruption, but managed to deal a bit of damage with Thunder Fang. I then sent in Blaze, who shared a similar fate. Kush was my only hope. And he tanked the attacks like a boss, netting the KO with a Psycho Boost.

North of Jubilife I encountered my second godly pokemon - a female Nidoran. I used Thunder Fang, only to find that her ability was Wonder Guard. And it was bug typed. I did not have any rock or fire or flying moves, so I just threw out a pokeball in attempt to catch it. And I did! I caught her, and named her Piggy. Her starting moves were Megahorn and Fury Cutter, and she had a Naughty nature. In the cave to Floaroma, I found a Psyduck. "Oh, this will be easy." I thought, sending in Piggy, as chances were that Psyduck did not have anything SE. I was wrong. Boy, I was really wrong. Psyduck outsped with Eruption, making me nearly cry as I watched Piggy's health drop like a fly. BUT SHE SURVIVED. SHE SURVIVED A BASE 225 SE ATTACK. I quickly switched out to Blaze, not wanting my MVP to be slaughtered, only to have Blaze be KO'd by a Fire Blast (RIP). He was the first of the fallen. I did manage to catch the Psyduck, though. I named her Yuki. I quickly retreated to the pokecenter and deposited Blaze, sad that I lost such a great pokemon. I then went and initiated the fight with my rival. He led with a Skitty, I with Piggy. AND YOU KNOW WHAT? SKITTY USED BLAST BURN. BLAST. BURN. AND PIGGY SURVIVED. AGAIN. I switched out to Yuki and had a fire-off, netting the KO with a Flamethrower. Piggy came back out, low health and all, to take on the Shadow Forcing Beldum, chipping away at its health with Megahorns of doom. After defeating my rival, I encountered a Slakoth, still normal typed, with Slack Off and Dizzy Punch. It's stats were shuffled so that it was a Special Attacking MONSTER. I named him Kusari. Well, Kusari died one battle later, to a Starly that knew Close Combat. RIP. And not one battle after that, Munchkin shared the same fate, but this time to a Bronzor with Earthquake. RIP. I powered through to Oreburgh, finding a female Zubat in the cave (seriously, randomizer?) that Kush OHKO'd with Poison Jab. In the route above Oreburgh, I found ANOTHER female Zubat, which shared that same exact fate as the previous one, but this time dying to a flamethrower. And immediately afterwards I found a Misdreavus. Like, seriously. And in the oreburgh mines I found - guess what - ANOTHER FEMALE ZUBAT. DEAD. AGAIN. TO PIN MISSILE. GET OFF MY TRAIL YOU FILTHY WHORE OF A BAT. And right afterwards I found a Shellos, Chatot, and Cacnea! *cries*

With only 3 squad members remaining, I stormed the Oreburgh gym, nearly losing Kush to some rock slide hax from the Rock/Poison Prinplup, but a clutch Heal Block, Psycho Boost, Psycho Cut combo gave us the victory.

THE TEAM:

Kush Level 12 Adamant Male Spheal.
Poison/Psychic
Black Sludge
-Psycho Cut
-Poison Jab
-Heal Block
-Psycho Boost

Yuki Level 12 Naive Female Psyduck
Fire
No Held Item
-Flamethrower
-Eruption
-Fire Blast
-Flame Wheel

Piggy Level 12 Naughty Female Nidoran
Wonder Guard
Focus Band
-Megahorn
-Drain Punch
-Bug Bite
-Pin Missile

THE FALLEN:

Munchkin Level 9 Male Bidoof

Kusari Level 6 Male Slakoth

Blaze Level 9 Male Marill

Stay tuned for more of Red's Wild Randomizer!

Last edited by Red Panda; 09-05-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON