UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #51
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Replay factor is based on how you can have a different experience each time you play. If what Concept (and many critics) say is true about 20+ hours on linear hallwalking, I don't think FF13 has replay value.

According to what I've read about Lightning Returns, you are given a limited number of days and thus have limited amount of time to do quests. Because of this, you have to make a choice as to which quests you will do and certain quests will alter the possible endings. Some may extend the time you have, some may reduce the time you have.

That is replayability.

Also, you can't think of Final Fantasy as a static game. "FF1-12 didn't have player's choice, we don't need it for the future," is not going to fly. Games need to evolve to keep up with the industry, competition, and player's evolving taste.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #52
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
So, I just saw this video with some of the summons from FFVII and their counterparts in Crisis Core. Just goes to show how far some of them have gone.

BORKED
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #53
Emi

Holy thread reviving double posting Batman!

So I just played the demo to Lightning Returns, and here are my thoughts on it.

-Holy crap this storyline. XIII-2's story for the most part wasn't as bad, it actually seemed climatic at parts and lost at others. But this is just...silly. So much silly. I found myself laughing out loud because so far, the characters seem unbelievable and its so bad. ;-; Lumina gets props though for actually holding my interest...but I have my own qualms about her.
-So much edge. Literally, its like they went into a discussion room and said, "How should we make our characters seem more dramatic? DRESS THEM ALL IN BLACK!" Lumina I'm sure was created for the sole purpose of justifying Serah in a sexy, black outfit. You could have done...anything else, hell, you did for Yeul.
-NEW ENEMIES. LIKE, EGYPTIAN ENEMIES. AND UMM. UMM DRAGONS. FUCK YEAH WE ACTUALLY HAVE DRAGONS. UMM UMM CYCLOPS. Other than the dragons, not terribly impressed. I mean I don't like all the character designs from either game (anything Wyvern or Amphibaena looks terrible, and the cybernetic shit for any monster group looks even worse), but I'm not impressed with most of this and some of them look terribly awkward and ugly. BUT EGYPT THO.
-The battle system somehow managed to be more fast-paced. Lightning gets like 10 or so attacks often before the enemy even moves, not helping that she has essentially three ATB gauges. This battle system seems hilariously broken.
-BUT DRESS UP THOUGH. I do actually like a couple of the outfits(no lie, I chose the Dragoon outfit just because it looked cool. I suspect that will be my strategy throughout the game.)
-MORE TIMERS. MORE QUICK TIME. MORE "I'M NOT SURE I WANT TO PLAY BECAUSE OF THAT."
-CHAOS EVERYWHERE. CHAOS STUFF HERE. CHAOS STUFF THERE. MORE CHAOS THAN SONIC.
-On a side note, the new recovery item stuff looks seriously interesting. Hopefully we get some really good effects from them.

I'll probably get it when the price drops. I can't justify $60.00 right now just to laugh at the story and battle.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #54
Roglef
Thunder Badge

I actually find the game to be rather fantastic. I've beaten it one time, and with new game plus as well as hard mode after the first play through, the game has a ton of replay value. I also enjoy the time management aspect. It feels like pikmin in this aspect, forcing you to find efficient ways to travel the world in the days you have before the game ends.

One feature that I enjoy is the "last one" feature, actually showing you to make must monsters in the game extinct if you kill enough of them as well as a boss version.

Roglef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #55
Emi

So to divert the topic away from the TO for the time being:

In FFVI, what are your favorite characters to use?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Who do I usually use in FF6: Terra, Locke, Celes, [fourth character] because story fan. I see Terra (especially in the first half) and Celes (especially in the second half) as the closest things this game has to a main character. I ship Celes x Locke. Locke's also useful to have around as a thief anyway because OCD about missing stealable items from one-time battles, but he's mostly there because of how he's Terra's oldest recruit and his interactions with Celes.

Who do I find most fun to use in FF6: Sabin is either fun or else incredibly NOT fun depending on how well he interacts with your controller. If you're playing on an authentic SNES? Super fun. If you're playing a rom on the computer with a QWERTY keyboard? Significantly less fun. When I played FF6, it was with an XBox controller; consequently, Sabin was not very fun for me most of the time because the game hated both the XBox controller's D-pad and its analog stick.

Shadow is probably my least fun-to-use character because I'm a hoarder and a pragmatist -- so either I want to keep weapons forever or else I want to sell them for gold. Chucking them at enemies only to never see them again is the last thing I want to do. He's a cool character story-wise, but gameplay-wise he's not for me.

It was pretty common for me to run Edgar in the fourth slot as I enjoyed his story and his unique tool-based attacks. I also liked Cyan.

I tend to be a "boring" JRPG player in that I don't fancy the Gaus and the Gogos and the Mogs but instead tend to prefer the straight-forward, no-nonsense damage dealers like a Celes or a Cyan. So for me, a character is most fun when they consistently deal good damage (or otherwise do consistently helpful things like healing/buffing well), when they're not overly difficult to use, and when there's some sense of accomplishment in using them.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #57
Heather
Naga's Voice

Mah favorites:
Shadow(nothing more humorous than chucking Bastard Swords at people en masse)
Edgar(GIGA DRILL BREAKER WOOOOO)
Sabin (BLITZKREIG YEEEEEEEEE)
Cyan (LolBushido)
Relm (yeah let me just paint up a MAGITEK and use it's FREAKING LASER BEAMS)
Gau (OHKOing a corporal with a rock is almost as good as chucking Bastard Swords. If only said Rock hit more often, but then it would be OP.)
Terra in last because magic without complicated magicite is good.

Who I actually use:
Terra (I do need my Cure magic)
Edgar(Again, Giga Drill Breaker)
Sabin (My fists will rage on your everything!)
Cyan (Serving up a hot plate of Bushido 24/7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #58
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I like Edgar's Tools and Sabin's Blitzes most. (In the final battle my strategy was to just spam Mantra and Mimic it with Gogo.) Stealing with Locke is also fun. (I want to like Relm because yay art but I don't actually use her ability that much.)

As an aside, seeing heavy promotion for an FF rhythm game at CC no one wanted to play makes me think they're running out of ideas... XP
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #59
Emi

My team was usually always the following:

Locke: Locke is good for me because I'm the type of person who doesn't like to buy Potions or Ethers in an attempt to save money for weapons and armor. So having Mug with Improved Steal is always a pretty neat thing. He also was, iirc, a pretty speedy character so he made a nice healer. His ability to fight from the backrow was also cool.

Celes: Her natural spellcasting abilities, at least in my mind, are better than Terras, and she has one of the best abilities in the game: Runic. Runic is literally a life-saver and a pretty borked ability. Having a natural spellcaster also means less time needed for Esper grinding.

Edgar: Tools always maintain their nice touch, being MP-less ways to deal quite a bit of damage, especially since some of them completely ignore defense or can insta-kill enemies.

Shadow: I've always been a fan of Shadow, as he's pretty incredible in the early game. He can give himself the Image buff, which is superb; use Shuriken as a very cheap way to inflict a lot of damage; and has Interceptor, who can be pretty clutch. He also doesn't need Elemental spells right away thanks to the scrolls, which means you can focus more on other magics.

Sabin is usually number 5 and I fluctuate between him and Shadow. Blitz is awesome and I've really gotten the hang of getting the timing down on the keyboard.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #60
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Hmmm...

Edgar, Sabin, Cyan (yeah I know, bushido in the bed room sucks), Celes.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #61
Emi

Bushido, for me, is the ability I feel I'm let down by the most. At first, its not bad and actually makes Cyan really good, and then later on its incarnations end up being pretty bad.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #62
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
You can even hate on FFVII here if you so wish.
Just be prepared ta face the consequences >.> <.<

DNF:
FF Mystic Quest: did not "get" rpgs back then so I didn't like it. or maybe I didn't like it because it was bad? idk! am in no hurry to tempt fate by giving it another chance

FFV: on gba. didn't like it even alil bit an gave up in some haunted library place.

FFVI: on snes and gba! forced myself all the way to the final bosses tower before quitting. did not like it. did not learn the lesson to not force yourself through games to appese other people >_<;

FFVIII: rented it an didn't get very far. thought "drawing" was stupid. same for the way ya get "new" weapons. blah!

FFXII: owned but never opened! gave it away to a friend at a time I'd decided FF wasn't for me.

Beat:
FFVII: only like 50 times or somethin'. lovelovelove the game. first FF with battles that weren't bland and has a down to earth battle system even I can grasp... and exploit!

FF Tactics: isometric srpg = noooo! plus it was really hard. and a rental! but I had a gameshark so I was able ta cheat my way to the end. I could prolly give the game a fairer chance but its still not my type of game so I'm not gonna!

Crisis Core FFVII: the story coulda stood ta be abit longer but what was there was great. thought the gameplay was certainly fun both in battle and out.

Dirge or Cerberus -FFVII-: its a shooter @_@ not even sure how I was able to finish it but that did happen! it had alot of interesting stuff going on with its gameplay and story but I'm terrible at that type of game so its not something I'd buy/borrow to play again.

FFX HD: woohoo a mainline FF I didn't dislike! battle system was simple and on point. the linearity didn't bug me. an it had alot of cool moments and optional stuff I'll have ta try for myself someday. the final boss was painful and that blaring metal theme song was the worst final boss music ever x_x

???
FFX-2 HD: plan on playing it sometime soon! hopefully I'll like it since it was the draw of this collection to me!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #63
Chalis
Activating Rampage

I only played I, V, VI and Tactics. Liked all but Tactics.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #64
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Shame on Lindz for not playing IX.

I've played 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 and recently got the X-2 HD pack for Vita (I know, I know, but I'm a sucker for Dangan Ronpa) but haven't played it yet. I've recently started playing through FF8 for ABL and it's been interesting to get back into, though the draw system is odd and occasionally people will challenge you to card games while you're trying to perform a daring escape.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #65
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

The problem with 8 is that it doesn't tell you that leveling is a bad idea, so I got severely swindled there. Can't beat Griever-Ultimacia on my first file...

9 was my first FF, and really is awesome (totally not biased). My problems lie in the fact that I don't like using the two main characters at all. Lich is surprisingly tasty.

I attempted to play 10 without access to a memory card a few years back. That escapade died to the jellyfish you fight right after the first Sin battle. There's more than one of those, right?

Anyone else played Chocobo's Dungeons? No?
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #66
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Shame on Lindz for not playing IX.
I'm blameless! After the 1-2 whammy of suck which was Tactics / VIII I had no desire ta give IX a rental! Besides it came out in 2000 in which I was all about the Dreamycast and Lunar 2: EBC! Years later I hear IX's a throwback to older FFs which I didn't like, is really really slow, and has awful load times. Do not want!!

Quote:
and occasionally people will challenge you to card games while you're trying to perform a daring escape.
wtf?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #67
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

That I can remember, I've played all FFs starting from IV, including Tactics and Tactics Advance (skipping the online XI and XIV). Not in order, which probably influences my preferences.

IV was forgettable. I'm sure the Cecil-Kain dynamic was groundbreaking for its time, but the game really does nothing for me. Too formulaic and I couldn't connect with a single character, the plot was linear and the battle system was too straightforward. Relearning how to use Cecil properly after a certain plot point was an interesting twist but that's about it.

V lacked personality as much as it tried make up for weak characters with humor (and Gilgamesh!). But it was absolutely glorious with the introduction of Jobs and how they changed battles - I still have more fun with V's battle system than many modern RPGs, its only flaw was making every character an interchangeable jack of all trades, which is a pet peeve of mine.

VI was a masterpiece through and through. The hype is completely justified. It had something I've always treasured in RPGs: each character had a unique role. You had to rely on Locke to steal, Sabin to Blitz, etc. Each character was properly developed, with their own story arcs, and the Veldt was a blast (even if Gau was annoying). Kefka is also one of the most successful villains in the franchise so hats off to him, and props to Nobuo Uematsu for those wicked tracks (Decisive Battle and Dancing Mad are two of my all-time favorite videogame tunes).

VII... what can you say. It was my first FF so I'm perfectly aware that I'm biased, but it really was a historic game and one everyone should try. In hindsight Materia was a terrible idea, reducing any trace of character uniqueness down to their (mostly useless) Limit Breaks, but so much about VII was memorable that I'll let it slide. Legendary bosses like Ruby and Emerald Weapon, an iconic villain in Sephiroth and Chocobo breeding and racing all made it a really, really great game. Personally not the best FF I've ever played (pretty close though!), but I can sympathize with those who consider it their favourite game.

VIII to me was a step back. It took the mistakes of VII and emphasized them with the Draw mechanic. It was overly complex, completely broken and stripped everyone of their personality in battle. Summons, awesome as they looked, really should have been given an option to remove cinematics, because holy shit Eden. Characters were likable to be honest, I sympathized with almost all of them which is a rare thing for me. Too bad they screwed up the battle system and the story went completely down the drain half-way through; by the time they reach the orphanage I'm rolling my eyes at how contrived everything feels, and it only gets worse from there. A shame really, since the first part of the story in Balamb Garden and the whole atmosphere around it was really enjoyable!

IX is one of my personal favourites. Which is odd, since I hated Zidane (and fucking Quina) with a passion - it was the atmosphere that did wonders for me. Everything was magical from start to finish, and save for that final boss (what the hell were they thinking?!) the story held together really nicely. Everyone had a unique role, battling was really fun (and consistently difficult up until endgame), Chocobo games were second only to VII and the card game was really enjoyable. IX did nothing spectacularly well, but it just go so much right that I couldn't help falling in love with it.

X is actually my top Final Fantasy. There may be a pattern here - an unbelievably annoying main character and a ridiculous final boss... But X had the single best plot in my opinion, a turn-based battle system done right (and a really lovely Summon mechanic), one of the most engaging gameworlds and Blitzball, easy as it was, really held its own as a side game. It dealt with the touchy subject of religion and corruption, and it had as many heartwrenching moments as VI, which is saying a lot. It had faults - it was more linear than its predecessors, a couple of dud characters and some cringeworthy voice acting. But I can look past all that because there was so much to do, and so much of it was brilliantly well done, that it kept me engaged for longer than just about any other FF before or since.

X-2 felt like pandering to wrong type of fans. Yuna wasn't really Yuna, Paine was cookie-cutter and uninteresting, Rikku was still annoying. Dresspheres were actually a cool concept but it suffered from the same problem as Materia, and really, X's story should have ended where it did. At no point in X-2 did I feel like the sequel was worth writing, no matter how many twists and turns the plot went through. I didn't connect with the new characters and I didn't appreciate what they did with the old ones. Humor felt cheesy for the most part and I miss my Summons dammit. If X hadn't been the peak of FF games for me, maybe I'd have gone easier on X-2, but this really felt like a pointless game with plenty of pointless (borderline insulting) moments.

XII had everything to work but failed on some key aspects. I was completely in-tune with the world they created and the dynamics felt real, which is a huge plus. Characters and the political scenarios were believable and strong enough to get behind the characters fighting the higher power. But battles, innovative as they were, almost always felt like auto-pilot once I got the hang of it - the game played itself except in some tougher battles. Anyone could be anything and like I said before, that irks me - what reason did I have for using Balthier over Penelo other than the former's gorgeous accent? Characters were hit-or-miss, with ones like Balthier and Basch shining bright and Vaan and Penelo making me wonder why they were even there. The main character literally has no reason to be there other than having nothing better to do, and I often wondered why Vaan was the poster boy when the entire plot was about Ashe. Poor story design, no wonder I've heard somewhere tha Vaan was a last-minute addition; it shows.
This game could've ranked much higher if they didn't flub combat and half the characters, because the plot and the world were really keeping me engaged.

XIII: I don't want to play a tutorial until Chapter fucking TEN. I hate to jump on bandwagons but I really have no good things to say about this game. Whereas X masked its linearity with an abundance of stuff to do, XIII doesn't even care. It's almost literally a corridor from start to finish. The plot was overly contrived and the characters were either annoying (Sahz, Hope, Vanille), largely forgettable (Fang, Serah, Snow), or otherwise nothing we hadn't seen before (Lightning). For all its flashiness combat never felt engaging, and it was only slightly less autopilot than XII. I personally despised Summons and their Gestahlt mode in this one, something about Shiva motorcycles made my blood boil.

Didn't bother with any XIII sequels.

Tactics and Tactics Advance are my favourite strategy games of all time but I don't think it's fair to rate them next to the main FFs. Tactics had a broken translation but gave me everything I wanted from a tactical RPG, plenty of classes, monster taming, etc. Advance had a weaker plot and it was downright childish at times, but the actual combat was just as engaging. I'd personally do away with the Judge system, it was far too limiting at times, but I know some people appreciate the extra challenge in exchange for slightly less freedom.

Last edited by MarbleZone; 08-10-2014 at 08:05 PM.
MarbleZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #68
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleZone View Post
[size=1]

IX is one of my personal favourites. Which is odd, since I hated Zidane (and fucking Quina) with a passion - it was the atmosphere that did wonders for me. Everything was magical from start to finish, and save for that final boss (what the hell were they thinking?!) the story held together really nicely. Everyone had a unique role, battling was really fun (and consistently difficult up until endgame), Chocobo games were second only to VII and the card game was really enjoyable. IX did nothing spectacularly well, but it just go so much right that I couldn't help falling in love with it.
The only thing I disagree with here is the fact that I actually enjoy Quina, even though s/he has netted me more than game overs in attempt to devour the world. There's just something ridiculous about being to eat the Terran Guardians in spite them being somewhat iconic bosses.
Munching moldy whale flesh makes Kuja's Palace so much easier. He'd have near perfect security otherwise.
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #69
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

As stupid as X-2 is, the battle system is one of the most unique and fun in pretty much any RPG I've played. I really wish they had made another game with a similar battle system and a non-shit story, because I really loved to play the game for the combat alone.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #70
dirkac
uhhhhh

Right so considerjng the facf I've spammed the hell out of TO with FF lately J fjnally foubd this status upalte.

FFV ADVinally got around to beating Omega Mk. II and Neo Shinryu.
Both were utter jokes and I am very dissapointed in 110% of GameFAQs right now.
If curious, I didn't even optimize for Neo Shinryu or someshit, just my regular Flare Spellblade x2+Hastega+Mighty Guard+Mighty March+Hero's Rime.
Spoiler: show
In-depth:
Turn 1:
Faris: Flare Spellblade
Bartz:Flare Spellblade
Krile:Golem
Lenna:Quick+Mighty Guard+White Wind
Turn 2:
Faris:Rapidfire/being revived/Ether on Krile/Lenna
Bartz:Rapidfire/being revived/Ether on Krile/Lenna
Krile: Mighty March
Lenna:Quick+Wait until fully healed through Mighty March+White Wind+Hastega
Turn 3:
Bartz/Faris: See Turn 2
Krile: Golem/Pheonix/Hero's Rime
Lenna:Quick+Arise/Qhite Wind/Mighty/Guard/Hastega/Esuna/Curaga/Raise

Repeat ad unfinitum until Mute is cast by NS.
Mute didn't affect me dor some reason, so literally just the above but with Lenna also casting Blink.

Lenna did not get hit once second time around, and novody ever died then as well. Come Mute and I never even got hit.
I shit you not.

have I mentioned how much I love Hero's Rime? Dealjng 9999 Damage eight times with both Faris and Bartz is very pleasing to see.

FFVI: Grinding ob tge Vest si everyone can get Metwor and Meltdown before Dragon's Den. Perfect Game Save with every Skill (excwpt of course Siegfried/Typhon Rage), Item, Bestiary Entry (exept Sergeant ;-; but Soul ahrine), Formation, and Event.

FFIX: Trying to figure out wether I should steal the Mythril Sword from Beatrix or not (1/256 Steal and yes I am insane but I aill just always know I messed up). Also, I just want to point out this: I hate the Swirdfighting Minigame.
It took me four hours to get 1000 Jump Ropes, but after 16 hours of Swordfightibg, I could not get that 100. Evenually I said forget it and cheated. I promptly forget to pick up the Moonstone.
/rage
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #71
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Replayed 10! Well I ended up ragequitting, but I retried it atleast!

The combat is enjoyable, so the replay wasn't a total bust, but my god everything else is so irritating. The Tidus/Yuna thing is so god damn cheesy. I actually wanted to throw my controller at my TV after the
"romance" scene. It started out with this bawling. Then Tickle-me-Tidus started fondling her. Then they started spinning around with this dopey ass grin. I was alright until the fucking spinning. THEN they start playing that shitty insert song. Needless to say, I was not happy after that scene. The game then decides to spit in my face, because when that scene ends, I get a fucking trophy that is labeled "Heartstrings". Just to pour more god damn cheese on me. Unless of course I missed the point of the trophy. I would be fine if the trophy said "Congratulations on watching through a shitty fanfic level romance scene." "You have more patience than us, apparently, or you're 12 years old."

Even better is that there is so much needless grunting and groaning in the dialogue. In the middle of a conversation, Tidus will suddenly go "UH! UH! OOH! YEAH!" I tried to look for a compilation of his needless grunts, but it seems no kind soul has made one. It would probably be a nice 30 minute video too.

I can't help but make fun of the generic flatface for most of the non-main characters every time they appear. When one of them is irritated about life, it's clearly because the person has the same face as everyone else!

For why I ragequit? Mt Gagazet. I could not stand the fucking encounter rate in that area. After a while, I just decided "fuck this shit", and quit.

The game wasn't bad, but the cheesy, off-tone dialogue and irritating encounter rate just made me decide to call it quits.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #72
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Someone who knows more about Final Fantasy: Type 0, by all means please make a thread for it if you like. I'm just posting here as a Square-Enix ignoramus who happened to see this intro video of the game's courtesy of a newspost by a webcomic I haven't followed in months. So that stated ...

If this game is an MMORPG (which is what I assumed it to be from the "four kingdoms, four histories, CHOOSE YOUR NATION!"-type promo that the first half of the intro seemed to be), then it fucking figures that the nation I select is the one that gets fucking invaded by the aggro nation. If instead it's the next title in the main series of FFs, I guess I'm wondering why they scrapped the numbering system and went instead with "Type 0." Also wondering why LaCie [sp] sounded like it turned up multiple times in the video. Magitek/Magitech I've seen in several FFs over the years, but the LaCie thing I'd never even heard of until FF13 (which I haven't played either, so ...). Wondering if that's now a permanent part of FF lore going forward and if I should learn what the heck the term means.

More detailed spoilers of the video's contents:

While the game looks kinda interesting, it also looks like a less impressive version of Avatar: the Last Airbender. No reason we can't have both. No reason we can't have numerous A:tLA-like stories in our lives. Just noting, it seems like an inferior A:tLA.

Another split opinion of mine is the main squad of nine eleven or so. While I think it's cool that we might be playing as something of a Justice League squad of the phoenix kingdom's, I also think it's overwhelming to be tossed all eleven or so of your playable characters right from the very beginning -- and, more importantly, to have as many as eleven in the first place. While I do love FF6, one of its strong points was not its enormous cast imo. :\ Too many people to keep track of, and ultimately too many characters with weak stories that didn't hold our interest. (For every Locke and Celes, the game threw two Bobos and Stragos at us.) Even FF12 didn't end up providing a cast that everyone was 100% enamored with, but I feel like it was one of the best casts in an FF I've played and part of that I credit to the small size of the cast allowing Squeenix's writers to better write the individual characters. (Six characters in FF12 compared against nine in FF7 and fourteen in FF6.)

I'm not too crazy about either Final Fantasies or JRPGs in general, so I won't be rushing out to stores to by a console to play this game on, that's for certain. But I wish Square-Enix luck with it. Even as only a bystander, I've felt bad for both them and gamerdom that the last few FF products have been so poor and/or so poorly received.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #73
Emi

L'Cie are, as far as I know, only found in the Nova Crystalis Group of games. Basically, you have the god-like Fal'Cie, who give some of their power to normal humans, L'Cie. Basically, its the Final Fantasy equivalent of a magical girl.

A little miffed the Eidolons they decide to showcase are again Bahamut and Odin. Don't they have other summons they could do? :/

EDIT: Also, its not an MMO, and its notably a port from the PSP.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #74
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Man I want Type 0 so much but I don't have a PS4. ;;

Also like Emi said, L'Cie as a term is similar to Magitek in that it is relevant to the lore of only a subsect of the games.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #75
Emi

I think it looks interesting. Not enough for me to want to get an Xbone or a PS4 but should something come that I really want for one of the consoles I wouldn't mind picking this up along with it. It looks stellar and the story doesn't seem too bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games