UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #51
Talon87
時の彼方へ

With only 90 minutes to go, if you want to sign up, now is the time! So far the participant count is at 11. The tournament format votes are at 7 for Round Robin, 0 for Double-Elimination, and 4 not yet voted. The tournament calendar votes are at 4 for what I proposed yesterday, 0 against, and 7 not yet voted.

Still working on the fully-fleshed out Tournament Rules post.

*thread bump* to see if Kuno's awake and to ask him to get ready for the Livestream. Should be fun. I look forward to signing in and watching the dice rolls live.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #52
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'm around.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #53
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Aaaaand that does it! Registration is now closed! That means the competitors in this year's Champion League Tournament are Talon87, Concept, Tyranidos, KratosAurion, blazeVA, Lonely Cubone, SP-Eevee, Holy Emperor, XanderKetsu, Celebii151, and YUKI.N!

With seven votes in favor of Round Robin, it looks like Round Robin automatically wins. With no votes contesting the suggested "modified Round Robin" style, I think we'll go ahead and go with that. Last but not least, with no votes contesting the suggested tournament deadlines, I think we'll go with those as well. (If a majority of members voice complaints with that schedule, I will still be amenable to changing it. But for now, consider it the official schedule.)

Given how we'll be doing the dice rolls, it's not as though it matters, but I'm going to go ahead and use this RNG on Random.org to go ahead and generate the rolling order for the eleven of us. Kuno's rolls, the real randomness, are what matter anyway. I'm just doing this so there's absolutely zero grounds for complaints about non-randomness. (Temporarily 1 = Talon, 2 = Concept, etc. Order in which you signed up.) So now the rolling order Kuno will do shall be:
XanderKetsu
SP-Eevee
KratosAurion
Lonely Cubone
Concept
YUKI.N
Tyranidos
Talon87
Celebii151
blazeVA
Holy Emperor

Since he's our gracious dice-rolling host, I suppose Kuno is free to veto this random rolling if he hates the fact that the RNG turned his name up last XD, but other than that, this order doesn't really matter anyway since we're randomly rolling to assign characters.

See you in the Livestream! Uhh ... well, once Kuno posts a link to it. (If it's Regamening, I'm already there. Otherwise, link please!)

EDIT: How silly of me. I forgot to list the dice-rolling identities of our seven champions and four Elite Four tickets. They are:
1 - Steven
2 - Red
3 - Elite Four ticket
4 - Elite Four ticket
5 - Green/Blue
6 - Alder
7 - Wallace
8 - Elite Four ticket
9 - Cynthia
10 - Elite Four ticket
11 - Lance

Last edited by Talon87; 11-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #54
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Expand to see how the dice rolls went.
Spoiler: show
Xander gets 3 from the original list. Elite Four Ticket. Scrunched list for D10 is ...

1 - Steven
2 - Red
3 - Elite Four ticket
4 - Green/Blue
5 - Alder
6 - Wallace
7 - Elite Four ticket
8 - Cynthia
9 - Elite Four ticket
10 - Lance

Speevy gets Steven Stone (1). KratosAurion gets Wallace (6). Scrunching the list for a D8, we get ...

1 - Red
2 - Elite Four ticket
3 - Green/Blue
4 - Alder
5 - Elite Four ticket
6 - Cynthia
7 - Elite Four ticket
8 - Lance

LC rolls a 5 for an Elite Four ticket. Concept rolls a 7 for an Elite Four ticket. Scrunching the list for a D6, we get ...

1 - Red
2 - Elite Four ticket
3 - Green/Blue
4 - Alder
5 - Cynthia
6 - Lance

YUKI.N rolls a 5 for Cynthia. :O Tyranidos rolls a 4 for Alder.

Scrunched (and final) list for a D4 is ...

1 - Red
2 - Elite Four ticket
3 - Green/Blue
4 - Lance

Talon87 rolls 1 for Red. Celebii151 rolls 2 for an Elite 4 ticket. blazeVA rolls a 3 for Green/Blue. And so Headmaster Kuno automatically gets Lance.

Then we entered into E4 rolling. Only Concept was present >( ^^;, so we gave him priority. The possibilities were:
1 - Will
2 - Koga
3 - Bruno
4 - Karen

Concept rolled a 2 and got Koga. He decided to keep, making it a moot point for any of the other E4 ticket holders who might have wanted Koga.

The other three -- Xander, LC, and Celebii -- weren't present, so Kuno suggested a rules change that we went with. Here it is: we rolled you guys a Gen 2 E4 for now. (Randomly and fairly.) We're then going to say that if you don't like who you got, ask me and tell me who you would want instead. (It has to be somebody new and it can't be an E4 somebody else has already taken.) We'll go in the order you rolled for priority. The roll then will be a coin flip: you will have a 50-50 shot. 50% chance of getting who you already have, 50% chance of getting the person you ask for. So, having said that ...

Xander rolled a 1 and gets Will for now. LC rolled a 4 and gets Karen for now. That means that Celebii151 automatically gets Bruno for now.

So the list is!

Team Red: Talon87
Team Green/Blue: blazeVA
Team Will: XanderKetsu
Team Koga: Concept
Team Bruno: Celebii151
Team Karen: Lonely Cubone
Team Lance: Headmaster Kuno
Team Steven: SP-Eevee
Team Wallace: KratosAurion
Team Cynthia: YUKI.N
Team Alder: Tyranidos

Okay! Scheduling info, round info, rules, etc all in the next colossal post!

Last edited by Talon87; 11-06-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #55
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
I'm out for the next few hours, so will accept whoever I get and trust you all...
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #56
Lady Kuno

Wait, nobody got green/blue?

I thought it was just Lance left at the end and that's who I defaulted to. :x I didnt actually roll for myself. Why aren't you on AIM talon.

Edit: NVM it's blaze.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #57
XanderKetsu
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via AIM to XanderKetsu Send a message via Skype™ to XanderKetsu
Fuck, remembered I van't make it next weekend, if held then. Throwing this out there now otherwise it might lead to confusion later.

Edit: I wish to make this clear for my confuzzed head. All 'mom used by a trainer can be used in this tournament? Ex: Me having a Flareon since Will had one in Staduim 2. And we are not limited to the Pokemon's original moveset, just whatever P-O gives us, correct?

DAMMIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Or...do you?

Last edited by XanderKetsu; 11-06-2011 at 11:21 AM.
XanderKetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #58
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm writing the full rules post right now, Xander, but I've said this many times already so please listen carefully: you may only use monsters you had in a main game. All tournament-legal creatures have been listed for the seven Champions in the OP post. The E4 listings will come eventually, but they follow the same basic guidelines. Stadium 2 is not a main series game and therefore does not count. If we allowed the Stadium games, it would produce a ridiculous advantage for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 trainers. I made this clear from Day 1, so I don't expect this to be something anyone would try and contend right now.

Also, you needn't make it next weekend: you need only make sure you get your Round 1, Round 2, Round 3, Round 4, Round 5, and Round 6 battles completed by their appropriate deadlines (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night for each respective pair). You could start battling today if you wish. I probably will try and find people to start battling with either some time later tonight or else tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tournament Rules

I. Team Making
II. Matches
III. Disqualification

Team Making
Pokémon-Online's Basic Rules & Clauses:
It will be up to each competitor to make sure that the appropriate boxes are checked or left unchecked on P-O. If someone refuses to play you unless you agree to check (or uncheck) a box and if you believe that they are in violation of the rules outlined below, notify me and I will deal with that member.

Generation and Default Mode: the generation should be set to B/W (5th Gen). You should set this in the Team Builder window by clicking on "Gen." on the top and then selecting "B/W (5th Gen)" in the drop-down menu. You should select creatures and moves such that you are automatically placed in P-O's Wifi OU bracket. (No, we will not be doing WiFi battles. However, you need to make sure that you are in the WiFi OU bracket. See "Other Rules & Clauses" below for more details.)

Sleep Clause: this box should be checked on P-O. You can only put up to one (1) creature to sleep at a time.

Freeze Clause: this box should be checked on P-O. You can only freeze up to one (1) creature at a time.

Disallow Spectators: this box should be left unchecked on P-O. For the purposes of the tournament, we are encouraging audience attendance. Thus, all battles are public.

Item Clause: this box should be checked on P-O. Because P-O does not allow us to customize this, you are going to be restricted to having only one copy of an item per team. Originally I was going to let people have up to two (2) of the same item but P-O is all-or-none and we don't have the resources to make sure that people aren't spamming six Choice Scarfs or six Choice Bands, etc, so ... sorry. :\ But yeah, regular Item Clause is in effect.

Challenge Cup: this refers to P-O's Challenge Cup mode and should be left unchecked. Checking it will automatically ignore your teams and create two new random teams for you.

No Timeout: this box is up to the participants to agree upon. When in doubt, No Timeout is the rule of thumb for this tournament and so this box should be checked. But if both participants agree to a timed match, then that's their prerogative.

Species Clause: this box should be left unchecked on P-O. Creature repeats are allowed provided you have evidence that the trainer had as many creatures of that stage on his or her team at once. For example, Steven Stone may not use two or more Metagrosses but Dragon Master Lance may use as many as three separate Dragonites on one team.

Wifi Battle: this box should be left unchecked on P-O. If you check it, two things will become possible. First, before the battle even begins you will be able to see all six of your opponent's Pokémon and he/she will be able to see all six of yours. Second, you will each be able to rearrange the order of your teams.

Self-KO Clause: this box should be left unchecked. For the purposes of this tournament, if a Pokémon KO's both itself and its opponent and there are no Pokémon left standing, the battle will be a tie. This happens in the anime all the time and this is a casual tournament anyway.

Other Rules & Clauses:
It will be up to each competitor to honor these rules or clauses. We do not have any way of enforcing them via the Pokémon-Online software.

Eligible Creatures: you may select any creature which your trainer used in the main video games. The full creature list is provided in the OP post. Using any creatures not listed for your trainer is not permitted. If you see someone doing that, you should report it to me immediately.

Eligible Moves: you may use any moves you wish so long as they are creature-legal, something P-O enforces anyway. OHKO moves like Fissure or Sheer Cold will be limited to two (2) iterations per team but are tournament-legal.

Eligible IV spreads: any and all.

Eligible EV spreads: P-O enforces a maximum distribution of 508 EVs across all six stats and a maximum deposit of 254 EVs for any one stat (with 252 representing max efficiency). You have complete freedom within those confines to choose how to spread your EVs.

Abilities and Dream World abilities: Pokémon with Dream World abilities that have been released to the public in any region are allowed, provided your trainer can use them in the first place. Dream World abilities not yet released to the public in any region are not allowed in this tournament. The way you can know if you're doing this right is to see whether P-O automatically preferences you for "DW OU" (or any other Dream World tier) or whether it automatically preferences you for "WiFi OU" (or any other WiFi tier). If it says DW in front, then you've done it wrong and selected an ability which is illegal for this tournament. If it says WiFi in front, then you've done it right. However, keep in mind that when you then challenge one another to a fight, you will uncheck the checkbox which says "WiFi Battle." (See "WiFi Battle" section above.)

Shadow Tag/Arena Trap: these two abilities will be allowed in this tournament. This is a casual tournament and these frightening abilities are meant to be explored, not shelved. You are representing your trainer: so think how you would try to defeat these terrifying abilities if you were faced with them in an actual battle!

Sturdy: this ability is allowed and does not count towards your Focus Sash item count should you choose to use one.

Weather Clause: all weather forms are allowed. Only tournament-legal moves or abilities which trigger weather are allowed.

Matches

Where To Fight: click on "Go Online" from the program's splash menu. From there, double-click on "Pokémon Online" on the very top of the server list. This is where battles should be held, just to make sure everything's consistent. If for some reason you can't log in to the P-O server, try at a different time.

Record Your Logs: please record your logs! This will allow the community to watch your battles later and to also verify that these were in fact your tournament matches (and not just casual matches you later played). What you need to do is, when the battle screen loads up, you should immediately make sure of two things! First, make sure that the "Save log" checkbox is checked. This will record your battle log to your computer. Second, you will want to type into the chatbox "tournament match" (or similar words) to let us know that this is the tourney match. Your opponent should also type those words in.

Report Your Victories: the winner of each match should report it here in the thread. Be sure to mention both of your names.

Share your battles logs: find where on your computer your logs are being saved. (It differs from person to person. I am running Windows XP and have had logs save to C:\Program Files\Pokemon Online\Logs before and I have had them more recently save to C:\Documents and Settings\[my name]\Logs, so check both file paths. No clue for Vista, Windows 7, MacOS X, etc.) Once you find the appropriate log file, upload it here: http://pokemon.aesoft.org/ Then, post the link it generates in this thread (along with your victory report). This way, we can all enjoy watching the match: even those of us who were away at the time! If everybody cooperates, we should be able to have a great archive of UPN battles to share with folks.

Disqualification
Deadlines: you are expected to complete your matches by the dates and times provided in the calendar above. If neither player notifies me of a win/loss and if neither player can provide evidence that they tried to contact the other person (a PM is preferred as Kuno can verify that this was sent), the match will be registered as a Draw and neither player will be awarded points. If only one player notifies me that they tried to contact the other person but he/she wouldn't respond, on good faith that person will be awarded the auto-win and the other person the auto-loss. (Again, evidence is required for this or else you'll be given a draw.) However, if the other person can provide evidence of a good excuse for having missed the match, then I will extend the deadline for that pair and no winner will be immediately declared.

(going to go ahead and post this so that you guys can start building your teams)

Last edited by Talon87; 11-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #60
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
My piss poor team is prepared.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #61
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Signing up.
Free next weekend.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #62
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #63
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Well, I should have read the thread.
Thanks anywho!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #64
Lady Kuno

Sorry, you just missed this by a few hours. D:

Old 11-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #65
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Fuck Vanilluxe.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #66
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Sorry, Ethe.

Well, I have to download PO on my new laptop, as I only had it on my old one. Does anyone know how to give abilities to Pokemon? I can't figure out how to do that.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #67
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Fuck Vanilluxe.
I suppose you're saying the same for Escavalier?

On another note, Bruno's team sucks.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #68
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
My piss poor team is prepared.
Tested it. Got spanked.

Yay!

EDIT the first: Tested again and won. Yay!

Last edited by Concept; 11-06-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #69
Lady Kuno

Questions:

1) Do I have to use the same team for all the battles? Like, can I have reserve mon for other trainers? Or do I have to use the same 6 for all battles?

2) Are logs going to be public from the get go? It seems kind of.. unfair since you can look at other battles and see everyones movesets from the start.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The rules post isn't finished yet. Still need to copy&paste the DQ stuff I wrote on the very first day but saved to a .txt file. ^^; But I need to go get lunch, so that comes first. So be sure to check back on the rules post.

Also, I need confirmation from Xander, Celebi, and LC who they are/want to be. LC is afk today, but Xander and Celebi, want to confirm for me your results? If you like who you got, say so and he/s yours. If you don't like who you got, let me know, let me know who you'd rather have a shot at (THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN PICKED), and we'll let you re-roll. (Or screw it: since this is a very casual tourney anyway, we could even let you just have them so long as nobody objects. If anybody objects, though, then you gotta roll for it. I don't object. ) Once we sort out who you are, I'll update the main post to include your guys' creature lists as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #71
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

I have completed my team.

EDIT: How the fuck do I playtest this team? PO keeps forcing me to play Challenge Cup.

Last edited by Tyranidos; 11-06-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Tyranidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #72
Lady Kuno

Team is ready as well. If you were gonna be so lazy you should of just let some pick who we wanted. I doubt anyone was gunning for Karen. XP

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
1) Do I have to use the same team for all the battles? Like, can I have reserve mon for other trainers? Or do I have to use the same 6 for all battles?
I've waffled on this a lot in my mind, and this is something I've yet to incorporate into the official rules post above, but my final verdict is ... yes, you may have reserve Pokémon, no, you may not have more than one of that particular creature. (So for example, as Red, I cannot both have a physical Charizard and a special Charizard which I rotate between depending on who I am fighting. Charizard is Charizard, my one and only, so he's gotta be consistent.) This leads into your next question, which is ...

Quote:
2) Are logs going to be public from the get go? It seems kind of.. unfair since you can look at other battles and see everyones movesets from the start.
Casual tourney. Don't worry about it so much, man. If I said "you can change your moves around," then everybody would be trying to out-game everybody else every bloody round. It'd be a mess. I mean, you could do it, but that really isn't the point of this tournament. This idea was inspired by reading about your guys' ASB and thinking about the anime. I thought it'd be fun for us to represent the Champions and Elite Four and to bring their creatures to life. You're free to use whatever moves you like, but I don't know if I want to let that extend to switching between battles.

This isn't meant to punish you (who want to change the moves to avoid being predictable) so much as it's meant to protect the people you face (who shouldn't have to be like, "Well fuck it. He has a team of six OUs and I have a team of two OUs, three UUs, and one NU. I'm screwed. I may as well forfeit now." I want everybody to have fun during this tournament, casual or not, and I don't want it to so easily turn into a "Cynthia or Green or Lance is going to totally fucking win this tournament no matter what anyone else tries."

tl;dr whoever is running Wallace should not have to worry that his opponents are going to magically all learn electric moves just in time for their match-up and just as magically forget them before they move on to the next round. Either you always had the electric move or else you never had it. Otherwise it's completely stacked against Wallace, Koga, etc. And that just ain't cool. I mean, would you like it if a team that didn't have a single Psychic move across it suddenly all knew Psychic and Earthquake when they showed up to face Koga if you were Koga?

I understand your concerns about people figuring out each others' teams, but ... casual tourney, dude. Let's just have fun and knock out these eleven battles apiece, win or lose.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #74
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Team is ready as well. If you were gonna be so lazy you should of just let some pick who we wanted. I doubt anyone was gunning for Karen. XP
WTF, it's 1:09pm and I haven't eaten anything since Saturday morning. (No lunch or dinner yesterday, unfortunately. Had some crackers and peanut butter before bed but only a couple.) I'm busy with stuff too and I'm not being lazy. XP

As for letting people pick who they want, ARGH, I've said this before already: I personally, Talon87, am cool with that idea. But I didn't allow it because I 100% knew that if I did there would be kids fighting over the same two or three Champions and other kids crying that they were unfairly forced to have somebody else. The fairest way was a dice roll. The end. I am personally down with letting the E4 people pick who they want or letting people trade, but like Concept said, it's way too much hassle, only the people who got less fortunate rolls are going to pester the people who got more fortunate rolls, etc. So I just said "No, forget it, you get who you get."
Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #75
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Alright, I figured it out. I'm ready to battle anyone who's willing right now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON