UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #276
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

SAO Extra Edition:

Don't watch it. Seriously. Wasted 100 minutes of my life on this shit.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #277
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
SAO Extra Edition:

Don't watch it. Seriously. Wasted 100 minutes of my life on this shit.
Haven't watched it yet. But it's that bad, huh? ^^; Yikes.

Out of curiosity, George, do/did you plan to watch SAO II?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #278
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Haven't watched it yet. But it's that bad, huh? ^^; Yikes.

Out of curiosity, George, do/did you plan to watch SAO II?
80 minutes of Recap and Fanservice, then 20 minutes of poor questing and more fanservice.

Probably gonna watch SAO II, although I might have to drop it if it follows the same kind of themes the first one did.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #279
Talon87
時の彼方へ

General disclaimer: spoilers for SAO's first two story arcs follow.

Tried to watch Extra Edition. Got as far as the start of the first bit of recap (the part where Kayaba Akihiko is addressing the players gathered in the circle on the first floor) where I paused the episode. Came back to the episode half an hour later. Decided to skip around and see what all was happening. Glimpsed Kirito's adventure with Silica. Glimpsed his duel with what's-his-name in the colosseum. Glimpsed present-day Kirito being emo. Skipped really far ahead. Glimpsed Klein acting like a fool saying "I'M COMING, MERMAID GIRL!" Saw Kirito talking to an old man under the sea. Glimpsed everybody up in the sky looking at the sunset and/or the backs of each others' heads. Glimpsed the ending credits.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah ... I don't think I can stomach watching this. ^^; For one, you have to really love Sword Art Online to want to sit through a 2-hour recap of it. For a second, even the non-recap bits were really bothering me. Hammy dialogue. Hammy fanservice. Lazily transparent fanservice. (Like, they don't even bother to try hiding that that's what the locker room scene is.) And all of this obsessive focus on Shounen Jesus, Kirigaya Kazuto, where this dumb little fourteen or fifteen-year old is treated like he's Merlin living in the modern age and thus a matter of national security that even the Prime Minister wants tabs kept on. Oh come on. This is ridiculous.

If I can't stomach Extra Edition, I'm pretty confident I won't be able to stomach SAO II.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #280
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Oh you guys. I enjoyed SAO and Fairy Dance arcs. I could stomach the Special. You do have to like the series to take it :P

I look forward to Gun Gale Online. Comes out near my birthday.

oh yeah......today I got something to make you hate me.
pulled from a box

Spoiler: show
Old 06-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #281
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaichuRocks View Post
oh yeah......today I got something to make you hate me.
pulled from a box

Oh wow, you lucky bugger.
Only Vanguard card I have is a Circle Magus, so it's not much anyway. Congrats on pulling that out.

I'm probably going to watch SAO II, even if it's sort of carppy to many of you. Fanservice why not? *shot*

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #282
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

OH SHIT! IT'S FUCKING TIME FOR SAO II! I think this will be worthy of a type-as-I-watch post!

SAO II episode 1 spoilers:
Wow! A game that makes Agility not the most important stat?! I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE! Well...EXCEPT FOR EVERY OTHER RPG IN EXISTENCE!

There's badass Kirito in a cloak in a corner. Atleast I think it's Kirito. I call guy in the cloak being Kirito!

DEATH NOTE WITH BULLETS!

Awww~ Asuna is so deluded that she thinks real life is an RPG. Well this will probably be the last episode she appears before she's kidnapped. Poor Princess Peach....I mean Asuna!

That CGI leaf! Totally looks natural.

Date time with Asuna. Except it's in the school they go to? Also Asuna's too stupid to know anything about the things around campus, so she has to have Kirito explain it to her?

They're talking about how reality feels different from games, yet the first thing from Asuna's mouth was how she couldn't tell the difference? Also I'm pretty sure the "realistic touch" thing has already been done.

Criminal investigator Kirito to the rescue! He's the Sherlock Holmes of the future.

Pffffffffahahahahaha! "Death Gun" Totally not a Death Note ripoff.

Uhhh...."People are getting killed in another MMO. It's like they're telling me to not forget!" Didn't you just say that the TWO deaths were a coincidence?

Look at that. Kirito's playing as a lady this time.

Not that much to really knock on so far. Sadly I had to resort to nitpicking. I'm sure the prime beef will pile in soon though!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:16 AM   #283
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I'm going to call it before I even watch the first episode. The bad guy of the show is obviously
the girl with the big-ass gun who'll stick to Kirito's side like glue/Asuna/love interest #9,999,997. Because THE KILLER'S IDENTITY IS SUCH A MYSTERY, WOOO.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #284
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I bet (episode 1 spoilers I guess)
she's Kirito's long lost sister. Reki watched/read some Ore no Imouto and thought "THIS IS GREAT! I WANT THIS IN MY STORY!" and decided to magically give Kirito a sister. Kirito will get a taste of real sister incest while Asuna is kidnapped, and Suguha will curse her "impure" blood.

She's only evil because she loves Kirito and wants his affection! She's not a rotten bitch! She's tsundere! (sarcasm)
Old 07-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #285
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

IT'S SATURDAY BITCHES! YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?! SAO TIME!

SAO II episode 2 spoilers

What did that lizard ever do to you asshole?!

Lady Kirito V2 is with a group of gruff guys....yup, they'll turn out to be evil, or die. Anything that will get them out of the way for Kirito's lovin'!

Oh yes. It's so unbelievable that a person playing a game would smile after getting a kill. IT'S UNHEARD OF!

I don't want to die! If I die in this game, my son will grow up without a daddy! Little girl, give me a pointless pep talk to stop my bitching!

Little girl falling down in a straight path is too hard to hit with a minigun! WHY IS AIMING SO HARD?!

Oh Silica. You really are tentacle's best friend.

Eh....not much to poke fun at. This week's episode actually wasn't bad. I mean the whole "GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS!" was silly as always, but outside of silly nitpicking, no complaints.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #286
Char
Banned

omg this is back?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #287
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

What is wrong with everyone?! WHY ISN'T EVERYONE WORSHIPING THE SEQUEL TO THE BEST ANIME EVER?! I understand everyone's disappointment though. I sure have been disappointed. So far, season 2 hasn't been bad. It has its dumb head-turning moments, but not much to make fun of. Actually season 2 has been kind of entertaining so far.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #288
Char
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
What is wrong with everyone?! WHY ISN'T EVERYONE WORSHIPING THE SEQUEL TO THE BEST ANIME EVER?! I understand everyone's disappointment though. I sure have been disappointed. So far, season 2 hasn't been bad. It has its dumb head-turning moments, but not much to make fun of. Actually season 2 has been kind of entertaining so far.
I was waiting for you~

Best anime ever <3
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #289
Char
Banned

SAO II Episode 5 ending :OOO
Old 08-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #290
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

I'm going to drop in, state that I didn't see episode five's reveal coming, and leave. Ciao!
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #291
Huhadude
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Huhadude
One of the better newer animes I have watched.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #292
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

So, you know how nobody picked this up because of how abysmal the original SAO was? Yeah you should've picked it up. This isn't the best show of the new season, but this is the show that I probably look forward to the most when it comes to airing. It might just be because I'm into eSports but for me this is a million times better than SAO ever was. Sure it has its annoying moments with Kirito still pretending to be a fucking girl at times, but I can easily look over that. Honestly, its turned out to be a good show. Its very different to the first series, the only character from the first series properly remaining being Kirito. Thats right lonely spotty weeaboos, no Asuna waifu bait for you guys.

I also feel like the show is a lot more closely tied to what a gamers IRL life would be like. There's a fair bit of focus on psychological problems, especially when it comes to Sinon, the main female lead. There's also (not really spoiling anything) that photo of Zexceed that shows that he has an unhealthy stature and pale skin, yet in the game he can be his arrogant 'best player in GGO' self, although we only get a glimpse of that. Still, its much more believable than it was in SAO. Maybe its due to the switch from a lighthearted MMO to a hardcore eSport level game, but its just way more believable.

Tl;Dr: SAO 2 is actually good. Much much better than the original. Watch it!
Old 09-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #293
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've still been watching this. I lost most of my enthusiasm for the whole "type as I watch" post. SAO II actually isn't bad, so it's difficult to come up with ways to mock it if there isn't that much to mock. Though that craptastic episode 7 would have been perfect for one.

Also the lost harem focus really helped things. That was the worst parts about SAO and Accel World, so that being removed gives the show a few points. Of course I'm not saying season 2 is great or anything, but I'm still entertained enough to feel like I'm not wasting my time.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #294
Char
Banned

The 2nd half of episode 13 was painful to watch.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #295
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It seems this arc in SAO II is over. Overall, it was a decent arc. Not really good, but it wasn't as brain-killingly stupid as the first season...atleast not until the last few episodes of the arc and some of the drama episodes. Reki really knows how to write villains, doesn't he? It's like he is intune with the troubles of other twisted people, and can write a touching and well thought out story about them! Totally not sarcasm or anything!

For the first episode in part II...oh dear lord. It's like a 5 year old is trying to write a fantasy story. "The moon has a bleeding crystal that you must obtain to open the door of amazon. That door leads to a labyrinth that is filled with gremlins from the evil cactus of Eldorado. You must kill the evil cactus and restore peace to the world. In doing so, the king's magic goose will shit the sword of ultimate power and you can be the new king!" Some shit like this.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #296
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
For the first episode in part II...oh dear lord. It's like a 5 year old is trying to write a fantasy story. "The moon has a bleeding crystal that you must obtain to open the door of amazon. That door leads to a labyrinth that is filled with gremlins from the evil cactus of Eldorado. You must kill the evil cactus and restore peace to the world. In doing so, the king's magic goose will shit the sword of ultimate power and you can be the new king!" Some shit like this.
Wait, didn't Kirito already do the whole save the damsel in distress thing over and over, clear the dungeon/labyrinth and then get handed that Uber-Mod-Gamemaster Card Shingaling of Ultimate Power so he could save mankind from SAO's brain-control? In the first season?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #297
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

So after discussing what to watch, Swift and I have decided we're gonna try to watch this at the same time. At first we were just gonna watch Space Dandy since we knew 100% we'd both enjoy it, but we decided we're just gonna wait until Spring Break / Summer / Whenever we can just marathon through it. We've settled on SAO because I, and probably him too, want to just be able to make my own opinion on it since everything I see ranges from "It's fantastic" to "It's terrible". And secondly, a few people from our school have watched it, and one in particular won't shut up about it. I dunno if Swift'll be interested in posting his thoughts on each episode, but I'm definitely going to try to go over this somewhat critically but not without mentioning if I at least enjoy it without looking into it too much, if that makes any sense.

Episode 1:

It was alright. In terms of catching my interest it does a pretty good job. The world looks really great and captivating, and the animation itself looks solid, with nothing too glaringly off. I feel bad about jumping right in on this since it's the first episode and it's very likely this is one of those shows that doesn't reveal things until later on, but I was a bit put off by the complete lack of...anything regarding Kirito's character. All we know is he's a guy with a mom and sister who's probably in high school and is really into gaming. And beyond that all we get is pretty bland dialogue from him and "I really like Sword Art Online." Klein's better off than Kirito since they at least gave him some sort of personality, but judging from how he splits off so fast, I doubt he'll be a character who sticks around for more than an episode or two here and there if he isn't killed off relatively soon.

Onto the plot, I like it...but at the same time I don't. I like the idea of being trapped in an MMO with other players trying to get out, but I don't like how they go about implementing up. I mean, I'm probably taking it too seriously, but hey that's what I said I was going to do. How the hell does something like this even happen in a world even further advanced than today's? Even with beta tests involving a functional logout, how the hell would the NerveGear even be legal when it's obviously a massive hazard? But anyways, fantasy world, not real world (even though it is the future real world). It's a nice set up to drive the series, and enough to keep me interested enough to watch more. What bothers me is the massive exposition dump that takes up a lot of the episode. I'm getting a feeling pacing is going to be a problem here when you just immediately throw the main character into the game without any sort of background other than "has mom and sister" then spend 5+ minutes spouting exposition in a really show don't tell manner. All that really needed to be said was, "This is intentional. Reach the 100'th floor and defeat the final boss to survive. I'm doing this because I want to play god, now become your real selves." It would've had a much stronger impact to actually show what happens to players when their family removes the NerveGear. I guess they show what happens when someone dies in game, but that's after the big reveal so there's less of an impact. Plus it was only a brief 5 or so second snippet. But anyways, Kirito keeps adding on to his blandness of being the hardcore gamer he is while Klein does the stereotypical but not bad "gotta stick with my buddies" thing. And they have a totes nohomo moment to end the episode, finally giving us the best part of the whole thing, Crossing Field! Nah just kidding, but it's still a super catchy song.

So yeah, I didn't really think it was bad, but it definitely isn't anything spectacular so far. Plus it's the first episode, so I can't be too critical of it until I've seen what's to come. Still interesting enough to keep me watching without it being an "ugh no" thing though, so that's a plus. Then again, I'm really bad at dropping things.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:06 AM   #298
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Will you two be watching Log Horizon as well? It's similar at the basal level (trapped in a 'modern' MMORPG, as opposed to .hack) but has a completely different plot trajectory.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #299
Sparkbeat

Yeah I plan on watching it sometime, and I could probably get Swift to watch it with me when I do. Probably gonna be looking forward to it a bit more because I've generally heard more unanimously positive reviews for it, and a guy who's blog/yt I've been following for a while speaks pretty highly of it. It's trajectory probably leans more towards my tastes as well, a bit more so than SAO's.

Last edited by Sparkbeat; 02-18-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Sparkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:24 AM   #300
Sparkbeat

We got on Skype and talked through Episode 2 before heading to bed. Since we'll probably use Skype Voice Chatting to watch most of this, I'm probably gonna try to find someway to record it since idk we can be amusing sometimes I guess.

And this is where things go from "meh but interesting" to "this is terrible." Like, do these people even know how to make an intriguing character. I'm pretty sure there are shows out there that make better characters of 5 minutes than this has in two episodes. I get this is just a base for them, but if it's base then it's a slab of solid fucking concrete. First off, "one month later." Maybe it might have been interesting to see how people adapt to having to live in the game through the first month? Oh wait nevermind that's what Log Horizon (From what I've heard) explores. Then besides Kirito we get blue hair guy who I'll get to later, spiky pale orange hair conspiracy guy, and large muscular level headed guy. The latter two guess I can excuse their blandness seeing as they're just plot devices at the moment, one creating the conflict and the other off-setting it momentarily so it can return in full force later. And the conflict's a fair one, but in all honesty it's kind of silly. Heck it's extremely silly. For one, how does this guy even know the people who were EXP farming and loot grabbing were beta testers? Why the hell are you so pissed off with Kirito, the guy who with Asuna just sealed the deal for you, for allowing one guy to die, especially when you have literally no relation to him? Isn't that proof enough that this beta tester at least isn't looking for "death to all noobies!" ignoring what happens mere seconds later? But anyways, moving on, blue hair sword leader guy. I know I asked for show not tell, which they still fail completely to do, but this guy's death meant absolutely nothing. Hell Swift and I were laughing because of how stupid it was. He dies because he gets greedy with the chance at a rare item, then Kirito decides he's a super big hero leader man who inspires everyone and did great things when all he really did was go "Hey guys lets get in groups and beat this boss. I'll shout orders and you guys fight then I'll get the finishing blow." Hell I think the deathbed convo is the first time Kirito's even spoken to this guy. Maybe show blue hair guy making some plans for attack? And then he reveals he's a beta tester...and that goes absolutely no where outside of explaining why he got greedy I guess. I thought it was gonna go somewhere, but instead of revealing that piece of somewhat vital info Kirito gets a new black cloak that raises the Edgy stat by 50. I mean, Swift was calling it a character 180, but it really isn't imo. He just kept to himself before, but now he's out in the open in terms of what he thinks of his gaming skills. Or combat skills I guess. Because if he thinks that strutting himself around like he's the shit is the best way to win this game he's clearly lacking in the mental aspect of gaming. Like damn, they're trying to hard to be dramatic and edgy but all Swift and I were doing throughout the entire end to this episode were laughing our asses off at how stupid it was. But anyways, positives time I guess. The fight scenes were cool enough, though Swift and I cracked up when Kirito started spouting off at how amazing Asuna is before she even does anything besides draw her sword and run past him. Like, he's talking about how great a warrior she is before they even show us the animation of her killing things. Asuna seems interesting enough. A bit bland like everything in this show, but there's enough mystery for intrigue. Her not noticing the names above the health bar was worth noting, and she in general seems a bit out of it. I did dislike how in literally the second scene she's in she's already spouting off to this guy she just met about "preserving the real her" and stuff. I mean, it's interesting stuff, but I think it'd be a bit better suited to a letting us inside her head sort of thing opposed to dialogue. I'd probably remember the scene a bit better if we weren't joking around about hoods and creamed bread for a good bit of that scene.

Oh and Crossing Field in the OP was good. Very catchy tune. I can actually be serious now when I say it was the highlight of the episode.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime