UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #76
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Official E3 Thread, zomg!

No flames from me. All three next-gen consoles are "failures" in their own ways.

Wii: at ~$250 a unit and $50 a game, it's the most attractive console for one's wallet. Add to that the fun Wiimote and you have a solid console. Right? Wrong. While the Wii is a very solid unit, it does still have its share of problems. It can't handle the most graphically-demanding titles, its visual sensor for the Wiimote is imperfect (or perhaps even too perfect, since the most common problem users have is that the cursor moves crazylike too fast, suggesting slight hand tremors and whatnot), and the library is limited depending on what your tastes are. (SSB:B, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy aren't for everybody nor should they be, despite what Mr. Iwata tried to convince us of yesterday. :P)

XBox 360: It has a few killer apps, but the console is very buggy. To the point that Microsoft has a $1 billion settlement outside of court to prevent a crushing blow from a class-action lawsuit that was filed after thousands of users lost their 400 hard-earned bucks to broken 360s.

PS3: It inherits the console problems of the XBox 360 and adds to them two of its own. The first is the most poorly-written OS software ever, so bad that SCE passed off this failure as "an invitation to Linux users to install their own OS on the machine." -_-; The second is Sony's notoriously cruel and ineffectual customer service. Not for the faint of heart. However, Sony has lowered the price of the 60 GB unit to $499 and is introducing an 80 GB unit for $599, meaning that the new "middle option" will probably be the most popular. At $499, it's still too much for my blood, but it's a step in the right direction. Also, Sony has some of the sexiest games for its console, including White Knight (hi-def in-game trailer) and (for me) the option to play 99% of the old PS2 library. (Hel~lo, Xenosaga 1, Xenosaga 2, and Xenosaga 3. :3)

So yeah. Definitely not going to hate on you for "liking the PS3." Fanboys who flame PS3 almost always flame the price and the machine itself. Notice that they never flame the library because (frankly) it's one of the sexiest looking libraries out there. (At least in visuals, if not in gameplay and stories, too.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #77
Talon87
時の彼方へ

August 27th!? Of this year, Joe? Fuck, I need to get a Wii now.

*thought he had until mid-October*

Also, I'm not going to have time to play the game until Christmas. But I should probably get the Wii now because it's going to be sold out through Christmas. >_<

August-September = sold out for Metroid
October = sold out in anticipation for the new games
November = sold out because Galaxy arrived
December = sold out because SSB:B arrived
January = still sold out

Man. >_<
Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #78
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

Yes indeed. xD

They're showing Raving Rabbids 2 right now, and it looks AMAZING. I'm so getting this game. =3

Edit: Omg, the Rabbids are playing Smoke on the Water. This game officially rocks. xD

Kay, they've moved on to MySims now, arguably one of the most overcomplicated games ever. :P
Old 07-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #79
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Wii: It can't handle the most graphically-demanding titles
From a Kotaku poster:

Quote:
History of the industry has taught anyone who pays attention that it is a postive feed back cycle. Sell the most consoles, get the most (and best) games; have the largest library, sell more consoles. Third parties are fickle that way, wanting to make money and all. They simply aren't going ignore the Wii phenominal sales and low development costs, in favor of dry humping the PS3 shiny new technology. The most recent example is the PS2 and the GC. The GC had the most power and better graphics, the PS2 had the user base. Guess who won. The PS3 has the most power and better graphics, the Wii has the fastest growing user base bar none. Guess who wins.
Hell, we're seeing the exact same thing in the handhelds market right now: PSP is more powerful, DS has the userbase and the games. So if the Wii continues to sell like crack in a whorehouse, I seriously doubt hardware specs are going to be much of an issue. And as I understand it, Sony fucked up since they're no longer making the 20g PS3, so getting on the Playstation bandwagon still requires $500 bucks for your trouble, except this time you get an extra 40 gigs. Whee. I wish they'd smarten the fuck up and release a cheaper version with a regular DVD reader instead of Blu-Ray (since trying to peddle their new DVD technology through a game console is, I dunno, fucking retarded), but that would make sense.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #80
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Huh, better watch that conference. Didn't know they were gonna have two.

Cool. August 27th, that's soon.

Who knows what will happen? Who cares what will happen? As long as I get to play things like Brawl and Galaxy, and other awesome stuff, I'm fine. I for one, am satisfied with the way the Wii library is right now, and it will only get better. Sure, I can get jealous of some games that I know to be impossible on the Wii (Little Blue Planet, Rock Band, Singstar and um... well, for now that's it, but you never know), but hey, it is a choice. An easy one at that, for me at least.

Oh, and I saw the Smoke on the Water video couple of days ago. Yeah, that was sweet. Definitely a parody of rockband.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 AM   #81
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Fan
Sure, I can get jealous of some games that I know to be impossible on the Wii (Little Blue Planet, Rock Band, Singstar and um... well, for now that's it, but you never know), but hey, it is a choice. An easy one at that, for me at least.
The Gamecube handled a microphone pretty well from what I understand with one of its Mario Party games, so I certainly don't see any reason why the Wii would have any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
PS3:Also, Sony has some of the sexiest games for its console, including White Knight (hi-def in-game trailer) and (for me) the option to play 99% of the old PS2 library. (Hel~lo, Xenosaga 1, Xenosaga 2, and Xenosaga 3. :3)
I'm honestly curious as to what the PS3 has now that you consider a must have game. Nothing in its library has really sparked more than "eh" interest from me, with the PSP library being much the same. I don't hate the idea of a PSP sometime down the road, even if I would just have it modded so I could play SNES roms.

I've got my priorities.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:09 AM   #82
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Roffle, PS3.

Most of my friends want a PS3. Well, actually, they don't. But they want Metal Gear Solid 4. So therefore, they have to buy a PS3 to get it. xd And unless Sony releases that apparent "Rumble Sixaxis" soon, then they're fucked, as rumble's an important part of MGS. Hideo Kojima needs to get smart and release it on 360 too.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:23 AM   #83
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Double post for good reason! xd

Watch nao plz.
Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Now for my first impressions. HOLY SHIT. xD This game looks fucking amazing. Hell, that one guy bringing down a Star Destroyer just with the force ON HIS OWN is enough to make me get this game.

Mother fucking Star Destroyer. They're like the pimps of outer space. And this guy just bitchslapped one right in the face.

Cannot wait. xd
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 AM   #84
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

If the Wii was gonna do karaoke, they would do it, but I don't see it happenly.

Also, Loco Roco on the PSP sounds like an awesome game. Not much else for me though.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #85
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
Now for my first impressions. HOLY SHIT. xD This game looks fucking amazing. Hell, that one guy bringing down a Star Destroyer just with the force ON HIS OWN is enough to make me get this game.
I'm surprised a Star Wars nut like you enjoyed that sequence. I saw that myself last night on television and my first thought was how preposterous and insulting to the Star Wars universe it was. They keep trying to trump the Force up like this ßber magical power instead of "a gift," and one of these days we're going to see a game where somebody uses the Force to draw planets closer to him. :P It's getting ridiculous.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM   #86
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Yeah, it's over the top, but I still think it's really cool. xD At first, I thought the ship was just crashing, so when they revealed the guy using the force I was all "zomg!", then he got his red lightsaber out and I "zomg!"ed again.

Yey evilness. =3
Old 07-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #87
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
Yeah, it's over the top, but I still think it's really cool. xD At first, I thought the ship was just crashing, so when they revealed the guy using the force I was all "zomg!", then he got his red lightsaber out and I "zomg!"ed again.

Yey evilness. =3
Truth be told, I thought it was crashing until reading your post. So forgive me if my post makes it sound like I got angry last night. Last night I thought, "Holy shit." This morning, I then thought "You gotta be fucking kidding me. :x"

And I'm a light Jedi. Always have been, always will be. (In story mode, anyway. Multiplayer I prefer to play "mixed" when it is allowed, and to switch back and forth between Light and Dark when you only have those two options. Hooray for Light Side's Force Heal, but also hooray for Dark Side's Force Lightning and Force Choke.)
Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #88
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Disappointed at the lack of PSP pricedrop. It had a tiny one recently but its still well above my range for a handheld ($99). Thing looks nicer then ever though.

I was lucky enough to have a friend loan me their PS3 while on vacation this past week and man ;_; I don't wanna give it back. I guess that's for another thread though. I downloaded the MGS4 and Little Big Planet trailers and wow! So awesome! Little Big Planet simply must be game of the year unless something goes horribly wrong.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #89
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Don't spare on your personal opinions of the PS3's operating system. (How often you had to put up with it, how much it was or was not a chore, how few or how many cool things it can do, etc.) When the console got released, I heard a lot of negative reviews about the system's software, but those were (a) mostly from tech junkies and (b) only at Christmastime. The complaints have all but vanished from the places I frequent, so I'm really curious to see if SCE got on the ball and patched up the bugs in no time flat.

Well, I'll be happy to read your thread regardless, since all I've heard is negative reviews about the machine but good reviews about the games.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #90
Nagashi
Pokemon Trainer

^I for one (PS3 owner) have had no problems whatsoever with the PS3, except that occasionally some very large videos I chuck on there take a while to save. Apart from that, it's been fine - I enjoy the simple interface, the PSNStore has been improving greatly recently (AC4 demo finally) and I'm now looking into chucking Linux on there.

PS MGS4 looks amazing. I want it now.
Nagashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games