UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #76
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Personally, I don't worry about entry hazards, but I said that to calm the people (Like ZJ) who do.
Of course, when battling I rarely switch, which is probably why. Myself, I'm actually hoping for more. I mean, If I can come up with some good ones (Flytrap: Grass-type Entry Hazard that works the opposite of Stealth Rock, Landmine: Deals more damage the heaver the switcher, Typhoon: Lowers speed of switcher- the lighter they are, the more the speed is lowered, Frozen Spikes: Greater chance of freezing switcher based similarly to SR, as well as quite a few more), I'm pretty confident GF will come up with some great ones. When people complain about SR... well, usually I just sigh at their weakness, especially as I've had at least one pokemon weak to Rock in every single one of my teams, in fact, in one I have three.
Looking at what you've just said, I'm going to go ahead and make an educated guess that you use a lot of stall teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamencia View Post
I'm seriously wondering why Smogon hasn't dropped Magnezone down to UU, and yet Rhyperior, Alakazam and Cress are all there now.
Smogon tiers are horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I really hope we don't get more entry traps. As we've proved, they're major game changers and I'm not sure the competitive side will like something that big along with it. At least I wouldn't.
Half of Smogon who can't beat entry traps will BAWWW and half of Smogon who stall like hell with be happy. Either way, Smogon loses because 95% of their battlers are terrible.
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #77
Emp
Volcano Badge

Treep, are you being serious? I've seen a few of your battles on youtube and your not that great... but the majority smogon players are really good. They dedicate a lot more time to team building and damage calculations than anyone else in the fandom, and their tiers are really thought out. On the subject of Entry Hazards, I think a few others would be fine as long as they didn't stack. That would be seriously broken, SR already dominates the metagame.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #78
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Only problem I have with smogon is the retarded arguments when I used the read their forums. Aruging shit like if the hail glitch is legal and should be in the online program. Also they lose their shits if anyone does an evasion move, despite there being lots of ways to counter stuff like that.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #79
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

Yes I'm serious. Unless people from Smogon use OUs they suck. It's the same standard team used 100 times over, and if someone get's to 1st on their ladder and posts the team, the exact same team gets coppied and used by badkids.

Also you do know that Yanmega used to be in Smogon UU? Cress is in there FFS. Cress.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #80
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Only problem I have with smogon is the retarded arguments when I used the read their forums. Aruging shit like if the hail glitch is legal and should be in the online program. Also they lose their shits if anyone does an evasion move, despite there being lots of ways to counter stuff like that.
I think debating the Hail glitch is a fair point if you're building a battle simulator: you have to simulate the games, warts and all.

Evasion moves...let's not get into this argument. Again.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #81
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I am not much of a competitive battler, but from my experience, I can honestly say that I love Yanmega.

Smogon is dumb.

Also THE HAX CALCULATOR LOLOLOLOLOLOL

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #82
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
I am not much of a competitive battler, but from my experience, I can honestly say that I love Yanmega.

Smogon is dumb.

Also THE HAX CALCULATOR LOLOLOLOLOLOL
The hax calculator thing turned out to be a joke (they revealed it flipped a coin if the margin of victory was 2-0 or less).

And for all the tards talking about how "OMG POKEMON X IS UU/NU/PU/FU": the tiers fluctuate based on the current meta (and, IIRC) Shoddy usage stats. Tentacruel used to fluctuate between BL/UU for a while due to its abilities as a spinner, for example. And while Yanmega is cool, with a 50% stealth rock weak you have to be pretty fucking badass to be in OU on a consistent basis, which Yanmega probably is not.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #83
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Yanmega is a seriously underrated lead.

And you wouldn't strike me as someone who defends Smogon, Reed. Though I do agree that the tiers have some foundation, it does seem a bit inconsistent since it's based solely off their usage. Sure, it's objective, but it's not an entirely accurate means of measuring the potential or usefulness of Pokemon.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #84
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Tiers are an indicator of how good a pokemon is. As simple as that.
Salamence is OU because it's super. Yanmega would be OU but is BL due to SR. Donphan is UU because usage and it's not overpowered there.
And so on. I defend smogon lol
Old 02-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #85
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Tiers are an indicator of how good a pokemon is. As simple as that.

...you clearly haven't been reading this discussion.

Tiers are based off monthly usage rates with benchmarks that allow them to qualify for certain levels. Sure, they're related to their ability since the more useful they are, the more use they get, but a lot of good Pokemon that could hold their own in Standard are NU/UU solely because they were outclassed. Flygon, who does fantastically in OU, was UU before Garchomp got bumped to Ubers because it was TERRIBLY outclassed by it's Ground/Dragon relative.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 02-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #86
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:

Tiers are based off monthly usage rates with benchmarks that allow them to qualify for certain levels. Sure, they're related to their ability since the more useful they are, the more use they get, but a lot of good Pokemon that could hold their own in Standard are NU/UU solely because they were outclassed. Flygon, who does fantastically in OU, was UU before Garchomp got bumped to Ubers because it was TERRIBLY outclassed by it's Ground/Dragon relative.
I think you just proved his point. Flygon is a poor choice when Garchomp is available, but much better when it isn't. Tier bans will generally do that.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #87
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Grr. UPN is constantly deleting posts at random. Remind me to tell Kuno about that.

Also I didn't know you both played competive. I knew Chozo did because I saw his account on smogon but not Jeri lol.

Anyway Reed basically said it all. It's like this. Very good: OU. Too powerful for UU but not good nough for OU: BL. Used less and not overpowered in UU: UU. Stuff that sucks: NU.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #88
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>I think you just proved his point. Flygon is a poor choice when Garchomp is available, but much better when it isn't. Tier bans will generally do that.

"How good a Pokemon is" is poor choice of words, then.

There are some Pokemon who do really well competitively, even when their superior equivalent is around (like Flygon) or are good in niches but not popular enough to get bumped up (e.g. Wailren).

And yes, I did dabble in competitive for a while. I wasn't fantastic but I have a pretty decent knowledge base about it's workings.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #89
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

Pokemon tiers shouldn't be based on usage, it's a terrible system.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #90
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Oh god.
What else to base it upon? Basically, if it doesn't get used much in higher tiers(not applicable in OU) AND if it doesn't overcentralize the tier, it's in the tier.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #91
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

Power.

Alakazam is a good sweeper and rapes UU, doesn't make it UU because nobody's using it in OU.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #92
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
>I think you just proved his point. Flygon is a poor choice when Garchomp is available, but much better when it isn't. Tier bans will generally do that.

"How good a Pokemon is" is poor choice of words, then.

There are some Pokemon who do really well competitively, even when their superior equivalent is around (like Flygon) or are good in niches but not popular enough to get bumped up (e.g. Wailren).

And yes, I did dabble in competitive for a while. I wasn't fantastic but I have a pretty decent knowledge base about it's workings.
Eh, I think Flygon's absence when Garchomp was in town really shows how effective it is when its "superior" was around. Yeah, I could run a CB Flygon, but SD Outrage Garchomp hurts a lot more.

And niche Pokemon by definition aren't usually as powerful, because they require more concessions in team building or outside factors to make them useful. Walrein has one trick up its sleeve and requires you to build a team around it to make that trick work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treepandaone View Post
Power.

Alakazam is a good sweeper and rapes UU, doesn't make it UU because nobody's using it in OU.
OU has a ton of steel types, Alakazam's defenses are shit, as of Platinum Trick is no longer one of Alakazam's unique selling points, and Choice Scarf + priority attacks means Alakazam's high speed is no longer the defensive buffer it once was.

Shall I continue, or have I made my point?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #93
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

I didn't say that it should be OU, I said that nobody is using it in OU and for that reason alone, it shouldn't just be bumped down to UU which is what Smogon does.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #94
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treepandaone View Post
I didn't say that it should be OU, I said that nobody is using it in OU and for that reason alone, it shouldn't just be bumped down to UU which is what Smogon does.
By this logic, Caterpie is totally OU.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #95
Lady Kuno

Hey now Caterpie can fuck up those Luvdiscs pretty good.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #96
Emp
Volcano Badge

Why do upn threads always go off on a tangent? Hasn't a pokesundae episode just aired? I might be getting confused with last week but I'm pretty sure there where supposed to be some big revelations

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #97
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Why do upn threads always go off on a tangent? Hasn't a pokesundae episode just aired? I might be getting confused with last week but I'm pretty sure there where supposed to be some big revelations
Better off tangent then nobody posting ever.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #98
Emp
Volcano Badge

I know I didn't mean anything by it, I just expexted some info on the new gen as opposed to smogon tiers is all :x

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #99
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
By this logic, Caterpie is totally OU.
Then whoever judged the power and usability of Caterpie incorrectly is a moron.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #100
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Yes. Yes it CAN BE VERY WELL bumbed down to UU just because nobody's using it in OU. Then a series of tests will begin. If it's overcentralizing, OK, BL. If not, it remains in UU.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON