UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #26
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>On topic: My mother always said guys wouldn't want to date me if they saw the size of my Pokémon plushie collection.

On a slightly related topic, I think my grandmother was afraid that I was gay because of my substantial plush collection, Pokemon and otherwise.

Yeah, it was interesting seeing her buying me plush toys at 15 12. >>;

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #27
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Oh, ho boy. Ho boy.

Back when I was a little grade 2 kid, pokemon was TEH NEW THANG. I was hooked. I knew this korean kid named AJ (what a coincidence...), who taught me loads.

Then I moved. At my new school, grade 3, pokemon wasn't cool anymore. I still thought it was. I ended up degrading into the resident class clown. Grade 5 I started pulling myself out of that mold.

Now, here I am, Grade 10. Not the class clown anymore as much. People say hi to me. Not as many practical jokes played on me.

But I'm still known as 'the pokemon kid'. >_>
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #28
Stlbk
taco...

Send a message via AIM to Stlbk
Articuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Okay, Steel, ... seriously? You need to drive up to Lafayette, wife in tow, and check out my apartment. Maybe then you can be your full Steelie self and your wife will always say, "Well, at least he's not Talon."

My living room's main wall:

My bedroom's back wall (wall w/ bed), door side:

Again, but this time with ruler for sense of scale:

To thine own self, be true.

Wow, wish you had taken larger photos!
I kind of see them, I was able to see some Pokemon on the wall, vagueness.

Though in terms of art, I don't think I would display Pokemon/Manga images on my walls.
I do enjoy Japanese culture as a whole, so I often put art pieces I enjoy around my house.

Thanks to the internet, I can let out my inner Stlbk and battle some of them Pogeymanz till my heart is content.
However I still don't think I could ever go to a nationwide tournament.
Probably cause I think they cap the age at 16 these days, the other half is because I'm ashamed! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Stlbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #29
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

>grade 2 kid

Oh, that stings.

すれ違うだけの距離が歯痒い 手を伸ばせば届きそうなのに
意味があるのなら教えて欲しい 締め付ける胸の痛みの
「イツダッテ ウソミタイ アイシタテ ノ ユメミライ」

f i z z y b u b b l e s | w i l d f u t u r e

Quote:
morningstar - Today at 12:46 PM
her whole being is Arashi

AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #30
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Talon: my suggestion - find a better segue between Wooper and Vileplume. Rattata and Cherubi are good on their own but they don't have enough common color to work well together. It looks awkward and just leaves a visual break in the otherwise smooth color wheel you have going. I'd suggest swapping out Cherubi since you do have the purple in the Wooper picture.

As for what to replace it with, I can't be sure. Might I suggest a subtler pink or a Pokemon with a combination?

Things that come to mind are Clefable and Mime Jr but I'm not sure if either of those work for you.

[/artgeeking]

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #31
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

>I hate Wooper

You're not doing much to try and dispel "TALON IS ALWAYS WRONG", are you?

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
That picture ruined Jasmine for me though. Reminds me a little bit too much of Dahlia Hawthorne, which brings forth RAGE.
As I discovered last autumn when playing Heart Gold in Japanese, you didn't know Jasmine to begin with. American Jasmine (Jasmine) and Japanese Jasmine (Mikan) may as well be seen as loosely-related given how much was lost in translation of Mikan's mannerisms.

I'll post a thread on this.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not asking for tips, Jeri. I like the way it looks. Thanks, though, but I think I already got it right.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #34
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

...sorry got a little carried away there.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Np. This is why no two interior designs look alike. Everyone's tastes differ, and there's no accounting for any of them.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #36
Stlbk
taco...

Geez Jeri, how dare you suggest Pokemon art changes! :x

You better start hiding your PokeArt Shame!
I think it's higher on the scale than normal PokeShame.

Matter of fact, it ranks up there with my PokeMusic Shame, as I thoroughly enjoy the first Pokemon CD release back in the day...so sad!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #37
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Aside from that one qualm though I do like your sense of color. The transitions are very creative and it takes the eye a minute to figure out just what it is connecting most of the pictures. Even Sentret > Vileplume seems to work out despite not sharing common colors because of Sentret's lean towards the red while Weedle leans towards yellow.

Whoops I think my gay is showing.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #38
Stlbk
taco...

Graveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whoops I think my gay is showing.
Is it Rainbow colored?

Or is it just Pink?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #39
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Steel View Post
Is it Rainbow colored?

Or is it just Pink?
It's RAINBOW, of course~

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #40
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

For what it's worth, here is my own shameful story (more shameful now with Kind making my age show so painfully):

I was in year 8 when my best friend was like "omg there's this great commercial you should see, they always play it in the mornings". I'd been watching the morning cartoons on that particular channel for years already, but I guess I'd never taken any notice of Pokémon when it started airing. Haven't the foggiest why. So I started paying more attention to the TV and eventually realised (to my chagrin) that I wasn't watching for the commercials anymore. *cough*

I recall that we were assigned a class project in which we were to design a superhero and come up with a backstory for them, draw a little comic, so on, so forth. One of my classmates asked if he could tweak the idea and do a project on Pokémon, for which he was teased mercilessly for a long, long time. Pokémon was never cool amongst my peers. >_> So I quickly learned to hide my secret growing fondness for the franchise.

I continued playing/watching in secret, although sometimes I'd let on... just a little bit. I made friends with a girl who lived interstate (her aunt and uncle were old friends of my parents) and she was big into Pokémon, so I finally had somebody to share my hobby with, yay. When we were in year 10, she moved over to our neck of the woods and started going to school with me. Now that I had an ally, I was free to admit my Pogeylove... only to find out that my best friend had been watching the anime secretly the whole time too. D'oh. :x

Quote:

Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #41
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I was never really ashamed about being a Pokemon fan because it came in big, I rode the wave of popularity until it died and I kept it as a hobby, and then I caught it again when DP came out and all my nerd friends started to get back in to it.

...most of last year, I discussed Battle Tower teams with a Senior in the halls and before band practice.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #42
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Pokémon wasn't cool at my middle school either, my best friend Clinton and I parted ways for the summer and we both ended up buying Pokémon red and blue over the break, only to deny any knowledge of it from eachother when we returned. A couple of weeks later we talked on the phone and we admitted the Pokémon addiction, and I decided never to let it bug me again. Everyone who ripped on me from then on seemed to know a little too much for someone who didn't watch the show all the time, so with one look I was able to make most of them fluster and walk off.

Still out, and feelin' great.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #43
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

In year 11, I made friends with this guy who was a huge anime/manga geek - you know, the type who proudly labels themselves as an otaku. I remember one day we went into the city for a class trip and he told me that he knew of this SUPARAWESOME anime store and dragged me along to go check it out with him. He ended up buying a model of... some mecha thing... and I got an adorable Marill plushie.

We caught up with my group of girlfriends and they teased him for his nerdy purchase. "She bought something too!" he declared, trying his hardest to throw me under the bus. "Yeah, but hers is cute," they replied enthusiastically, taking turns hugging the plush.

Quote:

Old 06-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have a different story to share ...

I was never ashamed of it. These shameful stories you guys are telling remind me of when I was in 3rd grade and I loved Power Rangers, but even then I wasn't the kid who bottled it up inside. I was the kid who (literally) drew them all over his Parent/Teacher conference folder, got made fun of by other kids, and then told them off, impressing other kids around me and getting them to say, "Yeah, I actually like it, too!" (Okay, it also helped that the teacher came to my rescue. lol)

But when Pokémon came out, I was already in the 8th grade and had a well-established school identity:
- Talon is the school genius.
- Talon is eccentric, as per his genius.
- Talon has nerdy friends, normal friends, and even a few friends in the group of kids with straight D's and F's. Nobody messes with Talon.

No girl would want to date me ever, of course, but by the same token no guy would ever pick a fight with me, would ever make fun of me to my face, etc. I was sort of an untouchable member of the high school society, I guess. No clue why. (Well, 8th grade was my last year of middle school, not a year of high school. But you get the picture.)

So anyway, here's my story ...

AUGUST 1998: Talon watches DuckTales on UPN23 when he comes home from school.

SEPTEMBER 1998: Talon catches his first episode of Pokémon, "Battle Aboard the St. Anne." It is on the same channel, UPN23, as DuckTales. The only reason he even saw it.

SEPTEMBER 1998 +1 DAY: Intrigued, Talon makes a point of tuning in to Pokemon again to see how it ends. The Japanimation brings back fond memories of a movie he saw years ago at daycare, "My Neighbor Totoro," and of the children's Bible show "Super Book" he saw as a kid on Saturday mornings.

Talon has to leave halfway through the episode for an orthodontist appointment. He has only been exposed to Pokemon for 1.5 episodes so far. And already he is hooked, BEGGING his mom to let him watch the episode all the way and then go to the orthodontist. (Mom 1, Talon 0.)

SEPTEMBER 1998 +2 DAYS: Talon catches "Island of the Giant Pokemon." Best. Episode. Ever. Talon decides, "Okay, I want my sister to see this." Talon's sister doesn't get home until Pokemon is long over, y'see.

SEPTEMBER 1998 +3 DAYS: Talon hooks up Dad's VCR and records "Tentacool and Tentacruel" for his sister. They watch it that night in Talon's bedroom while eating dinner on the floor. Dad and Mom are concerned.

The next ... roughly three years, I religiously recorded Pokemon to blank VHS cassettes. I still have them all. (The quality isn't worth it for transcoding them into digital videos, honestly. It was just a home VCR, and UPN 23 was one of the weakest broadcasting signals our house got.)

The end? Oh, right. Shame. Almost forgot.

So, I go to school. I discuss Pokemon with friends, classmates, everyone and anyone who will listen. Initially, all of my best friends tune in and watch it and say they like it. But it takes less than a week for two or three of them to quit, saying, "Ehh, I'm done." Then a few more weeks before the others all quit b/c of the stigma of liking Pokemon. Me? I keep liking it. I keep letting it be known I like it. And nothing changes in my life. People don't say of me, "Talon the Pokemon kid." They say of me, "Talon, the eccentric genius kid." It's just that now instead of saying "he likes _________" (where ______ could be anything) they might now have said "oh yeah, he likes Pokemon."

DECEMBER 1998: a classmate and I are assigned to put together a children's Christmasbook for French class. (All groups are given that same assignment.) He and I meet up, and (as per my suggestion) we incorporate Pokemon into it. Slowly but surely, it becomes Pikachu's Christmas Adventure. Basically, Pikachu saves Christmas, meets Santa, etc.

And?

The class loved it. Including MANY of the kids who were notorious for bashing on Pokemon. They clapped, liked it a lot, etc. IIRC it won some sort of award like "best project" or some such. Dunno if that was a formal award or not. But yeah: the class really liked it.

Pikachu. In French. Saving Christmas.

I did not live the childhood you all lived. :P Ya bunch of wusses. ;P
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #45
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

Personally, I was always "that Simpsons kid".

Just because I liked people to know it was Matt Groening's birthday...

Quote:

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Story #2 ...

In 9th grade, I decided I want to procure a 100% identical vest, pair of pants, and shirt as those worn by Brock. It's since become a lifelong goal since finding an exact replica of his vest has proven nigh-on impossible. (Right cut but not the right color. Right cut and color but not the right number of pockets. Right number of pockets and color but not the right cut. ENDLESS LOOP.)

Anyway, in 9th grade, the goal barely a week old, I buy an orange cotton t-shirt at Kohl's that is 100% identical (1-0-0-% identical) in color and cut to Brock's. 1 of 3, GET.

I beg Mom to drive me around the city looking for a pair of pants that is the right color of brown. You can imagine her vexation. But eventually, we find a pair that is made of the right material, has the right look to it, and is 100% the exact shade of brown as that seen on the TV screen. 2 of 3, GET.

I don't have the vest, but I'm eager to wear what I do have to school anyway. I want to see if anybody will be able to figure it out. "Hey! You look like Brock from Pokemon!" [insert YGO:TAS quote here, I know you're all dying to, "Screw the rules, I'm in love with Nurse Joy", etc]

So, what happens?

1. It was October 1999.
2. I'm wearing chocolate brown pants and a solid-orange shirt.
3. I'm slightly chubby.

"Talon, you look like a pumpkin!"

Shame? Yes.

PokéShame? No. Nobody got the reference.

I did not live the childhood you all lived. :P
Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Story #3 ...

These are on my Wishlist of All Time wishlist, visible to all friends of mine on Facebook. Teachers, classmates, family, friends of family, you name it, you got it: if they're on Facebook and befriended me, they can see this list.

See anything familiar? *points to bottom row* Gee, I wonder who wears a red hat with a black stripe in it or a black hat with a gold stripe in it. (Yes, I would need to get the green Pokeball part of Ash's either embroidered on or else affixed some other way.)

The Yu-Gi-Oh thing you see in the center? A request for 24-karat life-size Millenium Items. (Well, just the Ring, really, as it's my favorite.) As one friend said, "ARE YOU NUTS!? THOSE'D COST 10K APIECE!" Oohhhhhhhhhh, but wouldn't it be the best 10k ever? ~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #48
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

You want Jurassic Park?

I remember it was one of my childhood dreams to own a Ford Explorer painted like the electric ones in Jurassic Park. I never had any shame about that, even if they were terribly colored.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #49
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

I didn't really have any shame about how much I liked Pokemon back when it was massively popular. But then, I was seven. By the time I hit middle school, I still didn't have any real shame about it, but it wasn't so cool anymore. Didn't get much crap about it, except a comment from one classmate who asked if I was still into Pokemon, and reacted to my "Yes" with a sort of "Really?" comment that, given her tone, was implying, "You nerd!" Got less vocal about it over the years, still didn't really get any crap over it.

There was an amusing moment around fourth or fifth grade where one of my best friends had to gently break the news to me about how she didn't really like Pokemon anymore and it was dying.

My reaction: "Oh, okay." Didn't give a rat's arse.

Nowadays, as a college student, people seem pretty laid-back about it. A classmate brought in Pokemon Red on a quiet day, and a few others waxed nostalgic over Gen I/II briefly. The one time I was vocal about it, though, was when I dressed as Marill for the Halloween party (I still fit in the costume), and got some amused comments over that. (Coincidentally, a pair of students were dressed as Team Rocket.) A friend gently broke it to me that Pokemon is "never coming back." tungsten
Old 06-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #50
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Cool list. I own 2 of the items and my personal version of a third, from what I can make out.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON