UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Dumbo II: Return to the Skies

I wonder if I've outgrown the infamous "destroying my childhood" attitude so many would take to Disney trying to milk their old IP. There was a time when the "Disney Princess" brand would have made me lost faith in humanity. But I feel no hatred, no malice. No urge to settle an old score. Just emptiness.

Still, this is kind of funny. Have you seen an elephant fly...

in 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variety
If you think this is Disney's greatest April Fools joke, you haven't seen an elephant fly.

On Tuesday, the Walt Disney Company announced, via press release, plans to produce a computer-animated sequel to the 1941 animated classic, "Dumbo".

The film is slated for a full theatrical release in 2017. No staff selections have been announced.

This isn't the first time "Dumbo" was headed for a sequel. Like many Disney properties, "Dumbo 2" was originally conceived in the mid 1990's as a direct-to-video film, with an intended release date of late 2001. However, a number of factors, including the downsizing of Disney's Florida animation studios and decreased box office receipts from a string of less-than-successful theatrical films, put the project into development hell. In 2006, the project was cancelled by John Lasseter when he was elected as Disney's Chief Creative Officer.

"The love and warmth of the original film wasn't there." said Lasseter. "If we'd fully produced [that 'Dumbo' sequel] it would have been 'Dumbo' in name only."

"This time, we're getting it right."

The timing is unusual, as in last month's annual shareholders meeting, Disney announced that a live action adaption of "Dumbo" was also in pre-production, with Tim Burton attached to the project in an unspecified role. Burton's involvement would suggest a darker, more whimsical approach to the material than would a direct sequel in the spirit of the original film.

The announcement caps off a month of ambitious announcements by Disney, who previously announced live-action adaptions of "Mulan", "The Jungle Book" and a sequel to the $1.3B blockbuster "Frozen", tentatively titled "Frozen 2".
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Dumbo_II
Horrific string of live-action Disney films to flatten your faces
Variety

I made up the tag-line "Return to the Skies" but I bet it'll have a stupid title like that. Or it'll end up like the nightmarish, CGI Tinker-Bell film.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 03-31-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Didn't you hear about the live action Bambi coming out summer 2016.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I noticed this while searching for the YouTube topic. I can't find any new info on the Dumbo movie, so it may have been shelved indefinitely. The Vanity page has 404'd, too.

Beauty and the Beast looks to be atrocious and Will Smith was cast in Aladdin (as the genie). As for the Mulan remake, it's definitely been pushed back.

Why won't let Disney let sleeping dogs lie?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Because they want all of your money. And nostalgia sells.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment