UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #26
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Well, the original series needed to introduce us all to universe as a whole. Legend of Korra only needs to show us the changes since the last series and requires a lot less explanation.

Also, Legend of Korra is planned to only be 26 episodes long while Last Airbender was 52. You need to pick up and go right away when you have only half the air time.

Also, the writers are much more to grips with it and such, having had experience on the original series. In the same way, the first two episodes of Angel are better than the first two episodes of Buffy.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
deoxys
Fog Badge

Was about to say, 61 episodes.

I'm a little depressed Korra is only 26 episodes at 2 seasons.

Spoiler: show
If Book 1 is Air, what's Book 2?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #28
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Was about to say, 61 episodes.

I'm a little depressed Korra is only 26 episodes at 2 seasons.

If Book 1 is Air, what's Book 2?
Energy, maybe :o
Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #29
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I will definitely be watching these new episodes tomorrow, if I remember.

Avatar is in my top 5 favorite shows of all time, I'd wager
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #30
Akinai
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Akinai
That was amazingly good, despite not having watched Avatar in years and missing the last season. Will definitely be watching this one, shorter plot-line or not.
Akinai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In other news, PokeHunter and Akinai decided to watch Star Wars Episode III this weekend. It was PH's first Star Wars movie and Akinai's third after Episodes IV and II. They've announced plans to watch the third Alien movie next weekend -- neither has seen the first two -- as well as Back to the Future III the following weekend and The Matrix: Revolution the weekend after that. PH declined to comment whether he had seen any of the other BTTF or Matrix films but Akinai had this to say: "My friends tell me they're really good movies. I can't wait to see one for myself."
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #32
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
In other news, PokeHunter and Akinai decided to watch Star Wars Episode III this weekend. It was PH's first Star Wars movie and Akinai's third after Episodes IV and II. They've announced plans to watch the third Alien movie next weekend -- neither has seen the first two -- as well as Back to the Future III the following weekend and The Matrix: Revolution the weekend after that. PH declined to comment whether he had seen any of the other BTTF or Matrix films but Akinai had this to say: "My friends tell me they're really good movies. I can't wait to see one for myself."
I lol'd.

Just watched the first two eps of Korra.

Holy cow.

I really liked it. It was nice because it's similar enough to The Last Airbender, but also different enough so that it doesn't outright feel like the same. Definitely looking forward to more.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

At least they didn't watch Serenity before watching Firefly.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #34
Akinai
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
At least they didn't watch Serenity before watching Firefly.
...I plead the fifth?

Also I attempted catching the last season of Avatar a while back, but couldn't find the full episodes anywhere and didn't feel like watching segments.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Loki

That last season was soooooo important.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #36
Emp
Volcano Badge

I was really looking forward to a lengthy review post there Talon

But yeah, there are 3 things that Korra spoils for non-TLA watchers. Don't open this link if you haven’t seen TLA. The original series is amazing and not too long so just watch it!

1) Aang saving the world – Sure, this was a given, but the odds were stacked against Aang throughout the series so knowing for sure he’s going to defeat Ozai would just kinda kill any suspense you’d feel watching it blind.
2) Aang and Zuko becoming friends – It would just spoil the first series for me on a serious level. Sure, Zuko was never truly evil, but why would you want to ruin Zuko’s journey from villain to hero.
3) Aang and Katara getting together – I loved the build up throughout the series, and I cried manly tears at the final scene. The hints of them getting together were always subtle and well done.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #37
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sorry, emp. I'm still debating whether to start watching now or to wait for the entire thing to finish airing first. If it's one thing the original Avatar proved to me -- and I was very, very fortunate to get to watch the entire series at my own pace since it was all already out -- it's that these guys are the masters of leaving you wanting more. I'm not sure I want to endure that sort of weekly agony for the next 25 weeks.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Talon makes a good point. I managed to watch all three seasons pretty much one after the other, so I might just wait for this season to finish airing first then get it all at once.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #39
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
>Talon
Oh shut it, alright? I get the point.

I haven't spoiled myself on anything other than the end anyway, so Last Airbender is pretty much something I could still pick up and enjoy.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #40
Akinai
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke_Hunter View Post
I haven't spoiled myself on anything other than the end anyway, so Last Airbender is pretty much something I could still pick up and enjoy.
That and it's easy to accidentally discover the ending just by skimming Wiki or Tvtrope articles on the show.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #41
Emp
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Talon makes a good point. I managed to watch all three seasons pretty much one after the other, so I might just wait for this season to finish airing first then get it all at once.
To each his own I guess, but I think watching a series on a week-by-week basis is a lot better. In speed runs I don’t think the episodes have as much effect, as you go onto the next one before the last one sinks in – there’s less time spent speculating and thinking about each episode. I’d rather spread it out than watch it start to finish in a few days, and at least then you don’t have to hide away and risk reading any spoilers!

> Emp trying to encourage Korra discussion

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I loved the two episodes.

That said, I absolutely hate Korra. She is such a complete bitch.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #43
deoxys
Fog Badge

Really? I loved her. Her spunkyness and hotheadedness was great to her character. And it's pretty clear she's a bit arrogant, and that that will change over time.

She's kind of like the Rainbow Dash of the Avatars.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
To each his own I guess, but I think watching a series on a week-by-week basis is a lot better.
Would you read one chapter a week of the newest Harry Potter book? Would you watch 30 minutes a week of The King's Speech over the course of four weeks? Would you play Mass Effect 3 for only half an hour each week and thus prevent yourself from beating it until some time in 2014 at the likeliest soonest? Of course you wouldn't. So while it's certainly true to say "to each his own," I hope you realize why those of us on my side of the fence are furrowing our brows at your post just now. ^^;

The only reasons I know of for watching a show as it airs are:
  1. to be able to discuss that show with others who are much too impatient to wait for the entire thing to come out on DVD / download
  2. to protect oneself from spoilers
  3. (back in the day but no longer applicable) because VHS releases are both too expensive and too unreliable for the average fan
  4. to savor the show for as long as possible, to prevent oneself from hastily gobbling the whole thing up
These are not bad reasons. Not at all! But for me, sometimes these reasons win out (see: the animes I choose to watch as they air) and sometimes they do not (see: the animes I deliberately choose to sit out on). For example, Reason #2 and Reason #4 are the main reasons why I feel the need to watch Fate/Zero as it airs. Reason #1 is why I watched Kaiji Season 2 as it aired despite experiencing first-hand the weekly torture in between episodes when watching Season 1 as it aired. Reason #2 all on its own is a fantastic reason to try and watch a show like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as it airs if you're plugged in to huge social networks with others who will be discussing the show in full spoiler glory (e.g. sites like Reddit or 4chan). But depending on the series, sometimes my desire to be in control of my pacing trumps my desire pertaining to these other factors. Like with MLP:FiM Season 2, for example. And now perhaps with The Legend of Korra.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #45
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
1. to be able to discuss that show with others
This would have had been the polite version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
who are much too impatient to wait for the entire thing to come out on DVD / download
And then you sounded like an ass. Seriously?

I think watching on a weekly basis is great. It promotes people to watch the show and make comments and reviews on each individual episode as opposed to the series as a whole. At the same time, they patiently wait in suspense for the next episode and make their speculation on what comes next.

It promotes socialization and community.

Watching a whole series in one shot has it's merits. Usually time flexibility, but then you also isolate yourself until you've seen the show, making yourself a hermit of sorts. You also don't have to wait in suspense between each episode because you have them all right in front of you. Who cares if Aang might have failed to stop the Fire nation by the end of the episode? Skipping those end credits and opening sequence later, you already see how he fixes it.

So is it really less patient to watch it weekly? It's certainly less of something.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I think watching on a weekly basis is great. It promotes people to watch the show and
If by "watch the show" you mean "watch the initial broadcast run," then while you're correct I can honestly say that I don't give a damn and neither does the future. 99.99% of people who will ever read Oliver Twist will do so not as it's coming out in serial form in 19th century London but instead in bound book form long after its serial run has ended. 99.99% of people who will ever watch Star Trek: the Next Generation will not do so in the 1980s and '90s while it was on the air but instead in the 21st century (and perhaps even later than that). More people will watch Charlie Chaplin's films after he's died than will have done while he was alive. More people will discover the Beatles music after the last Beatle passes away than have listened to the Beatles thus far. And more people will watch Avatar like Dave and I did, after the show had finished airing, than will have watched it while it was still airing brand-new on Nickelodeon.

If by "watch the show" you mean "experience the story," then no, I don't feel that watching the show weekly helps to promote Avatar awareness any better than watching it in one go and recommending it to friends. In the past year, I have watched over 20 animes in part or in full as they were airing. You know how many of those programs my friends IRL picked up? Zip. But when I told them about how life-changingly awesome Avatar: the Last Airbender was, when I told them "I will happily loan you the series," you know what they said? "Well, we'll check it out." And they did. And they both loved it. This doesn't disprove that watching it weekly can't help raise awareness: all it's meant to disprove is your belief that watching it weekly is somehow better at raising awareness for the show than watching it after it's already finished airing. I'll repeat: I don't think it makes any difference whether you watch it as it's coming out or whether you watch it later if your goal is to get more people interested in the series. The series either stands on its own two feet or it doesn't.

Quote:
And then you sounded like an ass.
In that post, no. You wanted to get offended by a harmless and inoffensive opinion and by golly you did. In this post? You damn well better believe it, buster, 'cause you went and asked for it.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #47
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Really? I loved her. Her spunkyness and hotheadedness was great to her character. And it's pretty clear she's a bit arrogant, and that that will change over time.

She's kind of like the Rainbow Dash of the Avatars.
Hotheadedness and arrogance are not traits I particularly enjoy in any character, ever. Especially not in a female character. I hated Katara in the first Avatar because she was a "strong hotheaded female" i.e. bitch. That personality just gets on my nerves more than anything.

I sympathized with Tenzin the entire time. I haven't really seen Korra's good qualities yet.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #48
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
I'm not sure I want to endure that sort of weekly agony for the next 25 weeks.
Quote:
Reason #1 is why I watched Kaiji Season 2 as it aired despite experiencing first-hand the weekly torture in between episodes when watching Season 1 as it aired.
You urged me to watch one episode of Kaiji S1 a week to achieve the "full experience". '~'

inb4 "EXCEPTION!"
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #49
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
To each his own I guess, but I think watching a series on a week-by-week basis is a lot better. In speed runs I don’t think the episodes have as much effect, as you go onto the next one before the last one sinks in – there’s less time spent speculating and thinking about each episode. I’d rather spread it out than watch it start to finish in a few days, and at least then you don’t have to hide away and risk reading any spoilers!
Fair points Emp. Thing is that while I watched The Last Airbender (and most other stuff - DS9, Friendship is Magic, Farscape, Game of Thrones) in one big shot, I still felt anxious whenever there was something like a cliffhanger crop up - even if I only had to wait through the credits/next intro for the next episode. When I do watch a series in syndication I hate it when you wait to see the next one and it starts eating away at you (or maybe that's just me?).

Also I've never overly cared for spoilers so that's not as big an issue for me. It probably depends on both the show and the viewer.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #50
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
>Korra's personality

I normally don't like that sort of personality either, but I'm already attached to her. I think it's a nice change up from the last series, really, where no "good guy" is as arrogant as Korra is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment