UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #76
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Heads up, the DS version is actually more difficult than the PS1 version, which I am pretty sure was actually easier than the JPN version, or it was the SNES release (one of them was). Also the PS1 version also had seriously bad loading stuff. And for FFIV DS, look up a guide on augments and learn to love the hell out of buffs and debuffs.

Get!:

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Tales of the Abyss
Dragon Quest VIII
Digital Devil Saga I and II
Arc: Twilight of the Spirits
Xenosaga II
Valkyrie Profile 2
Suikoden IV
Suikoden Tactics
Jade Cocoon 2

Beat!
Fire Emblem Awakening:
Amazingly fun, I have really only beat this in that I have beaten the boss. I still have a ton of support grinding to do, as well as the DLC and making MC even more of a murdering machine!

Played:
Tales of the Abyss
I got this a little while ago, and hadn't really done much with it, but recently I picked it up again to play. I have been powering through this, and like most Tales of games the battle system is really fun, also free run destroys some bosses. Though whoever decided how sidequests should be handled in this game should be shot.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #77
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Beat: Dark Souls

I have been stabbed, slashed, crushed, drowned, thrown from great heights, zapped with lightning, set on fire, stuck in lava, cursed and eaten more times than I can count, but I finally got through the damn thing. This is a really good game - it finally makes you realise how unfairly every other video game ever is stacked in your favour. The learning curve is brutal at first, but you quickly realise it tells you everything you need to know if you're just willing to check tooltips, item descriptions and mess about with your weapons to learn their movesets. Once you learn to play by its rules - going slowly and deliberately, both with exploration and combat - it comes down from "insane" to merely "challenging", and you can accept that every death is entirely your own fault. I've raged at this game, but it's never killed me in a way that I couldn't have reasonably prevented had I been a little more cautious, or a little better. Very few games can say that, so in a game that's designed to be really tough that's an amazing achievement.

Outside of gameplay, the plot is not handed to you on a silver platter but the clues are there if you look for it - it really rewards the inquisitive player. The background lore is great and really detailed but not shoved down your throat, you go look for it. It's entirely possible to play through the game without ever knowing about two of the three major scheming characters who drive the main plot (I played it roughly concurrently with two friends, so we think we've discovered most of the major stuff now but we could easily be wrong). I only discovered the mastermind behind one of the two endings about half an hour before beating the final boss, despite being technically available from about halfway through the (~40 hour) game. A lot of the length of the game is learning. It took me around 40-45 hours but I reckon I could do it in 10 next time, maybe faster. The world is really heavily interconnected as well. You don't really notice at first, but as you explore more and more you find out just how intricate it is.

I highly recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid of a challenge. The sense of accomplishment upon achieving things is fantastic.

Last edited by Concept; 06-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #78
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Fucking love Dark Souls. Good work, Concept.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #79
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

State of Decay - XBLA game about zombies, obviously. A heavy survival sandbox game that works rather well. You join/create a home base and slowly work on building up until the community is self sufficient against the various hordes of undead. As you find resources, you build up influence and friendships. Influence allows you to take supplies and help follow your lead. Friendship allows you to actually play as that survivor, which might have different skills to help in different ways. Need to hunt a Super Zombie? Get the soldier with high Fighting and Shooting skill. Need to hunt some supplies? Get the guy skilled as sneaking around and carrying loot.

And a huge thing: The game keeps playing even while you're not. This is both a cool mechanic in terms of a survival game, but also terrible as you lose all control. You could potentially come back to a zombie infested base with everyone dead. But at the same time, your base could keep building up and be better off than how you left it. It's all pretty neat and potentially frustrating.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #80
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
And a huge thing: The game keeps playing even while you're not. This is both a cool mechanic in terms of a survival game, but also terrible as you lose all control.
In an "actual zombie survival horror situation" (lol), people gotta sleep. If the zombies come for you while you're sleeping, "IRL" you'd at least be alerted to it by the sound of their approach (e.g. crude attempts to break into the shack you're holed up in). I wonder if the future of zombie survival horror video games will be to ping people's cell phones (if they enable push notifications) and notify them, "Hey, you're under attack. You've got a safety window of 30 minutes to log in. Once the game detects that you've logged in, or once your 30 minutes are up, either/or, we'll go ahead and let the attack commence unhindered. Enjoy!"

What this XBLA game's design is instead going to promote, I think, is a different style of gameplay. It'll be one which places a heavy focus on international teamwork, with (e.g.) an American, a Brit, and an Aussie all teaming up and taking turns protecting the fort. This sounds cool at first ... until you realize that if you're not playing with international friends, then you're playing with international strangers; and international or not, strangers are strangers and they have no qualms about losing interest in a game and abandoning it without telling you, even if that means you're fucked. So that sounds pretty ass to me.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #81
Loki

It's a single player game. Not an MMO. If I could have my friends watch my back while I slept IRL, it's not a problem. But its very aggravating if you pump like 20+ hours into building your community and you come back to see it all destroyed.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a cool mechanic, but I can see anyone who can have a TOTAL RAGEQUIT!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #82
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh yeah, screw that then. The game is basically saying "SPEND ALL OF YOUR WAKING HOURS ON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" I hate games that ask me to do that.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #83
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Since you say you already reached the final dungeon once before, my answer is not a spoiler for you. It would be for folks who haven't gotten past the big halfway point of the game though.

Spoiler: show
I think it's just that boys got really turned on excited by her transformation from little girl to physically mature woman as a result of her time spent in the land of the Eidolons. Said mature body is further accentuated by Squaresoft's choice of wardrobe design for her.

Aside from that, dunno what to tell you. For what it's worth, I don't really see that much FF4 hentai, and I'm not surprised by that fact either. Rosa dresses rather conservatively (DS low-cut top aside), and paradoxically Rydia doesn't lend herself well to an ero story for most readers. (I would presume that it's something like this: loli fans are turned off by her character because of the knowledge that she becomes a mature woman in the game; and mature woman fans are turned off by memories of her character as a young child in the first half of the game.) When it comes to Final Fantasy heroines, Tifa Lockheart remains the uncontested belle of the erodoujinshi ball. In distant second thru nth places would be all the other female characters (including those from VII again). As a further aside, with the exception of Tifa Lockheart comics, Final Fantasy doesn't have nearly the presence in the ero scene that Dragon Quest seems to have. For whatever reason, I see a hell of a lot more of the girls from DQ3 and DQ5 than any of the non-VII Final Fantasies. And I'd say that even the occasional DQ6 or DQ8 heroine shows up with greater frequency than, say, Rydia, Rosa, Rinoa, Yuna, or any other non-Tifa Final Fantasy heroine.
Fuck, I've been meaning to respond to this for days, but I keep forgetting! Anyway, when I say a character has a bunch of art about them, I usually just mean fanart. From what I've seen, videogame characters don't get many doujins. I've only seen 3 Rydia ones myself. Rydia has like 800 pictures of her in Danbooru, which for an anime character (I'm NOT calling her an anime character) is only above average, but it's alot for a non-Pokemon videogame character. Hell Tifa is only leading by 200 with 1k pictures.

Ahem, on to FF IV itself. I'm about halfway through it, and so far, I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. It does require some grinding when a new character joins the party, but it's not as unbearable as I remember. Speaking of which, the constant party change is really neat. It leaves an interesting change of pace every part of the story, even if most of the characters are mages of some kind. I just wish I knew about the Augment inheritance system earlier. I missed out on some really good augments because of it.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #84
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
- 10:46:00
This was way better then I had expected! Levels are really varied and fun. Loved the addition of wall/ceiling climbing cause it made lotsa regular & mine cart levels pretty cool! I liked rocket barrel levels to. But the bad thing about this game are the boss fights. Only 1 of 'em were good an the rest just left me with a real super sour feeling after having played through an otherwise great set of levels in each world -_-

Fire Emblem: Awakening
- 16:57:04
Its no Shining Force but still pretty fun. I never played a FE before sooo I went with Normal/Classic difficulty an no reseting! The weapon breaking thing was kinda dumb an I never even knew it was a thing until it happened! A whole lot of my party members died but the game often gave ya new ones so I never felt understaffed. On the other hand this meant that none of my characters aside from Chrom ever got married lol. The dumbest deaths were prolly Donnel in a battle right after I got him, me killing Tharja instead of recruiting her, and Nowi getting killed off real pathetically! In the end only Chrom, my MC, an 4 other peeps were left alive but that was enough ta beat the last boss which is good enough by me!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #85
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Beat:

Final Fantasy IV
The first Final Fantasy to leave me ragequitting because of some BS normal enemies. Admittedly, when returning to the same enemies this time around, I almost ragequit again, especially since they surprise killed my team when I wasn't able to save through several hours of dungeon crawling. They're not as "unbeatable" as I remember, though. They just require the right stat ailments. The game itself is okay. The story is meh, but I like the characters. Like all JRPGs of this era, the random battles drove me fucking batty. What's nice is how you're forced to use status buffs/ailments to win. I remember just pummeling on the enemies on the other FFs. That doesn't work here. Just pummeling on some enemies will get your ass killed quickly. Overall, I enjoyed FFIV. A bit generic, but the challenge and characters were enough to keep me from dropping it early.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #86
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Beat: Fire Emblem Awakening. GO PLAY IT NOW

Get: Animal Crossing New Leaf. Amazing.

Also been playing FFX lately, just finished the Djose Temple.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #87
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
GET: The Last of Us.

Three words:

Holy.

Fucking.

Shit.

Will get back to you when finished.
Rangeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #88
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Back to the Future the Game
- 10 hours~
Cool story, amusing dialogue, nice but repetitive music! But gameplay? Not the hottest. I get its a point & click adventure game but still. Walking around is slow and clumsy an even holding the run button to run is still well... slow. Also the loading times are long and scene transititions? Baaaaad. The screen just freezes for several moments as if the game crashed before switching to the next scene. Its like, yikes! Jarring much? As a BttF fan I'd say its the best BttF game yet~ but thats not saying a whole lot x.x; But I'll add its story to my headcanon lol.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #89
Loki

People who have XBL membership get to download Fable 3 for free! So I did.

The game sucks. It's very hold your hand easy type of game. The classic golden line on the ground is still around, but the EXP system, HP, MP have all been taken out. Instead, any action will pretty much give you "Guild Points" which you use to buy upgrades for yourself and your actions. There's no longer any reason to bother specializing in anything, just BUY IT ALL. Also, the Start Menu now teleports you to some magical house where you change your clothes and gear and spells.

It's all really silly. The game has pretty much no challenge. The only indication that you're about to die is that your Potion icon keeps telling you to drink the Potion. Infinite MP pretty much means you can just spam magic and never bother learning anything for melee or ranged.

As for the choices system, I haven't seen any changes yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #90
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Here I was, thinking this thread was for Gaming Pick-up lines

Anyway, played

Maplestory DS

Story: Can't really comment on it, since it was in Korean, buuut, from what I got, it was okay. Your average story filed with betrayals, mysteries, adventures, and humor. N/A

Gameplay: A 2d realm where you hop, jump, attack, and use special skills. There are 4 players, which shakes it up somewhat (each having a different ability and attack style) but it gets stale after a while. Also, those puzzles are a dick. 5/10

Graphics: Decent, nothing special. Good for a DS game. 7/10

Difficulty: 8/10
Maybe it's just me, but it's hard enough to put me off playing it for long periods of time >.>

Overall score: 6.5/10
Not bad, not good. Good for a time waster, and maybe for the story if you can read Korean ^^
Fallen Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #91
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Project X Zone
Chock full of limited edition goodness! I knew about the cd but an artbook and poster? Niceness. Nows I gotta rep some .hack & Sakura Wars goodness among others!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #92
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm going to trade in some games tomorrow to pick up X Zone, actually. It looks pretty great.

In other news, picked up Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. On the retro side of things, I bought Donkey Kong for Game Boy and Mega Man 2 for NES.

I'm also currently playing a rental of The Last of Us and so far it's a decent game, but the sudden change from the happy, lively game that is Animal Crossing to the dead, hopeless, depressing world of The Last of Us was just a bit of a shock to the system. Still haven't fully recovered, but then again it's been a good while since I've played a "serious" game, I think the last was Bioshock Inifinite.

Also a lovely birthday present from Muyo <3 in Strike Suit Zero Collection, something I've been eyeing for a very, very long time and need to sit down and play very shortly because pew pew pew pew pew pew spaaaaaaaaaaaace
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #93
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
BEAT: The Last of Us (13:08:01)

My official review is a 9/10, the reason being lots of tiny little bugs and flaws took away from what would've been a supremely brilliant game. Before I delve into what those are, in a spoiler box of course, I'd just like to brag about the fact that my end-game accuracy rate was 65%. Wheee! Play the game and you, too, will see how that's damn good.

First flaw: The one you've heard about. The AI not getting caught, ever, is obviously great, but, erm, they could've done it better since it becomes blatantly obvious sometimes.
Second flaw: Holy shit, the sound mixer dudes did it wrong. I don't know if it's just the genre, but I always had to have a hand on the volume button on the remote because it was either stupidly soft or extremely loud.
Final flaw: The story could've had a better ending, imo. Just...I don't know. After everything we've been through, all the people we've killed and all the people who're dead, _that_ happens? Come on, man...

You should still get it and play the shit out of it because holy shit it's a _great_ game.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #94
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

GET: Dragon Quest IX Sentinels of the Starry Sky (DS)

The fact that I never finished DQ8 should've been telling, but I went ahead and tried this out anyway.
It's a great game, and you can tell a lot of effort went into it. The battles are right up my alley too, being purely turn-based and with a lot of options (later on), so it should've hooked me right there, but it suffers from the same problem as the PS2 game... The atmosphere.

I can't bring myself to take the plot seriously, when every 3 minutes a horrible, horrible joke comes up and the translation is intentionally over the top with British slang. I like my RPs a bit darker and more serious, and that's totally my problem rather than the game's, but DQ9 doesn't take itself the least bit seriously and neither can I. It puts me off immensely having to fight walking puns and chibified bosses who were supposed to instill respect to the player as real threats. I'm putting this on hold until I learn to lighten up, which will likely be never. :P

Last edited by MarbleZone; 06-27-2013 at 03:58 PM.
MarbleZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #95
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Giving another shot:

Etrian Odyssey II
Atleast that was the intention, but I'm back to wanting to drop this again. This game is seriously fun at times. Bosses are a true struggle, and even the smallest edge you could possibly get in battle can be a big help. I also like the fact that you're supposed to watch your every step and try everything you can to avoid field bosses.

Sadly I'm at the point to where my team keeps getting killed and I can't do anything about it. There are these regular enemies that have this skill called scream, that has a chance to instantly kill everyone on my team. On its own, it's not that bad, since I can put them all to sleep/kill them before they try anything....on normal circumstances. I've been wiped twice because those assholes back attacked me and killed everyone before I could fucking do anything. Seriously....why the fuck would you add something like that in the game? There's a fine line between difficult and bullshit, and this game is crossing it. I really hope III and IV fixed this shit.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #96
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh wow, I totally forgot to post in here the other day.

Get: Pokémon White 2

Just reached Nimbasa City. Probably going to slow down a bit though as I investigate a few Wi-Fi offerings as well as try my damnedest to get a Jolly Technician female Minccino (odds: 1/80 >_<).
Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #97
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Sonic Generations
$10 & lotsa praise/prodding finally pushed me over the edge. First console Sonic since Heroes. Either I'll be pleased or I'll continue avoiding such things like the plague for many more years to come~

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'm going to trade in some games tomorrow to pick up X Zone, actually. It looks pretty great.
It is! Aside from the isometric view... grr... -.-
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #98
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

GET:
Brave New World: Sexy.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Won't run on my pooter ;;
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #99
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ah right, I forgot to mention that I did wind up picking up Project X Zone a few weeks ago. It's good, but I won't lie, it definitely feels a bit confused as to what type of game it wants to be.

I also have so far picked up FTL: Faster Than Light and I Am Alive in the Steam sale just because they were at really good prices. I'm trying hard to not buy much this time though because my backlog is disgustingly large.

I've also been playing The Last of Us on a borrowed PS3 but I find myself VERY unmotivated to play it. I hear so many things about how great the last portion of the game supposedly is and such but how can I be motivated to get there if the first half of the game is so difficult to march through? I'm going to be honest, most of the gameplay feels very boring, and when it's not boring it's so tasking that it becomes obnoxious and difficult which overtime turns itself boring. The biggest problem can be attributed to the Clickers - an enemy which you cannot attack, only evade. It can't see, only hear you - and if you so much as tiptoe, it's going to notice you and immediately find and kill you, and you cannot defend yourself against it. Yet your AI controlled companions can be loud as fuck and it won't notice them. This really, really bugs me, and trying to move past them OVER AND OVER AND OVER again becomes so daunting that it feels like a chore.

Maybe I'm just bad at the game, but to me, this isn't fun. It's boring and stupid. The Last of Us is an incredibly lovely game with a great story and world that I want to experience, but not under these conditions.

I'd say this comic is pretty accurate (spoilered for size):

Last edited by deoxys; 07-14-2013 at 01:04 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #100
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Get: Kentucky Route Zero

So this game is 50% off right now on Steam and at the Humble Store. Everyone on Reddit and various game reviewers seem to masturbate to it, so I decided to bite. I love the art style and the atmosphere, but that's pretty much all it has going for it. I hope the next 3 acts really tie things up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games