UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 04-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #1601
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
7 Years of Homestuck in 11 Minutes (Spoiler and Extremely Flashy Image Warning). It is just cool to see just how far we've come, but also just how fast the time has gone by.
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #1602
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

==> http://youtu.be/SxHnKT_2u64

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #1603
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I have to say I do like that Hussie is developing a brand, even if I think the HS fandom as a whole is pretty much shit.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #1604
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I have to say I do like that Hussie is developing a brand, even if I think the HS fandom as a whole is pretty much shit.
Why do you say that? As an outsider, my view of HomeStuckers has long been:
  1. they're people like Kuno, Daisy, and Copy
  2. (of the blue-skinned cosplayers specifically) they're people like the Navi (James Cameron's Avatar) fanatics, people who dream of being {that other race} and really wish that Homestuck were real
I don't see either group as being "shit," so I'm surprised by your judgment. I see the first group as nice people, and I see the second group as also nice people but ones who are grappling with loneliness, wanting to belong, and other social problems. I saw a group of kids in Homestuck facepaint in town not long ago. I took their photo, to later show Kuno. They were sweet kids, very shy but pleased by the fact that I knew who they were supposed to be. (Well, that I knew they were from Homestuck. I knew no more than that.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #1605
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

The individual people are generally fine and likeable. It's the collective that I dislike.

But this tends to be true of most relatively large fandoms.

There's kind of this air of obsessiveness and shallowness that I associate with the HS fandom as a whole that I don't find terribly appealing. There are large swaths of the fandom that are dismissive of Hussie's earlier work (namely, Problem Sleuth) or refuse to look at Homestuck as a whole and instead just choose to focus shallowly on certain aspects of it. It also really doesn't help that HS has had a lot of overlap with tumblr culture which I pretty actively avoid and dislike.

Honestly a lot of my distaste comes from being kind of pretentious when it comes to HS because I really do think that it's a masterful work in spite of all its goofiness and deserves some level of respect and deep thought and I just don't think the HS fandom as a whole sees it that way.

That said, I have to say Homestuck is one of the few fandoms where I've seen the author interact directly in a meaningful way and still maintain a solid brand and the spirit of the story/media, so in spite of my jadedness/distaste, I still think Homestuck is pretty solid.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 05-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #1606
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Homestucks also have a reputation for being obnoxious at conventions.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #1607
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I really do think that it's a masterful work in spite of all its goofiness and deserves some level of respect and deep thought and I just don't think the HS fandom as a whole sees it that way.
It's times like these where I wish Talon read HS because I'd love to read the mega essay he'd write on the ending.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #1608
Lady Kuno

Old 10-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #1609
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
~other projects~
Like this?

BORKED
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:27 AM   #1610
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
The Epilogue's out, it seems. As well as this "Credits" video, there's an update.

BORKED
Old 02-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #1611
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Man. I've taken to rereading bits of Homestuck and I'm so impressed by the way Hussie wrote the story.

tl;dr: It's basically just me and Jeri who actually care about basically any of this but if you, too, wish to talk about Homestuck as literature, FEEL FREE TO KEEP READING.

There's a lot of material towards the end that relates to obligation and choices. It's actually quite powerful. I guess if I could describe it analytically, I'd say "the meaning of choices in an RPG as it relates to life in general." Obligations, paths forward, choices we make - in games, we always pick the option of doing something. Finishing quests and making decisions. Life's a lot more nuanced than that.

Spoiler: show
Quote:
ROSE: I wonder if our young parents are like this?
ROSE: I wonder if I will ever find out?
ROSE: And what should I do in the meantime?
ROSE: Should I...
ROSE: Should I really work on completing my personal planetary quest?
ROSE: That whole thing where I learn to "play the rain?"
ROSE: I guess I should feel exhilarated to have the chance again after all these years.
ROSE: Of course I should.
ROSE: But then,
ROSE: Why does it sound like such a drag?
ROSE: I haven't played the violin in a long time.
ROSE: I wonder if I even remember how.
ROSE: Honestly I can't recall ever feeling less motivated to satisfy a looming obligation.
ROSE: I think my quest was fundamentally bound to the nature of this land, which was customized to the profile, needs, and potential for growth of a thirteen year-old girl.
ROSE: But I'm not that person anymore.
ROSE: What if I
ROSE: What if I just
ROSE: Didn't bother doing it?
ROSE: Like, ever?
ROSE: Would anyone notice my dereliction?
ROSE: Would the powers that be strike me down where I loaf?
ROSE: What if I just said fuck it?
ROSE: What then, silly pink tortoise shells? Hmmmm??
ROSE:

And later:

Quote:
ROXY: and ive got to say john
ROXY: this is starting to feel an awful lot like the end
JOHN: the end?
ROXY: yeah
ROXY: whatever the end of the road feels like
ROXY: has gotta feel like this
ROXY: maybe we should just
ROXY: admit to ourselves this is probably what its like when you find yourself in a timeline where everything went wrong
ROXY: and you know it means youre doomed
ROXY: and the only thing left to do is face the fact you have to ride it out into nothingness
ROXY: stop worryin so much
ROXY: and try to let it go
JOHN: you mean, like.
JOHN: ...
JOHN: what do you mean?
ROXY: i mean
ROXY: accept that we lost
ROXY: admit that the people we wanted to be with
ROXY: the life we always wanted
ROXY: it was never gonna happen
ROXY: except maybe in the afterlife
ROXY: our friends are there
ROXY: callies there
ROXY: my mom is there
ROXY: why shouldnt we be there too
ROXY: why not just
ROXY: let the doomed timeline work its gloomy majyyks
ROXY: and slip away into nothing with the rest of this mess
JOHN: ...

The easiest comparison is to the trolley problem in philosophy - the ethical concept of choosing to not make a choice. Things happen in the MSPA universe whether Rose Lalonde completes her personal quest or not (and indeed [SPOILERS!] in the end she chooses not to "play the rain." We will never know what that would have meant, or how it would have helped her develop in her abilities and her identity. And yet, the universe continues.) This is known as "absurdism" - the concept that the universe is fully deterministic and that it follows neat rules...which is why things don't really make sense to us as humans.

Homestuck takes absurdism to the next level, however, by establishing the universe as NOT fully deterministic. It's explicitly a story that was written to take a certain shape, and characters keep interfering with the fabric of it depending on their level of power. Vriska tears the storyline away to look at her. Calliope and Caliborn jerk the story around with wild abandon, and Caliborn (as the most powerful character) seems to be able to manipulate the universe itself, dumping glitter and sugar into the cartridge and glitching up everything.

The universe does follow strict rules, and it is unpredictable, but it's fundamentally a little different because people in the story have an influence on the way the story goes. I cannot control if tomorrow a car hits me, since it's related to events I don't understand or control (the car was invented, the road was built, the person had a full life leading up to that moment, I had a full life leading up to that moment, our ancestors, etc.). In Homestuck, it could be for a lot of other reasons. Someone could randomly hit me with a car for the sake of the story rather than because my path and the path of the driver happened to cross at that moment. In Homestuck, cars may not even have existed until the point where I was hit by one.

The key similarity, though, is that I am helpless in this situation, as most characters are (besides Calliope, Caliborn, Vriska, Terezi, Gamzee, Meenah, and all 8 human characters, all of whom exert some degree of influence over the story).

And so it's in this context that we have to try to understand the absurdist questions that Homestuck poses. What if I don't participate in the story?

Homestuck gives us an answer, thankfully:

Quote:
VRISKA: Are you really so far removed from reality that you can't see it?
VRISKA: Did this... "transform8tion" happen so gradually that you just... didn't notice?!
VRISKA: I find it hard to 8elieve, and frankly more than a little distur8ing, that some version of me could let this happen to herself without 8eing at least SOMEWHAT aware that a dreadful decline of personal integrity was taking place.
(VRISKA): I'm not a loser though!
(VRISKA): I LIKE who I've 8ecome.
(VRISKA): I actually feel happy and good a8out my life for the first time in... may8e forever??
(VRISKA): Like, ACTUALLY good a8out my life in a way that feels real, instead of forced. Don't you realize that's what it was like for us?
VRISKA: You don't have a life!
VRISKA: You're DEAD, remem8er?
VRISKA: I'm the one with the life!
VRISKA: And I fully intend to use it in a relevant and constructive way to help 8ring an end to all the horri8le shit that's 8een going on for way too long.
VRISKA: Remem8er when you used to care a8out that sort of thing?
VRISKA: No, o8viously not.
VRISKA: All you care a8out now is 8ullshit hipstery fashion trends, feeling "happy", and... whatever the fuck it is you're doing here?
VRISKA: Frolicking with some horses in an ugly field or some shit.
VRISKA: Just a8solutely disgraceful.
VRISKA: How could I have 8ecome so selfish??
VRISKA: You do know this is selfish, right?
VRISKA: This isn't having some fucking "epiphany" or like "growing as a person" or whatever self-serving spin you might 8e putting on what's happening here.
VRISKA: It's just plain narcissism, the worst kind you're capa8le of. A total renunci8tion of any responsi8ility for contri8uting to the gr8ter good.
VRISKA: And it makes me FUCKING SICK.
(VRISKA): No, that's not what it's like!
(VRISKA): You don't understand. You haven't...
(VRISKA): Like, 8een through...
VRISKA: 8een through WHAT?
VRISKA: I've 8een through plenty. Don't get p8tronizing with me.
VRISKA: How did you die, again?
VRISKA: Weren't you 8eing stu88orn and insisting on going off to fight Jack, even though that was o8viously an ill-conceived plan that was going to get everyone killed?
VRISKA: There it is again, making it all a8out you, even when trying to 8e heroic. You let that need 8lind you and you did something really stupid, 8asically leaving NO OTHER OPTION 8ut for you to get killed.
VRISKA: So since you started your journey as a ghost with that little feat of self-a8sorption, is it any surprise that after however many pseudo-sweeps floundering around as a lost soul, THIS is where you end up? A shamelessly self-indulgent, punk-ass NODY?
(VRISKA): W8... are you saying you didn't try to go fight Jack?
(VRISKA): What happened? How... how are you the version that's still alive? I don't...
VRISKA: Different shit happened!
VRISKA: And from that point on, I started making 8etter choices, unlike you.
VRISKA: Contrary to your lazy fakey "happy" shit, I've ACTUALLY GROWN AS A PERSON.
VRISKA: What do you think of THAT, you frivolous, dithering 8ITCH????????
(VRISKA): !!!!!!!!

It's a little cliche to say that Homestuck follows the philosophical concept of "making your own meaning," and it's not completely accurate either. It's a lot more nuanced than that. In fact, Vriska is confronting (Vriska) about that concept. (Vriska) has meaning to her life. She's happy and comfortable. If your life goal is to just find meaning, what is the fundamental difference between Vriska and (Vriska)?

And yet they hate each other. They are polar opposites. And as Vriska says...she's recessed. Fallen. Become a "shamelessly self-indulgent, punk-ass NOBODY."

Similar to Jade's earlier feat of self-confrontation, she's realizing that the person she would have become, if she'd just done whatever she wanted and ignored her duties and obligations, is a person she doesn't want to be. Jade was overcome by despair and helplessness. Vriska sacrificed her identity to find respite from pressure and guilt. Both of these are very forceful, active personalities (and that's probably why they were chosen to meet their "other-selves" rather than more passive characters who probably would have turned out more or less the same - John meets other-selves all the time and simply notes that they seem more naive than him, but there's no soul-searching element to it).

This is just scratching the surface of the literary merit that Homestuck has to offer but it's something that I was sort of thinking about recently (Not sure about the direction of my degree or career). Who do I want to be? What do I have to do? While it's not exactly as CLEAR as what Sburb would have offered me, with magical tomes and odd puzzles and enemies and worlds that need saving, goals and life paths do exist for me, as they do for everyone.

Odd that A:TLA philosophical questions show up in Homestuck as well ("You need to start asking yourself the important questions: Who are you? And what do you want?") but I guess it's a.) a recent enough philosophical question, what with the rise of individualism in the modern age and b.) a natural enough question that lots of literature would ask it.

Fun stuff to think about. If you ever needed to know that I have a screw loose and look for meaning in children's cartoons, here's your Exhibit A.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #1612
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

If you're interested in the overarching moral (in the broadest sense) of Homestuck, I'd recommend reading this. Probably the best piece of analysis on Homestuck I've found.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 AM   #1613
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Wow, I love that! I feel like a lot of those things I touched on, but I didn't take it far enough because I wasn't really paying attention to what exactly was happening when Homestuck changed the mechanics of the universe/Paradox Space. More focused on why it was that way and what universal truths I could extract from the change in paradigm. Just incredible writing.

Can I just say, too, that Homestuck completely changed my perception of how time works? Space is pretty simple, but I was never able to conceive of time or time-shenanigans until Hussie illustrated it and wrote a story happening inside and outside of it. Even Interstellar doesn't come close (Slaughterhouse-5 does though).

(I'm sure Hussie is inspired a lot by physics as references to it show up every-fucking-where.)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 AM   #1614
Lady Kuno

Jeri's post is pretty legit.

I'm just honestly waiting for The Huss to give us a detailed explanation on classpects. D:

Old 02-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #1615
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Hussie doesn't write stuff down...but I would love to get some insight into his thought process for what each class means to him and why he chose them over other things.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #1616
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Clear!

https://youtu.be/gAEs-NlcRtU

Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #1617
deoxys
Fog Badge

IT'S HAPPENING
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #1618
Lady Kuno

>Act 1

Old 08-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #1619
Sneaze
Mrow?

That's... worrying. UPN Game 23 confirmed to be out before Hiveswap finishes.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #1620
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Coolz8
<3

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Coolz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:38 AM   #1621
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Hiveswap is fun

Old 09-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #1622
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
Hiveswap is fun
I didn't think I'd like it at all but it's full of Hussie-level humor, the music is great, the characters are great, and it's pretty fun all around.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #1623
Lady Kuno

Apparently dril (the twitter dril) is a writer on hiveswap

WHAT

Old 04-03-2018, 02:23 AM   #1624
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

So either it’s a late April fools joke. Or homestuck has been purchased by Viz? It seems?
https://www.homestuck.com/news

Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #1625
Lady Kuno

Viz came up in the past a few times in the news so it's probably not a joke.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment