Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #26
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
Jerichi, please remember to come here and post when Haruhi S2 broadcasts this fall. And be sure to invite other people from FB who you know to like the series, too. (Can include SPPf and BMG members, of course!)
I'll be too busy foaming at the mouth and rabidly watching it to be posting. :P

And call me Jeri.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #27
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

When did I nitpick about Haruhi?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #28
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Aw jeez, you're watching it on YouTube? Better than nothing I guess, but you should really watch anime via torrents if you can. Say what you want about the character design, but it has very nice animation and it's a shame that it would go to waste on blurry, tiny-boxes-filling-the-screen YouTube. Plus some asshole will probably spoil it if you read the comments. Also, I would hate having to watch an episode divided into three parts, it'd really mess up the flow.

Hmm, I just realized I've put up with the same thing my whole life with commercial breaks.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #29
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Unfortunately, torrents take too long to load up, and I can't really find a good site to download them. Also, half of the time I download them, my ****ing media player won't even play them. I do know of another site for watching anime, but half of the episodes don't work. It is nowhere near as blurry as youtube, so I try to watch whatever I can on it.

EDIT: I just finished Air, and I have to say that I am quite disappointed in the ending. Not only did it not conclude itself, it wasted like 3 episodes when it was not really long enough to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I like it and watching it was not a waste of my time, but come on....
Quote:
Yukito was still a freaking crow at the end, and Musuzu just dies. No conclusion about the girl flying beyond the clouds, either. It is like taking a dump and leaving half of it inside you.
Despite my stupid complaints, it was still great, but it is **** compared to Kanon, but I did cry on the last two episodes. If it was a bit longer, and kinda let off on the story about the girl with the horrible dreams, it would be excellent. The length just did not allow for me to fall in love with any of the characters except for Misuzu (I fell in love with her in like the second episode).

Also, Torrents are off limits for more reasons than the Media Player.
1. My cpu only has like 1.1 Gb left, and torrents take ALOT of space.
2. My cpu loads it really slowly. I tried to DL Kanon2K6, and it will take 3 days.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The media player issue can be overcome in one of two ways ...

1 - we can teach you about video codecs and where to get them, or
2 - we can suggest you use VLC, a "media player for dummies" that has all of the video codecs pre-built-in to it

(If it makes you feel any better, I use VLC, too! I hate having to stay on top of the codec game. -_-; )

For most things, VLC will work. However, certain fansub groups (*cough* ) are doing their best to deliberately engineer their subs in such a way that VLC won't work properly. For shows subbed by those groups, you'd still be screwed if they were the only ones doing it. (Too bad they're not, heh heh heh. :P )
Old 03-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #31
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Why not just make a new post instead of editing, big bad bertha? I almost missed your concluding opinions.

Quote:
Despite my stupid complaints, it was still great, but it is **** compared to Kanon, but I did cry on the last two episodes.
Thus is the nature of the Kanon vs Air rivalry. You chose to take Kanon's side, so I'll try to express my personal FEELINGS on why I like Air better.

Kanon is funnier, and has a stronger supporting cast. But the CENTRAL plot in Air focusing on Misuzu, her mom and Yukito is strong enough that I was willing to overlook that. This was yet another case where a show would have benefited if they had simply cut out the crappy characters (damn you multiple path h-games trying to please everybody!). I also like Air's soundtrack much better. The MAIN focus in Kanon and Air is tragedy, and I think in this most important field, Air is superior at building and then executing it.

I don't know how you can say that the ending is bad and doesn't conclude anything. By far the strongest part of the series is the tail end of it.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #32
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Congrats. All your problems are solved.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:55 AM   #33
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm not entirely sure why I want to edit them instead of a new post. I guess it felt like something I had to do. Anyway...on to explain myself.

Well, I know it is a tragedy and all that, so I am kinda able to forgive the first reasons I named, but it just seems incomplete. As I said in the spoiler box, it is like taking a dump and leaving half of it inside of you. I probably am missing something or whatever, but don't get me wrong, I still think it is very good. I also liked the little piano melody they played when something touching was happening. Still, I give thanks for zine suggestion, and I am not taking back mine.

Also, from now on, you may post on what you are watching here, and give general opinions and junk. Even though I have been doing that, this is MY suggestion box so I am inclined to. This gives all you lesser beings the privilege to do the same .

EDIT: Stupid me. I off and let everyone else post their anime watching status and I off and left to watch more without telling what I am watching.

Shakugan no Shana- It's alright so far. I am only on episode five, but it seems like it will be the shiznit. From what I have seen so far though, not really anything super special awesome about this. Of course, it has not really started to heat up yet (even though the first few episodes are usually my favorite in most anime).

Gao
Old 04-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #34
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Requesting serious, quality anime recommendations for SPRING 2007 SERIES.

Frankly, I'm just not seeing much. We'll know more in a few weeks after every series has had a chance to air its first few episodes, but I just went through the list (cross-referencing with ANN), and I gotta say, it's disappointing to have so much on the horizon that isn't out yet. (School Rumble S3, Rozen Maiden S3, Haruhi S2) This spring is reminding me a lot of Spring 2005: shitty, and a good time to catch up on animes that were aired the previous year.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #35
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

There's practically nothing. I've got three titles lined-up but they are all half-baked at best and I doubt I'll be able to see them through; Devil May Cry, Claymore, and Hayate the Combat Butler.

Hayate looks to be the real winner for all of its parodies (I'm getting a Zero feeling from it...) but otherwise it's too generic to really be worthwhile.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #36
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The best way to see if there's anything worthwhile is to break into groups and report back. I'm going to check out this show called Moonlight Mile. If it's even half as good as Planetes I'll let you know.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #37
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney
The best way to see if there's anything worthwhile is to break into groups and report back. I'm going to check out this show called Moonlight Mile. If it's even half as good as Planetes I'll let you know.
And this is why that sort of selfish strategy pisses me off ... even if you didn't mean to. I bookmarked that series yesterday; along with one other show, it constitutes the only hope I have in this spring's lineup, and I intend to waste time on no other show before watching that one. So ... don't ask me to let you preview for me what could be a clone of my 2nd favorite anime ever. Just a tad selfish, and if that's what "divvying up series" entails, then count me out. ^^;

To put it into perspective ... what you just asked equates to me telling you, "Hey, I'm going to check out Akagi Season 2. I'll let you guys know how it turns out, 'kay? Oh, and in the meantime, how about you guys check out Curse of the Golden Flour?"
Old 04-03-2007, 12:06 AM   #38
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Moonlight Lady
One of the few hentai animes I have ever regretted deleting and considered purchasing, this is a classic (if slightly bizarre and at times offensive) hentai anime that has spawned a sequel series for this spring's anime lineup. Now, the series this spring is 13 episodes and doesn't appear to be hentai at all, but all indications are that if you've never seen the original (hentai) anime, you'll be missing out. So ...

- if you like hentai, treat yourself to this before checking out the sequel
- if you dislike hentai, you may want to consider avoiding Touka Gettan since it's an H-game turned Anime with all of the H taken out. Having seen the original, I gotta say ... this series minus the H is pretty bizarre and boring. ^^;

No, this is not the other series I was looking forward to this spring. Now that I'm on the Mac, I can pull up the bookmark ... let's see ... here we are:
- prospective gold #1: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=7383 (based purely on Planetes semblance)
- prospective gold #2: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=7479 (based purely on looks and genre)
Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #39
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Hey, that's fine. You can watch whatever you want of course. I just didn't know it was even on your radar screen.

And hey! What a coincidence, Moonlight Lady is only the second hentai I've ever seen and yes, it's very good. Amazingly doesn't have the low budget repeating animation shit that is so common in hentai anime. Example: Mother Knows Breast. The guy is doing the mom up the ass, and she's saying something like "AH, YOU'RE REACHING IN SO DEEP!" or whatever, then he does something else for a while. Then the exact same sequence of him doing the mom up the ass, INCLUDING her mouth moving to say the prior line of dialogue, except this time she's just going, "ANH! ANH! AHH!"

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 04-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #40
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I might up and check out joor 2007 titles whenever I am stumped on what to watch next, but for now, iz gots to watch titles I have missed. Just incase anyone cared, here's what I am currently watching.

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (Kono Minikuku Mo Utsukushii Sekai)- I mostly wanted to watch this for the hype it got whenever is was released in America, and I have to say, I am disappoined from what I have watched so far. I am on episode eight, and almost nothing has happened so far, and this is coming from a guy who likes filler episodes. It attempts humor, but they are kind of pathetic attempts. Anyway, enough with my bitching. It is about this girl(Hikari) who came from space, and this guy(Takeru) finds her and takes her to live at his house. She tries to adapt to life on earth, and seems to be excessively optimistic about it, resulting in a bunch of sad faces from her. One great, but very very rare, thing about this is when Takeru transforms into this badass alien fighter dude. OMFG is it sweet! The second time he does it, he fights this leviathan-centipede thing, and it is probably one of the greatest action scenes evar. It is excellent when he transforms, but he has only done it twice since I have watched. The only other great thing about this is how adorable Hikari is. I will edit this later tonight when I finish.
EDIT: I just finished this, and my final conclusions on this is....it's decent. It just did not grab my attention like I thought it would. It picked up a lot after episode eight, but that is not enough to satisfy me. (I SAID I would edit this, so if you actually gave a **** you couldn't of missed it)
Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

First 5 minutes of Touka Gettan: pretty boring. Good animation for an H-anime, except there's no H here. So it comes off as subpar animation. Add to that the fact that the plot didn't take off at all -- we just sat and watched a boring ass phone conversation -- and I'm a bit miffed.

First 5 minutes of Moonlight Mile: holy crap. This series could either be really awesome or really shitty. One or the other. Too early to tell. Not in the mood to keep watching, but that's because I have homework + other series to finish. I'll let pioneers like Mcsweeney be the first to scout this series out and see if it's any good. But my recommendation to others (if you haven't even tried it yet) is, "It looks promising."

First 1 minute of Polyphonica: I downloaded the movie file that's an advertisement for the PC game (released April 2006). It looked sort of interesting? The two main girls (red hair, blonde hair) are really hot. But the premise seems to involve musical competitions. Sort of silly in that sense, unless we learn more. Also, the opening of the movie file involves summoning a spirit or something. Something about "Come forth, soul masked in shadow!" or something.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #42
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Word up homies. I am scouting anime to watch right now, so I have checked out a couple and am probably gonna watch either Inukami, Shinobuden(Ninja Nonsense), or something else like that. I just watched the first episode of Inukami and I was thouroughly satisfied. That pervert novelist guy was the shiznit. I am pretty much looking for insanity, or maybe raw action, because I have been drowned by romances.

Speaking of romances, I recently found out that there was an Air movie, and I checked it out. I have to say that I was thouroughly disappointed by it. I had to stop watching on like the first thirty minutes. It was like they just took the good ol' television servies and made some amateurs remake it. The characters' personalities were different from the television series, and the great artwork and animation that the TV series had was bitch slapped and replaced. Translation: they took about everything I liked about Air, and replaced it.

Also, as anyone who actually read this may know, I am looking for something insane to watch. Some excellent recommendations would help, even though there are things I should be taking off my list first. After watching the next title, I am considering watching Buso Renkin, because the original creator also did Kenshin, and I thought it might be somewhere near as good as Kenshin. If anyone has watched Renkin, and it was a horrible piece of ****, tell me before my eyes start bleeding.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My roommate says Busou Renkin is a below-average anime. The friend who recommended it to us thought it was a slightly-above-average, enjoyable way to pass the time.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #44
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Talon's roomate's assessment is (allegedly) accurate for the Busou Renkin manga. The anime is said to be a much better adaption, but I wouldn't give it anything beyond "above average".

BR has great fanart, though. As in, eroge-level and beyond.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #45
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I kinda thought so. I read like the first chapter of the manga, and I was like "I could read this again or staple my nuts together. Too bad I don't have a stapler ;_;" I might give it a quick peek at the most, but I really don't want to go after another sub-par shounen anime.

Also, as if anyone cared, what I am currently watching. I figured I would just up and continue with Inukami, and it has been the shiznit so far. It looses some insanity at like the second episode, but still satisfies my desires. I'm not recommending it, because Suigin pretty much did by making a topic about it, and I decided to watch it BECAUSE of Suigin's topic. I am currently on episode 6.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

lol, I dunno if I'd say recommended. I downloaded Inukami episodes 1-11 but I quit after Episode 2. ^_^; My roommate, who had gotten through Episode 10, reported to me at the time that it was "a lot of naked men." One of my best friends (who watched all of it) agreed. "It's got as much fanservice for the ladies as it does for the gents. I guess you can't fault them for that!"

I might watch more (and download more) Inukami later, but I doubt it. The animation was a little crude, the boy looks androgynous (what's with that haircut!?), and Yui Horie's boobies are sloshing around through her clothes. That sort of animation makes me laugh but doesn't really get me droolin'. It's so ... unrealistic. XD (And you know that when Talon complains about animated boobs looking unrealistic, it's really bad.)
Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #47
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Saw Claymore and Hayate; reviews pending.

Abrupt thoughts:

Hayate - excellent
Claymore - good
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #48
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I just finished with episode 18 of Inukami, and I just had to show everyone something from it, so here joo goes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAgb1DGrngk

EDIT: I just finished Inukami, and I have to say that I was satisfied by watching it. The only negatives that it has is the fact that some of the humor repeated itself and just got annoying, and as Suigin said, the animation got a little crude at times. There's alot of nekkid buff dudes in it too, but there's elephants to keep you from vomiting, and it is pretty funny at times. Also, when it is supposed to be serious, it is actually pretty cool, and Keita is a likeable character when this happens. I give this a very good rating.

Also, I am going to start on Cromartie High School or Shinobuden next. After that, I will chase yet another romance, and check out Tonagura. Look forward to my reply!

Since I rated what I am surrently watching, I might as well rate what I have been watching in the past few weeks.(this is a true indication of how much time I have to kill)
Akagi-Very good
Utawarerumono-Very Good
Kanon-Words can't describe how excellent it is
Air-Very Good
Shakugan no Shana-Very Good
Old 04-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #49
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I decided to go old school for a bit so I'm watching GOLDEN BOY. Anyway, the first two episodes are extremely amazing and if it keeps up this pace, this show could hit MASTERPIECE.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #50
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I watched all of Hayate no Gotoko, Claymore, and Touka Gettan's first episodes today. So, here are some more complete reviews of each.

Hayate the Combat Butler: 7/10
For a comedy, the good jokes were few and far between. For a romance, the pilot establishes so thoroughly that the little girl has fallen in love with Hayate that there's no tension at all. As much as I may want him to, Hayate will not fall in love with the beautiful maid and have steamy butler-maid sex. Instead, he will fall in love with the annoying loli rich bitch. Boo urns. Bad animation (imo) and a fast-paced plot filled with little else than fluff gets this series pilot a 7 out of 10.

Claymore: 10/10
I am normally not a fan of realistic, gritty animes (examples include Planetes, Samurai Champloo, and Afro Samurai). However, there are exceptions (like my beloved Planetes). The gritty animation here really struck me as cool. Very appropriate for the setting. Very refreshing. Thumbs up, approved.

I am generally not a fan of bloody animes, not because I dislike blood but because I dislike bloodshed. I'm a doctor, not a fighter. That stated, there was something almost ... artistic about the various decapitations and things in this series. When a demon's body got slashed down the middle after he begged for mercy (after devouring a boy's family), it was really ... powerful.

Interesting plot. Interesting main two characters (Clare and Raki). Thumbs up.

Touka Gettan: 4/10
Ugh. "An H-game no one's ever heard of turned into an anime with no H." Not a smart idea. Hentai games are generally known for their lack of a good plot; while Tsukihime and Fate / Stay Night may be popular exceptions, it is important to remember that they are exceptions and not the rule. The rule is, "H-animes have no plot or else have a shitty plot."

Touka Gettan clearly hoped to ride on the coattails of JKanon and other harem H-games--turned--H-anime. It's got over 4 main girls in the first episode alone and something like 10 girls in the opening credits. The main character has (err, had) amnesia for all of 5 minutes before remembering his lady love from a previous life. And an interesting plot development around a girl named Yumiko (who is mistaken for her mother, Yuriko) ended up going nowhere. Long story short, avoid this series -- at least until a few more episodes are out and people brave enough to watch it report that it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime