UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Disclaimer: By some I meant two.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Wobbuffet Inebriated Wobby sez: But she's OUR drunken bum!

>Shuckle

I'd argue that Daisy can indeed draw for shit, but yeah, she plays a mean game of Kings.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #28
deoxys
Fog Badge

BORKED

I heard this and I'm hooked. Found it by complete accident just fucking around on YouTube. This is called U.N. Owen Was Her? right? Hook me up with some badass Touhou music like this, someone?

edit: I've changed my steam name and profile pic to reflect my sudden love for this song. I've probably listened to it nonstop for at least an hour now.

...and so my downward spiral into Touhou begins.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 07-08-2012 at 04:50 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #29
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

You wouldn't be the only one! An FBer did the same thing.

Also an oldschool UPNer known as dami introduced me to Sound Sepher's remix. My favourite so far!

BORKED

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #30
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Aah, that song is pretty good. While I'm not crazy about techno, I love the voice.

For recommendations, I'm not really sure what kind of songs are up your alley. While we're on the U.N. Owen Was Her? route, here's a great remix. There's a vocal version, but Unlucky Morpheus's vocals are kinda bad in their first few songs.

I'll give a couple more. If you actually care for them, I can regurgitate more:
Alice Remixes are often very good. Though the pterodactyl screeching in the middle is pretty bad.
Another good one by the same person who arranged the U.N. Owen Was Her? remix I gave.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 07-08-2012 at 01:12 PM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #31
deoxys
Fog Badge

So I played Touhou 6 today.

It's quite fun... I'd definitely use this game as an example to show someone who said "video games aren't art"

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Courtesy of YouTube's recommended videos column, I bring you the Dyson Danmaku Sphere.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

ZUN failed to trademark "Touhou Project" and "Team Shanghai Alice"; Japan Patent Office upholds stranger's claims to the registered trademarks

It's good that ZUN holds the copyright on his own work but it's embarrassing that he failed to register his (imo) iconic Team Shanghai Alice logo as a trademark. Now this other schmuck has the legal rights to it and is free to use it however he pleases on T-shirts, mugs, etc. Not to mention he could theoretically tell ZUN not to use it (though that would be suicide for the squatter's business ¬_¬).

The article is almost two months old at this point. One wonders as to whether or not ZUN was ever able to get this guy to hand over the trademark. I kind of doubt it. The sort of person who does this sort of thing is an unscrupulous bastard who no matter how much you offer him for the trademark will always ask for one penny more. ZUN could offer the guy $1 million and he'd hold out for more. But if the fans take matters into their own hands (legal or not) and execute vigilante justice on this guy and make clear to him that his life's going to be a living hell until he relinquishes the trademark rights back to ZUN, I can see him giving them back to ZUN very quickly for no more than the cost it cost him to register the trademark in the first place.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #34
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The second episode of the Touhou Musou fan-made anime was released at Comiket 82 in August. I've been putting off writing up a review of the episode until tonight but don't mistake that for disinterest or any other bad signs: 'cause this episode was fantastic fun! Now, your fun value will probably be proportional to how well you know these characters, so if you don't know these characters period then I might advise you to reconsider watching this episode before getting to know some of the girls better. But you don't have to go all the way and become a breathing Touhou encyclopedia to enjoy it either: I consider myself a pretty casual fan and I was quite satisfied with my own enjoyment level of the episode.

Officially, this is a direct sequel to the first Touhou Musou episode the fan group produced. So if you haven't seen that yet, you'd better start there. That stated, I feel like even if you haven't seen the first episode you can watch this one and still get 85-90% of the full impact. For better or for worse, one thing becomes apparent very early on: the fans who made this were made well aware (by the gap between their first episode and this their second) that there might be years between now and the next episode's release. Given that, they went ahead and created an episode which feels much more like a stand-alone OAV this time around. This is in stark contrast with their first episode which felt like the first half of an honest-to-god series premiere of a serial television series. Let me say that one more time: whereas the first episode makes you feel like you're watching Episode 01 of 26, the second episode makes you feel like you're watching MiniMovie 1 of 1. Is that a good thing? Is that a bad thing? I don't think there's a definite right or wrong answer here. The problem is time. If the fans could produce episodes of equal quality to what we see here on a schedule more along the lines of one episode every few months or sooner then I think this would be a definite downgrade. You do the stand-alone approach when you're apologetic and don't really have the time or budget to do a full-blown series that allows you to take things more slowly. But that's the thing: they don't have the budget, which is precisely why it takes so long between episodes, which is why they made the switch from serial to stand-alone, which is arguably why Episode 02 works so well as fan candy yet mildly disappoints for lack of substance.

Animation is all around improved this go-around but the general trends are the same as with Episode 01: gorgeous background animations, famous high-budget voice actresses, and then character animation that is several grades below the rest. But like I said, it's improved this time: while the character animations were pretty damn bad sometimes in Episode 01 (100% forgivable when you consider it's fan-made but still: ugly is ugly ^^; ), this time everything at least looks very polished and professional if noticeably low budget next to the other features. Still, it bears re-emphasizing that background animations are ridiculously gorgeous -- I'm now convinced that whoever is doing these makes their living doing this sort of thing for professional anime -- and the sponsors for this project spared no expense at tapping some of the most famous voice actresses of the 2000s and 2010s. Here's just a partial list:
  • Narrator: Inoue Kikuko (Ah! My Goddess's Belldandy, Clannad's Furukawa Sanae, Onegai Sensei's Kazami Mizuho, and hundreds of other roles)
  • Hakurei Reimu: Nakahara Mai (Clannad's Furukawa Nagisa, Higurashi no Naku koro ni's Ryuuguu Rena, Mai-HIME's Tokiha Mai, and dozens of other roles)
  • Kirisame Marisa: Sawashiro Miyuki (Di Gi Charat's Petite Charat, Nodame Cantabile's Chiaki Shin'ichi, Rozen Maiden's Shinku, and dozens of other roles)
  • Ibuki Suika: Toyosaki Aki (K-ON!'s Hirasawa Yui, ToLoveRu's Momo Belia Deviluke, and others)
  • Reisen Udongein Inaba: Yahagi Sayuri (Bakuman's Miyoshi Kaya, Polar Bear Cafe's Ms. Penko, ToLoveRu's Sairenji Haruna, and others)
  • Inaba Tewi: Iguchi Yuka (To Aru Majutsu no Index's Index, Nisemonogatari's Araragi Tsukihi, and others)
  • Izayoi Sakuya: Tanaka Rie (Chobits' Chii, Rozen Maiden's Suigin Tou, and dozens of others)
  • Saigyouji Yuyuko: Kayano Ai (Hyouka's Ibara Mayaka, AnoHana's Menma, and more)
  • Konpaku Youmu: Yuuki Aoi (Pokémon Black & White: Best Wishes's Iris, Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzuu's Mikogami Riko, Puella Magi Madoka Magica's Kaname Madoka, and others)
I'm going to stop myself here 'cause I said I was only going to provide a partial list and just look at me. But once I started I had a hard time stopping! Just look at these credits! Absolutely unbelievable. Every last one of them is a professional talent who you can't hire without coughing up some serious cash -- and we see it for all the characters. Now, some of them I'm sure were only too happy to donate some of their spare time to this project (e.g. Tanaka Rie); and some of them are admittedly more new to the industry (like Yahagi Sayuri and Iguchi Yuka) than others (like HOLY SHIT Inoue Kikuko). But even those women who are still new to the industry or who are quite enthusiastic about otakudom you've still got to pay for their time. So it's really, really incredible that the fans were able to do this. Whether you agree with their casting decisions or not -- I'm pretty sure every Touhou fan turned his head at least once when hearing one of the girls open her mouth for the first time -- you gotta give the guys credit for trying to give us fans the best goddamn Touhou anime production possible.

Now for a bit of plot summary with commentary.

Spoiler: show

The episode opens with a scene at Yuyuko's estate. Youmu is chastising her lord for having eaten all of the food Youmu was preparing for them, including some watermelons she left by the river. While Yuyuko's guilty-looking face betrays the fact that she probably did eat at least some of the food, she denies having eaten any watermelons. Youmu goes back to the river once more to see if they're there. After she heads out, we hear Yuyuko talking to Yukari. It seems that the fan favorite culprit behind the missing donation box of Hakurei Shrine's and the missing book of Patchouli Knowledge's is indeed who the writers ended up going with: the dimension witch youkai, the lovely Yakumo Yukari.

Back at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, we see Marisa helping Patchouli put all of the books back on the bookshelves. Aya should be helping too but she's bored/lazy and soon ducks out. Reimu should really be the one helping since, as Marisa points out, she's the one who caused the mess. However, Reimu is busy having tea with the lady of the mansion, Remilia Scarlet, and the two discuss the mysteries of last night / this morning. Remilia throws out there that it could be Yukari who is behind all of this but Reimu rejects the theory and the two continue to try and brainstorm who might be responsible for the disappearing items.

We then cut to the bamboo forest where we see Inaba Tewi leading a team of earth rabbits in the preparation of mochi for an upcoming festival. When Tewi learns from Aya that watermelons have been sighted near the river, Tewi heads off to go and snag them. When word of this gets back to Kaguya and Eirin, they task Reisen with the job of fetching Tewi. This was where the episode really picked up for me personally. Reisen is one of my favorite characters and the way the team brought her to life exceeded my expectations. Beautiful. Adorably quirky-cute. Wonderful voice. Just all around great. I was kinda just rolling along for the first half of the episode but this was where I started to wake up.

Tewi finds the watermelons by the river but is soon intercepted by Youmu. When the swordswoman politely explains that those are her watermelons -- you can clearly see the Saigyouji crest on them ^^; -- the cheeky little Tewi makes a run for it. Youmu gives chase and soon it's all Tewi can do just to avoid being sliced into mincemeat by Youmu. She happens to run into Reisen, who was of course looking for her, and she passes along the hot potato to Reisen (pictured above). Youmu is like a bull who has seen red and doesn't care who's holding the watermelons at this point: she just wants them back and she'll fell anyone who tries to stop her! So Tewi and a soon-exhausted Reisen make a mad dash for Yuka's field of sunflowers where they become separated. Youmu sees where Reisen went and gives chase; Tewi meanwhile managed to avoid detection and decides to head back home, concluding that Reisen can handle Youmu on her own.

The final scene before the end credits roll shows Youmu and Reisen preparing to fight. Youmu creates shadow clones and is ready to strike the moon rabbit down. That's when Reisen activates her awesome Lunatic Red Eyes and prepares to kick Youmu's sorry butt.

=Thoughts up through this point=
Konpaku Youmu is one of my least favorite of the main Touhou characters (yeah yeah I know I'm such a heretic ) so for me the first scene of the episode was a bit of a bummer, cute though Yuyuko is. Yakumo Yukari is my #1 favorite Touhou but she still hasn't shown up in the flesh so I've been pretty bummed by that. ^^; My second favorite, Reiuji Utsuho, doesn't look like she'll be showing up any time soon either outside of a 5-second cameo. The focus definitely seems to be on characters from the zenith of the Touhou games' popularity half a decade ago -- Games 6 (Scarlet Devil Mansion occupants), 7 (Yuyuko, Youmu, and eventually Yukari), and 8 (Lunarians and earth rabbits). Of course there are a few exceptions to that trend, like Suika (IaMP) or Aya (didn't really pick up until Shoot the Bullet and MoF) but for the most part this seems to be focused on 6, 7, and 8. And I'm guessing we'll eventually see Yuka in Episode 03, seeing as this is her sunflower field, one can only assume. But I digress! I was trying to say that the first few bits of the episode were mildly entertaining for me as a casual Touhou fan but none of my personal favorites were showing up. Then we arrive in the middle of the episode and it's Reisen! But I do wish she'd have done more than simply run. ^^; Reisen's appearance in this episode was pretty much sold not by her actions but by her voice acting: cute dialogue for her, great sounding voice, loved the bits where she was like "Unyaa? o.o" or panting out of breath.

But my favorite part of the entire episode was the surprise scene which showed up after the ending credits. And good lord did I love that scene!

YouTube link

OH. MY. GOD. >D< *squeal* I about lost it when they cut to Suika. That was one of the best setups with one of the best transitions/cuts I've ever seen. It didn't match expectations set up by Reimu's joke: it far and away exceeded them. GOOOOOOOOOOOOD LORD was that hysterical having her crying for Reimu, just as Reimu predicted, only she's so bored/drunk/both she's doing it with her face planted on top of the table, her muffled voice sounding so pitiful, quiet, and defeated. XFD If I could give the Anime Oscar to that voice actress and/or that scene's writer, I totally would. Just UNBELIEVABLE. That one scene for me catapulted this episode from like, say, 7/10 enjoyment to 9/10 enjoyment. The only thing preventing me from watching the scene again and again and again is that I want the joke to stay fresh. So I've only allowed myself to watch it maybe two or three additional times past when I first saw it. But oh man: LOVED IT!!!

Here are the screencaps I took (and used in the making of this post) for anyone who wanted to see 'em in order. There were quite a few I didn't use but uploaded anyway.

Talon's screencaps (in chronological order):

Yeah, I know I wrote a lot. But if that tells you one thing, it's that I enjoyed this episode a lot more than I expected I would. And I hope you will too.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

A friend showed me Tutti Sound's symphonic arrangement of the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil soundtrack on Friday. I was like "It's okay but it's a bit noisy. ^^;" I think that was because he has ridiculous speakers and everything was coming out. Hearing it on YouTube on my own fairly limited speakers, it sounds pretty nice. *shot* Still a bit noisy but ...

For those of you who want to find the album, search for "東方映画音楽選 - TOHO FILM MUSIC SELECTION -" or similar. Perhaps you will appreciate it as much as my friend does. You can read more about it here.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #36
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTropes
-When someone looks at some piece of Touhou fanart and asks "What anime is this?" flames are to be expected.
Erp.

Um, hey, Talon, Yuki, thanks for not chewing me out that one time.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #37
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Erp.

Um, hey, Talon, Yuki, thanks for not chewing me out that one time.
I know nothing about Touhou, so don't worry. XP
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #38
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That honestly hasn't been my experience at all. ^_^; In my experience Touhou fans are only too happy when people express in an interest in learning "which anime" Touhou is. Huh. Well, just goes to show that different fans in the same exact fandom can have wildly different experiences which sculpt their views on fandom-related matters.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My IRL friend who is hugely into Touhou was showing me his recently acquired copy of Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced v.1.11 and I have to say it looked so good I was compelled to finally try this series out. Some cool things about it which sold me:

1. Redone Types
There are still 17 types since the game probably forces that requirement, but many of them have new names (e.g. Miasma, Shinto, Wind) and more importantly the type effectiveness chart has been completely redone. So like, you can't just say "Hmm, Shinto replaced Psychic, I bet, and so it's weak to everything Psychic was weak to." Because its strengths and weaknesses don't match up with what you'd expect. (You can check the types out for yourself by clicking here and scrolling down to the second table. Notice for example how the Illusion type has zero weaknesses and one immunity.)

2. Expansive Map
The game is based on Fire Red but apparently has Johto inside as well. Last time I checked, there wasn't any code for a Gen 3 Johto. So this is sounding pretty cool to me. No idea what they plan to do with it but I look forward to checking it out should I get that far.

3. Better sprite graphics
The overworld map is the same Gen 3 graphics as normal. But the sprites which show up for the various Touhoumon are, imo, the best I've seen out of a Touhoumon yet.

4. Physical/Special Split in a Gen 3 game
Yes, that's right: these games actually feature the Physical/Special split of Gens 4 and 5 but in a Gen 3 engine. Pretty cool! So this means you can have fun playing a Gen 3 game again but without feeling like you're taking an awkward step backwards.

These factors, combined with the fact that my friend is playing right now and I think it'd be fun to catch up with him and share experiences, have led me to go ahead and give this a whirl. Right now I'm debating on which Touhoumon I want for my starter (as Sanae and Reisen are two of my personal favorites). I joked with my friend last night that I might go for an all-Shinto theme team since I love Sanae, Reimu, and Byakuren and all three are Shinto-typed -- "WE WILL CONVERT GENSOKYO TO SHINTOISM! " I joked last night -- but man oh man am I torn about picking Sanae over Reisen. I love them both, but I'm not a big fan of Sanae's level-up moves nor her evolutions' whereas I'm quite intrigued by Reisen's level-up moves, many of which may be more than simple name changes. If Sanae's attack form evolution were still Shinto/Wind (with "Wind" I suspect of being Electric), then I'd totally go for that. (Check out her cute froggies! ^-^) But she becomes Shinto/Water, so like, I dunno. ^^; I love 'em both but in the end I think I'll go with Reisen because 1) it's Reisen \o/ (sorry, Sanae! ^^; ) and 2) I like that Reisen has access to an Advent form since they seem to have some of the best types and movepools. (Sadly Sanae is the only one of the three starters who does not have an advent form. Stupid Tensoku. -.-; ) But I dunno, even as I type these words I'm kind of waffling on it, eager to do a Shinto themed team. Then again, I won't get access to a lot of the Shintos until late in the game anyway. Reimu is a fossil and iirc Byakuren doesn't appear until way late either. Also, my friend chose Reisen for his starter and for whatever (crazy! ) reasons he doesn't like Sanae so it might be kinda cutely appropriate for me to pick Sanae for my starter rather than picking the same starter he did. (B-but ... Reisen! ;_; ) Arrrrrrrrgh, too tough, too tough.

Well, once I've chosen a starter, I'll be sure to update you with what I think of the game.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #40
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

They totally redid the type chart? Impressive, I'll have to give this one a go, too- Not many hacks go into that level of detail, and only the most hardcore go through the work of adding in the Phys/Spec split (It's actually not too hard to do, but when you're introducing new moves... it gets complicated). I guess I'll post updates if I manage to find it.
Quote:
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

After settling on Sanae, I started up the game. I have no clue what possessed the English translator to localize the nickname for the Touhous as "Bonéka". The Japanese name was apparently kakera or "fragment" which I don't understand either. ^_^; This opening screen demonstrates one of only a few instances I've come across thus far which have been appeals to the Touhou fandom. Most of the dialogue, as far as I can tell (having never played FRLG for myself), has been left intact from the original games. Most of the word changes are 1:1 word substitutions, like swapping out POKéMON for BONéKA or like swapping out POKéDEX for ARTBOOK. I kinda wish the game had been hacked a bit more than it is and had had the gym leaders replaced with regional bosses. So like, to give an example, Gym 1 could've been the Scarlet Devil Mansion, with Brock having been overwritten by Remilia and his Pokémon being Patchouli and Flandre and with Brock's trainer having been overwritten by Hong Meirin and her Pokémon being Rumia and Cirno, or something. I can guess why the programmer chose not to do this -- since all of the Touhous are capturable, it would've been weird to have had capturable Touhous as Gym Leaders -- but like, I dunno, the ROM feels too Pokémony to me. Perhaps the Touhou fandom should try their hand at editing Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 1. *shrug*

I saw last night at my friend's house that the protagonist sprite has been replaced by one of Yukari Maribel. So I was delighted when, after naming my own protagonist Maribel, Professor Oak's grandson was introduced and sure enough it was Usami Renko. (In the picture above, Renko is saying she'll tell her older sister Daisy not to lend me a town map.) After one final consideration, I ended up going with Sanae, keeping the theme team dream alive. (GO TEAM SHINTO!) Renko chose Alice for her starter, and it was from this action (plus a quick check of the type effectiveness table on the Touhou Wiki) that I appreciated which elemental triangle had come to replace the old classic of Grass-Water-Fire amongst starters: Faith (Shinto), Reason, and Heart. Amongst the other things which the elements are respectively super effective and ineffective against, the logic goes something like this:
  • Faith: faith takes hold of one's heart but doesn't hold up against reason
  • Heart: reason goes out the window when we listen to our hearts but our hearts are guided by and thus render us susceptible to our faith
  • Reason: reason deconstructs faith-based arguments but can't move some people's hearts
I guess? ^^; I dunno. It kind of feels like a colossal case of double dipping to have both "faith" and "heart" in there. But like, in the original game, the Faith type was apparently called the Shinto type (which is still reflected in the Touhou Wiki's chart), so I guess you could argue that the religion is distinct from the emotion. Or something. ^^;

The first hour of gameplay saw me breezing through the usual "WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF POKéMON!" tutorial crap and reaching Pewter City with a Level 14 starter and then five completely non-utilized Touhoumons. They were:
  • Chibi Tokiko (Lv. 3)
  • Chibi Daiyousei (Lv. 5)
  • Chibi Sunny Milk (Lv. 4)
  • Chibi Luna Child (Lv. 5)
  • Chibi Star Sapphire (Lv. 5)
The second hour of gameplay saw me then agonizing over trying to get ideal natures and good IVs for the three elemental fairies, particularly since I noticed that my IRL friend had both Sunny Milk and Star Sapphire on his Sevii Island team, indicating to me that these girls might be good to have around. However, I'll be depositing them one at a time if I can make the Shinto theme team idea work. (I may allow myself a non-Shinto HM whore though because I really don't want to teach Kanako Cut, Suwako or Sanae Surf, any of the Shinto girls Strength, and so on.)

So then, after doing that, I went ahead and challenged Brock. Pictures below.

Honestly, Brock's Boy Scout trainer gave me a much harder time than he did. The Boy Scout had two Yamames who in this game appears to be what's called "Earth/Miasma" and seems to be a really, really defensive Ground/Poison-type. They were a bitch. Sanae wasn't in danger of dying since I'd put all of my EVs and EXP into her, but the Yamames were each Level 13 (so only one level and then two levels below her) and they took minimal damage from Pound and Nature Power while being immune to Gust. (Note that Gust is a "Wind"-type move in this game and the Wind-type seems to be what replaced the Electric type.) Brock, on the other hand, was a cakewalk. Chibi Sanae 3HKO'd his Chibi Suika using Nature Power and that with Brock using a potion on Turn 2. And then she 2HKO'd his Chibi Yuugi again using Nature Power. The move seems to use the Gen 3 animation for either Aromatherapy or GrassWhistle (I can't recall which) but it deals damage, so I think it's always a Grass-type move, unlike the real Nature Power which can be a variety of elemental moves depending on where you use it. So I used that to my advantage and basically made this a Grass vs. Ground gym battle even though Sanae is officially a Shinto-type Pokémon.

So right now I'm on my way to Mt. Moon. I feel like I need to invest more effort into my other guys, especially now that I've learned something troubling about Touhoumon 1.8's evolution and move learning system. My friend led me to believe last night that the evolution patterns went from Chibi to Regular to stone-based evolved form. But it looks like that isn't the case at all. Instead, they go from Chibi ... to one evolution period. If you fail to evolve into any of the other evolutions by the time the species is ready to level evolve, then you either have to let it level evolve or else you have to cancel evolution. But say you say "Well then! Cancel evolution! What's the big problem? ", the big problem is that in Touhoumon, all of the chibis quit learning moves circa Level 31/32. ^^; If you want to keep learning moves (most of them learn moves all the way up into the Level 60s), then you have to evolve. So ... canceling evolution would be something only a fool would choose. Which means that if I don't want my Chibi Sanae to evolve into the game's regular Sanae, I need to slow down her growth and start working on others. Vice-versa, if I decide I do want her to evolve into regular Sanae (since regular Sanae has the awesome dual typing of Shinto/Wind, a.k.a. Shinto/Electric, FUCK YEAH ), then I'll just keep on pouring EXP into her and get her to evolve (@ Lvl 36) ASAP.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #42
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Aww, they didn't change the Gym Leaders? That's a shame- they did that in the Emerald Hack, and each GL's strongest pokemon was the doll version of themselves. Then again, this seems to maybe have a different storyline- In the emerald hack, all the Tohoumon you can catch are 'dolls' made in the likeness of each Tohou.

Kind of surprised that they didn't put in your idea of making each Gym Tohou localities- comparatively, Map Editing in 3rd Gen is just so easy it's hilarious.
Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I put a few more hours into this over the weekend and today this afternoon. Right now I'm making my way towards Bill's place (having already fought Renko south of Nugget Bridge and then made my way up it). I learned late last night that apparently in Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced (built off TPP 1.8 ) the Touhoumon cannot evolve into any of their special stone evolution forms until after you get the NationalDex. What does this mean? Well, duh: it means there's no point in worrying myself over whether I want Sanae (Faith/Wind), ASanae (Faith/Water), or DSanae (Faith/Nature) for my final stage: I pretty much have to go with the regular Sanae (which is the awesome Shinto/Electric combo, HELLZ YEAH! ) unless I want to quit learning moves at Level 32 and remain a Bulbasaur forever. ^^; Since I don't want that, it's up, up, up for Sanae's level!

Commentary on my current team:

Chibi Sanae:

As you can see, my Sanae is currently Level 27. No, I haven't done much grinding with her, anyway. I've pretty much just fought trainers, pressed forward as per usual, etc. So 95% of the experience points you see in her come from either 1) wild Pokemon as I pressed through grass and caves sans Repel or 2) trainer battles. Yeah, I'm rather startled myself. I still have a hard time getting used to it when my starter wants to evolve into its middle stage before I've even made it past the first gym (Gen 3 is notorious for this, I think), but this is a whole other level of ridiculous. I haven't even cleared the second gym yet and I'm already Level 27!? I wonder if this is because of the hack or if this is true in the original FRLG when you pour 95%+ of the Story Mode EXP into your starter to the exclusion of everybody else.

The moment Sanae learned her first Faith-typed move, Decision, was the moment she started being really fun to play with. Not only is it one of the most powerful moves on my team right now at 60 base power, but it's basically a retooled Shock Wave. It can never miss (which is AMAZING in this game which spams Sand-Attack so so much -_-; ), it has 20 PP, it has STAB ... it's just an all-around great move. And I can't tell you how fun it is feeling like it's 1998 all over again as I try and get my head wrapped around all of these newfangled types. You really cannot just try and equate them with the seventeen pre-existing types. There are similarities, totally, but many of the comparisons fall apart in weird ways.

Sanae's old MVP move was Gust (which is a rebranded Thundershock in this game, sans paralysis) and it's still not bad when I feel like conserving Decision's PP and I'm up against a Water- or Flying-type.

Water Pulse is fantastic because 1) 60 base power (which is great this early in the game) and 2) Serene Grace amps the chance for confusion to very nice levels. Also because Faith + Wind + Water makes for some very nice coverage.

Sanae's fourth move had been Nature Power up until very recently, but I just deleted it for Rain Dance because 1) that slot is the current low man on the totem pole anyway so there was no point in agonizing over it when I know I have better moves coming and 2) I figured that even if only for a short while I might see some benefit from the Rain Dance + Water Pulse combination. Unfortunately, most of the teams this early in the game are still only 1 to 3 Pokémon large. Also, Rain Dance only has 5 PP.

Chibi Sunny Milk:

Sunny is definitely my second favorite on the team right now. Fire is always such a fun element for players (even when it sucks in the actual games ^^; ). And here in Touhoumon Puppet Play Enhanced, it's actually a pretty nice type. Beast, Steel, Nature, and Ice are the four types weak to it. Well, I haven't seen any Steel-type or Ice-type Touhoumon yet, but Beast types are everywhere. Nazrin, Momiji, Chen, on and on the list goes. So Sunny's STAB Ember is nice for dealing with those. Also, Renko has a CMedicine on her team (Nature/Miasma, it's basically an Oddish or Paras replacement) that is an absolute bitch to take out, but aside from super-leveled Sanae my Sunny Milk is the only one able to take her on right now, making her an invaluable asset to the team.

As you can see from Sunny's stats, she's meant to be a SpAtt sweeper. So when she tried to learn Flame Wheel and I was reminded that it's a physical move, I was quite sad. ^^; I ended up canceling it since I like my other three moves better.

Chibi Luna Child:

Luna Child is a classic case of tough decisions. On the one hand, I really love her typing (Wind, which is basically Electric), her forecasted movepool, and her ability (PICK UP! ). On the other hand, if I'm going to have Sanae be Faith/Wind anyway, and if I'm hoping for an ultimately Shinto-themed team, I'm going to have to deposit the fairies. So we'll see. But for now, Luna Child is my third favorite team member. Like Sunny, she's meant to be a SpAtt sweeper. You may notice that my Luna's Speed stat is several points higher than her SpAtt stat despite her being Modest. Well ...

... that's because I've done quite a bit of grinding with Sunny and Luna. Back when I first reached Mt. Moon, Sanae was pretty much the only Pokémon to have gained any EXP. (I want to say anywhere from 98% to truly 100% of it?) So when I discovered a patch of grass to the south of Mt. Moon that had literally nobody in there except for Chens (+1 Speed EV) and Mystias (also +1 Speed EV), I decided to go to town EV training + EXP grinding for both Luna and Sunny. I got them up from around Level 4 or 5 up to around Level 11 or 12 and then proceeded into Mt. Moon. Then, there was a second bout of EXP grinding for them when we reached Cerulean. I was having trouble with both Misty (still am) and Gary Renko, so I ground the two up to Level 14, 15. Then I proceeded to re-challenge (and defeat) Renko as well as to then pummel Nugget Bridge. But yeah. Luna's Speed stat is bloated right now because of all the Mystias and Chens she's faced. Sunny should be the same way but you just can't tell right now, I guess because her natural speed was much lower than her special attack. *shrug*

Chibi Star Sapphire:

The neglected one of the three elemental fairies. ^^; As you can see, I've raised her a few levels, but the problem with her is that she's Def+SpDef bulky and Atk+SpAtk lite. I already have someone like that on the team -- her name's Chibi Sanae -- and so now that I've learned that there's no reason to hold back on evolving Chibi Sanae into regular Sanae, Chibi Star Sapphire is likely to see next to no EXP points. That stated, I did notice that my friend was using her as his Surfer. Which I may want to do if I don't want to delete Sanae's Water Pulse (given she has Serene Grace). We'll see.

Chibi Chen:

Temporary team member, nothing but. Picked her 'cause 1) I love Yukari so Chen is alright by me, 2) if I were to train her she is a physical sweeper build which is something this team may one day soon desperately need, and 3) Pick Up. \o/ She's already gotten me a Rare Candy, the little dear!

Chibi Lily White:

Total temporary team member. Just there so I can switch her out when I want to Potion or Status Heal somebody (rare) or (more commonly) when I want to switch someone in without having them take damage.

I'll give another status update once I beat Misty.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #44
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I have not one, but two 1500 word essays due tommorow, it's 8:14pm, and I haven't started on either.

But oh god I decided to check out the Touhou TVTropes page and I don't think I'll ever be done but it's just so awesome to read all this and I'm not even finished the main page nevermind Touhou's many subpages and I think I know what I'm doing for my art project.

EDIT: And now I've opened a fan vid. Fantastic.
Quote:

Last edited by Kindrindra; 12-03-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So I got to Bill's, no sweat. Same old Bill scene as normal, the only difference was the usual "POKéMON --> BONéKA" change and the fact that Bill's Pokémon sprite was replaced with what appears to be Cirno. (Hard to tell. Took a photo so you could see for yourself.) After that, with no trainers left to fight and nothing left to do up here, I headed back down to challenge Misty.

The first trainer I had trouble with in the game was Renko when we got our starters. (I had to "cheat" and use my Potion in that battle or else Renko would've demolished me. Her starter has a renamed Rough Skin for its ability. -.-; ) The second trainer I had trouble with was Brock's Boy Scout lackey. The third was Renko again south of Nugget Bridge. All three of these, however, I managed to beat. (Some, like OakRenko and Boy Scout, without losing once.) But the fourth trainer I've had trouble with, and to whom I lost twice out of three attempts, is Misty. This was our third showdown, and thankfully it proved to be our last. But it was close. Very close. TPPE Misty is no slouch.

Misty's Chibi Komachi:

The first of Misty's Touhoumon is a Level 21 Chibi Komachi. This sucker would be bad were it not for who comes next. Level 21 means you pretty much have to do Misty after Nugget Bridge and the path to Bill's cottage if you want a non-Potions shot at winning. (I actually managed to beat her all three times but that's owing to Chibi Sanae being a beast.) So what exactly does this thing have which makes it so scary? First up is Teeter Dance. Nothing spells frustration like a 100% guaranteed confusion move used by the enemy. Second is Water Pulse. I can't use mine against her and do much damage, but she can use hers and deal neutral damage and enjoy the very same confusion chance that has made me so love this move. But worst of all? Slack Off. That's right: they programmed the Staryu replacement to have Recover, just like its older brother. Couple to this the fact that Misty will use Potions if you get near the red and you pretty much have to 3HKO this sucker and pray your attack hit else you take damage you cannot afford to take.

Speed Komachi:

Misty's second Touhoumon is Speed Komachi. Yes, that's right: a fully-evolved Komachi (base stats above 500) at Level 24. With doing Nugget Bridge and the path to Bill's first and with me pouring 95% of Story Mode points into my starter, I still was "only" at Level 28. So here I am, a Level 28 Machop (to draw a comparison) going up against a Level 24 Starmie. Nice. Reaaaaaaaaal fucking nice. ¬_¬ But bring it! I welcome the challenge.

Misty's Speed Komachi's favorite move to use against Sanae is Shadow Hit. I think it's a renamed Shadow Sneak? Not really sure. It does good damage, perhaps around 1/4 of Level 28 Sanae's health per hit. And if you consider that Sanae has the same sort of build as Chikorita (better HP, Def, and SpDef than Atk, SpAtk, or Speed), then you realize that if you chose one of the other starters you'd probably be taking even more damage from this.

Misty's Speed Komachi's second favorite move is, you guessed it, Teeter Dance. Like daughter, like mother (? ), Speed Komachi is all about confusing you and forcing you to either switch out or else risk punching yourself in the face one out of every three or so tries. And that's damage you can't afford to take in this fight, 'cause ...

Speed Komachi's third favorite move is a renamed variant of Psybeam (not pictured here). It deals colossal damage to Chibi Sanae, I want to say ~40-45% HP per hit. I was fortunate that for whatever mysterious reason the A.I. seemed to prefer Shadow Hitting me instead of doing this Psybeam clone attack. But trust me when I say this fight wasn't easy, because Speed Komachi's fourth move is ...

Slack Off. That's right. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. You get Komachi down to the low yellow and she slacks off the damage. You only manage 40% or so per turn, so she's always gaining back. And should you manage to get her into the red?

That's right: Misty spams Super Potions here too. Of course. Why wouldn't she? If she was using 'em on Chibi Komachi, why wouldn't she use 'em on Big Komachi too? And before you say, "Well, she only uses them once per creature per battle, right?" ...

WRONG! Misty spams Super Potions whenever she feels like it, provided Speed Komachi is in the red. So yeah, the only way you're winning this fight is through one form of hax (A.I. decides to go easy on you, not use its best attacks, and not use a Super Potion when it should) or else through another form of hax (you land a critical hit). I won via the former ... and then I went back to fight her again to take some of the pictures provided above and I won the second way. So yeah. Those are pretty much it. But seriously: I'd like to see you beat a Level 24 Starmie that spams Psybeam with your Level 28 Machop that knows Thundershock and (imagine) has a power 60 STAB move which Starmie doesn't resist.

After I defeated Misty, I went and talked to Hatate (who replaced Slowpoke in this city) and her trainer again. Now, I should clarify that when I first get into a city, I do everything else before advancing the main plot and I mean everything. Go into every building, click on every suspicious boulder or open patch of grass, talk to every citizen, check every garbage can, you name it, I do it. So I had already talked to these two once before. But on a whim I went to talk to them again since I thought they were cute, and this time I discovered that they have different things they can say each time you click on them. The scene pictured above made me laugh at how cutely funny and tongue-in-cheek it was for Hatate. ("Hataters gonna hate," as they say!) But then I talked to her trainer to see what all of her messages were, and ...

HOLY SHIT. That poor Hatate. When I talked to her the first time, the trainer gave me the "Hatate, Tailwind!" conversation. Well that one wasn't so bad! She was just trying to get her Pokémon to do stuff and it wasn't doing it. But that "Hatate, punch!" one is just awful! Poor Hatate.

So after that, I headed on into the Dig home, beat the TR Grunt, and got Dig. [/whatelseisnew][/isthis1999?] Headed on south to Vermilion, dropped Lily White off at the Daycare (because why the hell not), fought all the trainers in the patch of grass above Vermilion, talked to everyone in the northwest quadrant of town, got the bike ticket, and headed back up to Cerulean to ...

... get my bike. Hopped on and was immediately disappointed at how much GameFreak tried to be faithful to the original games ... by making the bicycle so much slower than the bikes we're now used to. ^^; I sorely want my Acro Bike from RuSa. I almost feel like the bike is slower than the running shoes! But whatever. At least I don't have to hold down the B button all the time now.

Right now I'm in the patch of grass to the east of Vermilion. Took a break from playing and decided I was sick and tired of looking up the Touhoumon on a case-by-case basis for their effort value yields, so I'm working on an alphabetized list of all the Touhoumon by EV category. It's incomplete for the entire game but here's what I believe to be a complete list for the game up through getting the NationalDex. Could be wrong though since I've read in some user comments about Touhoumon you get during Story Mode who are definitely not on this list (e.g. Rinnosuke, who I heard you get in Silph Co.'s headquarters?).

==HP==
Eirin,C. (2)
Eirin (3)
Hina,C. (1)
Hina (2)
Ichirin,C. (1)
Ichirin (3)
Kaguya,C. (2)
Kaguya (3)
Kogasa,C. (1)
Kogasa (3)
Koishi,C. (2)
Koishi (3)
Lily White,C. (1)
Lily White (2)
Medicine,C. (1)
Medicine (2)
Reimu,C. (2)
Reimu (3)
Rumia,C. (1)
Suika,C. (1)
Suika (3)
Tokiko,C. (1)
Tokiko (2)
Yamame,C. (1)
Yuka,C. (1)
Yuka (3)
Yuugenma (3)

==Attack==
Byakuren,C. (2)
Flandre,C. (2)
Flandre (3)
Goliath (3)
Keine,A. (3)
Meiling,C. (1)
Meiling (3)
Momiji,C. (1)
Momiji (2)
Mokou,C. (2)
Mokou (3)
Remilia,C. (2)
Remilia (3)
Sakuya,C. (1)
Shanghai (1)
Wriggle,C. (1)
Wriggle (3)
Youmi,C. (1)
Youmu (3)
Yuugi,C. (1)
Yuugi (3)

==Defense==
Kikuri (3)
Kisume,C. (1)
Kisume (3)
Hourai (1)
Rumia (3)
Shou (3)
Tenshi,C. (1)
Tenshi (3)

==Speed==
Aya,C. (1)
Aya (3)
Chen,C. (1)
Chen (3)
Daiyousei,C. (1)
Daiyousei (2)
Kedama (2)
Lily Black,C. (1)
Lily Black (2)
Lunachild,C. (1)
Lunachild (2)
Lyrica,C. (1)
Lyrica (3)
Marisa,C. (1)
Marisa (3)
Mystia,C. (1)
Nazrin,C. (1)
Nazrin (3)
Nue,C. (2)
Nue (3)
Ran,C. (2)
Ran (3)
Reisen II (1)
Rin,C. (1)
Tewi,C. (1)
Tewi (2)

==Special Attack==
Alice,C. (1)
Byakuren (3)
Cirno,C. (1)
Cirno (3)
Iku,C. (1)
Iku (3)
Keine,C. (1)
Keine (3)
Kanako,C. (2)
Koakuma,C. (1)
Koakuma (2)
Komachi,C. (1)
Komachi (3)
Letty,C. (1)
Letty (3)
Merlin,C. (1)
Merlin (3)
Minoriko,C. (1)
Minoriko (2)
Nitori,C. (1)
Nitori (3)
Parsee,C. (1)
Parsee (3)
Patchouli,C. (1)
Reisen,C. (1)
Reisen (3)
Satori,C. (1)
Satori (3)
Shikieiki,C. (1)
Shikieiki (3)
Shizuha,C. (1)
Shizuha (2)
Shou,C. (1)
Sunnymilk,C. (1)
Sunnymilk (2)
Suwako,C. (2)
Utsuho,C. (1)
Utsuho (3)
Yuyuko,C. (2)
Yuyuko (3)

==Special Defense==
Hatate,C. (1)
Konngara (3)
Layla,C. (1)
Lunasa,C. (1)
Murasa,C. (1)
Murasa (3)
Patchouli (3)
Sanae,C. (1)
Sanae (3)
Sariel (3)
Star Sapphire,C. (1)
Star Sapphire (2)
Yukari,C. (2)
Yukari (3)

==Combinations==
Alice (1 Def, 1 SpAtk, 1 SpDef)
Hatate (1 SpAtk, 1 SpDef, 1 Spd)
Kanako (2 SpAtk, 1 SpDef)
Layla (1 SpAtk, 1 SpDef, 1 Spd)
Lunasa (1 HP, 1 Def, 1 SpDef)
Mystia (1 Atk, 2 Spd)
Rin (1 Atk, 1 SpDef, 1 Spd)
Sakuya (2 Atk, 1 Spd)
Suwako (2 SpAtk, 2 Spd)
Toyohime,C. (1 Def, 1 SpAtk)
Toyohime (2 Def, 1 SpAtk)
Yamame (2 HP, 1 Atk)
Yorihime,C. (1 Atk, 1 SpAtk)
Yorihime (1 Atk, 1 SpAtk, 1 Spd)

And that's about it. It's late, so I might not play any more tonight. We'll see if I play enough to post again tomorrow or not.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-04-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #46
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So, after splurging on Touhou stuff, I now know who Maribel and Renko are, and I cannot agree more that it's genius they are used as the main characters for the entire series of games. And I also have a bunch of conspiracy theories in my pocket, so.

PMD Touhou would be cool, it's a shame those game's coding isn't understood very well (SHIRO files and all that jazz). I could try to crack the coding for the earlier ones, though, since I'm pretty sure I'm all of two steps from cracking the Move and Stat data of the second one wide open.

EDIT: My investigations have revealed that the Nuzlocke forum (or at least the modding section) appears to be downright SATURATED with Touhou fans. Then again, I suppose this forum is logically filled with machoists who love fighting against downright evil odds.
Quote:

Last edited by Kindrindra; 12-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, Maribel's a fascinating character, especially if you love Yukari. Though I know not everyone likes the conspiracy theories. ^^; Still, since you mentioned TV Tropes, may as well quote for you their own bit about her:

Quote:
Maribel Hearn

A human from outside the border, she is one of the members of an Occult Studies Club. She has the power to sense and possibly cross boundaries, and has entered Gensokyo (among other places) in her dreams. Maribel and Renko apparently come from Twenty Minutes into the Future, where some foods such as bamboo shoots and strawberries are only available as synthetics. Not only are many edible plants extinct, but it is a world where "children do not smile". Probably has some sort of connection to Yukari Yakumo, though when asked by fans ZUN has declined to elaborate.
Quote:
Tropes associated with Maribel:

Captain Ersatz: That hat looks like Yukari's and they both wear a purple dress in the same fashion. Conveniently, Yukari is known for being a heavy sleeper during the day, a time when Maribel would most likely be awake. Renko believes that Maribel's ability to sense boundaries is somehow evolving into the ability to manipulate boundaries (the same ability as Yukari), while Yukari is often known for recognizing Outside World technology. She detests lycoris flowers (a plant that symbolizes death also known as "higan bana" in Japanese) and Yukari explicitly states that if she ever was in a fight against Eiki Shiki (the judge of death in Gensokyo whose stage was covered with these flowers), Yukari would lose. In Symposium of Post-mysticism, Yuyuko (Yukari's best friend) is depicted visiting the Outside World invisibly and teasing a confused Maribel. Finally, Maribel mentions wanting to visit the moon and thought of "another way to get there" while looking at its reflection; Yukari mentions that long ago she once travelled to the moon using its reflection, just to look around. Make of that what you will.

Meaningful Name: Lafcadio Hearn, a famous horror writer who translated tales of youkai into English, eventually became a Japanese citizen and took the name Koizumi Yakumo. Following the Yukari theory, Hearn would correspond to Maribel and Yakumo would correspond to Yukari after her naturalization in Gensokyo (canonically "Yukari Yakumo" is a name Yukari chose for herself; her original name has not been given).

In addition, it's been suggested that Maribel's first name is a corruption of "mulberry", a fruit that turns dark purple when it's ripe. Yukari means "violet".

Time Travel: A message Maribel left behind on one of her trips to Gensokyo was discovered by the natives... hundreds of years ago. The running theory is that she will eventually become Trapped in the Past. (Talon's note: consider that time travel is easy with the mastery over boundaries that Yakumo Yukari has.)

What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Fanon has made many interpretations of the above "Maribel = Yukari" theory. It is also even harder to dismiss the fact that her appearance is practically Yukari but younger.
So yeah. She's an interesting take on one of my top favorite Touhous, Yakumo Yukari. Even if ZUN eventually canon confirms that the two are not the same person (or even the same person but just in different stages of their lives or from different alternate realities), it's still fun to see all of the connections the two have to one another.

I'm kind of disappointed to see that TV Tropes doesn't mention any theories about Renko having any possible relation with Tenshi. TBH, it's not like you have to find a 1:1 pairing for each of the girls. Of course you could just leave it at "Maribel is Yukari but Renko is an ordinary human." But I do think it's interesting that Tenshi, whose canon introduction was rather late (she came with the second fighter, 10.5), sports a hat with the same general design as Renko's. (Compare: Renko, Tenshi.) Given Tenshi's established relationship with Yukari ("we go way back," "cats and dogs ... yet friends? Maybe?", both are quite powerful beings), given that ZUN (along with Tasogare Frontier) created her so late but established her as having this big backstory with Yukari, and given the hat, it raises some questions. That stated, any theory that Renko is Tenshi (or anyone else in Gensokyo) is lacking so much of the meat that the "Maribel = Yukari" conspiracy theory has.
  • no name puns. The best you're going to get is "Reimu and Renko both start with the letters 'Re' and are five letters long in English. ^^;" WRONG! :o Totally forgot about this. See edit at bottom of post.
  • they don't look that similar. Some fans argue Reimu and Renko look similar but I don't think they look that similar aside from the hair style. Also, I really don't fancy the implication that some fans seem to have that Reimu is Renko. For starters, Reimu already has her own canon backstory. As for Tenshi, even the hats don't look super alike, much less the entire costume. This is quite unlike Maribel's costume which HOLY COW looks 80-90% identical to Yukari's.
  • the characters fans might want to argue Renko as being already have backstories which prevent Renko from being them. Notably, my theory about Tenshi hits a huge roadblock with the fact that Tenshi has celestial parents. If ZUN and Tasogare Frontier really did create Tenshi with the intent of having her be Renko, then they wouldn't have done this, you'd think. Reimu likewise already has a backstory with next to no overlap with Renko's. (Where is Renko's interest in Shintoism? Why would someone majoring in physics wind up a shrine maiden in Gensokyo? Does Reimu really strike you as the physics type? ^^; I don't see why some fans are pursuing this theory.)
But I dunno. Even if it's not a perfect fit, there are little things which make me wonder about a possible Tenshi-Renko connection. Like the fact that Tenshi is a Celestial and that Renko can tell the time just by looking at the positions of the stars in the sky and telling her position by looking at the Moon. Or the black widebrim hat. Or the fact that Yukari and Tenshi (as of Tenshi's introduction in 10.5) form a pair, just like Maribel and Renko form a pair. Who knows, who knows ...

EDIT: Wow, I totally forgot about this. When Tenshi was first unveiled, fans speculated that the reading of her name was "Tenko" since that's normally how 子 is read when used as a suffix in girls' names. So consider the similarity. Renko. Tenko. Renko. Tenko. Yeah, that is pretty good evidence of a pun, possibly even better than Lafcadio Hearn --> Koizumi Yakumo, never mind Maribel --> Mulberry --> "they're both purple! " --> Yukari. :o

I also totally forgot about this:
Quote:
One of [Tenshi's] color palettes in Touhou Hisoutensoku resembles Renko Usami.
So yeah. I wonder why more fans don't share this theory with me? ^^; I guess because of the family conundrum.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-04-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #48
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Out of curiosity for everyone...

Were there any characters you got to know before entering the fandom? If so, which ones?

For me, it's definitely a yes. Many I had only glimpsed in videos with their music or somesuch, but... I'd have to say Reisen was the biggest one. I remember seeing some of their battle videos and stuff, and, back before I was able to notice the things which set characters apart, she was noticeable. Let's see you not recognize a Bunny Girl with freaky eyes and (generally) a badass pose. Actually, she probably really stuck in my head because my thoughts could be roughly translated to: "This is not a bunny girl to fanboy over. This is a bunny girl to FEAR."

And, also, the question that MUST be asked...
Who's your favorite character?
Quote:
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #49
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Were there any characters you got to know before entering the fandom? If so, which ones?
Almost certainly Reimu, who until the light bulb goes off in your head that "heeeeeeeeeey, this is the exact same miko I keep seeing over and over again! " strikes pretty much anyone as just an ordinary miko. I'm pretty sure (though it's hard to be 100% certain) that I had some fanart of Reisen on my old laptop prior to knowing what Touhou was. It's been so long ago for me (I learned what Touhou was circa 2005, 2006) that I can't be sure of my answers. But almost certainly Reimu.

Quote:
Who's your favorite character?
That is so tough. I guess I'll start of by listing my personal favorites.
  • Yakumo Yukari
  • Reiuji Utsuho
  • Hijiri Byakuren
  • Kochiya Sanae
  • Reisen Udongein Inaba
  • Nagae Iku
  • Hakurei Reimu
There are quite a few others who over the years I've come to like, like Moriya Suwako and Ibuki Suika. Then there are others who I used to like more than I do now, like Saigyouji Yuyuko. (I still like her, just not as much as I like others. )

If you forced me to choose only one ... it would probably be Yukari. But that is like making me choose between my brain and my liver.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #50
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
So, I've been playing Touhoumon for the last two days now. Despite knowing little about the franchise other than Talon's rather great introductory posts.

This is a nice pace for me, and I am into the game. So far, I have every Touhou in Viridian Forest, and of course all the rest of them.

And Nature Power seems to be like Grass Knot according to the Wiki.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games