UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Not a ton of progress but some things I'm thinking/wondering about

1. The intro puzzle was hard (lol) because I had the paper upside down and the triangles gave different numbers depending on how one looked at them. But what I couldn't get is why only half of the code was on seperate paper. For such a deliberate puzzle, that had almost no relevance to the problem.

2. The "masked man" I think is a girl. The general assumption people make when they see a masked person is that person is male. Even though I haven't played Metroid, I'm aware of the Samus Aran situation so no way am I closing my mind to that.

Just got to the part where #9 goes crazy. That guy's look is absolutely hilarious, like Kimura-sensei but less clueless.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

TRIPLE POST I know, but I don't know when I'll have internet again, so I felt the need to post a status update now-

I think I'm close to finishing off the first route. I don't know what end it is, exactly. And haha, I asked Talon once already how long this is and didn't notice for fear of spoilers, but from how it's progressing (provided there isn't a huge post-9th Door adventure) I don't think this'll take too long, since I'm making good progress.

Spoiler-tagged in case BBB wanders in:

Spoiler: show

I'm pretty sure with the death of the 9th man, most of the cast is already doomed to die because of the properties of the 9th digital root = 9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 45 = 9. So, I think in the final route everyone's going to survive, and that I'm going to get the four/five BAD ENDS first before unlocking it.

Regarding Zero. I've said this before I think, but I'm open to the possibility of "him" being a woman, simply because it's a common assumption masked people are male. The game seems to want to suggest that someone among the cast is more involved - if this is indeed a "closed room" story, then that would HAVE to be the case, but we don't know anything about Zero yet.

I'm bored by the puzzles, to be honest. The first one was hard and there was a time pressure, but the other ones are like, look around for clues and put stuff together. Pretty uninteresting compared with what I'm used to with Infinity novels, but then again I think 999 is aimed at a more general/younger audience than Infinity novels.

I might be looking into it too much, but some of the puzzles I'm keeping my eyes on in case they hint at something (like a hidden plot, I've heard something about a Pharmaceutical company involved, surprise surprise) or is subtle foreshadowing for the character's ultimate fate. For example, in the baccarat table, I couldn't help but see the card numbers as representative of the characters. Thus, I went through the 8th Door immediately after that incident, but the numbers failed to add up.

Most suspicious guys:

Snake, if only because the 9th man said "he lied to me!" and the assumption the player is supposed to make is Zero, but really only Snake had that information in the first place about the RED/DEAD stuff. Also, the fact that the 9th Man attacked Clover, Snake's supposed sister, seems suspicious. Like in Kid's Route, I suspect most of the characters have a strong link to at least one other character, and weaker, more tenuous links to other characters. Like,

Strong/Weak

June: Junpei/Ace
Snake: Clover/9th Man
Seven: Lotus/???
Santa: ???/???

I don't think I'll get all of that in this one route, though.

Impressions-

Seven reminds me of a stupid(?) version of Ten or Kaiji. It's obvious he's intimate with Japan's grimy underbelly and hinted that he had a relationship with Lotus. I like him a lot, though, I'm not feeling much from any of the other characters, even Junpei. Junpei is OK, but not high on my list of awesome VN MCs.

I hate the fun-house they're stuck in, it's really creepy. I'm still unsure if they're even in a ship and not a Hollywood set designed to be like a ship.

Also, I was kind of disappointed that the "laboratory" (which I expected to be a clinical lab!!) turned out to be like an operating room. But there's an OR too...I don't get it.

I expect to finish 1.5 routes by tomorrow at this pace, so more to come...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You haven't seen the creepiest room yet. ^^;

And a lot of your theories are fun for us to read since you're coming at it from a fresh, uninformed angle and making lots of big speculative calls that are solidly backed up by what little evidence you have ... and yet completely fall apart in light of the mountains of evidence you've yet to unravel. It's expected. There's nothing you can do about it. So don't feel bad. In the words of the Magic School Bus's Ms. Frizzle: "Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" Not much mess involved in playing a DS mystery novel game , but you can take her up on the first two tips tons.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

You're pretty hot on at least one of your speculations though. ^~
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I completely forgot about this until Doppel decided to pick it up. Anyway, I picked up a copy of it. I'll start playing it when I get some of my other things cleared out.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I got the "Axe End".

I expect to be without internet for a LONG time, so this will probably be my only post today, so I hope someone reads this -

How do I skip text?

The game said I had to repeatedly hold down buttons, but after finishing the first route, I clicked "memory" option and see the axe among the six possible endings, but I can't skip the text. It's irritating because I want to go back to the route I picked and change a few things, to make sure that the endings aren't determined by the first action taken.

Thoughts on the end-

I anticipated there would be another person on the ship with the Zero Bracelet - even though there were nine people, adding zero doesn't do anything to the numbers, so I figured that the story isn't so completely closed room that I could ignore the possibility of there being another. That was a huge err in Remember11, after-all, with "Enomoto".

I saw that ending coming as soon as I saw the axe, 'twas a pity. I affirm that the puzzles are still boring, and not very difficult, especially in comparison to the first puzzle. That last one in the captain's quarters gave me pause for a few minutes, but I figured it out before any of the characters had to pipe in. If that's par for the game, I'm disappointed...

I've confirmed Clover isn't Zero, at least. Junpei isn't either, unless there's a surprise twist or something coming out of left field, so that leaves any of the other characters as suspects.

Random speculation: Seven is the father of Lotus' baby.

Also, 999 = 27 = 9. Pretty clever, no? Past experience with Infinity tells me that the numbers aren't central to the plot and are just cool, flash things to impress the player. But one never knows.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #32
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

You should be able to skip text by holding down the right button. Though apparently people say you can make it go even faster by simultaneously holding down the L button. Never tried it though.

I don't think the puzzles were particularly difficult either. The only instances where I can recall getting stuck were when I had an idea of what to do, but simply couldn't find what I was looking for or made some mistake. Although I'll admit the Shower room and Library had me stumped for a while, when the answers were pretty simple. ^^;
Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The puzzles aren't meant to be hard (I think), they're meant to be entertaining. And sometimes the results are meant to be more entertaining than the actions undertaken to get there. For instance, when you first played, did you choose to go with Santa, Lotus, and June? Or did you choose to go with Snake and Seven? If you chose to go with Lotus and her group, then ...

Didn't you think the dog picture was interesting? I totally didn't see the dog the first time around, but once I'd seen it, there was no way that I could unsee it. That's cool!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #34
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What I'm worried about is that I somehow triggered something that isn't allowing me to skip text. It's like, in Koihime Musou one can't use the universal skip key, CTRL, to skip text the first time one's played the game. I'm afraid that even though this is my second play-through, the game hasn't registered me as completing it yet because of the option I picked at the main screen, the memory one (option #2 right below continue).

Why? I've held down all manner of keys, and key combinations, and am not getting any skipped text. I just want to confirm that things are working properly, or that I didn't do something stupid that I should watch out for when I pick the next end.

My exact play-route for the first game was:

Door 5 (Snake, Seven)
Door 8 (Lotus, Clover)
Door 1 (Ace, Clover)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #35
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Didn't you think the dog picture was interesting? I totally didn't see the dog the first time around, but once I'd seen it, there was no way that I could unsee it. That's cool!
I just looked for the dog picture online, and found a link to a page about the actual experiment:

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC12/Sheldrak.htm

See if you can guess the two images used in the original. Though I thought these ones were pretty easy: I got the first right away, and the second only took another moment or two of study. Maybe it helps that I'm looking at the screen from far away.

I'm not sure if this is related, but last year my my Anatomy teacher showed me these two pictures when studying optical illusions. If you haven't seen them before, you could try giving them a shot as well.

That's odd that you can't skip text, Dopple. I don't know what might've caused it. Maybe it's an emulation issue?

By the way, since you also chose Door 5 first and Talon and I discussed our initial reasons for picking 4 and 5 respectively, I'm curious to hear what your reasoning was.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #36
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You guys are just crazy motherfuckers who like to rock the boat. WHEN I HAVE A BOMB-BRACELET STRAPPED TO MY WRIST, I CHOOSE NOT TO MAKE ENEMIES FIVE MINUTES INTO THE SURVIVAL GAME!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #37
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
You guys are just crazy motherfuckers who like to rock the boat. WHEN I HAVE A BOMB-BRACELET STRAPPED TO MY WRIST, I CHOOSE NOT TO MAKE ENEMIES FIVE MINUTES INTO THE SURVIVAL GAME!
DOPPLE DON'T CLICK

The bomb is a lie.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #38
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post
I just looked for the dog picture online, and found a link to a page about the actual experiment:

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC12/Sheldrak.htm

See if you can guess the two images used in the original. Though I thought these ones were pretty easy: I got the first right away, and the second only took another moment or two of study. Maybe it helps that I'm looking at the screen from far away.

I'm not sure if this is related, but last year my my Anatomy teacher showed me these two pictures when studying optical illusions. If you haven't seen them before, you could try giving them a shot as well.
"I DON'T SEE ANYTHING! ARE YOU KIDDING, GIRL?" - me at you just now

Looking at the top one for a few minutes, here's my guess:
All I think I maybe see are a man (center) and a woman (center, left of the man). Their heads are up top, their long bodies extend vertically down to the bottom. But I can't make heads or tails of what's to either side of them. Aladdin's lamp below the man's head is also not helping matters. Is that a muffler? Is that his twisted mangled arm pointing at something? I have no clue!

Picture two? No need for a spoiler tag this time -- as I have absolutely no clue. Crazy-wrong thoughts include a volcanic eruption and a panda staring up at you like the cats in cat meme pictures do when they know they've been naughty. Clearly wrong.

Looked at answers ... Picture 1, close enough. (I give myself the point. ) Picture 2, not even close. XD

Now, on to your anatomy teacher's pictures ...

Picture 3:
A dalmation pissing on the sidewalk?

Picture 4:
Very confident on this one. A bearded man looking at us. His big beard's the big central black blob. You can see his nose and eyes nearby. The white to our left of his head (so, to his right of his head) is an upstretched hand waving at us or beckoning us or something.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I picked Door 5 because I realized fairly early everyone was boned without the 9th Man, so I figured I'd pursue the people who were most interesting to me, i.e. Snake and Seven. I was prepared for a Bad End from the second I decided the 9th Man was essential.

I picked Door 8 because in the gambling room, I thought the cards were trying to tell me something, and one needed a score of 9 to beat the 8 of Spades that appeared.

I tried to stay away from June and Lotus, because June was boring/uninteresting and Lotus was kind of creepy. I kind of respected her a bit more after the operating room programming, but it irked me that it seemed like the only way out of that room was her coincidentally having the skills to brute force the password. I mean, without her, how would one have escaped that room...? Also, the contrived mechanism of getting the mannequin to explode into fire seemed almost Rube-Goldberg to me. Why not freakin' light a match? I just found matches in Door 4, that's kind of outrageous and was rather scary.

Also, having gone through Door 4, June and Junpei really piss me off. Junpei reunites with her for 3 hours and suddenly he goes, "I see her as more than a childhood friend". WTF? it takes Shirogane Takeru 18 years, 3 months and CONSTANT EXPOSURE to realize he's in love with Sumika, and here you want to go at it like rabbits after a mere 3 hours?! And 8 years of separation? Duuuuude, go find a numbered room!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #40
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

XD It definitely helps if you view the images from afar. I'm currently in my twin-sized bed with the monitor on my desk at the foot of it.

As for pictures 3 and 4, pretty darn close.

Picture 3:
It's a dalmatian sniffing the ground. I think there's supposed to be a tree in the background as well.

Picture 4:
You've pretty much got the physical description right. Now can you guess who the person is? Hint: It's a religious figure.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, since you've said that, I'd have to guess:

Jesus.

Maybe that's too obvious. But I don't know of any other religious figures who wear that style of beard. Hell, even the historic Jesus may not have worn that style of beard.

My original thought was, "Wow, the guy looks a lot like Jim Henson merged with Vincent Van Gogh!" But neither Jim (RIP ) nor Vincent (same) were religious figures.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #42
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Well, since you've said that, I'd have to guess:

Jesus.

Maybe that's too obvious. But I don't know of any other religious figures who wear that style of beard. Hell, even the historic Jesus may not have worn that style of beard.

My original thought was, "Wow, the guy looks a lot like Jim Henson merged with Vincent Van Gogh!" But neither Jim (RIP ) nor Vincent (same) were religious figures.
Correct. ^^

By the way, I think I took the same first path as you, Dopple. I believe the reasons I picked Doors 8 and 1 were because...

(spoiler just in case - safe for Dopple to click)

I wanted to support/keep an eye on Clover. ...Which didn't end so well anyway.

I also wanted to investigate as many characters as possible, so I decided not to team up wih Seven again.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 03-24-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #43
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's been a while, but after SUPERFAILing SUPERFAIL I gathered the courage to continue this adventure.

Pretty close to finishing the first puzzle on June's side of events. It does bug that June is so flirty, as I've said before. Even more that Santa seems to hate clovers, which instantly makes me think of CLOVER the person.

Lotus referencing baccarat...were I not who I am, I would have assumed it to be just a curious coincidence, but it definitely suggests a strong connection between her and the baccarat player, Seven. I did think that the numbers in baccarat did bear resemblance to the players.

Also, something I forgot to mention way back. I'd been bugged by the name "Nonary" but then I remembered "Nonane" which is a straight chain alkane with nine carbons. So it's the game of 9's! How...unsurprising?

HAHAHAHA, boy, what timing. They start to break down "nonary" mere seconds after I posted ^.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 03-26-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #44
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I played for a good chunk of today. I'm again disappointed at how slow the game is...since I've seen several scenes through all over again, though I'm in a completely different world from what I was in before, I think.

I busted into Door 3, and that got me paired with Seven and Lotus in Door 2. Seven has been hinted to be affiliated with Japan's grimy side, and earlier used a prison/police term, so I got the impression he was a detective. I'm leaning in that direction even more now that his "memory" appears to have come back, maybe he's a private eye? Perhaps his relationship to Lotus was to find her child, he might not necessarily have a romantic history with her.

Unfortunately, I've stopped proactively trying to connect the puzzles to any greater mystery. Muv-Luv's sensory overload blunted my problem solving neurons, though I'm still trying to work out the plot before it's dumped in my lap. I struggled with the puzzles on this side of the game compared with how I breezed through the earlier ones, and I definitely attribute that to mental sluggishness.

(I hope Sumika didn't hear that, she might make me apologize to slugs).

Oh, I'm pretty scared right now!

When I heard the story of June and the bunnies, I figured she might have those murderous tendancies...imagine if her killing the bunnies was a ploy to get closer to Junpei? I'm not disregarding crazy obsessive childhood romances ever again!

Seeing the other three killed was sort of a surprise, but June apparently as the culprit...not so much. The Sun Door unlocked, though, what's up with that I wonder?

Looks like I got the Submarine End.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 04-10-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You get information piecewise in each of the paths. IIRC it's Door 2 which leads you to a Lotus / Seven / Junpei route where you learn a lot about Seven's past. (It should be the route you pick from the pieces of paper, i.e. the third fork in the road moment of the game.) Did you go through that route? Is that how you learned a bit more about Seven? Door 2 (if I'm right that it is Door 2) is probably one of the best routes in the game in my opinion, not for the puzzle (which is a little too drawn-out for my tastes) but for the story you get. That, and it caps off with what is undoubtedly the scariest/creepiest room in the game. Even moreso than the room you went into with Lotus and Clover (at the second fork in the road -- the room with all of the hospital beds).
Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #46
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I think my path this time was

Door 4 (June, Santa, Lotus)
Door 3 (Santa, June, Seven)
Door 2 (Lotus, Seven)

In comparison to my previous play, I gave everyone the cold shoulder when looking for Snake, and tried to alleviate Clover's suspicions rather than inflame them.

I saw the whole cast murdered by an unknown assailant. Enomoto? Whoever this person is, he/she has a master-key and can seemingly open any of the doors on the ship. I don't know how June was able to get though the Sun Door without the Sun Key, but certainly that individual could.

Looks like I can confirm NONE of the cast is Zero, or at least responsible for the ship festivites, unless someons suicided or faked their death during the scene where Junpei ran by.

What about the captain, though? Clearly, the captain didn't explode, but since he was behind a locked door and none of the puzzles affected him, I wonder what was up with him or if he's actually the real Zero.

Talon, I'm going to be getting the third Bad End (I presume), what do I have to do differently to get the two non-Bad Ends after that?

Speculation on villain:

I'm entertaining the idea the villain is unrelated to Zero, and is there to upset Zero's Nonary Game. Multiple parties involved isn't something expected, and if Zero himself is the captain with the zero bracelet, the unknown assailant is quite a fearful being, since he appears to have unrestricted access across the ship.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 04-10-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Interesting theory you've got there. Not saying it's right: just that it's interesting.

In response to some of the questions/frustrations you've voiced trying to sleuth things out, I could tell you a few things as non-spoilery as possible. Or you could just keep playing and see them for yourself. It's your call.
About the possibility of people faking their deaths because you saw everybody die and yet ...:
The only path where everybody seems to die is the submarine escape path. And iirc from the summer the speculation in Japan was that the killer in that route is a not-dead-yet Cap'n with the 0 bracelet. When I first played the route myself, I assumed that June had deceived Junpei, faked her own death, and then axed him in the back. But I couldn't possibly make heads nor tails of why she'd do such a thing. You seem to have similarly locked onto June but just as similarly seem to be at a loss for explaining that scene. I'd just say, treat each of the endings separately. The true end to this game is not a Blick Winkel path where all the previous endings all contribute to the plot. For instance, I'm pretty sure you've seen the Psycho Ax Killer ending already. If not, don't read on. If so, open this nested spoiler:
Obviously Clover does not go crazy in the submarine route. Nor does she go crazy in the true route. Small spoiler, perhaps, but I just wanted to get that out of the way for you: the "crazy Clover" ending is an isolated thing.

I think it's the same for the submarine route. So you shouldn't go too crazy trying to figure out how the killer in that route was and then applying his/her identity to the killer in other routes. It may not always match up.

About getting the other ends:
I'd honestly say use a walkthrough for it. I did. No regrets. This is one of those games that can be mercilessly unforgiving as far as docking goes. You have to get the exact combination of doors to open particular routes, sort of like putting in the numbers to a padlock to get it to open. It's not like most other VNs where you only have to get X many points in a particular path-column to dock onto that path. So just head on over to GameFAQS, seriously, pull up your walkthrough of choice (probably you'd prefer one with the least spoilers -- there was one like that when I played the game, and it was what I used to dock onto the final two paths), and have at. Asking me to tell you is at this point no different ethically from looking it up yourself since I'd have to look it up for you to tell you since it's been too long since I played.

About how June (or anybody else) could have gotten through a door that she didn't have the key to ...:
Some parts of the ship you've already seen do this too, but ...
I'm pretty sure that the area the Sun Key leads to has two keyed doors that grant access to it from opposite ends of the boat. One is the Sun Key, the other is some other key. And I'm pretty sure that when Junpei's group has one, the other group has the other. If I'm wrong? Then I'm wrong. And you should definitely then be considering possibilities including but not limited to:
* what if June is Zero?
* what if June is not Zero but has the ability to open various doors?
* what if the door was never locked in the first place?
* what if the door was locked when they first checked it but was later unlocked, unseen by the party?
* what if the Captain opened the door from the other side and, once opened, it remained unlocked?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #48
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It looks like I might be on the "safe" end, is this the "best end" or simply the other "good end"? I intend to get the final Bad End (the psycho axe one) before trying out the good ones.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #49
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Alright, looks like I'm about to hit the Axe Knife End.

Some speculation, based on what Talon's suggested-

Given what I've seen in Steins;Gate, I'm starting to question the order of events I'm presented with. For example, the endings seem to split off upon investigating the last three doors - [1], [2] and [6]. Assuming that during the decision-making process of picking these doors, the route is the same, that leads to several unusual questions I can only really explain with there being some kind of time anomaly or subjective perception of the passage of time.

That is,

If during the Submarine End the killer was the Captain, that would imply the Knife End occurred later than the Submarine one. Because upon entering Door 1, the Captain was already dead, but is apparently still alive in the Submarine End. The knife was in the Captain's back, so unless he suicided, someone had to have stabbed him with his own knife before Junpei's team discovered he was dead. Since the puzzle wasn't solved, I guess he opened the door and died in there after he was stabbed. The only way I could explain this is if Junpei and team started Door 1 later than they did Door 2, allowing time for one of the other cast to kill the Captain before he goes on his murderous rampage. So, maybe Santa or Seven?

I'm not sure if I should trust the chiming of the clock anymore, as the only time-piece in the story, if it's mislead, the Nonary Game contestants could just as easily be beguiled.

Alright, now that the "bad" ends are out of the way, time to try the "good" ones.

About to hit the "Safe End".

Santa just revealed his sister died 9 years prior. Since that was the same time of the abductions/experiment, I'm guessing she was taken aboard this ship. I think Zero hijacked the ship for his game, making use of the puzzles inside that already were there as part of the experiment to gather people who had connections to the abductions that occured years before. Maybe June and Junpei were among those kids abducted. The pharmaceutical company might have been using the ship for centuries.

I also strongly suspect Ace might be involved somehow. He knew about the drug he injected himself with (would anyone inject themselves with a drug, let alone a mysterious one on a derelict ship?) and his backstory hasn't been touched on at all, so I suspect he may have killed Snake (who, in turn, killed the 9th Man by giving impartial information) in collaboration with the Captain (1+2+0 = 3).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 04-13-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #50
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

OH WOW, I nailed that right in time. Santa just dropped a bomb right on my face.

OK, on the final path now (I presume). Saw stuff I hadn't seen before.

I'm starting to suspect Zero is Junpei or June. Maybe June never existed, and is a psychic projection of Alice like Coco was? Zero talking to Junpei out of nowhere seemed like he'd be really close to Junpei...the only place he could be with Junpei at all times is within himself. All this non-verbal communication stuff, though, is kind of irritating. I was expecting more than what the game is suggesting - that Cradle Pharmaceutical was testing drugs 9 years before that would awaken senses for non-verbal, distance communication, thrusting kids into emergency situations.

I wonder who's played the game before. Clover seems to know about the events of 9 years past, and Santa seems to have implied some familiarity as the clover proverb he suggested was recognized by Clover herself (and it's implied Santa's sister died on the ship) but he's unaware of the Cradle Pharmaceutical implications. Snake, however, has never been on the ship before. Lotus hasn't, Seven has, Ace hasn't (though he started the project), June and Junpei unknown.

What?

Maybe Clover is Santa's real sister or something? No, I'm overthinking things again.

So I guess Zero is the telepath, and he/she's been monitoring everything remotely? Perhaps June is Zero (perhaps Santa's sister?) and is in a coma somewhere, and participated in the previous Nonary Game. The captain might be a hold-over from that game or might be the true 6th Person (though June's face was on one of the cards in the cargo hold) given his bracelet. Current June is an astral projection.

Earlier in the Safe End, Ace said the 9th Man knew his past. Perhaps the 9th Man is in fact the head of R+D for Cradle Pharma? Their pictures look similar. Also...if Zero were Santa, why would he be surprised at Ace being Cradle's CEO? I think, if he knew he had the 0 Bracelet, it would have been revealed to him in the door he came out of. Junpei naming Akane "June" would have hidden her knowing she had the 9th Bracelet (which seems likely in my view, she probably knew all along, as did Santa).

OMG! MAGIC SQUARE!

I LOVE MAGIC SQUARE

I had this puzzle game when I was younger, called "Merlin", and the #6 game was Magic Square. Actually, cute coincidence, there were 9 Puzzle games on Merlin, and a secret 10th one if one beat all nine puzzles.

You guys have no idea how happy I am to see Magic Square in 999. It was my favourite puzzle in the original game. Now that I know the puzzle is Magic Square, it's going to be a sinch to beat.

I solved it too quickly. I lost my Merlin a long time ago and haven't been able to play Magic Square since, wow, what a touching reunion. ;_;

Junpei's "revelation", I think, is trying to trick me into thinking either he's Zero or I the player have some information from the Safe End, but it might be June's telepathy instead.

So I guess this is the Ever17-style twist, but I'm guessing I'm playing as June. As I suspected way long ago, the second screen information was seperate from the top screen info! Playing as two different characters...?

So Zero is future Junpei...I guess?

OK, looks like I messed up on that. Going back to a flashback now...maybe Junpei + nine year younger June were playing the Nonary Game together? And June disappeared because...I dunno? I thought she was a hallucination but her bracelet was real. Perhaps the time-stream shifted or something?

Just an idea, but the whole "codename" thing was probably June's idea too, wasn't it? To keep the future preserved...if everyone knew everyone's names, things would have been messy.

Hmm, it was said Akane was a "transmitter", so I guess that's what made her capable of sending stuff to Junpei. She's just a different type of transmitter, but looks to be a reciever as well. Yuuko talked about this in Muv-Luv Alternative, too - "jumping from one train to another train and moving up and down in the same train are entirely different phenomenon".

Haha, that last puzzle.

I'd heard about "upside down Sudoku" and who'd have thought it would be the last puzzle. Why's it upside down? Whatever the case, as I came close to finishing the puzzle, I thought "you know, since each puzzle is solved by logic, wouldn't it be neat if the final number turns out to be...".

Yeah.

Now, we find out, once and for all, somewhere in Nevada...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 04-15-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games