UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Aegislash VGC 2017: Changes to the very VGC structure itself!

So I planned a huge wall of text about the new changes and my thoughts but notepad crashed so uh yeah.

So instead, have a fantastic video of the subject done by proclaimed vgc veteran Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng.

Personally I'm a bit hyped for the new season and its changes, but i want to hear other opinions on it.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Nationals being axed in favor of Continentals: for North America, this makes no difference. For the rest of the world, I see this as a downgrade.
North America: we had a US Nationals, no Canadian Nationals, and no Mexican Nationals. The US Nationals was open to all Canadian players; not really sure what the deal was for Mexicans, but I have to think they were welcome to participate should they have arrived. Well anyway, all this change does for North America is to formalize that: instead of giving Canada and Mexico their own national tournaments like they've been asking for, we're politely telling them "NO! " and then extending the invite to play in ours. I can't imagine that the North American tournament will ever be held very far away from where most Americans can fly/drive. I'm sure Mexico will beg for it to be held in Mexico, but at the soonest I see this happening in 2019. Canada and the US are definitely going to take first dibs at it.

Europe: This is a downgrade, no matter how you slice it. The UK, Germany, and Italy all previously had their own Nationals. Now they're being told, "Fuck you: you get a Continental train pass and you like it! ", that if they want to make Worlds then they had better get their ass out of the isles and onto the Continent (or vice versa). I dunno. I just see it as a huge inconvenience for them.

Asia: The second biggest losers in this debacle are the Koreans. Holy shit, the poor, poor Koreans. Yes, they're very good at Pokémon. No, they don't have the numbers compared with Japan. And it's Japan's game. It's Japan's baby. There is no WAY Japan is going to host their Asian tournament outside of Japan. Oh sure, it might rotate between Japanese cities. Tokyo one year, Osaka the next, Sapporo, Hiroshima, Nagoya, Niigata ... But getting it to Seoul? Don't hold your breath. It'll happen eventually. But I don't see it happening any time soon.

Australia: The biggest losers? AUSTRALIA! Going from having their own national program to being told, "Fuck you, you wanna play Pokemans, you best be gettin' on a plane to Japan, okay mate?" Maaaaaan ... If you thought American fans had it bad, what with how big our country is, now just picture the Australians and their predicament. Being told that if you want to compete in your country's version of "Nationals," you'll have to get on board a transcontinental flight and fly a quarter of the way around the world just to compete! How many thousands of dollars? Geez louise ...
So no. Sorry. I don't see this as an upgrade, no matter how Aaron tries to spin it. What we wanted were more Nationals. What we're getting now are fewer. They're not only not adding more national tournaments, they're taking some away. How is that a good thing.

Continentals being "2nd only to Worlds": I don't understand why Aaron keeps making this point. Nationals already are what we all perceive as being 2nd only to Worlds. "You win at the regional level. You win at the national level. Where next to go but the international level?" That's Worlds. We don't need Nationals to be bumped up to Continentals to achieve this. All it is is a shift. You've shifted us from "state - country - world" to "state - continent - world."

Anyone can participate in any event: Again, I'm confused by Aaron's positive spin on this. This rule change is a good thing for fans who want to see only the best of the best play. But it's a bad thing for anyone who comes from a "weak country" who wanted a shot at worlds. Why? Because: now the richest of the Japanese can fly to any regional in the world and win it! This rule change takes Play! Pokémon and changes it from being an Olympics-like event to being a competitive Go scene-like event. I'm not going to say "Americans can kiss their chances at Worlds good-bye," because we still have a lot of talent here and a huge playerbase. But I am going to say that Filipinos, Indonesians, and anyone else from a country that is within affordable flying distance of Japan can kiss their shot at Worlds good-bye. 'Cause the richest Japanese players are totally going to fly out to these events now and scoop them up. This has already been a problem with the existing Regionals. (E.g. Aaron flying out of state to win regionals in Texas and other states far away from New York.) People are already annoyed at the thought of an outsider showing up unannounced and "stealing" their prizes from them. Especially now that the prizes are cold hard cash in the hundreds to thousands of dollars. You don't think Japanese players are going to justify a vacation to Australia to scoop up some Australian Championship Points, ensuring they get to go to Worlds (score) and not their rivals in Australia (double score, for them)? You don't think Americans are going to go north to Canada for the weekend and steal some Canadian regionals? This is ... I dunno. On the one hand, it's cool because it's tearing down artificial barriers and making the tournament more about who is truly the best in the world. But on the other hand, we already know the answer to that question -- IT'S JAPAN -- and so making it easier for Japan to steal all the CP from the other players in the world just seems ... I dunno, really kinda douchey.

Maybe I'm overestimating how easy it will be, how practical it would be to pull this off. Maybe it's much too impractical, far too expensive to justify. I sure hope so. I sure hope we don't see Japanese players snagging all of the 1st place wins in Australia and other countries near the western Pacific. And I frankly hope we don't continue to see the trend of middle-class and upper-class American fans getting Mommy and Daddy to shuttle them around from New York to Texas to California to Florida just so they can snatch up a bunch of CP instead of sharing the wealth with local fans.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

You've got a very skewed perception of Nationals. Few people wanted more Nationals and to most players only the Japanese and American nationals actually mattered. Flying to Continentals might be difficult for some players but it is unrealistic for every little country to have their own Nationals. Instead hosting only four majors Continentals saves them a lot of money which then goes into the larger prize pools.

Anyone can participate anywhere is kinda bad but I don't think super skilled players of one region invading another region is going to be a huge problem
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
You've got a very skewed perception of Nationals. Few people wanted more Nationals and to most players only the Japanese and American nationals actually mattered. Flying to Continentals might be difficult for some players but it is unrealistic for every little country to have their own Nationals. Instead hosting only four majors Continentals saves them a lot of money which then goes into the larger prize pools.
It was 1am and I was very tired when I wrote my post last night. No excuses! Just giving some context.

This morning while readying for work, I realized how I had forgotten / overlooked the fact that Japan doesn't even have Nationals. No? Maybe I'm remembering wrong now , but iirc isn't the status quo that Japan has all of its contenders compete in online tournaments and gather CP thataway? Like, there isn't a physically-hosted "Nationals" event in any city in Japan. It's just all the Worlds hopefuls signing on to their Nintendo 3DSes and hoping to ladder highest of them all on the VGC ladder. So yeah, that rather deflates my argument for arguably the No.1 most important competitive scene for Pokémon on the planet.

Quote:
Anyone can participate anywhere is kinda bad but I don't think super skilled players of one region invading another region is going to be a huge problem
I agree with you that 1am Talon was being a little too paranoid about things. It's doubtful that there are that many players with both the skill and the money to make good on international flights and stealing all of the North American regional championships. But you have to admit that the possibility is still there. There's still the possibility, even if it's going to be pretty remote and pretty limited in the damage it can do, for wealthy professionals to abuse this no-borders policy. Having borders might coddle weaker players, true, but it also ensures that fans back at home have a home team to root for come Worlds. Who would you rather root for if you were British: the British Worlds team (consisting of five players ranked 25th in the world or lower) or the top five players in the world, all of whom are Japanese? Like, don't get me wrong. On the one hand I think it's super cool to tear down national borders and to make this a contest that's purely about talent ... but on the other hand I am kinda sad to see national teams go. It was neat to see the US team, the Japanese team, the British team, etc. entering the stage at Worlds each year. Remember how excited we all got for Ireland? How's that supposed to happen now that Ireland's best player (who let's just say is ranked arbitrarily low, for sake of discussion) has to vie for a tournament spot along with the world's very best? It's just going to be a field of American and Japanese players. Is that really so fun? Is that really so interesting?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #5
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
nals and to most players only the Japanese and American nationals actually mattered. Flying to Continentals might be difficult for some players but it is unrealistic for every little country to have their own Nationals.
As Talon mentioned, it would be nice if at least they had one for each populated continent. The Australasia area has a population of about 300 million, so it would be nice to not have a regional not 7,000 KM away.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
>7000 KM for a regional

Okaaaaaaay then TPCI... Sure, the prizepool looks amazing and all but if you're gonna just tell Aus/NZ/any other Australasian country to travel or get stuffed then that's just low on so many levels. Anyone who remembers me talking about VGC'17 cores in the S&M spoilers on Discord might realise just how god damn pissed off I am about this.

RIP dreams of bringing back my Crawdaunt RainRoom: 2016-2016
(Said team made Top 20 Aus BS for a while, I'mma go kick something)

EDIT:

Also, the fact that Australia itself is a continent just makes this all the more bullshit.

EDIT2:

I started a thing.

Last edited by Chiko; 08-11-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON