UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I fail to see why you think it would be easier to reduce the temperature from 600 degrees Celsius to 20 degrees Celsius than to increase the temperature from -80 degrees Celsius to 20 degrees Celsius.

Venus is not close enough to the Sun to get a drastically increased amount of solar energy. I may be closer than you to Chernobyl, but that doesn't mean that I'm being irradiated as we speak.

Venus is about .72 AU from the Sun. If you can pull a ton of solar energy out of that .28 AU distance, be my guest.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I fail to see why you think it would be easier to reduce the temperature from 600 degrees Celsius to 20 degrees Celsius than to increase the temperature from -80 degrees Celsius to 20 degrees Celsius.
The top of the troposphere of Venus, 65 km above the surface, has Earth-like temperature and air. It isn't 600 degrees C. The only interest I have in the planet surface is mining below it with remote-controlled machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Venus is not close enough to the Sun to get a drastically increased amount of solar energy. I may be closer than you to Chernobyl, but that doesn't mean that I'm being irradiated as we speak.
Versus Earth and beyond the atmosphere, yes. But the problem is you can't set up space shields around Earth without impacting the temperature on Earth: radiant energy from the sun has to reach the planet to heat the planet, and if we set up giant shields to absorb that solar energy it'll have a negative impact on Earth's ecology by depriving it of that same energy.

This is less of a problem with Venus because Venus retains heat much more strongly than Earth, and so conditions on Venus would take centuries and a LOT of solar shielding to have a noticeable change in climate. And, it would be for the positive too, since it would eventually cool the planet enough to not need the cloud cities.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:57 AM   #28
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Dopple is correct about the upper atmosphere of Venus, iirc all you'd need up there is an oxygen tank. Also that distance difference roughly doubles the amount of solar energy falling on any given surface, which is a not insignificant difference.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #29
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
But it'd be almost impossible to keep a consistent orbit in the upper atmosphere, wouldn't it? And what's the point of colonizing a planet if you don't live on the planet's surface itself?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate