UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Grimm

I'm not here to discuss this upcoming show, really. I want to pick apart its premise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Set in present-day Portland, Oregon, the series puts a new twist on the stories of the Brothers Grimm in which a homicide detective learns that he is a descendent of a group of hunters known as "Grimms", who fight to keep humanity safe from the supernatural creatures of the world. Upon learning of his destiny and that he is the last of his kind, he has to protect every living soul from the sinister storybook characters that have infiltrated the real world.
When I think of the Grimm Brothers, I think of their works and the Heath Ledger movie from a few years back. Although their stories have a lot of interesting interpretations, I'm confounded time and again that all uses of the Grimm Brothers as characters themselves seem to conform to stock scenarios - in this case, it's a secret tradition passed down from generation to generation to protect humanity from a hidden supernatural threat. Huh?

Using the Grimms themselves in a story seems like a great idea. They lived in the 19th century, the most famous transitional era (containing the Industrial Revolution) which ushered in the dominance of science and technology. They were scholars and researchers into oral tradition, where history and legend have blurred into vague recollection. This is a very bare-bones framework that could be applied to a bunch of meaningful stories - one could construct a scenario where there's no supernatural beings, but the Grimms apply primitive scientific methodologies to infer the true inspiration behind fairy tales, which could be grounded in real modern scholarly research. Or, one could construct an adventure story where the Grimms travel back in time to witness events, or even play parts in the stories they are trying to document.

Whatever. I'm trying to break back into casual TV and was torn between this and One Upon A Time, but it really feels like I'm squished between a rock and a hard place. :V
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment