UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Johto > Olivewood Ocean

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini
 
Salamencia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not here
Posts: 2,532
Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
Shane's Badly Named Adventure

A ferry docked at Olivine Port on a busy day, with people rushing to and fro around the city streets. A young lad disembarked from the vessel, seeming fit to burst with excitement. Shane couldn’t explain why, but he felt 10 years old once again. A small blue bird Pokémon followed him out into the sun. The pair exhaled loudly as they gazed out into the city.

“Well, my coming of age starts here. Just look at this place! It reminds me of home. Well, before… y’know.” Shane looked down to the earth, remembering the Disaster that had befallen Viridian City. He hadn’t been back since. Lifting his head, he smiled once more. “Well, we can’t let that hold us back! Right, erm…?” It suddenly occurred to him he hadn’t yet named his Piplup. He turned to the Water type now, as it began preening itself. Well… he had. He came up with the name on the trip, but hadn’t actually told his partner yet. “Geoffrey. That’ll be your name.” The Piplup nodded in agreement. It had been the name of his best friend in his school days, but those were long gone. The name wasn’t chosen lightly. This was to be his most trusted partner, after all. Belated naming over, Shane looked around for inspiration. Where does one go first in such a big place? The answer was obvious. The Pokémon Centre.

The iconic red-roofed building wasn’t hard to find for city-born Shane, as it turned out. As he entered, he noticed a sign mentioning some kind of promotion for new trainers. It seemed they were offering a free TM and Pokéball. He walked up to the stall just beside this sign, and spoke up to the woman manning it. “Excuse me, but I couldn’t help noticing the sign by your door. I’d like to claim my complementary TM and Ball, if that’s ok?” Without even speaking, the rather bored-looking woman turned to a machine. Prodding some buttons, she retrieved a TM Hidden Power and Net Ball from it and handed them over, sighing as she did so. Not letting this grumpy demeanour spoil his mood, Shane took these gifts gratefully. He pocketed the ball and called out Geoffrey. Loading up his TM into the TM case, he pointed it at his partner. The machine whirred as a beam of light emerged from it. The light lasted for a few seconds before fading.

Geoffrey learned Hidden Power [Grass]!

“I guess that’s that? How d’ya feel, Geoff?” he asked. The Piplup chirped contentedly. Shane checked his Pokédex as he left the Centre, discovering Geoff's Hidden Power to be Grass typed. “Could come in handy, actually. Anyway… where to go now?” He pondered for a moment, before it suddenly clicked. “Of course! Olivine Gym! It's the natural choice for trainers, right?” With that, Shane recalled Geoffrey and made a beeline for the Gym.
__________________
PASBL - Trainer Level 4 - B Grade Referee

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.

Last edited by Salamencia; 03-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast
 
DaveTheFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,258
Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Having decided on a destination, Shane heads north from the Pokémon Centre toward Olivine's Industrial District. On foot, the journey takes a fair amount of time thanks to how much the City has sprawled outward, but after a half-hour wonder through the City the regular buildings give way to factories and warehouses. However, it's here that he stops, looking around at the various industrial structures. The Gym is known to be here... but where?

After several more minutes of fruitless searching, Shane appears to to be on the verge of giving up. However, it seems that some other people have noticed his plight, a young man stepping toward him, looking only a few years younger than Shane himself. "Hey man, you lost or something?" he asks, seeming concerned, though a smile plays at the corner of his mouth. "I'll bet anything you're looking for the Gym, huh? Don't ask how I know, we get a lot of confused-looking trainers from out of town around here and almost all of them are searching for it." he elaborates, smiling a bit more earnestly as he scratches his short, brown hair. "Need a hand? I can show you the way, if you'd like."

Will Shane accept the offer of a guide? Or continue to stumble around the Industrial Centre until he trips over the Gym himself?
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini
 
Salamencia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not here
Posts: 2,532
Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
Brimming with confidence and excitement, Shane ploughed on into the Industrial District. After a while of searching, however, he came to the conclusion he was hopelessly lost. Olivine was proving to be a lot bigger than he’d expected, and all the factories looked the same to him. Just as he had decided to retrace his steps to the Centre, a voice spoke up.

“Hey man, you lost or something?” Shane turned his head to see a young man approaching him. Taking a moment to look to the skies, Shane uttered a few words of gratitude. He hadn’t even considered religion before but clearly someone, or something, was watching over him. Well, that was how he saw it anyway.

“Yeah, just a little,” the new trainer finally answered.

“I'll bet anything you're looking for the Gym, huh?” the lad responded, the beginnings of a smile forming on his face. It transpired that Shane was not the first traveller to find himself rather perplexed by the expansive industrial areas, which helped ease his mind a little. At least he didn’t look a complete fool. Not yet, anyway. As he heard his new acquaintance offer help to find the Gym, Shane didn’t even need to think any further. Someone was offering him company and, more importantly, a chance to actually find the Pokémon Gym. Well, he could go it alone and try to improve his own sense of direction… but it was a risk. Taking up this offer was a win/win situation. Right?

“I’d appreciate that, thanks,” Shane said, just pleased to have some intelligent conversation so soon after arriving, “Hate to admit it, but I can’t tell one side of this district from the other.” He almost bombarded his unknown rescuer with questions about the region, before reigning himself in. Offering a handshake, he introduced himself. “Name’s Shane, by the way. Yours?”
__________________
PASBL - Trainer Level 4 - B Grade Referee

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast
 
DaveTheFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,258
Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
{Yeah I really can't hack updating in third person ;;}

The stranger returns your handshake, smiling warmly. "Ryan. Nice to meet you Shane." he replies. "Don't sweat it, a lot of newcomers find the buildings blend into each other at first. Hell, I thought the same thing when I arrived." He chuckles slightly. "Good thing I saw you actually, the Gym's on the other side of the District, would've taken you hours to find it at that rate. Come on, this way."

You follow your new guide, heading down the maze of sidestreets between the huge factories and other buildings. The paths are long and winding, and while the distance to the Gym may not be great as the Murkrow flies, it takes a while on foot. Before you can make it all the way, however, you find yourselves interrupted. A small boy runs out of a nearby alleyway, heading for the both of you before stopping in front of Ryan.

"Mister, mister! My friend and I were playing between the buildings, when some wild Pokémon appeared and started fighting!" he pants, obviously having run some distance for his small body. "Derek got cut off so I left to get help. Can you help me, please?" he asks, desperately. Ryan turns to you to confer.

"I don't mind making a slight detour if you don't." he says, clearly anxious to help the child. What will you decide to do?
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini
 
Salamencia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not here
Posts: 2,532
Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
[OOC: No worries here; it’s not like you’re the only updater using the second person.]

The younger man introduced himself as Ryan, explaining to Shane that everyone new finds it hard to tell one building from another here. He also revealed that the Gym was on the other side of the district. The colour shortly flushed from Shane’s face as he looked around, imagining trying to find it alone. While he very much relished challenges, this was a few steps too far. Jolting back to his senses, he realised he’d said all of this in his head. “Oh… er, pleasure to meet you, Ryan,” he said hurriedly before following his guide’s lead.

As he continued through the surprisingly expansive Industrial District, Shane admired the building work. Though not exactly easy on the eye, the factories had their own urban charm. Noticing this was proving a welcome distraction from the time passing, which would otherwise have rather irritated Shane.

After quite some time of Gym searching, a boy suddenly emerged from an alley nearby, looking quite concerned and panting heavily. He explained that he and his friend had been separated by a fight between some wild Pokémon, asking Shane and Ryan for help. Ryan turned to Shane, who quickly made up his mind.

“Of course we’ll help! Lead the way… erm…?” Shane stopped, not knowing the kid’s name. “What am I doing? We’ve no time to waste on introductions. Lead the way!” he said, one hand on the single Pokéball sitting in his belt. His heart pounded as he considered the quest ahead.
__________________
PASBL - Trainer Level 4 - B Grade Referee

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast
 
DaveTheFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,258
Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
"Thank so much! Follow me!" the boy replies, turning on the spot before dashing back into the alleyway. Ryan glances at you before taking off after him, with you running not far behind. The two of you just about manage to keep your eyes on the child as he darts along the twisting backstreets, which slowly become more and more labyrinthine in nature.

After a few minutes of this, you turn one last corner and almost run straight into the boy's back. "Look, there they are! Derek, I got help!" he calls. Beyond the three of you, the alley opens up into an urban clearing, a crossroads of sorts. Debris and trash cans are scattered around the perimeter, but what instantly draws your eye is the scene at the centre. Five small humanoids advance on one of the corners, their pale blue skin covering rippling muscles, depicting that they pack a punch despite their size.

Beyond, you see that the Machop have fixed their sights on a larger Pokémon, also humanoid. Baggy skin around its legs and neck give the appearance of clothes, while a bright red crest atop its head gives it a very punk feel. The Scrafty stands firm before the other Fighting-types, despite the type disadvantage. Behind it, you can see why. A trio of smaller versions of itself cower behind the adult's baggy trousers, along with another form... a small child, curled up in a ball, obviously frightened.

At his friend's call, Derek uncurls, looking beyond the battleground. "Kyle! I'm not sure how much longer this Scrafty can hold out! Please help!" he responds. Next to you, Ryan subconsciously clicks his tongue, taking stock of the situation.

"This happens a lot. Turf wars between the different Fighting-types. I'll bet that the Scrafty's family was just wandering past when the Machop showed up, and now it won't run in case they attack the boy." the other trainer comments. As if to emphasise his point, one of the Machop drops to the floor into a forward roll, heading for the Scrafty. As it approaches, the Superpower Pokémon springs off its hands into the air, one foot extended. The Dark-type, unwilling to move and expose its charges, blocks the incoming strike as best it can, but the Rolling Kick must still deal a hurtful blow. The large Fighter forces its quarry away, but winces obviously.

"Scrafty can't take much more punishment. I'm loathe to interfere with Fighting-types, but unless we do something, that kid's in trouble." he mutters. "There's five Machop, I've got two Pokémon on me, and I'm guessing you've got one. If we can do enough damage we can force them to retreat." At this, two PokéBalls appear in his hands. "Up for some pest control?"

What will you do?
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini
 
Salamencia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not here
Posts: 2,532
Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
Following this boy through the twists and turns of the Olivinian alleys, Shane could only wonder who on earth designed this district. He forgot exactly what his contractor wanted until he and his two companions reached the clearing.

Upon seeing the Machop, Shane’s muscles tensed. He wasn’t the most knowledgeable trainer, but he recognised the anthropomorphic fighters easily and he knew their innate muscle power. His hand hovered over Geoffrey’s Pokéball as he prepared for the inevitable battle. He whipped out his Pokédex, eager to gain any advantage he could over the Fighting types. “Oh, charming… it lifts Graveler for training,” he remarked.

His attention turned to the targeted Scrafty. This was a Pokémon he was much less familiar with. He scanned this creature also. ‘Well, evolved is it? I guess that explains how it held out… Even so, five on one is hardly going to go its way… We have to help!’ His mind made up on that very thought, Shane simply waited for Ryan’s go. It’d be foolish not to team up, after all.

As Ryan explained the situation, Shane stood there worrying over the battle that was unfolding. He took in the information but it took several attempts to properly digest. Watching Scrafty take another hit for its family, Shane almost cried out in pain himself. It was difficult to watch. He whipped out Geoff’s Pokéball now, ready to take action. As he turned to Ryan, he was relatively pleased to see the trainer carrying multiple balls himself. “Come on, it’s not like there’s any choice here, is there? The only right thing to do is help out!” He threw out his own Pokéball, ready for action. The blue penguin Pokémon flew out in a flash of light and turned to its new trainer, chirping in anticipation.

“Well, Geoffrey, I guess we’re starting with a bang! Warn them off with a Hidden Power, then blast the nearest with your strongest Hydro Pump!” Shane’s expression had subconsciously changed to one of excitement. As per usual, the promise of an interesting challenge was overriding his fear for the young Pokémon and their lives. That fear could wait; right now he had a battle to fight.
__________________
PASBL - Trainer Level 4 - B Grade Referee

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Wild Future > Johto > Olivewood Ocean


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.