UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #1

Gimme something to watch!

Ok, this summer I wanna watch something. plain and simple. I'll list a couple of anime i liked and hopefully that is enough for you guys to be able to recommend me a good show.

I liked: Haruhi, Code Geass, Naruto w/o fillers, Death Note, Shaman King, Hajime No Ippo, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Azumanga Daioh.

I'm into more shounen/mystery stuff than the romantic stuff. I thoroughly enjoy comedy too.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Re: Gimme something to watch!

Sounds like you're a "shounen fanservice" fellow. Try Fate/stay night, followed by Shakugan no Shana and then Zero no Tsukaima.

Or One Piece if you've got the fortitude for a marathon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #3

I tried fat/stay night and it didn't really appeal to me that much before. one piece anime is sorta boring. dunno bout the other two.

You think you could give me a slight preview of what the titles are about? I sorta want to know what im diving into. Hope this isn't too much to ask.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wow, you're tastes are like textbook for the "standard American male anime fan" archetype. This should be easy!

For a classic you're sure to love, try Great Teacher Onizuka (a.k.a. GTO). This is the definitive "must-see shounen anime" in my book.
For another classic that seems to be avoiding your list, I'll throw down Cowboy Bebop. I'm guessing you've seen this, though, and felt the same way about it I did. (Very good, but not good enough.) Still, you could also not be like me and be like most people in your archetype and think this is the best thing since sliced bread.
For my personal vote on "epic Shonen Jump story you haven't seen," it'll be Hikaru no Go. It's a dark horse that not many people with your tastes get around to watching, but those who do end up being very satisfied.

Disclaimer: see the first two episodes of Hikaru no Go before you drop it, but do yourself a favor and do drop it if you're bored with the show by the time you're ready to start Episode 8. HnG is a "love it or hate it" series that doesn't change in the way Haters want it to change.

I'm putting down fifty eBucks that you'll love GTO.

Highlight the following text for summaries of each show; put it into the text editor of your choice:
GTO: "Onizuka Eikichi, Nijyuunisai, yoroshiku!" This is how the 22-year old Onizuka introduces himself to friends, students, and prospective employers as he graduates from college and begins his search for a job in Japanese education. His dream? To teach at a high school with a bunch of hot high school girls who will wear high-rise socks, low-cut skirts, and constantly flirt with him, strutting their stuff and shaking their moneymakers, as it were. But this perv is totally harmless -- in fact, Onizuka-sensei is the most honorable teacher you've ever or will ever meet! Join Onizuka-sensei on his crazy adventures as he tries to get the ruffians of Class 4-C under his thumb -- and tries to retain his sanity as they fight back! GTO is a classic anime of the "school days" genre which also deserves its spot, along with such greats as Naruto or Cowboy Bebop, in the hallowed halls of shounen anime.
Cowboy Bebop: Spike Spiegel, ex-mafia man turned bounty hunter. Jet Black, ex-police cop turned bounty hunter. Faye Valentine, ex-she doesn't remember turned bounty hunter. Edward, ex-we don't quite know what Edward is turned bounty hunter. Ein, ex-Welsh Corgi turned Welsh Corgi aboard the bounty hunting ship Bebop. Join this motley crew as they explore the solar system in search of adventure, riches, and possible leads about the criminal syndicate Red Dragons and Spike's former partner-in-crime, Vicious. A show rife with comedy and serious drama side-by-side in the same episode every episode, Cowboy Bebop will make you laugh and will also make you sigh a big emo sigh a good number of times. If not out loud, then in your head, at least. :P
Hikaru no Go: Hikaru is a delinquent teenager who finds a blood-stained Go board in his grandfather's attic. He's contemplating stealing it to sell to a pawn shop for some extra cash when, out of nowhere, a voice talks to Hikaru telepathically, asking him, "Can you see me? Can you hear me? " Hikaru freaks out, and matters are complicated by his best friend Hikari, who swears she can't hear or see the ghost or the blood-stains on the Go board. The ghost explains, "My name is Fujiwara no Sai. I am 1000 years old, from Heian-kyo. I was the Imperial Go instructor. The blood-stain you see here is from my former host and pupil, the Honinbou called Shuusaku. The greatest Go player who ever lived. Now, if you please ... lend me your body, so that I may play Go once again, and try to master the Hand of God." Hikaru denies the ghost at first, but is overpowered by the ghost's strong desire to play Go. He gives in to the ghost's desperate pleas, but what Hikaru's distaste for his new companion soon evolves into a deep relationship of master and disciple as Hikaru begins to fall in love with the game of Go and to turn to Sai for instruction. Sai soon realizes that, through Hikaru, he just might reach the Hand of God before his time on Earth is over ...

I enjoyed Hikaru no Go the most (masterpiece, as BBB would say), but I think you will enjoy GTO the most.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

dami needs to fix this "new post" issue since I lost my cached data when Talon posted. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichimaru
one piece anime is sorta boring.
I smiled.

Quote:
You think you could give me a slight preview of what the titles are about? I sorta want to know what im diving into. Hope this isn't too much to ask.
I'll reserve the Shana summary for Talon.

Zero is about this normal Japanese kid, Hiraga Saito, who gets sucked into a dimensional portal while he's walking down a street and ends up in a fantasy, Harry Potter inspired alternate universe. He was actually "summoned" by a bumbling, incompetent female magus (Louise) and now he's her familiar. Hillarity and awesome ensue.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Umm, why do you think my thread is called "big bad birtha's suggestion box"? There's recommendations and title ideas everywhere (even though most of them are for me).

Anyway, off for recommendations for you. Finding titles that you like will be kinda difficult because I am on the romance/comedy direction, but here goes.

YuYu Hakusho- I have honestly never seen this, but I have read some of the manga. I think you will like it. I'm not sure what it is about, but it has plenty of violence.....

Rurouni Kenshin- Well, I have never watched this as well, but I have read all of the manga and I can honestly tell you that this is a great title. This is definitely the best SJ title I have read.

Utawarerumono- This is more like a action anime with a love story behind it. This is like Inuyasha with less repetition and more violence.

Gintama- This is extremely funny. It's a SJ title without much fighting, but is still hilarious.

There's some for you to dive into. I will give you some more titles later, but they will be different because I believe that you should open yourself to something new.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Birtha makes a FANTASTIC point.

*moving this thread into Birtha's thread tomorrow; holding off until tomorrow so you don't freak out when you see your thread has gone missing ^_^;*
Old 06-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #8

I read through about 5 pages of bbb's thread and found it rather difficult to match my tastes. I woulda posted in his/her/its thread but i didn'twant to intrude.

Zero sounds very interesting. I might try it otu.

Talon, i've actually read the manga of GTO and Hikaru No Go and found them excellent. Cowboy Bebop is already seen too. xd

Not very fond of Yu Yu Hakusho and read the Rouroni kenshin manga. I can pretty much say that most of the semi to majorly popular anime/mangas I have attempted at or saw through.

the other two that bbb said sound okish. I'll check them out too.

gratzi everyone.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Zero sounds very interesting. I might try it otu.
You MUST watch Shana before ZnT; it's almost a pre-requisite. I shall not say why exactly but it should be obvious almost immediately. Ouran Host Club and Fate/stay night are recommended too, but Shana is the only mandatory title to watch before ZnT.

That said, if Talon hasn't given a Shana summary, here's my short edition:

Shakugan no Shana is the story of a boy named Sakai Yuuji who discovers one day that he's dead, and has been dead for a long time. If that wasn't enough, he doesn't have much time left before he "disappears" from the real world entirely. He learns of a secret underground battle for humanity going on "in between worlds" between beings from another realm, called the Crimson Lords, and their mediums the Flame Haze, and Crimson Denizens who stalk the mortal realm in search of "powers of existence", which is really what people have instead of spirits/souls. The story revolves around Yuuji and his relationship with the Flame Haze of the most powerful Lord Alastor, named Shana.

That's a quite bad summary actually. Just watch the show. ^_^;
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I read through about 5 pages of bbb's thread and found it rather difficult to match my tastes. I woulda posted in his/her/its thread but i didn'twant to intrude.
I made the same mistake; if you were [strike:13c88]like me[/strike:13c88] insane, you might have bothered yourself to read EVERY WORD in the entire thread. Doing so, you'd have seen that I made the exact same assumption as you, and BBB said, "No! By all means! Post here! " There's not many ways you can intrude in that thread, so long as you're providing reviews of anime.

That stated, feel free to make anime threads (including anime reviews, criticisms, commentaries, etc.) outside of his thread if you wish. He (nor I, nor Doppel, nor Mcsweeney) isn't holding you at gunpoint. We just sort of have come to congregate in that thread when it comes to discussing/review animes we're watching in real time.

If you've already seen/read everything I recommended, well shoot, son, put those in your list next time too. XP I spent a while writing those summaries and racking my brain for recommendations for you. ;) ^_^; Nah, 'twasn't a big problem. Just ... ^_^;
Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #11
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
It's just good to skim and read over titles that sound interesting to you. Like if you go and read my ungodly long Kanon speeches, you WILL get tired unless you really like Kanon. Also, it is not intruding by just asking for something that the thread was made for. Hell, the anime thread was always just Suigin, Doppleganger, and McSweeny, but I decided to go ahead and "intrude" by making the suggestion box, and I am now a regular.

Oh, and you seem to have a common case of "I don't know big bad birtha's gender" syndrome. Don't worry, it's common. I'm a girl XD.

Now for more recommendations for you. All of these are different from the things that you put up, but I believe that you really need to open up to different titles. I mean, I don't expect you to be like me and blindly watch anything that any person will tell you. Hell, I was searching like crazy for something called "Turkeyhandle" just because someone told me to watch it. Anyway, I will start off with my masterpieces. You already have Haruhi on there, so there's the first, and then you said that you have watched most of the super popular titles, so that drains away Chobits (my fourth).

Kanon 2006- This is beyond wonderful. It's funny, cute, heartwarming, sad, and awesome all in one package. This title will **** with your emotions by making the first seven episodes really funny, but then kicking you in the throat by suddenly becoming super sad. I don't think you (or anyone else for that matter) will find the joy from it that I did, but go ahead and take it for a spin.

School Rumble- This is extremely funny. It has like an insane love tree thing going on, and that is also part of the fun. I looked at this title for the humor more than the romance though. Oh, and one more thing. Go Yakumo!!!

Midori no Hibi (Midori Days)- I am currently reading the manga, but I have already watched the anime, and since it is on my masterpiece list, this definitely satisfied me. This is one of the more heartwarming and sweet titles that you will find. I absolutely love Midori!! I will put reasons when I am through the manga (mostly to answer one of Suigin's questions). This is also pretty different. I mean, how many anime have you seen is about some girl becoming a dude's right hand? None, that's how many.

Well, those three titles are ones that emitted pure joy out just by watching them. Here are some other great titles though.

Hayate no Gotoku- This is hilarious. Every title is a onslaught of anime references and really well done humor. Honestly, if this keeps up and doesn't get stale, I see another masterpiece coming from this.

Air- If you look at how this is set up, you will see that the outline of this is like Kanon's. You know, the first few episodes are very funny and light-hearted, and then you will be crying like a little bitch in no time. After watching this again, I have no idea why I disrespected this title by giving this only an excellent, but it is too late to change my decision ><.

Well, I can't really think of any more titles at the moment, but these should satisfy something in you. They should at least relieve you of the title of "Typical American male anime fan". I wonder what I would be qualified as......

Oh, and one more thing. I am really a guy. I wonder who actually believed I was a girl after some of the things that I have talked about in the past XD.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
McSweeney
Soul Badge

GOLDEN BOY. It's one of my "four masterpieces".

Only six episodes, and every single one is outstanding in the fields of awesomeness and hilarity. Make sure you watch the dub for maximum funny.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I liked Hajime No Ippo, but none of my friends ever watched it. And when I tell them it's about boxing, they automatically put it off. >>

Anyway, Excel Saga is probably the funniest series ever. There isn't a single episode that isn't a parody of something, even the episode that had 'no jokes', which was a parody of J-Dramas. It's comparable to classic comedies like Airplane! or National Lampoon series or even the Monty Python series.

Slayers! is a classic that should be seen by anyone who watched anime. The Slayers movies aren't so great, but the original first season was amazing! It's kind of an oldie, but it's still great!

Yakitate!! Japan is great for comedy. A show about baking bread doesn't sound that amazing, but it surprisingly is hilarious! It's like watching Iron Chef with absurdly exaggerated reactions from judges! Oh yeah, all the bread in the story is apparently real or based off something real. i.e. 324 layer croissants are possible as there was someone who made a 900 layer croissant.

I liked My-HiME as it combined comedy in the early episodes, then got serious with action and drama around 8 to the end. The only thing that was horrible was the ending, which was a really awful ending. But everything else was pretty cool. It was also made by Sunrise as was the various Gundam series, Cowboy Bebop, and Code Geass if that helps.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime