UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Claymore

Since a few of us are watching it and I've now seen three episodes, I'll pull this series out of the BBB Suggestion Thread and give it its own breathing space.

Having seen three episodes of Claymore, I'd say that the series is not for those who dislike predictable, one-minded plots. Claymore appears to be just such a series: "Clare is battling against Yoma while at the same time battling her inner Yoma; and eventually, she is going to succumb to it. From there, one of two predictable endings: she'll either overcome it and become Super Claymore or she will kill herself in the tiny window where she temporarily regains her human consciousness."

But even if that proves to be the case, the show is still entertaining enough to warrant a few more episodes. Very interesting artwork.

And if Episode 4 does what I think it might (the whole predictable plot outcome I mentioned above), then things could get very interesting. An entire series of Clare struggling with her already-apparent downfall into being a purely lustful + gluttonous + wrathful being, OR she might defeat that inner demon in Episode 4 which would open the series up to some more interesting concepts for our "Super Claymore" to face. Either way, I'm looking forward to Episode 4.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Re: Claymore

Talon nailed the flaws of Claymore like Luther did his theses to Castle Church - Claymore doesn't offer anything new, innovative, or all that interesting really. It's got great production values, decent music and good acting, but nothing worthy of a "wow".

Frankly, I'm bored with it...but there's always the hope that something awesome will appear out of nowhere.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

You insult the suggestion box by calling it a thread. A box can kick a thread's ass anytime.

When I read the first first chapter of this, I thought it has ****ing hardcore, but I was fairly new with anime and this was pretty much my first slaughterfest manga. Looking back at it, it's entertaining, but not the shiznit. However, I am referring to the manga, and I have yet to actually watch the anime. As mentioned though, I am sure it is increadibly predictable. I have only read the first chapter and I was like "I bet she is going to lose control and soon gain more power, but soon learn to control them." When I get the initiative to watch this, I might decide to join the "Super Awesome Claymore Klub"(I meant to misspell club) if it really butters my cornbread.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've still only seen through Episode 3, but that has more to do with not using BitTorrent since I came home for the summer than anything else. So, quick question: is anybody who is still following Claymore satisfied (or even thrilled) with it? I'm just curious, since there was so much "ugh, this show is so boring -.-" talk very early on, and I'm wondering if the critics have been silenced by some seriously cool episodes or if the critics proved to be correct in the end and it was just a hack-n-slash anime with not much of an interesting main character.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

It's gotten a LOT better, but this brief light of awesome will be extinguished in the future by a turn toward being another lame cliche shounen power-up manga.

Talon will easily like the next arc of Claymore, which is great but short lived. Sadly, I've only see a part of it...mostly because FourZeroFour died.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

There's a past arc coming up for you from like 6-8 where you see the origins of Clare. It was okay, but the show is lacking in flare. Everyone who loves it thus far are the people who obsess over the manga as the next great thing. It's okay and worth reading, but the anime isn't anything amazing IMO.

And yes, it does turn very SJ soon with a 'train for a week and become all powerful' story coming up in the arc after the current.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime