UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #51
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Caught up on Season 19, as well as on all that's aired of Season 20.

Season 19 ended up being one of my favorite seasons of all time. Few of the individual episodes rank up there as Top 20 contenders, but as an overall season it's probably the strongest package to date. Possibly the only one which beats it is the one that came out around the same time that the video game, The Stick of Truth, came out. Season 17, was it? That one was pretty fucking solid too. But Season 19, man ... what a story! :') Hitting on so many social issues with so much ripe satire, but at the same time engrossing me in a really exciting, really dramatic plot! Very good.

Spoiler: show
My only complaint would be that the ending came much too soon, it felt like. I have myself to blame for that one, I guess. I mistakenly thought that the seasons were typically 20 episodes apiece, with 10 episodes airing in the fall and 10 episodes airing in the winter/spring. So when I had finished Episode 08 of Season 19, I was super stoked that we were only just reaching the halfway point and already things were so flipping good! Well, they're still good ... only they happen to coincide with the season's end rather than its halfway point. :\ ^^; The final episode of the season felt a little rushed in its second half. And I'm still questioning the decision to have PC Principal be a part of Team Good Guys and to keep him around. I think it's a smart move as far as, "Hey! Now we have this guy on hand at all times so if social justice crap is ever in the news we can easily bring him in to disperse it into the plot." But on the other hand, I can't reconcile him as an ally of either South Park's (the town) or ours (the audience at home, watching Matt and Trey take the piss out of SJWs and their like). It's weird. We'll see what happens.

Season 20 so far has been good. I've enjoyed all three episodes. It hasn't felt as good as Season 19 did, but that may just be because I've been on a South Park binge this past week and where 19 got to feel fresh and exciting 20 has to work twice as hard to do so because of all the recent exposure I've had. I've been enjoying it though. And there's much to be enjoyed.

The subplot with Gerald as an Internet troll ...

Mr. Garrison doing everything he can to sabotage his own election ...

Cartman x Heidi ...

A lot of people are speculating tie-ins with the second South Park video game, Fractured But Whole. We'll have to see. I don't know the tone for that game but if it's anything like Stick of Destiny then I sure as hell am not seeing it here in S20.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #52
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Things that have consistently made me laugh this season: Token's Life Matters, Turd Sandwich vs Giant Douche, Gerald Broflovski.

Was also impressed with the turnaround on the Colin Kaepernick drama. And looking forward to see where the memberberries go even though it's not exactly hard to guess.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:30 AM   #53
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

They did the Kaepernick thing so well. Cartman and Heidi is absolutely hilarious, I cant wait to see how that pans out. Cartman has been different the last two seasons, which is refreshing. The lack of Kenny is suspicious, I'm thinking he might play a role at some point during the season.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #54
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Maybe he's actually dead for realsies this time.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #55
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

This most recent episode was absolute gold all the way through.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #56
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

It just keeps on getting better, it's a great season.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The two-week wait had the unintended effect: I got too excited for the episode and was pretty let down by what I received. :\ It was an okay episode, but for me it was a) easily the weakest episode of everything I've seen in S19 and S20 these past few weeks and b) an episode that went in disappointing directions.

Season 20 Episode 04 spoilers:

I wasn't a big fan of the troll under the bridge being a fellow Internet troll. While there's something to be said for Matt and Trey's unpredictability and thus "If a fan can think of it, it's not going to happen," I dunno ... I really liked most of the fan theories much, much more than what we got. The person under the bridge being Kenny's superhero alter ego ... it being an actual bridge troll (like, not a human being) ... it being Cartman (I don't want to see his relationship with Heidi go up in flames, but if it has to, then I guess this would be one of the best ways to use Cartman this season) ...

The return appearance of everyone's favorite World of Warcraft fatass was cute ..................... but unwelcome. :') I know, I know: I sound ungrateful saying this. But seriously, guys: as much as he might be an amusing character, his place and time was that one WoW episode. He was never really established to be a troll per se, just an overly zealous WoW player with a bit of a dickish side. Even were he a full-blown troll in the Wow episode, I still feel like bringing him back now kinda cheapens him a little. (Barely, thankfully. But still.)

Really not a fan of where the children's subplot is going. The whole Butters-"dicks out for Harambe r/TheRedPill" angle is .......... eh? ^^; :\ I think the only thing saving it is the "dicks out for Harambe" connection, but it's so indirect and vague in this episode, with nary a mention of a gorilla, as to be completely lost on future generations viewing this episode. As it stands, it's just ... Butters trying to say that women are going too far with their man-shaming. I dunno. I just ... thought this was a mishmash of boring, bizarre, and ineffectual.

Short lived though it was, the highlight for me was probably the part where Gerald tries to lie his way out of his wife catching him trolling and ends up with a bucket full of piss in his mouth. ^^; That was awful, though in the best / the most hilarious of ways. Poor, poor Gerald. ^^;

Really upset to see Butters' Canadian girlfriend break up with him. They had better get back together!

Disappointed that Kyle couldn't place Good Cartman's happiness before a quick 'n' dirty solution to the Butters problem. Like ... he saw that Cartman had truly reformed (maybe), he saw that Cartman had a girlfriend and was polite and peaceful and Zen ... and he still tried to tempt Cartman back to the dark side. It's like, why? Why would you do this? You're always complaining about how evil Cartman is. Why would you corrupt him back to the way he once was now that he's finally found the light? I just don't get it. I understand that Kyle isn't always exactly a cherub -- why, just the other day I was re-watching the Somalian pirates episode, in which Kyle actively prays for and celebrates Cartman's imminent demise -- but I just don't see it being in his character to want to make Cartman go back to being evil.

I had much, much higher hopes for the memberberry subplot. I still do, in fact. But this episode definitely didn't do much for me with the whole, "Hey guys -- you waited two weeks to see what Randy would do, and the answer is he starts up an Alcoholics Anonymous-styled recovery group for memberberry addicts." The scene itself isn't even all that well written. :\ Again, I think a lot of this is just me having really high hopes for the episode that the last two weeks cultivated to impossible heights for Matt and Trey to deliver on. Or something.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #58
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

If last season was skewering the more "liberal" side of millennial culture (social justice activism, political correctness, and pretentiousness), then this season seems to be coming at it from the other end. Trolling, that sexist corner of the internet where the source of the Butters Gender War bullshit lies, and we're probably building up to social media toxicity as well. Plus Memberberries, which is prolly gonna tie into the election subplot.

Points off for no Harambe jokes (yet, at least), but I'm enjoying this.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:02 AM   #59
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

The weiners out was a nod to Harambe, what I am waiting for is Chinpokomon GO! Surely with the popularity the Pokemon GO got they will bring it back. They have been hinting back to old episodes throughout the season so far (Warcraft Guy last ep) so I would love to see it get some time lol.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #60
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
Chinpokomon GO!
Not gonna lie I would actually buy that if that was turned into a real app. The concept alone would be way more entertaining than Pokemon Go turned out to be.

I'd pick Shoe. Shoe is best Chinpokomon.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The last two episodes have been so good. Didn't post last week but I loved 05 and ended up watching it a second time later. Just finished 06 right now. Very good. One thing both episodes had in common is, they both felt chock full of content. Why, this week's episode, I felt like it was not just 45 minutes long but 45 densely-packed minutes. Which of course is crazy good considering the episode's only half an hour with commercials.

Loving everything Cartman & Heidi, but saddened by Episode 06's soft confirmation that Matt and Trey plan to destroy the relationship by season's end. Cartman only had to tell Heidi he was ignorant and wrong in the past but has since changed. "I used to think women weren't funny. I was wrong." That's all it'd have taken.

Loving where Gerald's arc has taken us and him these past two episodes.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:14 AM   #62
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

I tend to watch every episode twice haha

Agreed sentiment for Heidi+Cartman relationship doom, although who knows, they could completely backflip on us. Gerald is about to absolutely cop it haha.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #63
RichardS
Pokemon Trainer

I'm fan of it!
RichardS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment