Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #5276
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>tfw you want to do a tourney
>tfw the only people you can see participating is you, Dopple, and Sneeze

I wish we had a larger community for this.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #5277
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The game has changed immensely since 2012 when this topic started. Back then, decks from 2004 - the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime - could at least be run in casual play. Now, you pretty much need a Link deck to compete with Links, and the new rules are vastly different from the game that's otherwise been close to the same since its creation.

At that, I don't find the loop-or-die setup that fun myself. My last Synchro deck prior to Links was ridiculous in that respect.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #5278
Emi

I mean, I disagree with that but in general I think the actual TCG meta differs from the meta of places like Duelingbook or YGOPro, especially since most people play in the TCG/OCG format on simulators. But the only real "Link" deck that's good in Yugioh right now is World Chalice. Other decks just use Links but it is not their main win con. Pend Mags are on the fence though because of Electrumite but Astrograph, in my opinion, is the real win condition of the deck. But you look at a deck like ABC, 60 card Zombie/Monstermash decks, True Draco, Trickstar, or even something like Paleos, they aren't really Link decks. Just decks that use Links (or not, in the case of True Draco).
Old 04-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #5279
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Even if what I say isn't representative because of TCG/OCG, TCG/OCG has often been a preview of what is to come, and it's inevitable Konami will break Links in both formats. Consider Pendulums: one of the very first Pendulum decks, Qliphorts, was low energy compared to later archetypes like Igknights, Magician, D/D/D and Majespectres. The hallmarks of broken - torrential spam, oppressive negation, and restrictive floodgates - were not Qli's to use, but inherited the earth sown by them.

Until Cystron is TCG legal, I won't be able to use him in a TCG-only format. But, for the time being it's my only OCG card, and the online format is quite gross.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #5280
Emi

I'm honestly lowkey hoping that Needlefiber isn't going to be in Flames of Destruction, but its probably going to be in there. Which is going to be simultaneously great because its a cool card for a lot of decks but also awful because it really is a degenerate card in general.

I'd argue on a couple of those decks actually being "good" (I.e. Igknights), but I do understand what you mean. PePe as a deck was ridiculous, and its almost a certainty that a Link version will rise (Troymares were the best attempt at this but they don't really work that well as a general theme). Sky Striker is the closest we have, but again, that kind of feels like Prophecy 2.0 who happens to use Links.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #5281
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I actually have a fondness for Qli because, while I never played the deck, that was during the premier format where I had x3 ROTA and had a great matchup against them with Dark Law and (iirc?) Twin Twisters. Truth be told, I should have had a good matchup against Shaddolls too, but they actually were tough because of Winda and I had not yet realized I could integrate a mini Shaddoll engine in my deck, alongside things like Super Poly to terminate enemy offense.

Needlefiber is like Librarian to me. With my usage, it's not broken at all, in fact it's much weaker than what I used to do:

-Summon Junk, Doppel, Level 1 Tuner
-Link Summon Cystron with Junk + Tuner
-Summon Junk from deck
-Go into Accel Synchron, send Jet Synchron
-Synchro Librarian, summon Jet etc. etc.

This used to be my backup play, if I couldn't summon Junk/Doppel/Level 1, I would go through Accel first. Now, it's the only way to actually gain any board presence at all, but the caveat is I still draw a lot of cards and start the opponent's turn with Cosmic Blazar Dragon at a +2. But, that's still NOT NEARLY as good as I had it before.

If there's a broke ability to it it's that last one, though. But a clever opponent can work around it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #5282
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'd join a tournament! At this point I don't know what is meta and what is not but I've sort of kept up with the new rules with Link monsters and whatnot so I wouldn't be too lost I don't think. I'd be down for one in May since that's after my finals end. Also it would give me a little time to research/practice.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #5283
phoopes
Double Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBWDf5R5Kvw

Serious question, is there a any way to break this board besides drawing Exodia pieces? I don't know the ruling on whether you can use Lava Golem or something like that to tribute Last Warrior and something else.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #5284
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ironically, the answer was in that very duel: Evenly Matched would break the entire board had the defender survived because, since it is activates from the hand, Jinzo cannot negate it. Or at least, I don't think Jinzo can negate it...there needs to be a new PSCT for that.

Additionally, if you break down the block:

-Dark Simorgh blocks sets
-Last Warrior blocks Normal, Special, Flip Summons
-Spell Canceller blocks the activation and effects of spells
-Majesty's Fiend blocks Monster Effects
-Jinzo blocks trap cards and effects on the field

The hole is that continuous effects, and grave/hand effects that aren't monster in nature are still open. So, if you had Breakthrough Skill ready for use in the grave after the Hand Destruction, it would be able to hit Spell Canceller, which would allow Interrupted Kaiju Slumber to blow up the field. Or, you could hit Last Warrior, then use Kaiju to vacuum up Fiend, who is the second-most (or perhaps most) threatening option on that set.

If Jinzo cannot block traps activated from the hand, something like Makyura which has a ridiculous continuous effect qualification, would allow unrestricted trap mayhem to search for an answer.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #5285
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBWDf5R5Kvw

Serious question, is there any way to break this board besides drawing Exodia pieces?
The banlist. Also that these kind of decks are seriously weak to hand traps and struggle against any sort of backrow or disruption. (They also brick a lot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Ironically, the answer was in that very duel: Evenly Matched would break the entire board had the defender survived because, since it is activates from the hand, Jinzo cannot negate it. Or at least, I don't think Jinzo can negate it...there needs to be a new PSCT for that.

Additionally, if you break down the block:

-Dark Simorgh blocks sets
-Last Warrior blocks Normal, Special, Flip Summons
-Spell Canceller blocks the activation and effects of spells
-Majesty's Fiend blocks Monster Effects
-Jinzo blocks trap cards and effects on the field

The hole is that continuous effects, and grave/hand effects that aren't monster in nature are still open. So, if you had Breakthrough Skill ready for use in the grave after the Hand Destruction, it would be able to hit Spell Canceller, which would allow Interrupted Kaiju Slumber to blow up the field. Or, you could hit Last Warrior, then use Kaiju to vacuum up Fiend, who is the second-most (or perhaps most) threatening option on that set.

If Jinzo cannot block traps activated from the hand, something like Makyura which has a ridiculous continuous effect qualification, would allow unrestricted trap mayhem to search for an answer.
Evenly Match essentially plays the same as a Quick-Play Spell; its effect activates and resolves on the field. But you are right about Breakthrough Skill; Jinzo cannot negate it which means you can negate the Spell Canceller and kill the entire board with Raigeki (iirc you can't activate IKS since its effect needs to be able to resolve completely on activation).
Old 04-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #5286
phoopes
Double Dragon

ahh I forgot Breakthrough Skill, that'd do it

I guess if you dropped that field and then flipped a Macro Cosmos that might do it (assuming Breakthrough wasn't already in their graveyard). Either that or if you can find a combo that lets you get all of those cards plus Abyss Dweller out on the field to prevent graveyard effects
Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #5287
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Macro would be negated by Jinzo. I suppose Dark Law would prevent BTS from going to the grave, but that deck couldn't afford to run MC2s give how inconsistent it already is to make that engine.

I've made more hopeless fields than that - before Links, I'd summoned a field of Quasar + x2 Dark Law, Vanity's Emptiness set and Effect Veilers in hand. But the kicker was the opponent only had like 2-3 cards to respond with, and that's what is lethal. With enough cards and luck, you might be able to find an answer. But there's very little that break such a field.

Spoiler: show
The field I mentioned above was indeed broken up once. The opponent baited Quasar with Raigeki, then dropped Interrupted Kaiju Slumber as his final card.
I still won, but I forgot how. I think I mentioned that duel somewhere earlier in this thread. I was super overconfident and deserved a loss to a god draw like that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #5288
Emi

You could have flipped up Emptiness and it would have prevented IKS from resolving. Also as a note, Winged Dragon of Ra - Sphere Mode breaks that field.

My best board was Omega, two Decatrons (both as either Onuncu or Devyaty) and Sjette from Void Feast, Onuncu, and Overtex Qoatlus, which put a hand touch and 4 negates (with a D.D. Crow on the side) in play.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #5289
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I actually forgot Omega was part of my field too, but after the long chain of special summons I forgot to summon it back (and the opponent was similarly disadvantaged with 1 card less). The loop involved a -1 with Trishula, a -1 from Dark Law and then a -1 from Omega, leaving the opponent with 4 cards on their opening turn, without the ability to use any searchers or grave effects. Often, hand destruction then triggered a -2 on their turn but I was cautious against doing that due to fear of a search going through.

I didn't know at the time IKS couldn't resolve if the special summon wouldn't happen. Probably, the opponent didn't either, because if what you say is true IKS couldn't even be used while I had Vanity's up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #5290
Emi

https://ygorganization.com/zeroturnkill/

Ninjas, Valkyries, and Mischief of the Time Goddess confirmed for the newest set, Shadows of Valhalla. Meanwhile we're also getting Leon von Schroeder's fairytale monsters in Relentless Revenge.

That nostalgia boner is going to be fucking CHAFED.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #5291
Emi

Newly Forbidden:
Astrograph Sorcerer
Master Peace, the True Dracoslaying King
Phoenixian Cluster Amaryllis
Supreme King Dragon Starving Venom
Ancient Fairy Dragon
Rank-Up-Magic Argent Chaos Force
That Grass Looks Greener

Newly Limited:
Dinomight Knight, the True Dracofighter
Gem-Knight Master Diamond
Chain Strike

Newly Semi-Limited:
Apoqliphort Towers
Ring of Destruction

Unlimited:
Atlantean Dragoons
Grandsoil the Elemental Lord (w/errata giving it a HOPT clause)
Ignis Heat, the True Dracowarrior
Mathematician
Neo-Spacian Grand Mole
Compulsory Evacuation Device

A banlist no sooner than April May
Old 05-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #5292
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Grass Looks Greener is lawnmowing, isn't it? If so good riddance. AFD going away sucks but it was involved in too many loops...including my own.

And I'm going to stand by my long-held position that erratas have pretty much deflated the game. It started by introducing OPTs but then snowballed into completely changing the effects.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #5293
Emi

Didn't it start with completely changing the effects? :p

Grandsoil's HOPT clause was kind of necessary though. Probably the errata I'm most okay with.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #5294
Emi

Konami how about when you make the new Ninja support you give us some ~actually good targets~ to Super-Transform and Transform into

I spent way too long looking at six different monster types and having the only card that made me excited be Amorphage Goliath.

EDIT: Insect, Beast, Dinosaur and Sea Serpent might as well not exist. Wanghu and Scary Moth are the only good targets for the first two and the latter have nothing?????? I wish I could summon Ulti-Conductor ;;
Old 05-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #5295
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Use Kaiju. At least, I was waiting a long time for easy ways to search the Kaiju aside from IRS so they're not so situational draws. Insect and Dinosaur definitely have kaiju targets.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #5296
Emi

The deck really wants to go first though which is part of the issue. Yeah, Kaijus aren't dead draws, but they essentially are if you go first and if I want to summon them they're just...vanillas. Monsters with really big ATK that don't do anything noteworthy unless I want to run Waterfront which I don't because the deck is tight on space anyways, and I can't summon the best Kaiju in Gameciel. In addition because of the loss of Master Peace, pretty much any deck you would want to use a Kaiju on its usually better to run Sphere Mode or Lava Golem because they remove multiple monsters (for instance Gouki Knightmares, Altergeists, Pendulum Magicians, and True Draco).

I don't feel its a right fit.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #5297
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Without the deck details I don't know more.

In my deck, Radian had positive and negatives. If I was forced second against a boss it was useful. But going first, it being Dark allowed me to pitch it with Allure or Hand Destruction if necessary without big worry. Being Level 7 meant it could combo with Tatsunoko for a Level 10 Synchro (though there aren't any good ones with just two mats) versus the more typical Level 8 of which there are no really good Level 11 Synchro.

Radian's high attack was a problem, though. Very little I had outside of the superboss could run over 2800, and the opponent could just pitch it for Links. Gameciel and Kumongous were much better but had awful attribute and type, so they were relegated to nothing than big board counters. That said, it was good with Moonlight Rose, which was how I dealt with multiple monsters on the field.

Similarly, I can't use Sphere Mode or Lava Golem because I need the Normal Summon for Junk Synchron.

I'd advise looking in to other, more generic ways of searching Insect/Dinosaur first. I know Fossil Dig can't search the dinosaur kaiju but there were other insect things I was looking at when I ran Kumongous and Level Eater. It just adds more flexibility.

I haven't been on book in a while but I might have ditched using E-Teleport and Ghost Ogre, simply because while it was very flexible to bring out, the effects were not strong and I don't think it worked well with other cards.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #5298
Emi

I mean, its an actual Ninja deck which is why I wanted to know about good targets :p
Old 05-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #5299
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Reborn is unbanned whaaaaat? Maybe this happened and I forgot. All those blue borders, they blind mine eyes.

So you are looking for bosses? Or extra deck bosses?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #5300
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Reborn is unbanned whaaaaat? Maybe this happened and I forgot. All those blue borders, they blind mine eyes.

So you are looking for bosses? Or extra deck bosses?
Reborn has been unbanned for two banlists if I remember correctly.

What I was looking for was good cards that could be summoned off of Ninjitsu Art of Transformation and Ninjitsu Art of Super-Transformation since, on paper, both cards are extremely powerful and definitely have the potential to be really broken. Mist Valley Apex Avian has always been the standard Transformation target and Diabolos / Goliath are my Super-Transformation targets.

The issue is that there is barely anything worth summoning off of any of these cards. This is, in part, because neither card ignores Summoning conditions (this keeps strong Dinosaur monsters like Ultimate Conductor Tyranno and Overtex Qoatlus off the table) and because an outstanding amount of monsters aren't good enough. There really is a lack of good, non-situational cards that fit the bill of what I need. Hence why Kaijus are not that good here; they don't do anything if they're summoned unless I already have some source of Kaiju counters.

You do need the traps for Upstart Golden Ninja and I could play this as a generic Warrior.dek but at that point I should probably just be playing Goukis (I should probably just be playing Goukis regardless).

The Extra Deck is fine to be honest and I don't think it could really be improved. Well it could, but I don't know how.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment