My Thoughts Protect You

ahhhhh I cant wait till Dec 4th

http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony...dship+is+magic
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #1452
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaichuRocks View Post
*Bounces around room* YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYe sYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes!
Razor Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #1453
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

I love this show and everything it stands for, but far to often the so-called "fanbase" just sickens me.

I'm sorry, Lauren Faust, the Human Race just wasn't ready for or worthy of your creation
Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #1454
deoxys
Fog Badge

What are you on about?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #1455
deoxys
Fog Badge

A shred of hope.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #1456
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Raven View Post
I love this show and everything it stands for, but far to often the so-called "fanbase" just sickens me.

I'm sorry, Lauren Faust, the Human Race just wasn't ready for or worthy of your creation
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
What are you on about?
Yeah, I'd kind of like to know too.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #1457
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:

A shred of hope.
He's talking about Autumn and Winter, deo.

Don't pull my heartstrings like that.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #1458
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

When ARE the new episodes coming out? I was getting worried about the qaulity of the show about midway through Season 2, but Canterlot Wedding proved the Writers haven't lost it. So my hopes are up for Season 3 =o
Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #1459
deoxys
Fog Badge

No one knows yet, but the schedule for the rest of September is up and it looks like we're getting an October premiere at the earliest :/

I also want to point out, exactly one year ago from today S2 premiered. Happy Discord Day, everyone!

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #1460
deoxys
Fog Badge

Has anyone else kinda... disconnected themselves from the brony community? Or is it just me?

I've just basically gotten to this point with it where I'm tired of it. I've gone like three weeks now without hardly involving myself in it at all and it's been like a breath of fresh air.

The wait between seasons has driven the fanbase nuts. On top of that, I don't know... it just feels a bit.. I dunno, hugbox-y? And the whole 'love and tolerance' thing has really been so beaten to death it's annoying for me to hear it, and those who preach it don't even practice it. I dunno. I've just pretty much cut myself off from it altogether. Still listening to the music, but that's about it. Also, I've been getting more and more put off by a lot of bronies lately, not sure why.

I still love the show a ton, but I don't know if I'm even gonna really get back into the fandom like I was before. Might go to Bronycon next year still again because it truly was a good time and a nice vacation with a few friends, but other than that... /shrug

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #1461
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Has anyone else kinda... disconnected themselves from the brony community? Or is it just me?

I've just basically gotten to this point with it where I'm tired of it. I've gone like three weeks now without hardly involving myself in it at all and it's been like a breath of fresh air.

The wait between seasons has driven the fanbase nuts. On top of that, I don't know... it just feels a bit.. I dunno, hugbox-y? And the whole 'love and tolerance' thing has really been so beaten to death it's annoying for me to hear it, and those who preach it don't even practice it. I dunno. I've just pretty much cut myself off from it altogether. Still listening to the music, but that's about it. Also, I've been getting more and more put off by a lot of bronies lately, not sure why.

I still love the show a ton, but I don't know if I'm even gonna really get back into the fandom like I was before. Might go to Bronycon next year still again because it truly was a good time and a nice vacation with a few friends, but other than that... /shrug
It's how I've been from the start, really. I watch the show and browse some of the fanart from time to time and that's about it.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #1462
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It is how I too have been from the start. You'll have to forgive me for laughing and "I told ya so"ing real hard right now 'cause you were all "RRHDJDJI DUSDUOUID SDIOSIOSDI " last year when I said I enjoyed the show but really didn't care for bronydom at all. And now you're on the same side of the looking glass as me.

deoxys: No ... no ... that's not true ... that's IMPOSSIBLE!
Talon: Search your feelings, you know it be true!
deoxys: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! >_< Nooooooooooooooooooooo~!
orz

My IRL friend, the one who's the huge brony who does some important stuff in the community? Well, he's retired from a lot of it and is pretty much in the exact same position as you. Found this out only just the other weekend and was really quite surprised by it. Just like you, he pointed to the lack of real news coupled with Equestria Daily et al's incessant plugging of fluff news pieces, con announcements, and senseless S3 speculation as being major turn-offs for him. He used to read every single Equestria Daily article but says he now just skims their headlines and only clicks on the rare few that are worth reading. So it's definitely not just you, deo: it seems a lot of bronies are either (a) emerging from their fad cocoon and calming down or (b) like my IRL friend are being driven away from the fandom by clingy obsessive fans who can't just STFU and be silent in the absence of actual conversation-worthy topics.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #1463
deoxys
Fog Badge

> (b) like my IRL friend are being driven away from the fandom by clingy obsessive fans who can't just STFU and be silent in the absence of actual conversation-worthy topics.

I think this is me

am I your RL friend

I think I might be

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #1464
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
>Deo

I wasn't really hard in the fandom all that much to begin with but besides downloading some pony-based music I've really dropped away. Probably until S3 starts.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #1465
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I have a habit of jumping around fandoms and not really participating in any of them very fully (save Pokιmon, obviously), but Ponies is like the one fandom I have never been attached to at all. I've enjoyed the show and stuff but I've never really wanted to be part of the fandom or engage in anything outside of just watching the cartoon every once in a while.

I think fandoms can really ruin shows if you invest too heavily in them and so I tend to just drift over all of them and observe.

Also I don't really understand the appeal of a huge amount of the Brony fandom, so.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #1466
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

When I first saw stuff the Brony Community did, I was proud. They really embraced the warm, positive emotions of the show with beautiful artwork, amazing fanfiction, and a wonderful attitude

Fanfics like: "It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door" "A Day for Spike and Twilight" "The Light in the Darkness" and "Would it Matter?"

Here's some of the really good/touching artwork I'm talking about

http://ctb-36.deviantart.com/art/I-l...F47496111&qo=7
http://ratofdrawn.deviantart.com/art...47496111&qo=12
http://grampagort.deviantart.com/art...47496111&qo=68
http://peppersupreme.deviantart.com/...47496111&qo=71
http://darkknightwolf2011.deviantart...47496111&qo=90
http://vjmorales.deviantart.com/art/...47496111&qo=98
http://willdrawforfood1.deviantart.c...7496111&qo=104
http://thelivingmachine02.deviantart...7496111&qo=114

At the time, it really seemed like people were inspired to change for the better.

Nowadays, I see so much of the fanbase altering the characters to suit themselves, portraying Trixie as tragic and sympathetic, Celestia as a Tyrant, Discord as a harmless prankster, etc. Then there's the shipping, a little bit of shipping with characters that actually make sense is fine, but people seem obsessed with pairing every single character with every single other character. Especially the Mane 6! Good grief, I am so sick of Twilight/Rainbow Dash, a pairing I never saw happening period, but now is really aggravating me. Don't even get me started on TwilightxTrixie *shudders*

RainbowxApplejack, ApplejackxRarity, Rainbowxjustaboutanypony, geez. Not really "bad" ships per say, just people taking the smallest thing and using it as an excuse to pair them up, and ignoring everything else period, even if the pairing doesn't really make sense if you think about it

At first, it really looked like people were embracing the positive feel of the show, but they seem to have forgotten what it's all about

It saddens me that Lauren Faust and her team bent over backwards to give us such a quality show, and the fanbase has sullied it beyond recognition
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #1467
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Raven View Post
It saddens me that Lauren Faust and her team bent over backwards to give us such a quality show, and the fanbase has sullied it beyond recognition
I think it's very, very fair to say that the fandom has made MLP:FiM the rampant success that it is. Without the (frankly ridiculous) zealous support early on for this franchise by the bronies, MLP:FiM very probably would have just been a two-season affair meant to try and get little girls to buy the newest line of My Little Pony plastic toys and then that would have been it. You look back at the early (Fall 2010) comments of Lauren Faust's and other staff members and it's quite clear that they were happily shocked at how popular the show was. Happily, it bears repeating, but still shocked. They didn't expect what they were working on to be that big a deal.

One thing I think you have to realize -- liking it is an entirely different matter but I think you're only going to wind up being miserable if you can't allow yourself to like it -- is that for many bronies MLP:FiM is the West's answer to Touhou. Thus, you see a lot of the same fan behavior in MLP:FiM circles that you do in Touhou circles. All the pairings, all the character profiling, all the things you've railed against the bronies for doing are things which Touhou fans do with Touhou characters. And the similarities don't stop there. Just as ZUN (Touhou's creator) is very laissez-faire with his creation, so too did the staff writers of MLP:FiM seem to be pretty enthusiastic about fan concepts like Derpy Hooves, DJ PON-3, and Doctor Whooves. This "Western Touhou" appreciation is something I don't think you can expect to see disappear. The more you pull your hair out and scream and claw and wish it away, the more I think most of these bronies are just going to say "SUCKS FOR YOU ;P" and keep on' doing it. Not because they're trolling you but because you're railing against the very reasons why they so love this franchise. You can't do with Avatar: the Last Airbender what you can do with Touhou. You can't do with Batman or Spider-Man or X-Men what you can do with Touhou. But you can do it with MLP:FiM. Or rather, it has been done and has been being done since the very moment the fandom took root two autumns ago. I know people both online and IRL for whom the whole "Western Touhou" concept behind MLP:FiM is the very reason they're so into it. Many of them are also into Touhou and they're tickled pink that for once it's the Western fans who have the power to dictate what characters are like or who they pair with rather than the Japanese fans. Your misery is their ecstasy. I suggest you either find a way to put it out of your mind or else prepare for a miserable next couple of years while you play Chicken with them to see which party grows tired of the franchise first.

tl;dr if you hate the Touhou fandom then you've chosen a terrible franchise to be a fangirl of
Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #1468
deoxys
Fog Badge

I agree, Raven, I think my biggest gripe with the fandom was the crazy amount of fanon they push so hard as a whole to make as canon as possible. For instance, Derpy and Doctor Whooves, and Dinky is their kid? And then when Derpy and Whooves were standing next to each other in Hearts and Hooves Day, EVERYONE started shouting "OMFG IT'S CANON!"

I like Trixie, not because she's this caricature the fandom has made her out to be, but because I actually could see there being some redeeming qualities in her, or becoming a rival of sorts to Twilight. She's a trope that's been done successfully time and time again, but an adorable one.

But anyways, the fanon has tipped me over the edge, as with you (don't even get me started on 'Trollestia' and 'Molestia'). Hell, I never even read any fanfics. I tried, I did. I couldn't get past the first chapter of Allegrezza. I skimmed Rainbow Factory and read Cupcakes, that's about it.

Talon makes some good points, though. The whole thing really is just Touhou for the west, and people write so much fanfiction, shipfics, art, even now 22-minute fan episodes (the first of which we're supposed to get within a month from now?), so much to the point that a large portion of the fanbase creates a seperate AU for the fanon, mashes it with the real canon, and then creates their own new canon. I suppose this is due to the large amount of open and unused universe the MLP canon has established (lots of known locations and lore with little backstory).

But like Talon said, I think if anything they're grateful for the fanbase. No doubt the bronies made it as big of a deal as it is. The question is, can they retain the fans when they go for such long periods of time without new content?

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #1469
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I. Agree. With. Everything. On. This. Page. 0_o
(That's 20 posts per page)

(And to think, I only walked into this thread to note how my uni has a confirmed brony segment.)
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #1470
Razor Raven
Lonely Demon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I think it's very, very fair to say that the fandom has made MLP:FiM the rampant success that it is. Without the (frankly ridiculous) zealous support early on for this franchise by the bronies, MLP:FiM very probably would have just been a two-season affair meant to try and get little girls to buy the newest line of My Little Pony plastic toys and then that would have been it.
I'll admit I overlooked this. Though my point still stands, the fans are stealing the show away and trying to turn it into something it was never meant to be instead of being grateful for what they have. Much as I enjoy, say, TwiMac and TwiShy, it won't be the end of my world if neither of those ships come to pass, and there are actual real connections there (Little screentime as Twi and Mac have together)

I know nothing about Touhou so I cannot further comment there

Quote:
I agree, Raven, I think my biggest gripe with the fandom was the crazy amount of fanon they push so hard as a whole to make as canon as possible. For instance, Derpy and Doctor Whooves, and Dinky is their kid? And then when Derpy and Whooves were standing next to each other in Hearts and Hooves Day, EVERYONE started shouting "OMFG IT'S CANON!"
My point exactly. If the fandom had their way, the most implausible ships would be coming true left and right, no matter how much it would go against their canonical personalities, and no matter how little evidence there actually is.

Quote:
I like Trixie, not because she's this caricature the fandom has made her out to be, but because I actually could see there being some redeeming qualities in her, or becoming a rival of sorts to Twilight. She's a trope that's been done successfully time and time again, but an adorable one.
It's not that I really hate Trixie or even dislike her all that much, my gripe is how the fanbase insists on seeing her as nothing but a mistreated victim despite her going out of her way to be as much of a jerk as possible, while villainizing Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash. Plus making up a tragic past for her that doesn't match what we've seen in the show or outrageous claims, such as greatly overestimating her magical ability, etc I personally saw nothing redeeming in Trixie, and while I could certainly see her returning to cause the Mane 6 trouble that they'd have to solve WITHOUT relying on Twilight being several leagues ahead of her in ability, "rival" might be a strong word.

As for "Trollestia" and "Molestia", crap like that is why I'm part of the "Protect Celestia" club over on Deviantart. I know about "Cupcakes", and it's generally agreed that "The Light in the Darkness" is the perfect antidote =)
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #1471
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quite a lot of butthurt going on in this thread lately.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #1472
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
Quite a lot of butthurt going on in this thread lately.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #1473
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Eh. It's a popular show, people are entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. Disagreeing with them is fine, but to say that the show has been defiled by people you don't agree with is a bit harsh.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #1474
deoxys
Fog Badge

Old 09-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #1475
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Sometimes the fandom does amusing things, but I remember when the Luna ep was about to air they were all about to tear each other to pieces about which of their head canon Lunas was going to be in the show, most of them threatening to quit the fandom if she wasn't exactly like they envisioned.

Then she wasn't anything like what they envisioned, but was instead much better and the whining subsided. The question is, why not just leave it to the writers who aren't Merriwether Williams? If your headcanon gets in the way of the stories they're actually trying to tell, it's time to reevaluate your priorities.

I suppose what I want is different from most of the Brony fandom though. I like the occasional wink from the show, a Derpy hiding in plain sight or something, but I don't want the show to be all about the bronies- that seems like it would ruin everything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment