Talon87
時の彼方へ

Code:
Fury Swipes
Sing
Nasty Plot
Snatch
Source: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wik...able_for_Korea

Assuming you could never teach the Meowth anything else, this has to be one of the worst movesets I've ever seen on a Nintendo distributed Pokémon. Nasty Plot for absolutely zero moves that make any use of it. A terrible STAB physical move. One of the worst sleep moves in the history of sleep moves. And finally an unreliable move used to snatch stat buffs from others but only on the turns when they're actively trying to buff them. Man, what a joke.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #252
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Honestly, does anything use Sing? I see Hypnosis on occasion, but I never, ever see Sing.

Maybe Altaria?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #253
Emi

So, Smogon has released a new CAP Pokemon:

The Grass/Dark type, Malaconda.

Spoiler: show

Stats: 115 HP/100 Atk/60 Def/40 Sp.A/130 Sp.D/55 Spe

What this pokemon is supposed to do is equalize a metagame. It is supposed to discourage Water and Dragon types, increase the use of Fire types which would discourage Steel types, and give sun a viable answer to rain. I haven't tried it yet, but I have seen teams us it in Rain and work very well, which IS interesting.....

Just thought I'd put this here since it tends to be the comp discussion thread anyways.

Last edited by Emi; 04-30-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #254
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

At first I thought it was based off the serpentine dragon that guarded the apples of immortality in greek mythology, but it just occured to me that it could also be based off the well known biblical example.[/DiscussingFlavorOfMunchkinMon]
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #255
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Personal gripe: the design seems to be a bit at odds with the stats. ^^; Something as spiky as that should, if anything, have a higher physical defense than special defense. Not saying the design screams "low SpDef!" as it doesn't. Just saying that it screams "high Def!" The thing is covered with these huge spikes which look like they'd be quite painful to punch, fall on top of, etc. So isn't something which causes Pokémon to pull their physical punches a de facto high defense? Like, I get the point that could be made of "... well once you do actually punch it, the thing goes *SPLAT!* like a bug!", but that feels to me like a very half-assed apologetic defense of the design-stat mismatch. If they wanted it to have a naturally high SpDef, and considering most special attacks are things like streams of water, streams of fire, telekinetic waves, and so on, then I would've expected to see something like glowing auric symbols along its body (think Umbreon?). But yeah. Having those spikes, to me, suggests either 1) high Def and SpDef or 2) high Def but low SpDef. It doesn't suggest 3) low Def and high SpDef. ^^;

Grass tends to have good synergy with rain, ironically, thanks to Rain Dance slicing the power of fire in half, so I'm not really sure why they thought that this would encourage sun use over rain use. I mean, obviously Grass tends to enjoy sunlight more because of abilities like Chlorophyll, but still, that doubled weakness to Fire is nothing to laugh about for most of them, particularly not the ones with low speed and one particularly fragile defense stat ... like this guy has. ^^; To me, it sounds like they just gave rain teams an alternative to Ferrothorn. If inferior to Ferrothorn, then they won't adopt it, but they won't really care about its presence much either. (If it becomes a thorn in many rain teams' sides, they'll just start packing appropriate Flying, Fighting, or Ice-type attacks, or possibly Toxic, or possibly go for Scald to do some damage while at the same time crippling his Atk stat.) And if superior to Ferrothorn, then they'll merrily adopt it. But this is all speculation. Nothing really beats seeing it out in the open in actual use, so I guess now's a good time to see how it works.

You forgot to mention what its ability is. That could really make or break it. Looking it up myself, it seems like the two abilities they gave it were Harvest and Infiltrator. Harvest sounds like it could be particularly broken with ChestoRest and these stats, but I guess that'll depend on everything else, like its other attacks and what all the metagame throws at it to kill it. They did at least give it a pretty awful speed, so it's not like it'll be pseudo-priority ChestoResting on you at the top of every turn. Still. ^^; I'd be interested to see how this thing fares against non-legendary Flyers and Fighters and whatnot. Its defense is, despite its HP, still much too low, I think, for it to be able to weather a Choice Banded Staraptor's Brave Bird, but with the right setup and with the right opponents remaining on the field, I could see him being quite the nuisance.

I respect their ambitious goal of trying to reign the metagame in somewhat, but it is a tad disappointing that his typing isn't a more exciting one like Electric/Fire or Grass/Ghost. I guess they figured that GameFreak's probably got those bases covered anyway come Gen 6? Here's hoping! *crosses fingers* Grass/Dark is okay, but we already have a few failed experiments in that department, like Shiftry and Cacturne. Well, OU failed, anyway. Cacturne's pretty goddamn mean in UU, last time I saw. (Maybe that's changed as the metagame's evolved. *shrug*)
Old 04-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #256
Emi

Grass/Ghost?!!!

They already did that.

The Gen V CAPs are: Tomohawk(Flying/Fighting), Necturna(Grass/Ghost), Mollux(Fire/Poison), and Aurumoth(Bug/Psychic).

I'm curious on how Malaconda will fare to, so I'm getting on PO STAT to see what it can do.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #257
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh wow, I missed those first two you listed. I saw Mollux as it happened, and I remember Aurumoth, but I'd never heard of Tomohawk before today when I checked the list earlier and I must've completely missed Necturna.

Kind of surprised that they made five CAPs in just one generation though. Considering it'll only have been three years old come this October, it just seems kinda quick.

I like Necturna's stats much better than Malaconda's. In fact, I'm not even sure why I'd want to use him over her other than for his Harvest ability. (Necturna's Telepathy isn't too useful in 6v6 singles and Forewarn's a joke compared with all the other abilities out there. Yes, yes, it can be useful, not arguing that it can't. Just saying it's no Levitate, Intimidate, Water Absorb, etc.) Almost everything else about her strikes me as better.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #258
Emi

The rest of the CAPs listed were for Gen IV. There was 11 I think in Gen IV.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #259
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
The rest of the CAPs listed were for Gen IV. There was 11 I think in Gen IV.
Hmmmmmm. Always thought it was III + IV, not really following CAP to begin with. 11 in Gen 4, huh? So ... assuming they started in 2007, they've produced 16 fakemon in six years? That ... doesn't divide evenly. ^^; Like, at all. ^^;; Do they just do one whenever the hell they feel like it? Or is there some sort of rhyme and reason to things? If it were 16 in eight years, then I'd see the pattern easily. Or 16 in four. But 16 in six or seven ... hmm. ^^;;
Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #260
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Well, there were periods where they just sat down and took a good look at their process, iirc.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #261
Emi

That was when CAP started, so I think they just did whatever came to their head, like a specially offensive rock type. Gen V shows a little bit more focus on the metagame.

My first match with Malaconda.

Wow he is actually somewhat good. Taking only 52% from a Fire Blast from Hydreigon is very nice. I'm changing the berry to Lum though.

Malaconda also counters Alakazam. What is this blasphemy?

Last edited by Emi; 04-30-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #262
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm astonished that the match ended as it did.

Up through the point where he called back his own snake (when it was still 3-1 his lead), you were definitely losing or else tying that battle at every single step of the way. Not once did you really command what could be called the lead. Yes, he made a few bad switching decisions (mostly centered around the Kyurem phase of the battle), but he still comfortably held the advantage over you throughout.

Then at the end, when it's 3-1 his lead, rather than sacrifice his snake to your snake and get into a PP stall war with you and your Rest, he switches out to his Hydreigon. This was his big mistake. He needed to PP stall the Rest out of you (which I think he could've done given his own Synthesis strategy, even had you paralyzed him with Glare) and then, only when it was out of PP, should he have worried about going for the kill. He made you use it four times, so he needed only make you use it twelve more times. Doable given his SubSynth strategy, I think. Sure, paralysis would've been a bitch, but still.

Your battle does illustrate why Rest+Harvest > Synthesis+Sunlight though. I began to doubt myself halfway through the battle, thinking, "Y'know, did I tell Blaze wrong? " And maybe history will say that I did. But for today, I feel that this battle demonstrates why I told you right. The difference between your two snakes was that you had a way to get rid of Paralysis (from his Blissey) while he did not. That made your Glare a death sentence for his snake while it made his Thunder Wave only a flesh wound for yours. That probably is the #2 reason I can think of as to why he forfeited. Realizing he wouldn't likely win thanks to your ability to cure away statuses. The #1 reason, of course, would be impatience.

Anyway, congratulations on your win. Things didn't play out too well for you on occasion, but for the most part you battled well and in the end you brought your opponent to his knees.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #263
Emi

>I battled well

lol I suck but thanks for that. I realized that that a Tanga berry would be fun to soak up U-Turns...it is probably the item he had.

Check my sig, I have another match where I end up countering an Alakazam. Scary shit.

Just check this calc out(For FC Alakazam, the most common set):

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malaconda: 162-192 (37.32 - 44.23%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That is some special bulk, damn. Even with Life Orb it only 2HKOs, but with a Pokemon that can use a auto-Life move, you have to OHKO it to make any difference. I can stall Pokemon out of Focus Blasts, Fire Blast, soak up status...it nice. I like him.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #264
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
I realized that that a Tanga berry would be fun to soak up U-Turns...it is probably the item he had.
His moveset was Power Whip, Sucker Punch, Substitute, and Synthesis, so no, he didn't have U-Turn*. He probably was running Lum Berry + Harvest simply for the boons it offers against enemy-inflicted burns or paralysis. Nothing on his moveset suggests he was using a berry along with one of those moves. In fact, his moveset seems to suggest that he wasn't really designing a moveset with the ability much in mind at all. When he saw Harvest, to him it was probably more of an icing on the cake ability and less of a major crux of the moveset ability. This would also explain why he didn't have a Sitrus Berry (which makes good sense for a Substitute spammer): because movepool-wise he already had Synthesis to cover the base of HP recovery, so to him a Sitrus Berry would've been far inferior to a Lum Berry.

But you know ... he couldn't have had a Lum Berry either. ^^; (Or if he did, then he was really stupid to forfeit!) Because if he had had a Lum Berry, then he should've had no reason to fear your Glare. So ...
  • not Chesto (b/c why would he with that moveset?)
  • not Lum (b/c why fear your Glare?)
  • not Sitrus (b/c Synthesis + also we didn't see it activate ever)
So .......... yeah. Oh well. Don't worry about it.

* EDIT: Oh wow, for some reason I was thinking of the Sinnoh elemental berries as the Unova gems when you said Tanga Berry. ^^; Stupid me. Yes, he could've easily had a Tanga Berry to try and cover his 4x weakness to Bug, I quite agree. With the asterisked sentence, I was originally going for "He didn't have U-Turn and therefore wouldn't have had Tanga Berry either." My error.

Last edited by Talon87; 04-30-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #266
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein I repay the favor of a Gear Shifting Klink with a SubPunch Bulk Upping Poliwrath.1

Wherein I crush a Fire team's spirit with my courageous Durant.

1 Yes, in hindight I should've used Circle Throw to finish off the Ekans; but in foresight, I was worried about prematurely giving away that I had the move, in case it would be useful. Turned out that when I did end up using it, it was the worst case scenario. >_< ^^; (Should've made another sub that turn instead. Oh well! )
Old 05-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #267
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, as you can tell from the videos above, I decided to give Pokémon Showdown a bit more of a fair shakedown than I had previously done. I've put in, I dunno, one to two hours so far? It's an okay system, but I really do honestly prefer Pokémon-Online overall. And here's why. Here are some of my top complaints with Pokémon Showdown.

Problem 1. The Countdown Timer
My biggest complaint with Pokémon Showdown is how they handle user idleness. First off, the default setting is to not have a timer on. This is retarded. A, you're going to want to turn the timer on in 90% of cases, so why wouldn't you just make it the default and make not having any timer the user-enable-able option? B, by making it so that the user has to turn the timer on, it creates unnecessary drama with your opponent, particularly people who are new to PS. When people did it to me in my first few matches despite me going ASAP with moves and switches, I felt a little insulted and felt like these kids just wanted cheap wins via DQ. Then when I got into the habit of always turning the timer on at the start of a match (b/c of people who will idle ad infinitum if you let them -_-; ), I found myself on the other side of the fence: now I was the one who had to worry, "Am I going to be perceived as a jerk for doing this? " It's dumb. You can avoid all of that drama by just having the timer be on by default. If someone wants to turn it off, then they may, and then the other party can at that time go, "Wow, what a swell guy. " Until he takes 10 minutes between turns. Then it's time for the gloves to come off and the timer to come back on.

Problem 2. The Audio
On Pokémon-Online, I'm pretty sure there is the option to leave battle SFX on but to disable music. (Haven't bothered to check, and it's been a while since I've used it, but I'm pretty sure, because the PS way bugs me to Hell and back.) There's no such option on Pokémon Showdown. Either you have the music on (UGH -_-; ) or you have all of the sound turned off. Not cool. I want SFX on but music off. I do appreciate that PS has a wide variety of songs it randomly selects from (unlike P-O which only has one or two songs it chooses from in any given build of the software), but let's face it: Pokémon battle music is very annoying. You hear it over, and over, and over again, and it's very annoying. They've never found a good way of making good battle music that doesn't drive you crazy to hear it over and over again. It seems like all the battle music in Pokémon is 30-second ditties that then cycle over and over again. It's not like this example of battle music done right: five minutes of unique yet similar segments, so that the music suits whatever is happening in the battle at any given moment but at the same time the listener doesn't feel like he's losing his mind hearing the same exact notes over and over again. I dunno. This is a real problem that's gotta get addressed.

Problem 3. User Interface results in Multiple Battles Risk
In Pokémon-Online, when you choose to get into a new battle, you do so via a menu system that brings up a window. And when you click "OK" or whatever on that window ... it vanishes instantly. One click, one use. Once you click, there goes the window. This subtle design feature smartly prevents users from requesting multiple battles in a row by accidental misclick. Pokémon Showdown is designed differently. Pokémon Showdown has a static mouse-over button on the main interface, and you're to click it when you want to find a battle. Click it once and the button remains, along with the rest of the interface. So you can potentially click it again. And again. As many times as you like. And the server will queue you up for as many battles as you performed clicks. This is, frankly, terrible. Thankfully I've only had this happen to me once, but the one time I accidentally clicked twice and got pulled into two different battles was terrible for me (I can't really multitask well like that) and I ended up losing both in ways I usually never lose (0-4 for one, 0-3 for the other) because I made rushed decisions due to the 2m30s timer limit. And not just that, but also the fourth problem I want to address ...

Problem 4. Battles Pause When You Migrate Away From Them
This. is. terrrrrrrrrrrrrrible design. -_-; I'm sure somebody out there thought it was a great idea -- and that's why he designed it this way! For himself! -- but for 99% of us, I dare say, we don't want our battles to pause when we're multi'ing. We want want them to proceed so that when we mouse back over to them we can quickly assess (in less than 5 seconds) the current state of the battle and make appropriate orders. Instead, here's what PS did to me: Talon is on Battle 1. (Battle 2 has 60 seconds remaining before he'll be DQed.) He mouses over to Battle 2 ... and has to sit through 20 seconds of battle animations of the attacks that IRL were registered by the server two minutes ago but which Talon is only just now seeing for the first time. Fucking A, let me see what he sent out and let me make my orders! @_@ I don't have time for this bullshit! I'm not somebody who is into doing multiple battles, but I can easily see how PS's design decision would prevent people who like to do 4+ battles at a time from doing them. It would make exhibition multis by top-level battlers all but impossible: you'd be doomed to time out on at least one of the battles because of unexpected hangups in the others.

And last but not least ...

Problem 5. Butthurt Quitter-Children
I hate the slang term "butthurt", but good lord does it come to mind when describing over 20% of the people I've encountered on Pokémon Showdown. I have never seen so many people turn tail and quit so early in all my life. There was nothing like this on P-O -- not at this level! @_@ -- and I'm very grateful for it. What am I talking about? Here, here's an example fresh off the presses from today: a Turn 3 forfeit as follows:
Turn 0: I've led with Duosion. (Calm Mind, Psychic, Shadow Ball, and one other move.) He's led with Zekrom. I figure that he's not only almost certainly got Outrage but that he plans to use it too. Electric attacks get STAB too, sure, but Outrage is something which should surely OHKO Duosion, he hopes. And I fear much the same. So ... what should I do? Well ...

Turn 1: I switch out Duosion for Staraptor, my trusty friend from many an OU battle. I'm counting on the Zekrom to use Outrage and become locked into it. And I'm counting on Staraptor's Intimidate to cut Zekrom's attack power down, juuuuuust enough that he can survive one Outrage, maybe two. Sure enough, Zekrom does indeed Outrage. And much to my delight, it looks like it's only going to be capable of a 3HKO at best. Which means ...

Turn 2. I decide to Roost. I know I can suck up at least one more Outrage hit, and then I'll Roost, gaining back some HP. And then once the dragon's confused (if his outrage ends either this turn or next, doesn't matter), I'll lure him into using an Electric attack and switch in my Ground type. But lo! What's this? :o My Staraptor is ... faster than his Zekrom!? :> Oh, this is very nice indeed! Maybe I'll attack him next turn! Maybe I'll use keep using Roost and since I'm faster I'll lose my Flying type weakness before he can fry me with Electric attacks! Maybe I'll--

Turn 3: He forfeit. Are you freakin' kidding me, he forfeit. -_-; TURN 3, BATTLE'S BARELY EVEN BEGUN, AND HE'S FORFEIT. Are you that much of a pussy little wimp that it pisses you off when somebody a) calls your decision to Outrage and b) neuters both your Outrage (via Intimidate) and your electricity (via faster speed + Roost)? Seriously, dude?
And this is my problem with Pokémon Showdown. As annoying as Pokémon-Online's OU metagame was -- as much as it bugged me so bad I took a leave from the game -- nobody was a quitter. Oh, sure, not literally "nobody"! You'd run into a quitter maybe once out of every fifty battles or so! But nothing like this. Nothing like Pokémon Showdown where, I swear to God, it feels like one out of every five or six battles I go into ends before the tenth turn because my opponent runs away.

So yeah. PS isn't too too bad, but it's certainly not the bundle of roses that Blaze likes to make it out to be. I'll be updating my P-O client here in the near future and giving P-O another whirl to see what it looks and feels like. I doubt I'll stick with it for very long -- I've only been playing PS's Random Battle tier because I'm still burned out on the notion of playing in Übers Junior -- oh, I'm sorry, OU [/yeah fucking right] -- and miss the days when I could go into a battle and not see 2+ legends on over half the teams. Not to mention rain, rain, fucking rain. Argh. A true lesson in "Be careful what you wish for!" -_-; If only 2013 me could tell 2009 me how awful the metagame can become if you bring Drought and Drizzle into OU. Maybe then he wouldn't have wished so hard for it, been so delighted when he saw that his personal favorite Ninetales was blessed with such a godlike ability from the Dream World.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #268
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh look: another example. -_-; This was my third battle since making the post this morning. It only took three battles for me to run into someone who vanished ... after Turn 2. Because Heaven help the trainer who has to worry about Substitute *AND* Dry Skin on the same set! [/heavy sarcasm]

Anyway ...

Wherein Moxie proves itself a far greater gift than Mold Breaker.

Wherein Probopass proves itself the Pokémon world's equivalent of Rid-X.

Alternative title for the Moxie video? "The exotic 6-0 victory" ... or so I'd like to say, but it's actually 6-2 followed by a forfeit. But it probably would've been 6-0.

For the "Probopass = Rid-X" video, I admittedly screwed up with Snover. That was stupid of me to think that the hail would do enough to do Misdreavus in, never mind failing to consider that she may have a Hidden Power that I am weak to. I really should've used Giga Drain or Blizzard with him. Ah well: all's well that ends well! And after he got Durant's Stone Edge off against my Ho-oh, I don't think he can really complain. That was a terrible opening setup for me. I did notice that the guy's name was Toběas though, with an ě for the i. Isn't someone hear named Tobias on PS? Hopefully it wasn't the same person ...
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #269
phoopes
Double Dragon

Problem 1: I agree
Problem 2: Eh it doesn't really bother me but I can see how it'd bother some people.
Problem 3: I agree
Problem 4: I agree. Especially frustrating combined with number three.
Problem 5: Well you're statistically more likely to run into users that quit for a few reasons. One is that PS gets a lot more traffic than PO, we've had over 4000 users at peak times. With more people you're just statistically more likely to run into people who quit. Another is that you're playing RandBats (I didn't watch any replays but you said that iirc). People are more likely to quit with a bad team of randoms than one that they've built themselves. I'm guilty of giving up too easily myself in that tier. On the bright side you get free points on the ladder but I understand if you're just looking for a good match only it could be frustrating.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #270
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've written up a lengthy reply to your take on Problem #5 (spoiler: I lead off with asking if you even read my post or understand mathematics ^^; [/asshole]), but before I could submit it, I realized I needed actual experience outside of PS's Random Battle tier. So ... I bit the bullet, loaded up Pokémon-Online for the first time in months, went into the team builder section, and exported my team from P-O and into PS.

My first ever OU match on Pokémon Showdown

No idea why I started at 1007 according to the battle log's final bit. Like I said, I didn't even have an OU team in PS until today. I didn't even have a registered account until yesterday. (Had been playing unregistered until then.) And without either of these, it's not even possible to have played in OU before. Does PS not start newbies off at a straight 1000? Or ...? [/confused] I mean, hell, even the "/ranking" command reveals that I've had 1 W / 0 L / 0 T so far in the OU format. Oh well, not my glitch to fix. But since you apparently work for PS in some capacity, phoopes, figured I may as well point this out to you so that if it is a glitch you can tell your boss men to look into fixing it.

As for how my match went, you'll just have to click to find out. Commentary below though.

Turn 0: Fuck. I forgot that OU's default is to let everyone see what all's on your team. I hate that. -_-; I miss the days pre-Gen 5 where teams were kept secret. It's total horseshit (and has a serious strategic impact!) that people can know your entire team ahead of time now even if you don't want them to. At least give us the choice, GameFreak. Anyway ... given that he can see my intended lead of Piloswine, and given his clearly intended lead of Breloom, my best bet is to lead with Ol' Reliable, my lead throughout most of the pre-Platinum years of Gen 4, Staraptor. If he leads with anything else but Rotom-W, then I don't really care. And if he does, oh well, I'll just deal with it.

But as for this team match up, yikes! -_-; Talk about the OU Underdogs vs. the OU Champions! We've got in the red corner:
  • Mamoswine (bottom half of OU)
  • Starmie (top half of OU)
  • Togekiss (bottom half of OU ... or maybe UU? ^^; I forget)
  • Staraptor (Borderline, so the very bottom of OU at best)
  • Galvantula (bottom half of OU ... or maybe UU? ^^; Again, I forget)
  • Hydreigon (top half of OU)
So Starmie, Hydreigon, ... and then a bunch of my beloved OU benchwarmers. But over here in the blue corner, the roster reads like a Who's Who of Smogon's OU black tie dinner party! We've got:
  • Breloom (top half of OU)
  • Scizor (king of OU)
  • Rotom-W (top half of OU)
  • Latios (duke of OU)
  • Infernape (top half of OU)
  • Garchomp (prince of OU)
Good fucking lord. @_@ This is either going to go very well for me (b/c this is just some kid who lifted a team straight off of Smogon) or else very, very poorly (b/c this is a mid-grade OU veteran). Sigh, let's just get this over with ... -_-;

Turn 1: So I sent out Staraptor and he sent out Breloom. It's pretty obvious what he's going to do: hightail it the fuck out of there. And if he's an amateur, he'll be expecting Brave Bird over one of my other moves. In his defense, if he's predicting Brave Bird then the smart thing to do is to switch in Rotom-W. (As we'll soon see that he does.) But I'm not going to Brave Bird. Not on Turn 1, are you kidding? Not when you're 2x weak to Bug-type attacks. Not when I have U-Turn. Not when I have Choice Band. I'm totally going to scout you, dude, and counter-switch against you. And so I select U-Turn, my only prayer being that I pleaaaaaase do outrace Breloom. Which ... I comfortably do. He calls back Breloom for Rotom, I do a nice little chunk of damage, and I send out Hydreigon. (2x resists Hydro Pump, 2x resists Thunder/Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, doesn't care about Will-o-Wisp.)

Turn 2: So it's Rotom-W vs. Hydreigon. What shall I do? Well, I'll tell you what I'll do: Dark Pulse. It does a decent amount of damage, but sadly fails to flinch. Rotom gets off a Hydro Pump which sadly connects ... but happily does less than 25% damage. I can live with that.

Turn 3: I almost did pick Flamethrower. Sadly, I did not. I was actually expecting him to send Breloom back in since I still had the crafty fungus-bird on my mind. Figured he'd send it out, have it soak up a Dark Pulse, and then try and Spore me or something. So I almost did pick Flamethrower, and in hindsight, I sure wish I had. But not because he sent out Breloom, which he didn't. No, because he sent out Scizor, with his epic 4x weakness to fire. And no rain up, either. >_< Dammit. (Note: Scizor + Rotom-W + Breloom + no fire moves all match? This team would really like to be a rain team, dude. Ditch the Garchomp for Politoed, man. Much as it pains me to advise you to bring one more rain team into the world. -_-; ) Anyway, I went with Dark Pulse again, fearing he'd leave Rotom out and wanting to be certain I'd secure either the KO or the flinch. Neither happened, and I put only a small dent into Scizor. However ... :3

Turn 4: ROAST MANTIS, ANYONE? Bullet Punch sadly does a lot more than I thought it would. 55.2% HP damage, ouch. But hey: at least I survived. At least I eliminated the king of OU. One terror down, five to go. :'D

Turn 5: He sent out Garchomp. Now that Garchomp is back in OU, I may need to give Hydreigon back Dragon Pulse. I deleted it for Sunny Day, because my team desperately needed a way to take away rain from rain teams once the enemy Politoed was felled. And it just so happened, back in early 2012, that Dragon Pulse on Hydreigon was my one of my least used moves of the twenty-four on my team and that Hydreigon was the team member best situated to taking one for the team (a hit to his movepool) to change the weather. Anyway, point is, I don't have Dragon Pulse right now, and that's why you don't see me using it against Garchomp. A small shame, too, considering Dark Pulse did 46.4% HP damage and thus we might expect Dragon Pulse to have done over 90% HP damage. Factor in the dragon's Life Orb damage from this turn and the entry hazards that were to follow and yeah, coulda been a nice indirect OHKO. Oh well. I do Dark Pulse, he doesn't flinch (damn it), he Stone Edges, he doesn't miss (damn it! >_<), and Hydreigon's down for the count.

Turn 6: So I send out Mamoswine in between turns, and it's pretty obvious what he plans to do: GET THE FUCK OUT OF DODGE. Even if I've guessed wrong, I have a Focus Sash, and I'm pretty confident that getting entry hazards up matters more than finishing off Garchomp right this second, so ... I go ahead and do Stealth Rock, and sure enough, I've called his switch correctly. (That's two now. Two for three.) I'm starting to think my opponent may indeed just have copy+pasted this team from Smogon, but I dunno, he's not TERRIBLE, and it's still pretty early. Too hard to tell. Anyway, who does he send out? Why, Rotom-W, of course. No doubt to soak up what he thought was an incoming Ice Shard.

Turn 7: If we were to point to any one turn in this match as my opponent's big mistake, I'd say it was this turn. What he should've done was gone for Hydro Pump. Instead he uses Trick, trying to "break" my Mamoswine. Problem is, Jolly Mamoswine doesn't mind Choice Scarf that much. In fact, Loki even recommended I run Scarf Mamoswine back in Platinum, but the only reason I didn't was because of how goddamn fragile Mamoswine was against his weaknesses, hence why I run the sash. So yeah, Choice Scarf isn't the end of the world for me, though it's not the greatest gift either. However, what Rotom-W gets ... is several tons of woolly mammoth crushing his appliance frame into flat rectangles of steel. SUPERPOWER! Yeah. He should've seen that coming. Maybe he even did. But then why Trick? Yeah, no matter how you slice it, this was a mistake for him, and in the grand scheme of things, maybe even a costly one.

Turn 8: So in between turns, he sends out Breloom. I know what this means for him: a free opportunity to use Spore. So I have to choose who I want to send out. And in the end, the choice is still clear, sleep or no sleep: it's gotta be Staraptor. I mean, 1) Intimidate, 2) the fear that I wake up the very next turn and Brave Bird or U-Turn his ass may result in him switching out, 3) neutral to Fighting and resists Grass while others on my team are weak to one or both of these elements, and 4) other. *shrug* Besides, I say to myself, maybe he won't use Spore. (lol) Maybe he'll go straight for Seed Bomb. (lol) So that's when you'll want Staraptor to be out there and-- buh huh!? He used Leech Seed? Uh ... ooookay ... ... I'll take that.

Turn 9: BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE BIRD! But my delight is soon met with mild disappointment and horror as I discover my opponent's Breloom was wearing a Focus Sash. God dammit. Not Toxic Orb (OF COURSE, why didn't I notice this sooner!?) nor Life Orb, but Focus Sash. Well that's okay: at least now he can't Sub even if he wanted to. ^^; Though it's seeming less and less likely that he's running a SubPunch set, in which case FOOL! >O [/franziska von karma] Anyway, I reduce him to 1 HP, and it's now that he uses Spore, putting me to sleep. Leech Seed saps away some health, bringing him to 13% HP. What do I do? Well, the choice is clear.

Turn 10: I send out Togekiss, that's what. The other member of my team who resists Grass and is neutral to Fighting. Hopefully she can turn things around for us. His Breloom uses Low Sweep, doing marginal damage to the elegant airplane.

Turn 11: With Staraptor still asleep, my opponent can't use Spore on Togekiss. So he runs away, not willing to risk a speed war and probably not able to 2HKO her anyway. (I'm guessing that Low Sweep is complemented by Seed Bomb, so yeah, nothin' doin'.) Out comes Garchomp. The sand dragon takes Stealth Rock damage on entry aaaaand ... Air Slash! Knocked out the moment he was switched in; never even had a chance to do anything. When it comes to Garchomp, that's the way I like it! It's at this point in the battle, 5-3 my lead, with his Scizor, Rotom-W, and now Garchomp taken out, that I am beginning to feel confident in my ability to win this. But there's still that Latios, I keep telling myself. There's still that Latios.

Turn 12: So now it's Infernape's turn to play with the graceful glider. People call her a paper airplane, but they just don't know! They just don't know the majesty and the wonder of a Togekiss. Behold! She takes Infernape's Flare Blitz like a champ -- like a champ! -- and manages to do more damage to him with her weaker move in Air Slash. 75 base power vs. 120, yet 65.9% HP taken off of Infernape compared with 61.9% taken off of Togekiss -- and that's just a minimum assessment! We don't even know how much more she might've dealt him! Yeah, Togekiss is great. Regrettably, Infernape managed to burn Togekiss, but ... wait, did I say "regrettably"? (You'll see what I mean next turn.) So! Who does my opponent send out next?

Turn 13: Breloom!? Really? I guess my opponent's given up. You'd think he'd have sent out Latios. I mean ... Breloom can't very well Spore Togekiss thanks to her BRN status (thanks, Infernape! ), and Low Sweep isn't going to do shit, and even Seed Bomb might not be enough to-- whaaaaaaaat!? D: You mean you used Low Sweep and it managed to shave off 17% of Togekiss's HP, KOing her after all? D: Rats. And here I was hoping for a possible 5-0. Ż3Ż

Turn 14: In between turns, I send out Mamoswine. It's sort of redundant to have Choice Scarf on top of Ice Shard -- I run Ice Shard over Icicle Crash precisely because I don't run a ScarfSwine and precisely because of Ice Shard's priority -- but hey, who's complaining? ICE SHARD! Breloom's down and out, and it's now 4-1. Time to face off against the Pokémon I've most been dreading this entire match. (Although admittedly, I'm in a pretty decent position right now to take it on.) Time to face off against ...

Turn 15: Latios. I know from many past experiences that Ice Shard won't be able to OHKO this bulky beast. My only hope for a 4-0 victory is if Draco Meteor fails to OHKO Mamoswine, but that's so unlikely, and-- WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? Critical Hit Ice Shard for the OHKO? SEAKING MAMOSWINE FUCK YEAH!

A bit of an anticlimax -- nobody admires a win by crit hit ^^; -- but I think you guys can all agree that I outmaneuvered my opponent here from start to finish and that even without that critical hit on Ice Shard I pretty much had this one in the bag. Without a Choice Scarf on Latios, he's outsped by Galvantula (Bug Buzz) and Starmie (Ice Beam). And with it, he's choice locked into whichever move he picks. And outside of him picking Dragon Pulse, I'd favor my odds in that situation too. Also, you've gotta admit: crit hit or not, the fact that I managed to OHKO a Latios with an Ice Shard (base power: 40) is pretty sweet. Definitely goes to show you just how powerful Mamoswine is. If only he had better bulk ... *sigh*

All in all, not a bad first match. A 4-0 victory by Team Underdog over Team Smogon. Definitely pleased with that result.

As for more battles, I might do some later tonight, but more likely I'll hold off until tomorrow. There's a Strip Search stream on YouTube I'd like to check out that starts in half an hour and will run for at least two hours. And there's also the matter of giving phoopes a chance to report the glitch I noted to his higher-ups. (And if it's not a glitch, cool, let me know so I'm not twiddling my thumbs for no good reason.)
Old 05-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #271
Emi

Just a few things I might want to point out, simply because you might now know.

Galvantula is RU now.
Togekiss is UU, but it was last Gen to so no big surprise there.
Breloom is one big bad mofo. No longer do you see the SubPunch sets that were so common Gen IV. Now, all the credit lies in the amazing Techiloom set, with Spore/Mach Punch/Low Sweep/Bullet Seed. Yes, Bullet Seed. His set was stupid anyways, but keep in mind, if Breloom is coming out first, it's sashed, and your Mamoswine is beaten by it.
Infernape is definetely low-half OU now.

And I love the Scarf Hydreigon set. Hydreigon needs more love and to NOT FALL TO UU PLEASE!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #272
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's pretty ridiculous that Galvantula is so low even if I gotta admit he's #5 or #6 on my team in terms of clutchness ^^;. Just two points shy of Gengar's Speed, a pretty decent SpAtk of 97, ... yeah, I can see why people don't like its fragility, but Alakazam's pretty damn fragile, yet you don't see that immediately condemning him to the realms of RU! And while I'm not going to sit here and claim that Galvantula is Alakazam, I will say that he offers a very fun, very useful (for my team) STAB combo of Electric and Bug.

I dunno. I like the electric spider. :< RU? Seriously?

... haow.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #273
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
That's pretty ridiculous that Galvantula is so low even if I gotta admit he's #5 or #6 on my team in terms of clutchness ^^;. Just two points shy of Gengar's Speed, a pretty decent SpAtk of 97, ... yeah, I can see why people don't like its fragility, but Alakazam's pretty damn fragile, yet you don't see that immediately condemning him to the realms of RU! And while I'm not going to sit here and claim that Galvantula is Alakazam, I will say that he offers a very fun, very useful (for my team) STAB combo of Electric and Bug.

I dunno. I like the electric spider. :< RU? Seriously?

... haow.
Galvantula suffers from the fact is a Bug type, which means any Pokemon that walls Bug tends to wall it as well. In OU, the blobs wall it to hell and back. Tornadus outspeeds it I think, yes it does, and just murders it with Hurricane. The Lati twins are the same. Then add in that Choice Scarf Keldeo and Terrakion are so common....

In UU, it is stopped by the same pokes as Yanmega. Registeel can paralyze it, while Snorlax just hurts it bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smogon
No matter what you do, Snorlax will stop Galvantula in its tracks with its patented special tanking skills. It can seriously cripple Galvantula with Body Slam or Return (or outright OHKO if its running a Choice Band), and it can even outmaneuver Galvantula and trap it with Pursuit.
Ru is a good place for it. Though Steelix does whatever it wants to on it.

The only reason Alakazam is OU is Magic Guard in all honestly. He can never be 1HKOed because of it with a Focus Sash, and he rips through stall with a Life Orb.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #274
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

All my favorites should fall to NU so I can annihilate with them. >

(Galvantuala is pretty badass, despite their relatively low Sp Atk.
Quote:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #275
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
All my favorites should fall to NU so I can annihilate with them. >

(Galvantuala is pretty badass, despite their relatively low Sp Atk.
Galvantula falling the NU would be hilarious, because,

11 | Galvantula | 12.85463% [Source]

That isn't going to happen anytime soon. Galvantula is perfectly happy in the Ru tier.

If it were to fall into Nu, it would be unstoppable, since there are all of NO good special walls in NU outside of Shitishity and Gardevoir.

Also, Beheeyem in NU is equivalent to an atomic bomb.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON