UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #101
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

I dun see much beyond a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of GO players who've only experienced the series on mobile plopping down $300 for a Switch and $60(?) for these games. This move seems very misguided. I think Nintendo still doesn't get mobile gamers. They hit big with GO and FE but their other mobile stuffs quietly faded away. An this'll be another failed attempt to get at mobile gamers. However with Nintendo abandoning cheap handheld gaming they gotta try something. Won't be surprised if Gen 8 sales suffer due to pricing even if Switch does drop by then. There's still that huge difference between $40 games an $60 ones.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #102
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Spoiler: show
There wasn't held items in the original Gen I games
This is a weird critism to hear because

A) FRLG had held items
B) This game is going to have the new types, the retcon type changes, and alola forms as well.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #103
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
No I get you but it doesn't make the game play itself. Obviously Gen I didn't play itself without hold items.

The rest of your complaints on that point are 100% valid though.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #104
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
No I get you but it doesn't make the game play itself. Obviously Gen I didn't play itself without hold items.

The rest of your complaints on that point are 100% valid though.
Ahh the playing itself comment was that combined with the exp share (which has been confirmed you can turn off) and forcing you to use certain types to enter gyms. You dont fight in wild battles anymore, they got rid of held items, and they hold your hand in gyms like.. what the heck? I want to be optimistic here but they're not giving me anything to work with. Like what the heck is going to happen when you go to the e4?

Overworld Pokemon still has the potential to be cool depending on how that works but.. overworld Pokemon should be a thing in a real open world Pokemon game, not having them confimed to tiny grass on sealed off routes.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 AM   #105
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"I'm the furthest thing from a hardcore gamer as you can get and even I think that if catching Pokemon in the main games is too hard for you, you're simply too stupid to play video games."

So apparently there was a recent Famitsu interview with Junichi Masuda, in which Masuda divulged that he believes the classic catching mechanics might be too difficult for some players -- and that this is partly the reason why LGPE has opted for Go-style capture mechanics over the traditional formula. Apparently "this was a controversial decision even at Game Freak, but Masuda says that as he is the director it's 'his responsibility'."

... Well.

You might imagine the reactions this news is generating online. Serebii Joe's Twitter feed is flooded with criticisms. Reddit is flipping tables. News sites like this one are getting mostly critical replies. Bulbagarden appears to be calmer than most places. And we're a graveyard. But hey, a sample of the responses I've come upon:

"Catching was always part of the challenge... where's the thrill without the hunt? Just going to give every new player a diploma and a pat on the back for figuring out how to open the game?"

"I was about to argue that it's okay to let people struggle a little to figure things out, but then I remembered that this mechanic was perfectly spelled out for you even 20 years ago in the only handholdy part of RBY that everyone skipped anyways so the fuck is even the point of giving this nonsense the time of day"

"I'm speechless."

"Most of us played the original games when we were kids, how is it we played these games just fine as kids and now they have to be dumbed down for today's generation?"

"Oookay... So I usually try to stay on the positive side of the Pokemon fandom... but I think Masuda has lost touch with the core Pokemon players and actually have no idea what they think. Not just this instance, but he keeps calling Pokemon too complex or hard and simplifying it. WhY?!?!?!"

"So how did tens of millions of 90's kids get on with it just fine? I'm lost."

"I have no idea why Game Freak continues to act like kids nowadays dislike games that they'll have difficulty mastering straight away. The biggest games for kids this decade have been Minecraft, Fortnite, and perhaps GTA V (despite the rating). Minecraft offered practically no instruction to help new players and became one of the biggest games of all time, Fortnite has a strong community of skilled players, and GTA is GTA."

"I feel like they assume all kids nowadays will jump ship if they fail anything once."

But there is at least one ray of sunshine, one spot of good news: Shota Kageyama is slated to return as LGPE's lead musician. This is pretty phenomenal news in my opinion -- in fact, if I'm disappointed by this news at all it's because I'm worried it means his being in charge of LGPE's music means he's not in charge of Gen 8's! But oh well. In case you don't remember who Kageyama Shouta is, click here to rediscover his contributions to Pokémon's musical repertoire.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:03 AM   #106
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Apparently a better translation of that interview is out, and it comes off a lot less insane.

https://nintendoeverything.com/pokem...echanics-more/
Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #107
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thanks for that. I kept looking for a raw to be linked in the discussions I pored over, but nothing ever surfaced. Would be nice to see the interview in its raw, original form so we can see how nuanced or clear the language is, but honestly this is probably good enough.

A good quote from the article MM linked:

"Masuda: It was a daunting task we took upon ourselves, for sure. There was considerable debate within the team concerning the absence of wild Pokemon battles. Up until this point I had been steadfast in defending the mechanic as the series director; this time, though, I felt like we should try to change things up a bit. Personally, I’ve always felt that the weakening and capturing mechanic is a bit like fishing – there are people that aren’t fans of that kind of strategy, though. To that end – as I mentioned before – I wanted to make these games more enjoyable for a wider audience of fans. As such, we simplified the mechanics. Until now, catching Pokemon has been vaguely reminiscent of fishing, whereas I’d liken the new mechanic to catching bugs with a net. I have to wonder if people will enjoy that sort of straightforward mechanic more so than the previous mechanic."

While this version of the quote corroborates the notion that the team is split on whether to preserve the original capture mechanic or try something new, what's different here is that Masuda is clearly enshrined as one of the OG defenders of the tried 'n' true -- until LGPE, whereupon he decided to finally let the other faction have their chance at a new mechanic. At least, that's the narrative presented here.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #108
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Something I thought of earlier this week~ On a scale of *Nebby not staying in the bag* to "Battle Frontier coming soon" how trolly would it be to exclude all non-Gen 1 pokémon BUT keep in moves exclusive to Gen2+ pokémon via Metronome?

"Clefairy uses Metronome!" *randomly rolls OBLIVION WING*
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:45 AM   #109
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Entirely possible. They're likely to include full movesets anyway so it's likely mostly just a case of animating legendary moves, which'll probably be back-stored in preparation for Gen 8 anyway (which will probably use the same graphics and whatnot as LGPE).
Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #110
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There are some new short videos showcasing different following Pokémon animations. They include Venusaur, Caterpie, and Golem, as well as previously-seen Onix and Electrode. They look nice; some of them like Golem are 1:1 with the anime and are sure to please everyone, while others like Venusaur provide a somewhat different take on Venusaur's physiology and I imagine may disappoint some while delighting others. Regardless, they all show that the team thoughtfully considered what the Pokémon would look like if they were real beasts with their canon designs and were to walk or run.

I've long felt that Venusaur looks a lot like a toad, body-wise, from like his Generation 3 design onward. So I honestly kinda like how they have him hopping like a toad rather than walking like an elephant (as he was depicted in the anime). I still think of Bulbasaur as part-reptile part-plant, rather than part-amphibian part-plant ... but at the same time, Bulbasaur is by definition an amphibian, a lifeform born of two worlds. Two kingdoms, in Bulbasaur's case! I dunno. Guess I can start thinking of the Venusaur line as proto-reptiles that are halfway between modern amphibians and modern reptiles.

Golem's animation, on the other hand, I see creating no disagreements whatsoever. It's a nod to what we've already seen in the anime -- and it works perfectly to help the lumbering, heavy Rock-type keep up with his fast-running trainer. It looks so very natural -- and that's key. The animations need to look natural, they need to look like they belong to the real world and if Pokémon had a place in it, if they are to both delight us and not shatter the illusion.

Hopefully what we're seeing here will be carried over to the Gen 8 games. These animations are so much more detailed than the ones in HGSS, and the total number of creatures has nearly doubled since back then. If it was a lot of work to generate these animations, then surely they would intend to carry over that hard work into the future, as they did with the Gen 6->7 battle animations, rather than leaving it behind in LGPE once we move on to Gen 8.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #111
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Yeah, the Venusaur one surprised me somewhat, but once the initial shock passed, I found I liked it. Also, it's kinda cute how you gotta stop every so often if you want Caterpie to keep up with you.

I honestly can't wait for these games. Yellow was my very first game, so there's a major nostalgia factor for me here. I've pretty much decided on my team for Let's Go Pikachu- I'll be using Pikachu, Weezing, Victreebel, Nidoking, Kingler, and Alolan Persian (I know the Bellsprout line is exclusive to Let's Go Eevee- I've already arranged to trade an Oddish to a friend of mine for her Bellsprout- she'll be getting Let's Go Eevee and plans to use a Vileplume, so it all works out).
Old 08-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #112
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

I've always seen Venusaur as a toad, I actually had an ASB sig that had a Venusaur hopping and bouncing lol. The big thing for me from the videos was Caterpie though. I love how it can't keep up, lags behind then races in when you slow down/stop. Following Pokemon in HG/SS was awesome, I loved it and I've been wanting them to bring it back. This is a whole other level though, not only can we ride our Pokemon (you can bet I'll be riding an Onix everywhere) but just the detail in that they aren't stuck in the spot right behind you.

Also, I like that the cut tree actually looks like something you would have to cut through.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #113
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Venusaur doesn't necessarily retcon previous methods of locomotion, since frogs can walk like lizards when they want to. I've always thought of Bulbasaur as taking cues from both lizards and plants, so I welcome the change.

It's much more forgivable than, say, Blastoise in Smash who got non-reptilian limbs to allow him to perform the moves.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #114
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

I mean, bulbasaur and ivysaur do seem reptilian- it was always just venusaur that seemed remotely toadlike to me. So yeah, count me on the camp for "not surprised by venusaur at all".

On the flipside, of course, there's my brother asking a pretty distinct question: how does golem know where and when to turn, and do so with such accuracy. I'm chokking it up to simple tremorsense, but that's a bit lacking of an explanation at the moment, no?

As much as caterpie lagging behind makes all sorts of sense, I did notice that it just teleported back behind the trainer when the distance became too great between them. I guess that gives players two different styles to interact with it- be nice and let it catch up on its own, or run on ahead without a care as to how disoriented your little caterpillar friend gets as you go. At least you don't have to worry about hungry pidgeotto attacks quite as much?

Yeah, blastoise' model in Pokken (it's like Smash, but Pokemon-only and a good number of totally different mechanics) was... something else. Why is it so lean, and who decided that a tortoise should look kinda rubbery and then succeeded in convincing the rest of the model staff of that? Surely someone would've gone like "hey, uh, tortoises are more scaly" or something! It does get points for the localized Rain Dance+ Rain Dish combo it pulls if Dual Phase, though- nice to see Abilities actually playing a role for once, no? ...But this is a bit off-topic.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #115
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gonna chock that one up to magnets. How can Geodude fly? Probably magnets as well...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-05-2018, 12:31 AM   #116
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Actually I don’t think it was due to distance, it was due to the route changing. It seemed to happen as the trainer went from the route into the city.

Yeah magnets is the best option for explaining Golem.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #117
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

BORKED

New Japanese and English trailers for LGPE are out. They showcase what the recent CoroCoro issue does: Vermilion City, Lt. Surge, the S.S. Anne, and Jessie and James.

Notice how in the Japanese trailer, the player appears to have their choice of whether to evolve Charizard into Mega X or Mega Y. Does this mean they combined the two Charizardites into one stone?

I really dislike the art direction for the overworld in this game. It breaks my heart, as someone who has wanted an HD-ification of Kanto for a long time. I was really hoping to see them expand and flesh out the map, and instead it's so ... faithful to the point of oversimplicity. It feels like a huge step backward from the cities of Alola and the landscapes of both Kalos and Alola.

However ...!

I really love the art direction inside the gyms. Brock's is necessarily(?) simple, but Misty's and now Surge's have really pleased me. I don't like how tiny they look, again, but man oh man do I love Surge's "box" once your battle with him actually begins. As if out of an episode of Dr. Who, it grows to an impossibly large area ... but boy oh boy is it detailed (compared with what we're used to)! The posters, the freight containers, the brick walls ... THIS is what an HD-ification of older games was meant to be like! Lending visual character to settings that were previously limited by the limitations of older hardware.

Lot of Blastoise fans upset that Blastoise's torrential water appears to be coming out of his ... forehead? instead of his two (and, as the mega, three!) cannons. Can't say I blame 'em. This is the sort of expectation we hold for the HD era of Pokémon games. No more lazy Stadium-esque "one size fits all" animations. You should be able to customize animations to suit the model. Maybe not all 300+ attack animations, sure, but there probably ought to be character-unique subsets -- projectile water, in Blastoise's case -- that fit the mould.

THEY RETCONNED SURGE'S NICKNAME! He's gone from the "Lightning American" to the "Lightning Lieutenant" (USA/EUR) or the "Lightning Tough Guy" (JPN). WHAT THE HELL, GAME FREAK!? This doesn't bode well for them preserving references to his Americanness in the game text, but we'll see ... (If you insisted on doing this, Game Freak, why not at least let him become the "Lightning Unovan" now that Unova is a thing?)

The Female Rocket Grunt with the Zubat is beautiful. The dude, meanwhile, is just some generic-looking baddie. ^^; Sorry, ladies!
Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #118
Emi

>Sorry ladies

Me, a lesbian: *sweats*

I'm actually real talk, loving the remixes of the older themes. The music that plays in the Rocket Hideout and Sylph Co in RBY was a favorite of mine and mmmm this is good.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #119
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

>yfw this is the world Rainbow Rocket Giovanni came from

A bit of a tangent...but the Sun/Moon anime doesn't really look like it's ending any time soon. M22 also is going to be a remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back. So, I'm skeptical as heck that Gen 8 will start any sooner than next Fall, fitting with my prior predictions.

Edit: Also, while Surge is supposed to be in the US Army, his uniform is much more strongly reminiscent of the Marines. His HG/SS uniform is 100% Marines except for the boots, which are taken from the Navy. If he was a fighter pilot, he could NOT have been in the US Army, as the Army doesn't fly jets at all.

Rolled sleeves is a Marine-only thing, it was actually banned by the Army for many years. The Navy may also roll sleeves when stationed with Marines.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 08-10-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #120
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Big news from Serebii about LGPE mechanics. Of note:

-Physical/special split
-No abilities
-No held items

So I'm just speculating here, but I guess Mega Evolution will be limited to a cosmetic change, a type change, and a stat boost? If this is the case...it's pretty terrible as it means there's no longer any value in your base evolution, it exists just to go full Kalos on opponents.

That said, the presence of the p/s split but no abilities makes this like Ultra Ruby/Ultra Sapphire rather than Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. Abilities were introduced in Generation III and the p/s split in Generation IV, but meta would have been very different in Gen III had it happen in reverse. Thinking back, a physical/special split seemed more natural than abilities, since we already had the special split in Generation II.

It'll be interesting to see how this shapes out. I think Smogon could easily do a what-if format but I doubt anyone would be interested...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #121
phoopes
Double Dragon

Well, there goes any hope of me buying this game. At its core it's definitely Pokemon but it's too oversimplified. Pass.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #122
Emi

What a tremendous step back all things said.

You cowards just go back to glitchy Gen I battle system
Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #123
Miror
Marsh Badge

I was mentioning on Discord that this is clearly the most true to the source remake, except they made your Pokeball missing your own fault c:

EDIT: One decent thing coming out of what Serebii mentioned is that the whole "you need X type to get into this gym" thing is only required for the first entry into the gym, you can immediately box whatever it was and never worry about it again and don't have to use whatever Pokemon you scraped up to make it past the requirement within the gym at all. From what he mentioned, the partner Pikachu/Eevee also seems to have higher base stats than standard which will help it not be a mostly deadweight HM slave.

Last edited by Miror; 09-18-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Miror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #124
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Pikachu having higher base stats makes sense because it's that way in the anime, too. Meowth outright says a couple times Ash's Pikachu is more powerful than a Raichu, and that idea goes a long way at explaining the trail of bodies Pikachu has left in his wake over the years.

But, it isn't clear if it's "higher base stats", "252 EVs in all stats" or both like in Generation I. The Gen I Pokemon were originally balanced around Special and the DV equivalent of 252 EVs, so the special split (which led to a lowering of average BST) and then the EV cap severely gimped most of the Gen 1 Pokemon that weren't already min/maxed. I would imagine a G1 environment with those adjustments.

Another note is that people don't realize that Viridian through Pewter is actually massively unfair to a new player. Most of the Pokemon there are Normal type, so they get STAB on all of their attacks. Pidgey now gets STAB on Gust, Rattata gets STAB on Quick Attack and Tackle. Viridian Forest is filled with poison. Diglett, Sandshrew, Onix and Geodude with any decent Rock/Ground moves will bury all the starters not named Squirtle, and Vine Whip is physical, so Bulbasaur would have problems too.

Needing a Water/Grass I think reverses one of the major problems of Gen I in that you can't go down the Mt. Moon corridor to train to beat Brock, you have to beat Brock first which means hunting in the grass for weak Pidgeys/Rattatas and wasting time. Presumably, this will allow you more freedom rather than handhold the player.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #125
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Based on screenshots from the trailers, people have figured out:

-Eevee's coverage moves all have 90 BP
-LGPE Pikachu has ~base 160 SpA

So much for the "no hand-holding". Here's some evidence:

If you bump these numbers up to Level 100, you get

HP: 231
ATK: 179
DEF: 139
SPA: 413
SPD: 159
SPE: 299

I'm guessing GF gave +100 to SpA and +10 to Spe, with max EVs possible in every stat. That means this demo Pikachu probably doesn't have max IVs. But it's still inferior to a Raichu with only 508 EVs. Also hits less hard than Light Ball Pikachu.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News